Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 07-01-2022, 11:19 AM
SWCA Member
Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers  
Liked 962 Times in 110 Posts
Default Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers

I am doing a little research to determine exactly when the Dallas P.D. first issued revolvers to their officers instead of requiring them to provide their own. The practice began sometime after WWII and the earliest evidence I've found is a newspaper article dated Feb. 1, 1954, noting that the department was buying 60 "38 revolvers" for newly hired officers from Padgitt Bros.

If you have one, I would like to see a picture, especially if you know when and where it shipped. Pictured is an example of what the marking looks like. It is the earliest example I have personally seen and is on a Combat Masterpiece issued to me in the academy.

It shipped to Dave's Pawn Shop on September 20, 1956. Other possible shipping destinations might be Padgitt Bros., Huey & Philp or Betts & Majors.

In addition to the Combat Masterpiece, the Department also issued the M-15, M-10, M-64 and the Colt Trooper. There might also be a scattering of Highway Patrolmen and Chief's Specials.

Marking locations are usually on the butt and backstrap except for the M-64s which are marked on the left side of the frame.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPD S&W.jpg (61.3 KB, 333 views)
Old 07-01-2022, 11:50 AM
S&W Historian
Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers  
Liked 11,327 Times in 2,891 Posts

Ol,
I recently lettered a .38 Combat Masterpiece that shipped to the Dallas PD on April 2, 1952. It was sold thru Huey & Philip Hardware Company, Inc., Dallas, Texas. It was carried by Dallas Police Officer J. D. Tippitt when he was murdered by Lee Harvey Oswald on November 22, 1963. I did the letter for his grandson, J. D. Tippitt. The DPD stamp is stamped on the butt just like yours.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:05 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,127 Times in 1,938 Posts

Great research project! I currently have guns issued and marked by San Antonio (SAPD), Austin (APD) and Houston (HPD) but not Dallas. I'll keep looking. Good luck with your data collection. Are there any 'blue' cards out there from Dallas?
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 12:10 PM
SWCA Member

Thanks, Don. That's great info and very quick...that's why I like this forum. I've often wondered where J.D.'s pistol ended up. If I can contact his grandson and get a picture, I'll post it.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:54 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
Great research project! I currently have guns issued and marked by San Antonio (SAPD), Austin (APD) and Houston (HPD) but not Dallas. I'll keep looking. Good luck with your data collection. Are there any 'blue' cards out there from Dallas?
As far as I know there is no central file of "blue cards" for DPD guns. For a few of mine, I have a copy of the "Weapons Inventory" card that was given to officers who bought their issued gun. It notes when the department bought the gun and how much it paid. A few, but not all, list previous officers the gun had been issued to and when they turned it in.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 03:21 PM
Liked 29,114 Times in 14,077 Posts

I have a DPD Model 15 (no dash), SN is K34212x, stamped on the butt. I have not lettered it (and don't intend to), so I cannot provide any additional information regarding its provenance. But the SN would place its manufacture in late 1958 and its shipment in the 1958-59 period. It was in fairly sad cosmetic condition when I bought it, and the service grips on it were especially heavily worn. I gave them to a friend as they were much too far gone to do anything with them. I added a pair of S&W smooth presentation target grips I had. As usual, it was in mechanically very good condition. I gave it the Oxypho cold blue treatment, and it now looks fairly good.

My grandson shooting paraffin bullets in my back yard with it several years ago.

Last edited by DWalt; 07-01-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:24 PM
US Veteran
Liked 13,168 Times in 4,570 Posts

Ray's Hardware & Sporting Goods might be of assistance. They've been around a long, long time.

Ray's Sporting Goods

(c) Gearfire
Old 07-02-2022, 02:35 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

One problem is that DPD does not have to be Dallas. I know of at least two Colt Commando 38s of WW II vintage with DPD stamped on the butt; I kept a photo of one, which lettered to the US Maritime Commission but then apparently had a second career with a “DPD”, impossible to determine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 14B147AB-6297-499C-9CCD-F17C68004E18.jpeg (36.0 KB, 84 views)
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 05:33 AM
Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers  
Liked 4,916 Times in 1,705 Posts

Great project and information...

I graduated the academy in May 1977, #3944. Was issued and qualified with a Model 64 that I never carried on duty as I always carried personally owned firearms.

Later I found out that there was some Model 15s and was able to trade the 64 in for a one of them. Left the department in December of 1987 and didn't find out till after I had handed the gun back in that because I had more than 10 years of service I could have purchased the gun...so it was lost to history...

Hope you get lots of response....Bob
Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 PM
S&W Historian

It is great that folks here are afraid to share information.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:42 PM
Liked 1,837 Times in 365 Posts

Sorry for a late response. I am in process of purchasing Colt Commando 4” that is DPD marked and factory letter says shipped to Dallas PD in April, 1944. It is within the US Military serial number range. Also, part of a 16 gun shipment. Should be a very rare bird, but may also be the first issue guns.

Last edited by nyeti; 08-31-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:28 PM
SWCA Member

I think I was in the bidding on that gun or one like it. If it is the same, I'm glad someone here on the forum got it and I would really like to see a picture.

It is indeed the earliest DPD gun I have been able to identify and was probably procured through the Defense Dept. I know New York, Chicago, San Antonio and several other PDs took shipments.

The earliest non-government purchases I have identified so far are Combat Masterpieces shipped early in 1952. Congratulations on your find!
Old 08-31-2023, 07:21 PM
SWCA Member
Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers Dallas P.D. (DPD) Marked Revolvers  
Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Gun Fan View Post
Ol,
I recently lettered a .38 Combat Masterpiece that shipped to the Dallas PD on April 2, 1952. It was sold thru Huey & Philip Hardware Company, Inc., Dallas, Texas. It was carried by Dallas Police Officer J. D. Tippitt when he was murdered by Lee Harvey Oswald on November 22, 1963. I did the letter for his grandson, J. D. Tippitt. The DPD stamp is stamped on the butt just like yours.
Wow! How did you come across that gun? I would have thought the city took back the revolvers of fallen officers. I guess if the cop paid for it himself then it would have went to his family.

I wonder what the value would be for that?
Old 08-31-2023, 07:51 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,568 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
Ray's Hardware & Sporting Goods might be of assistance. They've been around a long, long time.
Ray's Sporting Goods
(c) Gearfire
Ray's has been around a long time and they are just outside of downtown Dallas on Singleton. I went there around 30 years ago. Ray was still living and he sat in a very tall chair that looked over the entire store. Several DPD officers were in there as usual. I think if you were a DPD officer you got an automatic discount from Ray. Their prices have always been high so my purchases have never been huge.
S&WHF #946
S&WCA #3824
Old 08-31-2023, 09:08 PM
Liked 1,738 Times in 624 Posts

This is based on memory, and may or not be of interest.

About 5 years ago I was prowling the pawns shops in Irving Texas, on Irving Blvd, slightly west of the Dallas city limits and saw a Model 10-1 that was marked DPD on the butt similar to the photos above, except each letter was Xed out with a tool similar to a cold chisel. Does anyone know if this was a DPD practice before the department firearms were disposed of ?

The piece was rough, and I remember thinking that it may have ridden in a Dallas PD holster November 22,1963. I made an offer, which was rejected, the shop wanted too much for a rough specimen like that.

Last edited by bulletslap; 09-02-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:23 AM
S&W Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm6893 View Post
Wow! How did you come across that gun? I would have thought the city took back the revolvers of fallen officers. I guess if the cop paid for it himself then it would have went to his family.

I wonder what the value would be for that?
The Grandson contacted me.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:38 AM
SWCA Member

I have a picture of J.D. Tippit's Combat Masterpiece but, for some reason, the forum will only let me post a quick reply without pictures. I will try again later.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:24 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,619 Times in 381 Posts

Relevant only to the 64 DPD's
I have one of these marked DPD. There is a video on you tube from a local DFW news story commenting on the Dallas PD complete retirement of the revolver. Looks identical to mine. Ill post a pic when I get home
Old 10-10-2023, 07:29 PM
Liked 1,837 Times in 365 Posts

Picked up my Colt Commando today. It letters to Dallas PD and there is a clear DPD stamp on the butt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6757.jpg (142.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6751.jpg (103.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 11:06 PM
Liked 477 Times in 234 Posts

The Detroit Michigan Police Department. Also Marked their weapons with the DPD letters.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:42 AM
SWCA Member

Outstanding find on the Commando! I think you now hold the record for the earliest Dallas P.D. issued handgun, beating the one issued to J.D. Tippit by eight years.
Old 10-14-2023, 05:35 PM
Liked 103 Times in 70 Posts

I am surprised that the letters are so uneven. You would think, if they stamped every one of their guns, they would have a stamp made,
or a tray to hold all of the letters.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-14-2023, 09:06 PM
SWCA Member

I'm willing to cut them some slack on that. Until they got the Commandos from the DOD the department had never before issued handguns to their officers and had no reason to have proper stamps or experience using them.

Also, there was a war going on and they were operating with a skeleton crew. I suspect neatness was not a high priority. Once they started issuing guns regularly in 1952 they got much better.