Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 01-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association?  
Liked 48,490 Times in 9,194 Posts
Default Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association?

Maybe.

I've owned this forum for more than ten years, and I have often been puzzled by people who post some interesting collectible guns, but have apparently never joined the S&W Collectors Association (SWCA), so I'll offer my opinion on whether you should join. I have been a member since 1982. I've been a Life Member for about 12 years.

Basic Facts:
Dues:
USA- $60 for the 1st Year, then $50/year thereafter.
Foreign- $90 for the 1st Year, then $80/year thereafter.
After your first year, you can renew for 5 years at $200 in the US, $330 if foreign.
Foreign members pay more because postage for the multiple mailings per year are higher.

Benefits:
1. The SWCA Journal- You will receive three Journals per year in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. The Journal contains interesting articles written by members about all things S&W, along with club news and a report with pics about the annual meeting. The articles cover all types of S&Ws- Autos, Regular production models, military S&Ws, Antiques, etc. They are not just about high end collectibles!

2. Access to the private SWCA Forum-

In the SWCA forum, you can:
Request one ship date per week if space is available. No more than 5 can be posted at any one time. As he has time, Roy provides the month/year and NO other data. Some weeks he provides many, some weeks there are few.
You can ask Roy questions.

3. The SWCA Roster- The SWCA Roster is basically a phone book of SWCA members. It is published yearly. Most members include their phone numbers, email address, and collecting interests. YOU decide whether to be included or not. ONLY members who are listed in the Roster receive a copy.

4. The Annual Meeting- The SWCA has one meeting per year in June called The Symposium. It is a private show open to pre-registered members only. There are many fabulous displays and sales tables. It starts at noon on Wednesday and runs through breakfast Sunday.

There are usually four 1 hour lectures by different members- two on Thursday, two on Friday. They are very interesting. Here is Roy giving a lecture on the Model 1926 .44 Special:

You will see stuff that you will never see elsewhere!

Like ALL the Single Actions ever made by S&W:

Like WW II Experimental Carbines in 9mm and 30 Carbine:

Like one of Elmer's favorite S&Ws:

Like the Flush Valve S&W made during The Depression. This valve is how Carl Hellstrom came to be associated with S&W. He was an engineer hired as a consultant to fix the design:

Like maybe the FIRST regular production revolver made by S&W!

Like experimental WW II revolvers in 9mm and 30 Carbine!

Members donate S&W items for an auction that we have on Saturday. All proceeds go to the SWCA. Some REALLY neat stuff appears in the auction, like Catalogs, Ammo, Grips, S&W memorabilia of all kinds, and even a gun now and then. Not long ago, Roy donated a doorknob from D.B. Wesson's office! Keith Brown donates a set of grips each year. There is no buyer's premium.

We also have a gun auction that sells member's guns on consignment. The Buyer pays a 10% Buyer's Premium. The Seller pays a 10% Seller's Commission, so the seller realizes 90% of the hammer price. The seller can voluntarily pay a higher percentage commission. The buyer's premium and the seller's commission go to the SWCA.
Jim Supica is our auctioneer.

We have a cocktail party/socializing time on Thursday night with a cash bar. Food is provided, and it is GOOD.

There is a Show-and-Tell held one night where members show and pass around favorite guns and items. VERY informative.

There is a Banquet Saturday night at which awards for the displays are presented.

In short, a Symposium is a great time!

5. Discount on Letters-
Letters for S&Ws now cost $100. SWCA members get a $10 discount. If you are also a member of the S&W Historical Foundation, a letter is $75. More on the SWHF is below.

Myths about the SWCA I've heard over the years:

1. The SWCA is for advanced collectors only.
Not true. You don't have to collect Reg Mags or have 50 Pre-War guns. If you have any interest in the older guns, or discontinued guns, company history, or the evolution of different models, or even variations of modern guns and/or currently produced guns, you might want to join.
There is NOTHING wrong with collecting 3rd Gen Autos, Performance Center Guns, or the M&P or Sigma Autos.
Do you have the "collector's heart", meaning do you have a desire to observe, study, learn about, and accumulate knowledge and accumulate any, many, or all of the various guns produced by S&W?
If so, I think you would enjoy membership.

2. The SWCA is composed of a bunch of arrogant, rich snobs.
Again, not true. The SWCA is composed of a cross section of society. By and large, it is as nice a bunch of people as you will encounter in life. Some members are wealthy. Some are young, working class people raising kids and have to budget in buying a gun only once or twice a year.
When I joined, I was in my early 30s, working construction through various recessions, and raising young kids. We needed a sponsor to join back then, and I would see Bill Orr at gun shows. We both lived in Georgia. Bill was a very wealthy man, was an S&W distributor, and had amassed a huge collection of valuable S&Ws. Look at the photo credits in The History of Smith & Wesson by Roy Jinks. He saw my interest in S&Ws, and recommended that I join. I protested that I did not have, and could not afford to collect a lot of guns. Bill encouraged me to join anyway for the Journal, for the chance to get to know other S&W collectors, and perhaps to attend the annual meeting. He gave me an application signed by him as my sponsor.
It was decades before I could attend an annual meeting, but I enjoyed the Journal articles and getting to know other collectors in phone calls. I have not encountered too many arrogant snobs.

3. The Annual Meetings are too expensive for the average S&W enthusiast.

It does cost to attend the Symposium. That's because it is an expensive endeavor to conduct. It costs $200 to register to attend for the whole show. One display table is included in that fee. Extra display tables and sales tables are $30 each. The Banquet and the food at the cocktail party are included but you buy your own booze at the cocktail party.
Your spouse can attend for $100 more, including the cocktail party food and Banquet.
You must stay at the host hotel or pay $200 more to register. The host hotel is usually $100-129 per night. They comp us the display room, so we must guarantee the hotel a minimum number of rooms get rented or we pay extra for the display hall.
You can attend for ONE day for $75. You must specify WHICH day. That does not include the free display table, nor the goody bag, nor the cocktail party, nor the banquet. If that day is Thursday, you can pay $60 MORE ($75 + $60) and attend the cocktail party, but you still have to buy your own booze. Again, the food is GREAT. If that one day is Saturday, you can pay $50 MORE ($75 + $50) and attend the Banquet.

We provide 24 Hour Security for the display hall for the duration of the show. The Security is local POLICE officers.
We have to buy liability insurance for the show.
With the show fees, travel, and hotel, it can cost $1000-1500 to attend the meeting. Maybe more if you fly, your spouse attends, and you eat/drink a lot.
I have attended the last fifteen Annual Meetings. It is worth the expense! You gets what ya pays for!
This year is the 50th anniversary of the SWCA, and this Symposium will be the greatest yet. God willing, I'll be there!
11-21-20-
Edited to add: Covid forced us to cancel the annual meeting for 2020. It was postponed till September, 2021, and will be in Tulsa, OK. We will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the SWCA at that meeting.

About The S&W Historical Foundation:
You should also consider joining the S&W Historical Foundation (SWHF). The SWHF has spent a fortune digitizing the existing records of S&W. Much historical data has been preserved forever.
Read more here- Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
Membership is $100 and never expires.
I am proud to be the 18th Founding Member.
As mentioned above, being a member of the SWCA and the SWHF will get you a $25 discount on letters,
so $100 minus $25 = $75 for members of both organizations.
You can see the website here- S&W Historical Foundation

Feel free to ask questions. Many members here will answer and offer their experience with the SWCA.

A sponsor is not required to join. Go here to get an application. Open it, print it, mail it:
SWCA Application

You can pay dues with PayPal.
The membership application is now updated to show the PayPal address. It is available as a Word document or a PDF.
Of course, you can always mail a check or money order.

Last edited by handejector; 02-10-2024 at 11:26 AM. Reason: updating application link
The Following 178 Users Like Post:
1blindref, 22/32 JDF, 22hipower, 29-1, 2Badboys, 3S16, 625smith, 6518John, 6string, AaronLewis, Absalom, Andy Taylor, andy52, austintexas, Bobbysixkiller, BOMBTEC, bracebeemer, bruce5781, brucev, bwade, CaperK38, captaint, cbunix23, CH4, Chief Illiniwek, cjohnson, cmansguns, colt_saa, CordWood, cougar015, crossv, csurp34, D Brown, DARE, Daugier, Dave from Pa, David Jackson, delcrossv, dhallz71, Dino44, ditrina, Doc in Pa, Doc Intrepid, Doug627, dusty3030, Edcnh, Eric158, fdover, federali, Frailer, Frieda's Boss, g-dad, GA 1911, gdodgen, Geezer7, Gerald A. Keller, GerSan69, Gov410, Gregmk, Greymann, gunnison, hobby-gunsmith, hsguy, huthike, ICTwadcutter, Iggy, Igiveup, ISChief, J Willy, j38, James E. McCall, JayCeeNC, JB51, Jebus35745, Jim Kuykendall, Jim1247, JimB-SV, jimbo728, Jimmyjones, JimSupica, jjbrewst1, jmace57, joedegs, Joenomad, john14_18, JP@AK, kalohi11, Kansasgunner, keith44spl, kidcom, kmyers, kraynky, kscharlie, KSK, kwill1911, lamarw, LB001, Lee Barner, LEO918, les.b, lkabug, Llance, LLOYD17, LOBO, LPD256, lrrifleman, Malysh, Marine Corps Air, max, mbliss57, mfholmes, Michaelp57, MixmodelA, mocha001, Model 10-8, Model52guy, mrcvs, MrG5122, MSgt G, Muley Gil, mwozniak, Nathan510, NB4EST, Nedroe, Neversink n Klapperthal, NMPinNYC, ol777gunnerz, OldChief, opoefc, PaneledZero, PaulDoc, plano, Plaub1948, Porkie, Protocall_Design, quinn, rags, Rbo, Rick Sanborn, ringo1597, RKmesa, robrossk, rubiranch, Rusty parrot, S&W Oldtimer, S&WIowegan, SAFireman, Salox, SFIDEC, sgtsemo, Shark Bait, smitholdtimer, smokymd, snake803, SRT, steelslaver, Stentor, SVT28, tandyneill, The Gila Bender, TheHobbyist, TheTinMan, Thinnes, tin medic, Tjsuchy7, tlawler, toad67, Tom K, traderdell, Trooperdan, ttocsca, tunnug47, Tyree1867, Valmet, Watchdog, Wiregrassguy, ww2mike, Zarr
Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 AM
SWCA Member
Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association?  
Liked 6,782 Times in 1,834 Posts

I cannot reason why you would not want to join if you have an interest in Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Many reasons given in the OPs post.

Great folks, many a wealth of information!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:35 AM
Liked 1,130 Times in 236 Posts

I have only been a member of the SWCA for about a month even though I have been a member of the forum for over 10 years and wish I had joined the SWCA years ago. Being able to get a ship date on a gun and ask Roy Jinks questions, alone is worth the membership fee. My collection comes and goes, depending on what bills I have come up. The guys on there are down to earth people, just like on the forum, who are willing to help you in any way they can. There is also a classified section that sometimes will have items not listed on the regular forum. I would highly recommend joining even if you only have a small interest in S&W.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,275 Times in 1,563 Posts

Lee-I’m looking forward to my first Symposium in June. I would categorize myself as an accumulator, not necessarily a collector. I was recruited by Tim O’Laughlin and Deputydon at a local gun show. I’ve learned a couple of things. First, I had no idea how limited my knowledge was, and still is. Every member I’ve asked, has been glad to help with some of my admittedly silly questions. Second, I have felt a kinship with all of the members that I’ve met at various shows and in turn hope I’ve been able to pass along a few tidbits in my areas of expertise. Finally, the dues are very reasonable. I’ve saved money on letters that cover the cost. Frankly, I’ve spent more money on pizza for my kids. So I would encourage anyone that enjoys our hobby to make a small commitment. The benefits far outweigh the cost.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:48 AM
US Veteran
Liked 6,802 Times in 1,851 Posts

For me it came down to the number of S&Ws collected. In my earlier days I only had a few S&Ws and really didn't consider myself a "Collector". However since my retirement I've add considerably to my collection, when I approached 30-35 I decided yep I'm a collector so it was time to join the Association. This June will be my first symposium and I'm looking forward to putting faces with the names I see on the forum.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy52 View Post
For me it came down to the number of S&Ws collected. In my earlier days I only had a few S&Ws and really didn't consider myself a "Collector". However since my retirement I've add considerably to my collection, when I approached 30-35 I decided yep I'm a collector so it was time to join the Association. This June will be my first symposium and I'm looking forward to putting faces with the names I see on the forum.

I know what you mean, but I would encourage younger people to go ahead and join BEFORE they obtain many guns. They will become more knowledgeable (Read SMARTER) buyers. They can then scout pawn shops, gun shows, the internet, and gun shops for desirable guns at good or at least reasonable prices. Even though they are on a limited budget, the knowledge they gain will allow them to occasionally buy a good gun at a bargain price to keep, or even flip for a few dollars profit to finance collecting. Knowledge is POWER.

As I said above, it was decades before I could afford the time and money to attend an annual meeting. Working construction with young kids, I often had to sell off the few guns I had accumulated when a layoff or recession or the "stuff" of life would strike, like a transmission falling out. However, I had bought wisely, and could almost always sell at a profit or at least break even. I could also use my knowledge to buy, sell, and trade at a profitable level and pay for my addiction.

Last edited by handejector; 01-16-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:44 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,628 Times in 494 Posts

I would add that the SWCA is unique in that it adds another level to this hobby in making it personal. With the roster you get to meet and network with other local collectors / enthusiasts. It's one thing to be an anonymous member of an internet forum, it's a much richer experience to get to meet your fellow collectors in person.
SWCA#2439
The Following 10 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 12:51 PM

Liked 17,988 Times in 2,509 Posts

Let me put it this way-I collect holsters ( to put my Smith & Wessons in ) and they still let me in. No snobs, no arrogance, I don’t know how rich or poor anybody except me is and the Symposium is a highlight of each year for me. No reason not to join, many great reasons to join.
You want to be an advanced collector with a stunning collection some day down the road ? Join now and it may well happen; as Lee’s story shows that’s the way it happened for a lot of members.
Regards,
turnerriver
Old 01-16-2020, 01:46 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
I know what you mean, but I would encourage younger people to go ahead and join BEFORE they obtain many guns. They will become more knowledgeable (Read SMARTER) buyers. They can then scout pawn shops, gun shows, the internet, and gun shops for desirable guns at good or at least reasonable prices. Even though they are on a limited budget, the knowledge they gain will allow them to occasionally buy a good gun at a bargain price to keep, or even flip for a few dollars profit to finance collecting. Knowledge is POWER.

As I said above, it was decades before I could afford the time and money to attend an annual meeting. Working construction with young kids, I often had to sell off the few guns I had accumulated when a layoff or recession or the "stuff" of life would strike, like a transmission falling out. However, I had bought wisely, and could almost always sell at a profit or at least break even. I could also use my knowledge to buy, sell, and trade at a profitable level and pay for my addiction.
Most definitely agree especially with the information available today. I'm sure your like me in the early days there was no internet, cable TV or anything like that. Information on S&Ws was pretty much limited to word of mouth and sales catalogs.
My very first S&W bought new in 1976 was a model 19 and in the early 80s a 586. Like you I had a family to raise at the time and my gun funds were limited. If I would have had the funds and the knowledge that I now have I'd be sitting on a gold mine of pre model S&Ws. A registered Magnum could be bought back then for much, much less then now.
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 01:48 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 9,872 Times in 1,986 Posts

Great post Lee.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2020, 01:51 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerriver View Post
Let me put it this way-I collect holsters ( to put my Smith & Wessons in ) and they still let me in. No snobs, no arrogance, I don’t know how rich or poor anybody except me is and the Symposium is a highlight of each year for me. No reason not to join, many great reasons to join.
You want to be an advanced collector with a stunning collection some day down the road ? Join now and it may well happen; as Lee’s story shows that’s the way it happened for a lot of members.
Regards,
turnerriver
Yes and your a holster enabler.... I've taken up that bad habit of yours and it cost almost as much as buying gun but my S&Ws sure look good sitting in those nice old holsters.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:19 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,220 Times in 4,749 Posts

I joined 11-12 years ago and I have attended 3 Symposiums. I love being a member - I love the articles in the Journal, I love the access to ship dates and other info available in the members-only section of the Forum. AND I especially love the Symposiums!!! They are a treat. Can you say Kid in a Candy/Toy Shop

The Symposiums are filled with great guns and wonderful people. It is one of the most educational events that I have ever attended. A few examples of the cool things that occur at the Symposiums:

1) About 10 years ago, I walked into the "Gun Room" of the Tucson Symposium, to be greeted by a full wall of Registered Magnums (probably 50-60 of them in pristine condition)! It was Cheryl Cheely's display of "Ray's Babies" - talk about sensory overload. In addition, Bill Cross brought a few of his Alvin White engraved 44 Magnums, the sight of which sunk an engraving hook in my soul. After a couple of days there, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

2) I knew almost nothing about S&W semiautomatic pistols, but at the Reno Symposium, my display table happened to be right next to a fantastic collection of Model 39s. There was also another wonderful collection of Model 39s at that Symposium. Both of the Model 39 exhibitors took one-on-one time educating me in the beauty, function and history of the Model 39. I still don't know a lot about that historical firearm, but the time spent learning from the experts was fascinating - thanks RS.

3) In Richardson last summer, I spent hours learning about the top break S&Ws - which I knew almost nothing about. The displays were outstanding and members freely spent hours walking me through their interests and collection - sometimes we would spend 30-40 minutes discussing one gun. It was fascinating!

Wonderful guns, wonderful people and very educational. The SWCA brings a whole additional "pallet of colors" to brighten any collection of S&Ws. It is one of the better investments that I have made.

Thanks to all the members that have made my experience enjoyable.

And as always, thanks for letting me share,
Old 01-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Liked 2,506 Times in 854 Posts

I'm definitely going to join. There's no reason not to. The cost is just a fraction of what we'll pay for one gun, and membership could keep me from making a bad mistake.

Where are the Symposiums typically held?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:36 PM
Banned
Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Mr. Jarrett does an excellent job of enumerating all the good reasons for joining the SWCA, and clears up the myths about the organization.

I can't remember exactly when I joined, but ever since then I've always said that the SWCA Journal alone is worth the price of membership.

If you enjoy this forum, and continue to take advantage of the depth of knowledge exhibited here, my question to you will always be...why wouldn't you join the SWCA and add even more to your knowledge of the firearms you love and spend money on?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderboss View Post
Where are the Symposiums typically held?

They move around the lower 48 to give members a chance to catch one close to their home base.
Here is a list of where they have been held.
This year's 50th Anniversary show is being held in Tulsa because the SWCA was more or less sprouted there, and it is close to center.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:37 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,148 Times in 1,765 Posts

Love to join, but don't have a printer. How do I get an app?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,394 Times in 964 Posts

The friendships that I have made with other members of this association are priceless!
All the other benefits that Lee mentioned are bonuses.
The Tulsa Symposium will be my eighth consecutive, since becoming a member.
SWCA #2697
Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,169 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
With the amount of detail I’ve learned through this forum and the membership, it’s turned the hobby into a treasure hunt. I’ve told the wife the hobby is self-sustaining so if I can find a gem for cheap and use it to enhance my collection we're both happy.

And then all the other perks listed above. I’m technically considered a millennial, am currently active duty and have two small kids as an example of the cross-section of the membership.
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 05:25 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 22,429 Times in 5,824 Posts

I joined 12 or more years ago.

I think I waited so long because I had the common misconception that this was just Old Snobby Rich Guys Gun Club that looked down on anyone that did not own a Registered Magnum. Well, my entire collection and knowledge was toward post-1980 Smith & Wessons. So what's in it or me

Then I met one member locally and he was just a regular guy. Through him, I met other local SWCA members.

I work the typical 26 hour workday a full 8 days a week, at least that is how it feels. I struggle for each purchase I make and I follow my Father's advice.

My Father used to say that having a good collection was easy. Just buy a few good pieces each year and never sell them. In a few years you will have a collection.

I have followed that advice since 1977.

I am a museum lover, so I do understand why you might want to keep and preserve somethings. Perhaps that is what drew me to the SWCA

The Symposiums always fell on the same days as my industry's annual event. So I had no choice, I worked.

The first Symposium I attended was in Charlotte. The first display along the side of the room where the registration table was had me in awe.

14 tables long with no duplication from the front of the room to the back, this was a display of pristine condition, in the box, Post War Blue Revolvers. WHOA . . . I was in Heaven

It was very impressive and educational. I even offered to help the Collector box these back up for transport home just to handle them (wearing gloves of course)

By the time I got around to my second Symposium in Richardson (5 years later), I already had members that communicated back and forth with me for my insight into the things I collect. I thought that was cool

I am still trying to gather enough funds to swing my third Symposium in Tulsa. Being the organization's 50th Anniversary I expect it to be a huge deal.

I will have to drive to the Symposium because I intend to display the 356TSW Cartridge and its Firearms.
This will be my first display, what pushed me in that direction is that I brought one of my 356TSW chambered autoloaders, the 3566 Limited with two top ends, to the "Show and Tell" segment. The interest in the cartridge and firearms truly surprised me

The SWCA is not a bunch of Old Fuddy Duddys talking Registered Magnums, it is a Big, Knowledgable, Friendly, Diverse Family of folks that ALL have a PASSION for the Artistry in Arms that is Smith & Wesson

Last edited by colt_saa; 01-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:12 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,677 Times in 1,228 Posts

What a great presentation Lee!!

My situation is quite like some of the others. While trading with forum member Terry Popkin, he suggested I join and offered to be my sponsor. Glad I did!

It was 2 years before I was able to attend my first and so far only symposium which was in Charlotte which also was practically in my back yard. From the first moment I walked in everyone without exception made me feel welcome. I didn't have a display table but did have a sales table. However I spent more time looking at the displays than I did at my table. I hope to see these great people again in Tulsa and make some new friends!
Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Absent Comrade
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Liked 6,881 Times in 2,796 Posts

Great post, Lee. My hat's off to you ! ( Minor correction in the list of past meetings -add 1958-1968 at Las Vegas, NV. ) There was a group of approx. 25 S&W collectors, mostly from Calif., that always met at Harry Mann's Las Vegas shows (Las Vegas Antique Arms shows ) , usually at the Sahara Casino, to display our collections, etc. Some of us also went to the Tulsa shows. The idea of formally starting S&W collector's association often came up, but didn't really catch on until 1970, as most of us were content to socialize, exchange info. and enjoy our S&Ws with out the expense of dues, rules & regulations, etc. I give Roy Jinks and Bill Gunn ( Pres. of S&W) the credit for moving us to start the S&WCA at Las Vegas in Nov. 1970. Ed.

Last edited by opoefc; 08-27-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOYD17 View Post
With the amount of detail I’ve learned through this forum and the membership, it’s turned the hobby into a treasure hunt. I’ve told the wife the hobby is self-sustaining so if I can find a gem for cheap and use it to enhance my collection we're both happy.

And then all the other perks listed above. I’m technically considered a millennial, am currently active duty and have two small kids as an example of the cross-section of the membership.
I'd trade several of my S&Ws for a back seat ride in a f-18 Hornet
They did offer me a ride in a F-14 tomcat as a reenlistment bonus back in 1975 but I declined.
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 07:02 PM
Liked 145 Times in 54 Posts

I’ve been acquiring shooter grade S&W revolvers over the last several years. Now that I’ve reached 30+ revolvers, I guess it time for me to come to the realization that I’m a collector...lol. Looks like it’s time for me to join, thanks for the shove.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,636 Times in 665 Posts

When I saw that the Annual Meeting was going to be in Arizona I knew I had to join.
That was 10 years ago and I just sent in my 2020 dues today.

I got to sit and talk to Roy at length at the 40th Anniversary Meeting, mostly about vision care!
You gotta be able to see to know if you're getting the S&W of your dreams.

I now have narrowed my collecting to November 1947 Smiths. My golden unicorn is (any) one
that shipped: Thursday, November 13, 1947. Model, caliber, even condition is not a big deal.
Bill - SWCA #2327

Last edited by DRYHEAT; 01-16-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1918a2 View Post
Love to join, but don't have a printer. How do I get an app?
PM your mailing address to me.
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:40 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,220 Times in 4,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRYHEAT View Post
When I saw that the Annual Meeting was going to be in Arizona I knew I had to join.
That was 10 years ago and I just sent in my 2020 dues today.

Bill:

I love that photo - the gun, the light and of course... the 40 year mug.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,067 Times in 435 Posts

From the lower end of the scale, I just joined a year ago. The knowledge shared so freely here is worth the price of admission and then some! In fact I just sent my $200 in and received my card for 5 more great years.

If their are arrogant folks around, I sure haven’t heard from them. What you will find is a group of genuinely nice people who bend over backwards to help anyone who asks.

If you love Smith & Wesson products, this is the place to be!
SWCA #3370 - SWHF #672
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 585 Times in 175 Posts

Lee, thank you so much for the write up! You "dun good". To get back on my soap box....this group is the best. I've been around it since 1981 in Tulsa when we went up to a table that was beautifully displayed. Ray asked if he could look at it and commented on something he didn't know about. The owner confirmed that Yes, it was correct. Introductions were done. It was Mr. Bill Orr. The one who had all the great guns in Roy's book. The beautiful guns. The one with so much knowledge. Ray felt about two inches high, but it was worth it. We talked with Bill and he told us about the SWCA. We joined and our first show was Kansas City. To be real honest, I felt a little out of place. We were young whippersnappers. BUT the people at this event became GREAT friends, no, family. I've only missed a couple of annual meetings (symposiums) since. I feel so very honored to be President of the organization.

And Lee was also right, the SWHF is doing a lot to preserve our history!!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:38 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 1,244 Times in 502 Posts

Lee, great post, you covered everything. Maybe this could be a permanent thread at the top each forum.Would not want this to dsappear.
SWCA#2288
SWHF#407
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 PM
Liked 510 Times in 155 Posts

Lee, I would like to expand my knowledge and share my enjoyment with others.
I am certainly not a collector, but my heart still aches for selling the nickel 19 I grew up with. Today I have but only three from the 50’s, all shooters. I have bought and sold some new ones, and recently found a nice 686-1 that seems to be an extension of my hand.

I printed the application. At the bottom it there is mention of the rules posted on the forum. I am having trouble finding the rules.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 11:49 PM
Administrator

I just added more data about Myth #3 concerning cost for the annual meeting in the first post:
Quote:
3. The Annual Meetings are too expensive for the average S&W enthusiast.
It does cost to attend the Symposium. That's because it is an expensive endeavor to conduct. It costs $200 to register to attend for the whole show. One display table is included in that fee. Extra display tables and sales tables are $30 each. The Banquet and the food at the cocktail party are included but you buy your own booze at the cocktail party.
Your spouse can attend for $100 more, including the cocktail party food and Banquet.
You must stay at the host hotel or pay $200 more to register. The host hotel is usually $100-129 per night. They comp us the display room, so we must guarantee the hotel a minimum number of rooms get rented or we pay extra for the display hall.
You can attend for ONE day for $75. You must specify WHICH day. That does not include the free display table, nor the goody bag, nor the cocktail party, nor the banquet. If that day is Thursday, you can pay $60 MORE ($75 + $60) and attend the cocktail party, but you still have to buy your own booze. Again, the food is GREAT. If that one day is Saturday, you can pay $50 MORE ($75 + $50) and attend the Banquet.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
I printed the application. At the bottom it there is mention of the rules posted on the forum. I am having trouble finding the rules.
You won't see them till you have access to the SWCA area.

But, just for you:
The SWCA Lounge Rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc44 View Post
Welcome to the newly established S&WCA Lounge. This section is to be used for discussing any subject that is in good taste and does not have to involve S&Ws, or gun collecting, but discussions about politics and second amendment rights are not allowed as they usually get members upset and never have a resolution.

Again, welcome, and I hope you will find this new section useful.

Bill Cross
S&WCA #530
The SWCA Classified Rules:
Quote:
Caveat emptor. The SWCA, The Officers of the SWCA, the S&W Forum, and the S&W Forum Owners and Staff are not responsible for nor guarantors of any ad presented here.

Establish CLEAR TERMS in advance, like any INSPECTION PERIOD and Right to Return.

If you reserve the right to NOT deal with some members, SAY SO.

This is not complicated- simply state ALL your terms and requirements clearly in the ad.
COMPLETE Terms, ACCURATE descriptions, FULL disclosure, and GOOD pics make life simpler for everyone!
We strongly advocate adherence to ALL firearms laws at ALL levels- Federal, State, and Local.
Do not post an illegal item or suggest any transaction that violates any law.

Pics can be uploaded by anyone as attachments.
See
Attachments and Images.
Full size pics can be posted using a hosting site or your albums here on the forum.
NO, I do not give lessons on posting pics.

We request that you leave your ad, including sale prices, intact when items are sold.
Leaving your sale price will allow folks to search/research what similar items are selling for.

We Reserve the right to delete any ad, at any time, for any reason.

The RULES:

1. Most General Posting Rules apply.
See them here- Rules & Information

2. For now, we will allow ONE Gun Sale Ad, along with ONE Accessories For Sale Ad, along with ONE WTB Ad per member.
That means a total of three active ads at one time, IF you use all three types. Each ad can contain multiple items.

Allowing front page space for everyone is the idea.

Multiple ads beyond these limits may be deleted without notice beyond a Reminder or Infraction.

To find your ads- click Search\/ in the top blue Navigation bar.
At the bottom of the menu you will see My Threads and My Posts.
When your item is no longer available, please add SOLD, TRADED, FOUND, or WITHDRAWN to the beginning of the title. Edit the title by clicking "Edit" and then clicking "Go Advanced" at bottom right.
As soon as you edit the title, you are then free to immediately start a new ad thread.

3. You MUST set your profile options to accept either private messages or email from other forum members or your thread will be deleted without notification.

4. All "For Sale" items must have a price attached.
We do not allow "make offer" ads.

5. If your item sells or is withdrawn or found, please edit your ad PROMPTLY.
Mark it in the TITLE of your ad.

Do NOT post a link to a website that is not yours. Do NOT advertise or post a link to an ad you have on public internet sales sites, including GunBroker and other auction sites.

7. We allow one BTT (Back To Top, aka "bump") per calendar day. Do not bump your ad on the first day.
Additional posts on your part like "pics sent" or "email responded to" are needless since you can send it via a PM.
Put SOLD or SPF or FOUND or Withdrawn in the title of your thread, NOT in a new post.

9. NO useless chatter! We don't need comments like "Nice Gun" or "Good Luck". Only make posts that are relevant to the intention of the ad.

10. You agree to save HARMLESS
The SWCA, The Officers of the SWCA, the S&W Forum, and the S&W Forum Owners and Staff for any injury or loss suffered as a result of any transaction occurring from these ads.

11. We reserve the right to modify The Rules at any time without notice.

12. By posting or participating in a thread here, you are AGREEING to these RULES and Terms.

Rules for Ship Date Requests:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs357 View Post
LIMIT: ONE gun per request; ONE ship date per member per calendar week.
Do NOT post a new request during any calendar week in which you receive a ship date even if you posted the request the week before.

A Calendar Week is comprised of the 7 days from Sunday through Saturday, inclusive.

Do NOT post your request while Roy is answering the current requests. Let Roy FINISH answering.

Before you post a request, check the S&WCA Database for your gun which may have already been posted with a shipping date.

If FIVE requests are already posted, WAIT to post your request. Roy wants NO MORE than 5 requests awaiting him.

We do NOT need for each request to begin with "Shipping Date Request" since that is all that is in this area.

FORMAT your request EXACTLY like this because it enables Roy to respond to your request without first opening the thread.
Put these FOUR items, and ONLY these FOUR items in the TITLE line of your request:
1> Model NAME -OR- Model NUMBER with Dash number
2> Finish
3> Barrel Length
4> Serial Number

Be Sure you include any letter prefix for the serial number!

Guns never made in multiple barrel lengths need not show it (such as .32 autos, 35 autos, Straightlines, most specific auto models, etc.).
Format Examples:
44HE-2nd, Blue, 6.5", #123456
Mod 60, Stainless, 2 in, s/n 409556
Mod 629-5, Stls, 5", ser# ABC1234
Mod 29-1, Nickel, 4", #N226888
38 M&P, Nickel, 2", s/n S825777
Pre-M19, Blue, 4 in, #K260009
32 Auto, Blue, s/n 567
Straightline, Blue, s/n 146
38 DA Perfected, Blue, 6 in, s/n 12777
NM#3, Blue, 5 in, s/n 110110

Requests which do not follow this EXACT FORMAT and requests which do not follow ANY of these instructions WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT NOTICE.

After receiving your ship date from Roy, please Do NOT send another message of "thanks" for the shipping date; it only takes up additional space on the forum and seems to throw the zero count off for other posters.

Absolutely NO posts are to be made in this area except ship date requests.

If you have questions send a PM to handejector (Lee Jarrett).

Many thanks for your cooperation.

Believe it or not, the ship dates are about the only problems we have had. There have been a couple of dustups between members, but hey- it's a cage full of alpha males and alpha females.
So, I have had to reiterate the ship date instructions a time or two-

Quote:
and AGAIN -

The instructions are pretty clear-

Put these FOUR items, and ONLY these FOUR items in the TITLE line of your request:
1> Model NAME -OR- Model NUMBER with Dash number
2> Finish
3> Barrel Length
4> Serial Number

The SECOND and THIRD lines in The Instructions for Ship Dates say-
Quote:
Do NOT post a new request during any calendar week in which you receive a ship date even if you posted the request the week before.
A Calendar Week is comprised of the 7 days from Sunday through Saturday, inclusive.
Obviously, the verbal definition of a 'calendar week' is not sufficient, *so I done went and drawed ya a picture-
(* Spoken in my native tongue. Translates as "I've created an illustration for you")

If you receive a ship date anywhere on that yellow line, you cannot request another one ANYWHERE on that yellow line!!!

This is just NOT that hard.

Another good one-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs357 View Post
After receiving your ship date from Roy, please Do NOT send another message of "thanks" for the shipping date; it only takes up additional space on the forum and seems to throw the zero count off for other posters.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 AM
Liked 24,184 Times in 5,133 Posts

I joined. And I joined the Historical Foundation. And I'm a Bronze Contributor.

I don't know how else to say thank other than to say thank you for soo many members sharing such an amazing amount of their knowledge and being such awesome people.

THANK YOU SMITH-WESSON FORUM!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,053 Times in 1,912 Posts

^^^^^^
What they said!
Randy
SWCA 2548, SWHF 433

And by the way I also endorse making a donation to help fund this forum!! The meager funds I'v spent in support of these 3 organizations has been returned many times over in soooo many ways.
Thanis.

Last edited by quinn; 01-17-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:37 AM
Liked 4,806 Times in 1,042 Posts

This is one of the finest groups of like minded folks I have ever been associated with. If you are a novice or advanced collector, these folks will accept you with open arms and try to learn from you and add to your knowledge of S&W arms collecting. You can't go wrong.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:15 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,681 Times in 437 Posts

Great post Lee, I think you covered all the bases extremely well.

I would like to share my personal experience as a member. I joined the S&WCA in 2014 more or less on a whim. I had attended a couple of local regional meetings of the NE Ohio bunch and had met a few members. The 2014 Symposium was in Columbus, Ohio not too far from me. Since it was within driving distance I decided to see what it was all about. WOW!!! I was absolutely overwhelmed from the moment I walked into the hall.

Within minutes, I knew this organization was something I wanted to be a part of. New members have a bright green chevron added to the lower portion of their admission badge. I was welcomed and greeted by so many members it made my head spin!! I was invited to dinner with several of these members my VERY first day.

I will confess that I was very sorry to leave on Sunday morning when the event was over. I wanted to stay and continue to be among the members that I now considered to be my friends.

This years Symposium in Tulsa will be my seventh in a row. I have been eagerly awaiting it since I returned home from Texas last year. I am looking forward to seeing all the friends I have made so far, and hoping to add a great many more.

The annual Symposium dates are my first priority when scheduling my vacation days for the upcoming year. An added bonus to the event is the opportunity to travel to new places in this wonderful country we all call home.

If you are thinking of becoming a member. Take the chance, join, receive the journal, see what we are all about. If you like what you see, try to attend the Symposium. I think you will be impressed with not only the quality of the guns, but the quality of the members.

Best regards, Bob.
SWCA #2785
OGCA #35078
Old 01-17-2020, 01:30 PM
US Veteran
Liked 7,185 Times in 1,880 Posts

I've filled out my application. I have some administrative issues due to being on a military deployment at the moment, but I'll overcome.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcavalier View Post
I've filled out my application. I have some administrative issues due to being on a military deployment at the moment, but I'll overcome.
THANKS for your service. Where are you deployed?
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 04:11 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Middle East.

Main issue is I didn’t bring my checkbook...
Old 01-17-2020, 04:14 PM
SWCA Member
Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association?  
Liked 1,669 Times in 602 Posts

I’ll just second what everyone else has said. I’m always learning new things here and at the symposiums. Last year at one of the symposium dinners, I sat between a firearms author and a very experienced member and heard great stories and learned a lot from both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 04:42 PM
SWCA Member
Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association?  
Liked 2,647 Times in 1,014 Posts
Wink EXCELLENT...it's a plethora of useful information!

This is a great organization...I have learned so much here...it's a plethora of useful S&W information...very educational...great journals...Symposiums are unbelievable...great presentations, displays, some of the best food you can imagine...well worth the price of admission...you get ALL THIS for 16.5 cents a day...you can't go wrong on this one...and best of all I have made some very special friends here...you can too! Hope you join!

Last edited by pharman; 01-17-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,470 Times in 1,225 Posts

I joined both the Collector's Association years ago and the Historical Foundation as soon as it was formed by the Cheelys. All the benefits discussed here are useful but I had another reason to join as well.

It has been my experience that certain collectors (myself included) reach a point where it becomes less about finding and owning specific guns than it is about finding and understanding more about the history, the development, the contemporaneous users and the survival rate of specific guns. I'm jazzed to collect data, documentation and history, especially if it is unpublished. The S&WCA Journal is a great place to share this research. The gun magazines on the newsstands are superficial, especially when it comes to collectible guns. They are a mile wide and an inch deep. The S&WCA Journal gives me the opportunity to publish articles that go deep. I hope they are interesting and help advance the knowledge base about a specific gun or topic.

If you are passionate about sharing your specific expertise then the Journal, and the annual Symposium are great outlets to do so. I encourage all members to write. Even if you are intimidated about the idea there are folks who are anxious to help and you are helping all of us, including future collectors, when you do so.

Last edited by kwill1911; 01-17-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Middle East.

Main issue is I didn’t bring my checkbook...

Hmmmmm.....
So, we have a guy in the sandbox covering us.
I got $20.
Who here wants to join me by sending $20 to me, and I'll mail the SWCA the check for $60 to get the man signed up?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 PM
SWCA Member
Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association? Should YOU Join the S&W Collectors Association?  
Liked 1,669 Times in 602 Posts

I got 20. PM me your address, Lee.

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,275 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Hmmmmm.....
So, we have a guy in the sandbox covering us.
I got $20.
Who here wants to join me by sending $20 to me, and I'll mail the SWCA the check for $60 to get the man signed up?
I’ll send you $20 Lee
Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 PM
US Veteran
Liked 38,976 Times in 9,932 Posts

I joined, and things like the last three posts are a good part of the reason. How many places are you going to find those kind of people?? People on this sight and the SWCA have been good to me. I am more of an accumulator than a collector. But, hey its all good.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 10:05 AM
US Veteran

Thanks gents! I was going to keep it quiet lest dozens of people in my situation flood the boards for their free membership.

I poured that $60 into the Forum as it's easy to pay for online via PayPal.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,327 Times in 423 Posts

Probably late to the party....... I’ll throw $20 towards his membership if needed. Let my know Mr Jarrett.

The Forum provided me many hours of “home” during my deployments. And.....I have received many items free of charge from forum members and SWCA members.

It’s been more than enjoyable being members of both!
Thanks everybody......
Bob
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Administrator

You can pay dues with PayPal.
The membership application is now updated to show the PayPal address. It is available as a Word document or a PDF.
Of course, you can always mail a check or money order.

Last edited by handejector; 01-26-2020 at 04:44 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:58 PM
Liked 24,184 Times in 5,133 Posts

I don't know why you shouldn't join.