Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 01-13-2020, 05:57 AM
SWCA Member
Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks  
Liked 7,111 Times in 1,896 Posts
Default Recently sold pre war N frame stocks

These sold last noght on E-bay for $255: Smith & Wesson N Frame PRE WAR PW Service Grips Diamond Center S&W Deep Dish | eBay

A decent pair, but some imprefections to the rim of the medallions and general scuff marks. I thought a really good pair of these was valued at around $200, and a pair in this condition somewhat less, but certainly well over $150.

Two bidders at the very end bid these up. One bid $250, and the other $255 or more, how much more is unknown.

Maybe these have surged in value lately ($255 is over 20% higher than $200, and I wouldn't have thought this specific pair to be worth that.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 AM
SWCA Member
Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks Recently sold pre war N frame stocks  
Liked 13,771 Times in 4,041 Posts

Two bidders going after a single, not commonly found item. Perhaps they got caught up in the moment?

I needed a specific part for a Model 1895 Winchester. Fortunately no one else was idding but I would have taken it up in order to complete that rifle.

Kevin
Old 01-13-2020, 11:41 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,967 Times in 3,664 Posts

I see phrases such as "valued at", and "worth that" almost as though we're looking through a merchant's catalog and price list. Now, if we actually are merchants, and are buying for resale, then we have to know what things are valued at----what they're worth----and we have to buy them for substantially less than that. Otherwise we need to find other employment----or move to our cemetery plot.

These things---anything at auction are valued at whatever an individual buyer who desperately wants them are willing to pay. If no one in attendance desperately wants an item, then it's going to sell for what one might consider a reasonable price----maybe even a price that's dirt cheap. (Don't hold your breath waiting for that one.)

I vividly remember buying----make that trying to buy my first Triple Lock Target----------at an auction-----almost exactly 20 years ago. I've done my homework. I know what these things are worth----what they're valued at. A really nice one is worth $5,500. I have that much, and I'm willing to spend it. About two seconds into the auction the nice lady helping me on the phone says, "He's at $7,000, do you want to go to $7,500?" Now $7,500 plus the buyers premium is $8,500---and change. And that's more than I have to spend. I find no solace in the fact the gun isn't worth that----or valued at less. Right then and right there, that gun is worth $7,000 (++) to someone with more money than good sense----and it ain't me.

Damn it to hell anyhow!!!

Ralph Tremaine
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 02:50 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,111 Times in 1,896 Posts

I think what I was getting at, that, independent of a bidding war, perceived or otherwise, is an above average, but still not pristine set like these now worth about $250, and a pristine set $300 +, or was this just out of the ordinary?

I have been searching for a decent set but haven't been successful lately. There is a perception out there that these are "rare", but they are not.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,926 Times in 331 Posts

Yes these did bring slightly more than I anticipated as well. I sold a very nice set for $255 on eBay probably 6-9 months back. Prior to that I paid $300 for a like new set for my Triple Lock. So really what’s $25-50 when you want/need a set? Furthermore, I know they made thousands of these but finding an original high condition set is becoming much more difficult. I recollect seeing a handful last year on eBay. Lastly, you most likely saw what DCs auction brought for a nice original triple lock with wear bringing nearly $4k last night. My general rule of thumb is that grips are 8-10% of the value of the gun. Just my 0.02.
SWCA #3106 - SWHF #643
Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,305 Times in 1,444 Posts

What someone is willing to pay for grips can change week to week. You might see a set near identical to that set go for 175.00 next month.

Also what something is worth is not always what some buyers are willing to pay.

Some of my most favorite grips I had to step up to the plate, but I am most happy I did.
I enjoy them and hope that I keep them long enough to break even or trade
Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 PM
Liked 190 Times in 77 Posts

I've had a very nice set of these around for quite a spell hoping to find a gun worthy of them. Picked them up at a gun show some years back for one decimal point to the left.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM
US Veteran
Liked 22,429 Times in 8,278 Posts

That's what makes auctions so interesting. Probably the only place you might find that one piece you have been looking for for years. Then another bidder is in the same situation, and wants it badly. It then only is up to who has the deepest pockets. I have had to shake my head and walk away form quite a number of items over the years, after going 10-15% over my max limit. Fortunately I have also obtained some scarce, unusual, and desirable items at auctions where others didn't seem to recognize what it was. Isn't the "chase" fun.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: