Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 AM
Modified's Avatar
Modified Modified is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Flathead Valley, Montana
Posts: 2,490
Likes: 2,065
Liked 10,930 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default Long Tube .32

Did a gunshow this weekend, it was great.

As usual I couldn't escape without having bought something. It's just so dang hard not to toss out a price when looking at an old smith sometimes. In this case at $225 I knew this would be a honey of a shooter at very worst.

I'm not a nickel gun guy, so I'm still working on getting rid of the rust here and there, I think it will take quite a few more gentle sessions with flitz and elbow grease to get it all the way there. The thing is the action is perfect, or at least once I started to break up the 100 year old grease clogging it all up inside it has proved to be.

In any case these are a bit outside of my wheelhouse. I understand the 6" guns are a bit uncommon?

Also from the 5 digit S/N guessing '06ish for a timeframe of production?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0 (15).jpg (126.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg image0 (16).jpg (132.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg image0 (17).jpg (78.5 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2021, 11:12 AM
glowe's Avatar
glowe glowe is offline
US Veteran

Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan Western UP
Posts: 10,843
Likes: 1,861
Liked 9,659 Times in 4,043 Posts
Default

Nice classic pre-1922 I frame. I just completed selling off all but one of my I frames to fund my next adventure in S&W collecting. The one I kept was a blued 6" and have no illusions of grandeur when it comes time to sell it. I was not disappointed, but somewhat surprised at the lower than expected selling prices, as I did have some nice nickel examples and another blued 6", but all eventually sold. For whatever reasons, prices for the pre-WWII standard I frames have not kept up with the K and N frames on the collector side. Hope that will change down to the road someday.
__________________
Gary
SWCA 2515

Last edited by glowe; 09-13-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #3  
Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 AM
delcrossv's Avatar
delcrossv delcrossv is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3,974
Likes: 6,790
Liked 10,062 Times in 2,601 Posts
Default

That's quite a deal. 👍 Long tube I frames are fun shooters, you'll like it at the range. Congrats on a great pick-up! Yes, they're fairly uncommon.

Here's my 1941 version of yours.

__________________
SWCA #3356, SWHF#611
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2021, 12:43 PM
Lee Barner's Avatar
Lee Barner Lee Barner is offline
US Veteran
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NW Tennessee
Posts: 3,580
Likes: 21,998
Liked 13,216 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default

that is a great find. when you tire of it, i'll give you 226 and pay the shipping. keep that in mind. LOL Lee
__________________
VFW, NRA, VVA, S&WCA 1758

Last edited by Lee Barner; 09-13-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 09-13-2021, 05:25 PM
Modified's Avatar
Modified Modified is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Flathead Valley, Montana
Posts: 2,490
Likes: 2,065
Liked 10,930 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Nice classic pre-1922 I frame. I just completed selling off all but one of my I frames to fund my next adventure in S&W collecting. The one I kept was a blued 6" and have no illusions of grandeur when it comes time to sell it. I was not disappointed, but somewhat surprised at the lower than expected selling prices, as I did have some nice nickel examples and another blued 6", but all eventually sold. For whatever reasons, prices for the pre-WWII standard I frames have not kept up with the K and N frames on the collector side. Hope that will change down to the road someday.
Pre 22 was right, Roy got back to me: was shipped in October 1906 (if you aren't a member of the SWCA you should be).

For whatever reason, in guns, smaller = less than. I bet if ladysmiths were super common (like they had made 5 million of them or something) despite being absurdly well crafted things they could be had here or there for a couple hundred bucks. I got a bearcat once when guy put it on the gun table in front of me and I asked him, he looked at it and said; 'That little thing? I guess $100'.

I tend to think that the whole market for small guns (that aren't the exceptionally rare ones) is somewhat depressed because of this attitude.

Which is one hell of a nice bonus when you realize how dang nice these little things are!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 09-13-2021, 06:13 PM
kscharlie's Avatar
kscharlie kscharlie is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Flint Hills - Kansas
Posts: 881
Likes: 1,588
Liked 2,630 Times in 578 Posts
Default

That's a dandy, Caleb. You sure don't see them much on the auction sites. For the price of $225, I would have been all over that one like white on rice. I am surprised at the date, even though we all know that S&W wasn't too particular in shipping in any kind of order. I have a nickel 4 1/4" 1st change that shipped in October, 1910, but the serial # is 50606. Ya' gotta love it.
__________________
NRA Benefactor S&WCA 3297
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 09-13-2021, 08:26 PM
Modified's Avatar
Modified Modified is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Flathead Valley, Montana
Posts: 2,490
Likes: 2,065
Liked 10,930 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscharlie View Post
That's a dandy, Caleb. You sure don't see them much on the auction sites. For the price of $225, I would have been all over that one like white on rice. I am surprised at the date, even though we all know that S&W wasn't too particular in shipping in any kind of order. I have a nickel 4 1/4" 1st change that shipped in October, 1910, but the serial # is 50606. Ya' gotta love it.
Yeah, I have to say the date really surprised me too. I hit the database (again I you are reading this and aren't an SWCA member...get on it! JOIN!), and guessed based on about where the number fell. I didn't expect it to be right.

I wonder if the long barrel had something to do with the ship date? Can anyone tell me why the 6" guns are a bit uncommon? Is it because they were custom orders usually? That would make sense to me personally, I like the gun but I don't quite see why someone would have bought one back in 1906. Seems like a .32-20 M&P, or hell, even a custom order .32 Long M&P would do everything this gun does but better.

I'll have to see if I can get some good pictures of it. Things are a bit busy at the moment because the kid got exposed to covid on her first day back to school, and my wife just finished her maternity leave and is back at work. So I've got the newly minted little one plus a 3 year old to keep occupied. I wouldn't trade life in 2021 for life in 1921, but dang it if I wish I had these kids a decade earlier before this damnable plague.

My posts usually have better engagement, I'm wondering if its because my pictures are poor, or if its because people just don't much care about these guns. My typical purchase is...if can put it in a way that this excessively alcoholic beer I just consumed in celebration of napping children isn't influencing... weird.

Bizarre, kind of messed up, the kind of guns that make you say; 'what is wrong with that boy?'.

Yet this gun is only odd in that it has a 6" barrel, and I feel bad if my poor pictures are the reason no one really cares much about it, because these guns are dang pleasing and if folks see them for a good price they should absolutely grab them as they will enjoy owning the gun quite a lot.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 09-13-2021, 08:48 PM
delcrossv's Avatar
delcrossv delcrossv is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3,974
Likes: 6,790
Liked 10,062 Times in 2,601 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Pre 22 was right, Roy got back to me: was shipped in October 1906 (if you aren't a member of the SWCA you should be).

For whatever reason, in guns, smaller = less than. I bet if ladysmiths were super common (like they had made 5 million of them or something) despite being absurdly well crafted things they could be had here or there for a couple hundred bucks. I got a bearcat once when guy put it on the gun table in front of me and I asked him, he looked at it and said; 'That little thing? I guess $100'.

I tend to think that the whole market for small guns (that aren't the exceptionally rare ones) is somewhat depressed because of this attitude.

Which is one hell of a nice bonus when you realize how dang nice these little things are!
That might work for I frames, but M frames seem to always been pricy. I've gotten nice (non target).32's for a few hundred but maybe it's because they didn't make a lot of M's, even rough ones are always over $1k.

On this one, I think you got a Very Good Deal. I would have been happy with twice what you snagged it for.
__________________
SWCA #3356, SWHF#611

Last edited by delcrossv; 09-13-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 PM
delcrossv's Avatar
delcrossv delcrossv is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3,974
Likes: 6,790
Liked 10,062 Times in 2,601 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modified View Post
....

My posts usually have better engagement, I'm wondering if its because my pictures are poor, or if its because people just don't much care about these guns. My typical purchase is...if can put it in a way that this excessively alcoholic beer I just consumed in celebration of napping children isn't influencing... weird.

Bizarre, kind of messed up, the kind of guns that make you say; 'what is wrong with that boy?'.

Yet this gun is only odd in that it has a 6" barrel, and I feel bad if my poor pictures are the reason no one really cares much about it, because these guns are dang pleasing and if folks see them for a good price they should absolutely grab them as they will enjoy owning the gun quite a lot.
Sshhh! Do you really want everyone going after these?
__________________
SWCA #3356, SWHF#611
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 09-13-2021, 09:26 PM
Modified's Avatar
Modified Modified is offline
SWCA Member
Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32 Long Tube .32  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Flathead Valley, Montana
Posts: 2,490
Likes: 2,065
Liked 10,930 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
Sshhh! Do you really want everyone going after these?
Ha, few others are willing to gamble on trash pictures and bum descriptions like I am.

Honestly, many of my best guns are ones people showed me because they were aware of my... predilections.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
25-5 Long Tube smith17 S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 21 07-01-2020 06:44 PM
Long tube 32 delcrossv S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 18 05-05-2019 10:08 AM
Anybody here win the 27-2 long tube on GB? Dewy12 S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 2 07-15-2016 09:24 PM
Long tube 17-3 long colt frazier S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 6 01-28-2015 08:29 AM
Long Tube 29-1 29-1 S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 11 04-13-2009 12:00 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)