Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 09-14-2021, 08:58 PM
SWCA Member
Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets...  
Liked 1,613 Times in 348 Posts
Default Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets...

...that went for $616 on GB?

I suspect this will generate a bunch of belly-achin' about 'inflated prices,' but if there are people out there willing to pay that, then that's their current value. What ever time you're comparing it to, that was then...

That said, it pretty much blew me away.

S&W N Frame COKE BOTTLE Diamond Target Stocks FIT Pre 29 57 27 50s 60s ERA - Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com : 909586094
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 09:02 PM
Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets... Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets...  
Liked 5,652 Times in 796 Posts

Are those chipped next to where the trigger guard would be or is that how they're made?
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 PM
US Veteran
Liked 39,467 Times in 10,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrdn View Post
Are those chipped next to where the trigger guard would be or is that how they're made?
I think you are seeing the relief for where the go against trigger guard.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:15 PM
Liked 343 Times in 85 Posts

Look like Rosewood to me. Did the use of Goncalo Alves post date cokes?
(I should probably know this, but its been a minute)
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Anybody else notice the Diamond N-Frame Targets...  
Liked 700 Times in 243 Posts
Default Chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
I think you are seeing the relief for where the go against trigger guard.
I have enlarged the pic on a large screen, and it
looks like a chip to me.
☹️☹️
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Liked 25,420 Times in 8,549 Posts

Nice Grips!
I’ll need to increase the Value of mine on my Inventory Spreadsheet and Insurance.

Last edited by THE PILGRIM; 09-14-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:39 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,056 Times in 1,581 Posts

Not just diamond N frame targets, but Cokes. Cokes have been in the $500 price range for quite a few years now so if someone really needed/wanted a pair, another hundred bucks isn't out of line.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 10:59 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts

Hate to break it to you, but that's not particularly unusual. It's not even the highest price I have seen them go for in the past couple years.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:05 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,164 Times in 2,774 Posts

Not really out of line for auction prices these days. And Sarah15 is a knowledgeable and well known seller on GB so a buyer can depend on the description of the product. We'll see these going higher. . . . .

Jeff
SWCa #1457
Old 09-14-2021, 11:38 PM
Liked 1,888 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22hipower View Post
Not really out of line for auction prices these days. And Sarah15 is a knowledgeable and well known seller on GB so a buyer can depend on the description of the product. We'll see these going higher. . . . .

Jeff
SWCa #1457
There never IS a description on the products Sarah15 sells, other than "look at the pictures and 99.9 per cent of your questions will be answered.

Those grips look chipped, and "Sarah15s" current auctions look like some BEAT overpriced N frames to me. Very careful not to mention a THING about condition in any of those ( current) auctions.

Last edited by luvsmiths; 09-14-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:50 AM
Liked 3,586 Times in 1,597 Posts

Chipped Cokes seem to be almost the norm
Old 09-15-2021, 08:50 AM

Liked 30,474 Times in 4,373 Posts

The stocks are not chipped. That is the way they were made at the time.

Bill
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 09:30 AM
Liked 4,663 Times in 1,200 Posts

That is a lot of $$$. Someone really needed them, I guess.
Aftermarket stocks, by the known makers, are going up also. Not only the old makers, but the modern ones also.
Pricing a lot of people out of the market, but there must be plenty of well healed collectors out there.
I have to say, if I had a Smith that needed those and could afford it, I would of bid. Don’t tell my wife I said that out loud. 😂
I have a question. I thought those would be numbered to a particular revolver.
At first that’s why I thought they went so high
Old 09-15-2021, 10:24 AM
US Veteran
Liked 6,244 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS336 View Post
That is a lot of $$$. Someone really needed them, I guess.
Aftermarket stocks, by the known makers, are going up also. Not only the old makers, but the modern ones also.
Pricing a lot of people out of the market, but there must be plenty of well healed collectors out there.
I have to say, if I had a Smith that needed those and could afford it, I would of bid. Don’t tell my wife I said that out loud. 😂
I have a question. I thought those would be numbered to a particular revolver.
At first that’s why I thought they went so high
The targets mentioned above were "Coke Bottle Grips" which have a very different feel in the hand because of their shape(somewhat like a Coke bottle - palm swell)! None of the target grips were number to the gun because they cover the grip frame and did not need to be fitted to the frame like Magnas.
jcelect
Old 09-15-2021, 10:33 AM
US Veteran
Liked 50,502 Times in 6,019 Posts

It appears to me that the two stocks in the ad do not match as far as grain is concerned....

John
Old 09-15-2021, 10:58 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmiths View Post
There never IS a description on the products Sarah15 sells, other than "look at the pictures and 99.9 per cent of your questions will be answered.

Those grips look chipped, and "Sarah15s" current auctions look like some BEAT overpriced N frames to me. Very careful not to mention a THING about condition in any of those ( current) auctions.
"BEAT overpriced N frames?" Perhaps overpriced but if so by buyers, all their auctions start at $.01. Perhaps you should indeed "look at the pictures" which are many and detailed. If you have any questions e mail or call the seller, they're more than happy to answer questions. I asked a couple about another auction by e mail yesterday and had an answer in ten minutes and that was after 6:00pm. The stocks are not chipped. When buying at auction, or anywhere else for that matter, it is helpful to know what you are buying.

Jeff
SWCA #1457

Last edited by 22hipower; 09-15-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:16 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,674 Times in 768 Posts

Isn't this about what a good set of N cokes sells for these days? I saw two sets offered in the forum classifieds recently, one original condition set and another set restored by DWFAN offered at a significantly lower price.

Last edited by The Gila Bender; 09-15-2021 at 01:27 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 PM
Liked 11,106 Times in 3,304 Posts

There are some online for $850. They have been for sale for quite a while at that price. They don't have nice grain, but I would bet that someone will buy them sooner or later at his ask.
Larry

Last edited by handejector; 09-15-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:03 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 37,328 Times in 4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
It appears to me that the two stocks in the ad do not match as far as grain is concerned....

John
They don't look well matches, and they look like GA not walnut. However, having said that, I do not see those in my future, any more than a new 90K Ford F150 electric.

i will stick with Diamond targets, Culinas, GA targets and Spegels( when I can find them)
Old 09-15-2021, 02:27 PM
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
There are some online for $850. They have been for sale for quite a while at that price. They don't have nice grain, but I would bet that someone will buy them sooner or later at his ask.
Larry
Larry,...I saw them about a month ago and posted on here, there not to bad. I bought a perfect set of rosewood ''cokes'' from this guy about 4 or 5yrs ago they don't look like they have ever been on a gun. I know this guy very well, he is a good guy to deal with..................................M*

Last edited by handejector; 09-15-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:47 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,742 Times in 3,209 Posts

Whats the big deal. Six bills for Cokes, that are not perfect.
I have one set left that are perfect. Absolutely not one diamond in the grip field is crushed. Just waiting for the gun.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,188 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrdn View Post
I would call that chipped. Even though that area isn't exposed when mounted most grip makers would never leave them like that.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:04 PM
Liked 4,405 Times in 1,409 Posts

I have found it very rare for any S&W stocks to be book matched. It happens occasionally but not often. Some were so blatantly mismatched in grain and color that you would have a hard time believing they left the factory that way. Once again they were building guns to use not collectors items.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:05 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I would call that chipped. Even though that area isn't exposed when mounted most grip makers would never leave them like that.
Call it what you like, that's the way S&W made them during that period. Do you have a set of cokes that are not "chipped?" Would love to see them.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Old 09-15-2021, 04:12 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narragansett View Post
They don't look well matches, and they look like GA not walnut.
Shouldn't they be GA rather than walnut? I know S&W used whatever was available from time to time but other than a few allegedly rosewood "cokes" I think all that I've seen (granted, not all that many) were GA.

Jeff
SWCa #1457
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,643 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
There are some online for $850. They have been for sale for quite a while at that price.
That's not the first set he has had at that price - so he has sold at least one set at $850.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Old 09-15-2021, 04:54 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,136 Times in 896 Posts

You'll get no complaint from me about today's stratospheric prices for vintage Smith & Wesson revolvers and factory stocks. Its all about what the market will bear.

What I do have a problem with is people who complain about or, worse yet, belittle a seller for prices that are higher than we have ever seen. Today, you have to be very well off to be able to lay the kind of money down it takes to buy these kinds of things.

Ten years ago, I could afford a lot of this stuff. Today, very little of what I like remains in my price range. Thankfully, I already have quite a few vintage collectible revolvers and a nice stash of beautifully matched factory target and combat stocks. Good thing, as it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to afford any more.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:42 PM

Liked 30,474 Times in 4,373 Posts

The stocks are made of Goncalo alves, not walnut. It is very rare to see a matched pair of checkered stocks. When the 44 Magnum was introduced, its stocks were described as..."Special oversize stocks made of Goncalo alves". Special referring the larger area of checkering than was on diamond target stocks of the period. I have never seen a pair of coke bottle stocks made of rosewood. Some look like rosewood, but are not. If someone has a pair, I would love to see a photo.

Bill
Old 09-15-2021, 06:15 PM
Liked 25,420 Times in 8,549 Posts

I have learned a lot about Smith & Wesson’s on this Forum.
But what wood was used to make the Grips continues to confound and confuse me.
For example, here are some of mine.
What Wood?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F7004A5-00FF-47FB-96FC-99F4DFA177E2.jpg (46.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 06:22 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PILGRIM View Post
I have learned a lot about Smith & Wesson’s on this Forum.
But what wood was used to make the Grips continues to confound and confuse me.
For example, here are some of mine.
What Wood?
IMO, first two are Goncalo Alves. Third and fourth are Walnut.
Nice Group!
Old 09-15-2021, 06:39 PM
Liked 966 Times in 534 Posts

They look to me like they’re mismatched………2 different species of wood!
Old 09-15-2021, 11:43 PM
Vendor
Liked 2,912 Times in 443 Posts

Mis-matched S&W stocks are not uncommon IMO but sometimes its not as noticeable. Have never seen a set of Oversize Targets (cokes) in anything but GA. A true perfect match on butt of Target stocks has to have been done deliberately, again IMO, the factory processed way too much wood for it to just happen. That nice perfect match chevron on the base can only be achieved by cutting a single piece of wood and folding it up while keeping the stripes aligned, this is to me, a butt match not a book match, a book match requires a single thick piece of wood to be split down the middle and folded open just as you would a book !
The color and figure or lack of is all over the map with GA and it oxidizes and ages and rather quickly. The set in question if they line up especially on the base probably started life together.
The price today is pretty much in line. I know of two sets of unmarred and perfect "cokes" selling for 900.00 plus shipping. The sets did not have the not uncommon tool overruns at the border, might have had something to do with final cost