Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
SWCA Member
.32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin'  
Liked 6,095 Times in 1,249 Posts

Introduced by Winchester in 1882 as a new chambering for their famous 1873 rifle, the .32-20 or .32 WCF as it was originally called, was marketed as a combination small game and deer cartridge for the sportsman. Originally a black powder cartridge loaded with a 115 grain lead bullet, it was easily adaptable to smokeless powder. It was improved further with special high velocity factory loads especially loaded for rifle use only, and then only in certain rifles with strong actions. Colt almost immediately began chambering it in their Model 1873 Single Action Army revolver. The .32-20 remained reasonably popular for the next 60 years, being chambered in both rifles and revolvers by a number of firearms manufacturers.

Colt occasionally provided arms chambered for Winchester proprietary cartridges in the later part of the 19th century, beginning with the .44 rimfire, also known as the .44 Henry Flat. This low-powered rimfire round appeared during the Civil War chambered in the Henry rifle, and was also used in the Winchester Model 1866 rifle. Colt made the .44 rimfire an available chambering when the firm introduced their Model 1873 revolver. The Winchester Model 1873 introduced the famous .44-40 (.44WCF) and followed up with the .38-40 (.38 WCF) in 1879, and the .32-20 (.32WCF) in 1882. All these cartridges were popular in their day and, as the Colt SAA could readily be adopted for them, Colt followed Winchester’s lead, providing handguns that would accept these handy cartridges.

I consider the .32-20 to be one of my 10 favorite cartridges. This cute little centerfire round offers a level of performance that is almost unique in any line-up of cartridges available to the shooting sports enthusiast in the 21st century. It offers low recoil in either rifle or revolver and is highly effective for small game hunting and varmint control at ranges out to 100 yards. In this modern age one must handload in order to make the best use of the .32-20. It is the handloader’s friend and may be tailored to deliver much better performance and economy. It makes a good combination cartridge for rifle and handgun.

The .32-20 As a Rifle Cartridge

I get a kick out of using such a small centerfire cartridge on my wanderings afield. The .32-20 is my favored companion at our old home place at Lake Leon or on a deer lease. I’ve used it to take rabbits and squirrels and to lay low the varmints encountered. It won’t destroy as much meat as the .22 Hornet or even the .22 Magnum rimfire round but is just as good a killer. If one handloads, it can be a very inexpensive round to produce. If one casts one’s bullets, it is scarcely more expensive to shoot than the .22 Long Rifle. It may be hotrodded to the point of attaining over 2000 fps with a 100 grain jacketed bullet if one is using a suitable rifle. This brings the .32-20 into the performance category of the .30 Carbine round. I have used such loads in a Winchester Model 92 saddle-ring carbine and also a scoped Marlin Model 1894 CL. These loads still wouldn’t make the .32-20 the deer round originally envisioned by Winchester all those years ago. The high velocity load gives a little flatter trajectory but still only makes the round suitable for shots out to about 150 yards. This high velocity load is not a top choice if one wants to obtain small game for the pot for it will disassemble eatable game. A better choice is a flat nosed or semi-wadcutter lead bullet either purchased or home cast, weighing between 90 grains and 115 grains. The lead SWC bullets made for the .32 S&W Long or for the .32 H&R Magnum are great in a good .32-20 rifle with a mild charge of fast burning powder. Launched at 1100 to 1400 feet per second, these are the loads I enjoy most. The .32-20 may well be the best centerfire plinking round ever though up.

I kept a .32-20 Winchester Model 1892 saddle-ring carbine for many years, only selling it because I wanted to purchase a collectible car. Since I also had a Marlin Model 1894 CL at the time, I sold the more valuable Winchester. I regret that decision as the Winchester was the better design, displayed much better workmanship, was the more accurate, and had a much better trigger. I hadn’t wrung out the Marlin much when I sold the ’92 Winchester or I’d have kept it and let go of the Marlin. I had to obtain another Winchester '92 to be satisfied with my .32-20 rifle.

A good .32-20 rifle could be pressed into service as a short range self defense weapon. With factory loads it looks to be equal to the 7.65 Mauser or the 7.65 Tokorev. With a high velocity handload it would be similar to the .30 Carbine.

Marlin makes runs of their Model 1894 CL in .32-20 and Browning and Winchester both fielded modern versions of the Model 1892 rifle in .32-20. The Marlin may be the only new firearm available for the cartridge. There are lots of classic oldies chambered for .32-20. Some are pricey and some are very reasonable. Winchester, Colt Remington, Marlin, Savage and others made rifles in the round. Some attractive bolt action models may be had, along with single shot rifles, and even some slide action rifles may occasionally be found.

The .32-20 As a Revolver Cartridge

The .32-20 revolver makes a great field companion when holstered on one’s belt. I’ve taken small game and shot pests with mine. One may safely handload most .32-20 revolvers to slightly exceed the performance of the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge. I’ve noticed that the .32-20 is capable of excellent accuracy when employed on paper targets at the range. I have a load using the 90 grain Hornady lead SWC that makes satisfyingly tight, round groups and is so pleasant to shoot. It cuts a neat round hole in the paper and has cut a neat round hole in the head of a rattlesnake on occasion.

A .32-20 revolver would be a minimally suitable self-defense weapon which could be utilized in a pinch. It would perform much like a .32 H&R Magnum. It might be marginally improved by handloading.

The interest in the Colt SAA replicas has benefited the enthusiast who is interested in acquiring newly manufactured revolvers chambered in the .32-20. Several Single Action Army clones are marketed in this round and I notice that the Colt Custom Shop will provide .32-20 versions of their original Model 1873 revolver. Lots of used .32-20 revolvers are out there which should be acquired and put back to work. Besides the original Colt single action, one may find other early 20th century Colt double action revolvers such as the Army Special and the Police Positive Special. Smith & Wesson provided their K frame Military and Police model in .32-20 from 1899 until 1940. A small number of these revolvers featured adjustable sights. These Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers are not hard to come by and not expensive. A tight gun with a good bore and some honest wear is what one is looking for if one wants to shoot .32-20. Leave the condition rarities and their high prices for the collectors.

I have a late 30’s vintage Smith & Wesson Military and Police .32-20 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. This is a very nice revolver, displaying fine workmanship and a deep blue finish. It is very tight and has an excellent trigger, both in single action and double action mode and may be the most accurate handgun I have. For many years I had a nickled companion to this piece that was made in 1906. It was also very accurate but as the nickel finish was rather ragged it went away.

The Thompson Center Contender may be had with a barrel chambered for .32-20. As I understand it, this barrel is in .308 bore diameter rather than the original .312 diameter of the cartridge. A Contender equipped with this barrel could accurately use the lighter weight .308 component bullets available.

A Cartridge With a Split Personality

There’s .32-20’s and then there’s .32-20’s! The original featured 20 grains of black powder. It was suitable for early primitive rife actions and handguns that were made of simple steels with little or no heat-treating. Mention has been made of the high velocity factory loads once available but which are now long gone. Beginning with the Winchester Model 1885 single shot designed by John M. Browning, and continuing with the Winchester Model 1892 also of Browning design, the .32-20 was now housed in some rifles that were engineered to stand higher pressures than black powder generated. In the 20th century Remington, Winchester, and Savage made some nifty bolt action and slide action rifles that are amply strong enough to take advantage of the ballistics that high velocity smokeless loadings could afford. Some of these old higher-pressure factory loads are occasionally found and should not be considered suitable for early rifle designs or for any handgun.

Good .32-20 Rifles and Handguns

Winchester:
Model 1873 lever action
Model 1885 single shot (Low-wall for mild loads--High-wall for HV loadings)
Model 1892 lever action*
Model 53 lever action*
Model 43 bolt action*

Browning:
Model 53 lever action* (copy of the Winchester Model 53)

Cimaron F. A. Co.: (replicas of famous Winchester Models)
Model 1866
Model 1873

Remington:
Rolling Block
Model 25 slide action*

Marlin:
Model 1894 lever action* (original production-1894 to 1936)
Model 1894 CL lever action*(reintroduced 1969 CL version starting in 1988)

Savage:
Model 23 bolt action*

Stevens:
No. 44 single shot

Colt:
Model 1873 Single Action Army
Model 1878 Double Action
Army Special
Police Positive Special
Lightning Model slide action rifle

Smith & Wesson:
Military and Police K frame from 1899 to 1940

Thompson Center Contender*
W/.32-20 barrel

*Suitable for high velocity loadings

Here's the chronograph poop on the .32-20

Handgun data

77 gr. Remington metal case (for .32 ACP), Unique, MV 1362 ME 317
80 gr. Remington lead round nose, Unique MV 909 ME 146
90 gr. Hornady lead SWC, Unique MV 969 ME 188 ES 41
100 gr.Remington JSP No. B22810, Unique MV 932 ME 215
" ", Unique+.5gr. MV 1180 ME 309
" ", IMR4227 MV 1341 ME 399
100 gr. Remington lead No. B22822, Unique MV 1249 ME 346
" ", Unique MV 873 ME 160
115 grain cast lead, Unique MV 764 ME 149
" " Goex FFG MV 846 ME 183

Rifle data

85 gr. Hornady JHP, H110, MV 2143 ME 865 ES 31
" ", IMR 4227 MV 1939 ME 708 ES 52
" ", Unique MV 1365 ME 351 ES 34
90 gr. Hornady lead SWC, Unique MV 1509 ME 455 ES 41
100 gr. Remington lead No. B22822, Unique MV 1227 ME 330
100 gr. Remington JSP No. B22810, H110 MV 2008 ME 890 ES 40
" ", IMR 4227 MV 1792 ME 711 ES 54
" ", Unique MV 1233 ME 337 ES 65
115 gr. cast lead, Unique MV 1180 ME 356
" " Goex FFG MV 1256 ME 402

Handgun used: Smith&Wesson Military & Police w/4-inch barrel
Rifle used: Winchester Model 1892 with 20-inch barrel
Oehler Model 12 chronograph

I dislike revealing exact handloading data on a forum format. Anyone seeking more detailed information may contact me through the Forum email feature.

I don't make use of the high velocity loads shown above as I don't want to risk firing one in the revolver. Besides, they are really outside the spirit of the .32-20 and it's use as a fun cartridge.

This Round Deserves More Attention Than It Receives.

I wish that demand would cause more arms to be offered in this round. It would also be nice to have a selection of both jacketed and lead bullets available in factory loadings at reasonable prices. I could wish for more handloading component bullets too. The .32-20 is a fine cartridge with which to relax on a lazy afternoon. Sort of a centerfire version of a .22. The only other round that might be similar is the .25-20WCF but it isn’t chambered in handguns. I have firearms for various “serious” purposes. I like having .32-20’s just for bumming around when I want something more than a .22 Long Rifle. It is a good round with which to unwind, chill out and take a break from louder, harder kicking weapons. A serious cartridge for those who are serious about their shooting relaxation.

Friends
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
SWCA Member
.32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin' .32-20 A Serious Cartridge for Relaxin'  

Introduced by Winchester in 1882 as a new chambering for their famous 1873 rifle, the .32-20 or .32 WCF as it was originally called, was marketed as a combination small game and deer cartridge for the sportsman. Originally a black powder cartridge loaded with a 115 grain lead bullet, it was easily adaptable to smokeless powder. It was improved further with special high velocity factory loads especially loaded for rifle use only, and then only in certain rifles with strong actions. Colt almost immediately began chambering it in their Model 1873 Single Action Army revolver. The .32-20 remained reasonably popular for the next 60 years, being chambered in both rifles and revolvers by a number of firearms manufacturers.

Colt occasionally provided arms chambered for Winchester proprietary cartridges in the later part of the 19th century, beginning with the .44 rimfire, also known as the .44 Henry Flat. This low-powered rimfire round appeared during the Civil War chambered in the Henry rifle, and was also used in the Winchester Model 1866 rifle. Colt made the .44 rimfire an available chambering when the firm introduced their Model 1873 revolver. The Winchester Model 1873 introduced the famous .44-40 (.44WCF) and followed up with the .38-40 (.38 WCF) in 1879, and the .32-20 (.32WCF) in 1882. All these cartridges were popular in their day and, as the Colt SAA could readily be adopted for them, Colt followed Winchester’s lead, providing handguns that would accept these handy cartridges.

I consider the .32-20 to be one of my 10 favorite cartridges. This cute little centerfire round offers a level of performance that is almost unique in any line-up of cartridges available to the shooting sports enthusiast in the 21st century. It offers low recoil in either rifle or revolver and is highly effective for small game hunting and varmint control at ranges out to 100 yards. In this modern age one must handload in order to make the best use of the .32-20. It is the handloader’s friend and may be tailored to deliver much better performance and economy. It makes a good combination cartridge for rifle and handgun.

The .32-20 As a Rifle Cartridge

I get a kick out of using such a small centerfire cartridge on my wanderings afield. The .32-20 is my favored companion at our old home place at Lake Leon or on a deer lease. I’ve used it to take rabbits and squirrels and to lay low the varmints encountered. It won’t destroy as much meat as the .22 Hornet or even the .22 Magnum rimfire round but is just as good a killer. If one handloads, it can be a very inexpensive round to produce. If one casts one’s bullets, it is scarcely more expensive to shoot than the .22 Long Rifle. It may be hotrodded to the point of attaining over 2000 fps with a 100 grain jacketed bullet if one is using a suitable rifle. This brings the .32-20 into the performance category of the .30 Carbine round. I have used such loads in a Winchester Model 92 saddle-ring carbine and also a scoped Marlin Model 1894 CL. These loads still wouldn’t make the .32-20 the deer round originally envisioned by Winchester all those years ago. The high velocity load gives a little flatter trajectory but still only makes the round suitable for shots out to about 150 yards. This high velocity load is not a top choice if one wants to obtain small game for the pot for it will disassemble eatable game. A better choice is a flat nosed or semi-wadcutter lead bullet either purchased or home cast, weighing between 90 grains and 115 grains. The lead SWC bullets made for the .32 S&W Long or for the .32 H&R Magnum are great in a good .32-20 rifle with a mild charge of fast burning powder. Launched at 1100 to 1400 feet per second, these are the loads I enjoy most. The .32-20 may well be the best centerfire plinking round ever though up.

I kept a .32-20 Winchester Model 1892 saddle-ring carbine for many years, only selling it because I wanted to purchase a collectible car. Since I also had a Marlin Model 1894 CL at the time, I sold the more valuable Winchester. I regret that decision as the Winchester was the better design, displayed much better workmanship, was the more accurate, and had a much better trigger. I hadn’t wrung out the Marlin much when I sold the ’92 Winchester or I’d have kept it and let go of the Marlin. I had to obtain another Winchester '92 to be satisfied with my .32-20 rifle.

A good .32-20 rifle could be pressed into service as a short range self defense weapon. With factory loads it looks to be equal to the 7.65 Mauser or the 7.65 Tokorev. With a high velocity handload it would be similar to the .30 Carbine.

Marlin makes runs of their Model 1894 CL in .32-20 and Browning and Winchester both fielded modern versions of the Model 1892 rifle in .32-20. The Marlin may be the only new firearm available for the cartridge. There are lots of classic oldies chambered for .32-20. Some are pricey and some are very reasonable. Winchester, Colt Remington, Marlin, Savage and others made rifles in the round. Some attractive bolt action models may be had, along with single shot rifles, and even some slide action rifles may occasionally be found.

The .32-20 As a Revolver Cartridge

The .32-20 revolver makes a great field companion when holstered on one’s belt. I’ve taken small game and shot pests with mine. One may safely handload most .32-20 revolvers to slightly exceed the performance of the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge. I’ve noticed that the .32-20 is capable of excellent accuracy when employed on paper targets at the range. I have a load using the 90 grain Hornady lead SWC that makes satisfyingly tight, round groups and is so pleasant to shoot. It cuts a neat round hole in the paper and has cut a neat round hole in the head of a rattlesnake on occasion.

A .32-20 revolver would be a minimally suitable self-defense weapon which could be utilized in a pinch. It would perform much like a .32 H&R Magnum. It might be marginally improved by handloading.

The interest in the Colt SAA replicas has benefited the enthusiast who is interested in acquiring newly manufactured revolvers chambered in the .32-20. Several Single Action Army clones are marketed in this round and I notice that the Colt Custom Shop will provide .32-20 versions of their original Model 1873 revolver. Lots of used .32-20 revolvers are out there which should be acquired and put back to work. Besides the original Colt single action, one may find other early 20th century Colt double action revolvers such as the Army Special and the Police Positive Special. Smith & Wesson provided their K frame Military and Police model in .32-20 from 1899 until 1940. A small number of these revolvers featured adjustable sights. These Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers are not hard to come by and not expensive. A tight gun with a good bore and some honest wear is what one is looking for if one wants to shoot .32-20. Leave the condition rarities and their high prices for the collectors.

I have a late 30’s vintage Smith & Wesson Military and Police .32-20 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. This is a very nice revolver, displaying fine workmanship and a deep blue finish. It is very tight and has an excellent trigger, both in single action and double action mode and may be the most accurate handgun I have. For many years I had a nickled companion to this piece that was made in 1906. It was also very accurate but as the nickel finish was rather ragged it went away.

The Thompson Center Contender may be had with a barrel chambered for .32-20. As I understand it, this barrel is in .308 bore diameter rather than the original .312 diameter of the cartridge. A Contender equipped with this barrel could accurately use the lighter weight .308 component bullets available.

A Cartridge With a Split Personality

There’s .32-20’s and then there’s .32-20’s! The original featured 20 grains of black powder. It was suitable for early primitive rife actions and handguns that were made of simple steels with little or no heat-treating. Mention has been made of the high velocity factory loads once available but which are now long gone. Beginning with the Winchester Model 1885 single shot designed by John M. Browning, and continuing with the Winchester Model 1892 also of Browning design, the .32-20 was now housed in some rifles that were engineered to stand higher pressures than black powder generated. In the 20th century Remington, Winchester, and Savage made some nifty bolt action and slide action rifles that are amply strong enough to take advantage of the ballistics that high velocity smokeless loadings could afford. Some of these old higher-pressure factory loads are occasionally found and should not be considered suitable for early rifle designs or for any handgun.

Good .32-20 Rifles and Handguns

Winchester:
Model 1873 lever action
Model 1885 single shot (Low-wall for mild loads--High-wall for HV loadings)
Model 1892 lever action*
Model 53 lever action*
Model 43 bolt action*

Browning:
Model 53 lever action* (copy of the Winchester Model 53)

Cimaron F. A. Co.: (replicas of famous Winchester Models)
Model 1866
Model 1873

Remington:
Rolling Block
Model 25 slide action*

Marlin:
Model 1894 lever action* (original production-1894 to 1936)
Model 1894 CL lever action*(reintroduced 1969 CL version starting in 1988)

Savage:
Model 23 bolt action*

Stevens:
No. 44 single shot

Colt:
Model 1873 Single Action Army
Model 1878 Double Action
Army Special
Police Positive Special
Lightning Model slide action rifle

Smith & Wesson:
Military and Police K frame from 1899 to 1940

Thompson Center Contender*
W/.32-20 barrel

*Suitable for high velocity loadings

Here's the chronograph poop on the .32-20

Handgun data

77 gr. Remington metal case (for .32 ACP), Unique, MV 1362 ME 317
80 gr. Remington lead round nose, Unique MV 909 ME 146
90 gr. Hornady lead SWC, Unique MV 969 ME 188 ES 41
100 gr.Remington JSP No. B22810, Unique MV 932 ME 215
" ", Unique+.5gr. MV 1180 ME 309
" ", IMR4227 MV 1341 ME 399
100 gr. Remington lead No. B22822, Unique MV 1249 ME 346
" ", Unique MV 873 ME 160
115 grain cast lead, Unique MV 764 ME 149
" " Goex FFG MV 846 ME 183

Rifle data

85 gr. Hornady JHP, H110, MV 2143 ME 865 ES 31
" ", IMR 4227 MV 1939 ME 708 ES 52
" ", Unique MV 1365 ME 351 ES 34
90 gr. Hornady lead SWC, Unique MV 1509 ME 455 ES 41
100 gr. Remington lead No. B22822, Unique MV 1227 ME 330
100 gr. Remington JSP No. B22810, H110 MV 2008 ME 890 ES 40
" ", IMR 4227 MV 1792 ME 711 ES 54
" ", Unique MV 1233 ME 337 ES 65
115 gr. cast lead, Unique MV 1180 ME 356
" " Goex FFG MV 1256 ME 402

Handgun used: Smith&Wesson Military & Police w/4-inch barrel
Rifle used: Winchester Model 1892 with 20-inch barrel
Oehler Model 12 chronograph

I dislike revealing exact handloading data on a forum format. Anyone seeking more detailed information may contact me through the Forum email feature.

I don't make use of the high velocity loads shown above as I don't want to risk firing one in the revolver. Besides, they are really outside the spirit of the .32-20 and it's use as a fun cartridge.

This Round Deserves More Attention Than It Receives.

I wish that demand would cause more arms to be offered in this round. It would also be nice to have a selection of both jacketed and lead bullets available in factory loadings at reasonable prices. I could wish for more handloading component bullets too. The .32-20 is a fine cartridge with which to relax on a lazy afternoon. Sort of a centerfire version of a .22. The only other round that might be similar is the .25-20WCF but it isn’t chambered in handguns. I have firearms for various “serious” purposes. I like having .32-20’s just for bumming around when I want something more than a .22 Long Rifle. It is a good round with which to unwind, chill out and take a break from louder, harder kicking weapons. A serious cartridge for those who are serious about their shooting relaxation.

Friends
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-14-2006, 01:11 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,106 Posts

Very good post. While most of my relaxin' shooting is done with the 22lr I sure wouldn't mind a 32-20. Almost bought a Marlin in that caliber but practicality made me buy a 357!
Thanks for the good info.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:14 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 348 Times in 127 Posts

I agree, excellent post. I also love to "play" around with the 32-20. The first one I acquired is a Winchester mdl. 53. This rifle belonged to my Great-Grandfather, and spurred my interest in handloading for the cartridge. Since acquiring the Winchester I have accumulated 4 S&W M&P 32-20's and one Colt Police Positive Special. All the Smiths shoot great but the Colt shoots lousy, but it does have a bad bore.

I shoot a "Cowboy" load of around 2.7 gr. of Titegroup with a hard cast 115 gr. bullet. This load shoots really well, but I have not chronographed it for velocity, ect.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

Many thanx for an informative article.. I agree, the 32-20 is a great round and is under appreciated.. Don't forget the Colt Official Police and the the American Western Arms pieces, both chambered in 32-20 WCF......TIN
Old 10-14-2006, 04:18 PM
SWCA Member

Cool! I wasn't aware that the .32-20 was carried over when the Official Police came out.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a pair of revolvers chambered for the .32-20 cartridge.

A 1927 made Colt Army Special six inch and a Ruger "Buckeye Special" New Model Blackhawk Convertible with both the .32-20 and .32 Magnum cylinders.

I've chronographed the Winchester 100 gr lead and the Remington 100 gr JSP in both revolvers.

Win 100 gr lead.

Colt - 835.8 fps/155 fpe
Ruger - 871.4 fps/169 fpe

Rem 100 gr JSP.

Colt - 786.6 fps/137 fpe
Ruger - 856.6 fps/163 fpe

These loads are quite tame in both revolvers and are IMHO just about useless for any practical purpose. Not to mention expensive.

I handload the .32-20 with a lead 100 gr SWC and this load gives just over 1000 fps in the Colt and does a bit better in the Ruger. It makes a good plinking/general purpose load in either revolver.

I have put together some "Ruger only" .32-20 rounds using the Hornady 85 gr XTP and stout charges of H110 that chrono'd at over 1400 fps. This load is deadly on small vermin such as ground squirrels and feral cats. But it is hard on the brass. Good thing I have almost 1000 cases on hand....

Roadster
Old 10-14-2006, 06:51 PM
US Veteran
Liked 24,942 Times in 8,538 Posts

Oh yes, Colt chambered the Official Police in .32-20. I have a 5" OP that for some reason I shoot better than I do my M&Ps.

I've looked for a Remington Rolling Block, but haven't been sucessful yet. One fun gun that I did locate was an Australian Martini that had been rechambered from .310 to .32-20. It's a great shooting little rifle, just right for walking the fields.

USFA and Uberti both make .32-20 single action revolvers. Uberti also makes a real fun gun, the Model P Jr. This is a 7/8 scale single action. I have one in .32-20/.32 Magnum.

I blame Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith for my .32-20 illness. Both wrote about the cartridge and the guns that were chambered for it.

I have a small stash of S&W .32-20 barrels and cylinders that will some day be used to convert a few .38 M&Ps into the smaller caliber.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I'm going to build what will basically be a 5" M19 in .32-20/.32 Magnum. Hopefully I'll get this done in 2007.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Liked 1,237 Times in 449 Posts

32-20 are indeed neat. I still occasionally look in Numrich for a Savage 219 barrel in 32-20; always thought they were kinda purty rifles. Muley's post reminded me that a while back someone here was considering turning a K-22 (or something) into a 25-20 revolver. Anything ever come of that?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 PM
SWCA Member

I don't know how well a .25-20 would work. Tapered cases can give trouble in a revolver.

My M&P got balky when testing the IMR4227 loads with cases backing out and tying up the revolver.

I'ved not had good results from modern factory .32-20 ammunition. It is low-powered and inaccurate in both rifle and revolver in my experience.

I'm impressed with the number of .32-20 fans on the Forum. Before I joined I thought I was the only one who actually liked the .32-20.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Banned
Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Muley Gil:
I have a small stash of S&W .32-20 barrels and cylinders that will some day be used to convert a few .38 M&Ps into the smaller caliber.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I'm going to build what will basically be a 5" M19 in .32-20/.32 Magnum. Hopefully I'll get this done in 2007.
Gil;
Any chance you have an 1899 HE barrel you'd be willing to sell? Been searching for a few months now, without any luck. Posted in the classified section...no luck there either.

Regards;
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 AM
US Veteran

If I had one, I'd send it to you, but no, mine are all for later model M&Ps.

I keep reading your posts, hoping that you have found one.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 10-15-2006, 01:30 PM

Would be nice to build a "convertible", where-by switching cylinders one could fire 32-20 or .32 long or short ammo for some cheap shooting... just a thought.. TIN..
Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 PM
US Veteran

Tin,

That's what I am building. I'm starting with a 6" M16-4 in .32 H&R Magnum, which also fires .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long. I'll fit a K-22 cylinder and then have that cylinder rechambered to .32-20.

1) Practical? - probably not.
2) Expensive? - yeah.
3) Could I ever get my money back out of it? -
hell no.
4) Foolish? - see # 2 above.
5) Do I want it? - <span class="ev_code_RED">YUP</span>
WAR EAGLE!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:46 PM
SWCA Member

Wish S&W would build a .32-20 version of the original K-32 Masterpiece. That'll happen just after Colt builds the Python in .41 Colt.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 AM
Banned
Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Muley Gil:
Tin,

That's what I am building. I'm starting with a 6" M16-4 in .32 H&R Magnum, which also fires .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long. I'll fit a K-22 cylinder and then have that cylinder rechambered to .32-20.

1) Practical? - probably not.
2) Expensive? - yeah.
3) Could I ever get my money back out of it? -
hell no.
4) Foolish? - see # 2 above.
5) Do I want it? - <span class="ev_code_RED">YUP</span>
Gil;
I have a complete 85-90% 32WCF cylinder assembly with crane, ejector and extractor for a 1905 HE. Also a rare 2 inch .32 barrel for same, in the white, never polished. Contact me via email if your interested. And thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Muley Gil: congrats on a nice project.. But #1 Practical??, sure it is..Expensive?? yes but it's only money..cheaper than a new car and more fun..#3 dont worry about the money return,, enjoy it...Foolish ?? not at all.. so enjoy it, you only come this way one time... TIN...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,178 Times in 933 Posts

I agree with the fun of the .32-20 and I've found it easy to reload for. I've got several:
1899 S&W HE (serial #1820)
1905 4th change circa 1920 with Wondersight
1889 Marlin Safety first year of production
Remington Model 25 Slide (with a matching one in .25-20)
I got interested in the .32-20 after I got my first Russian Nagant pistol. I started using slightly modified .32-20 cases for it and things just went from there.
SWCA #2243 SWHF #292
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
SWCA Member

ctg4570

I imagine those Remington Model 25's are a lot of fun. They are quite scarce here in Texas.

Where's Soddy, Tennessee? I go to Henderson, near Jackson quite often.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,176 Times in 605 Posts

I have a 32.30 Colt SAA 1st gen from around 1911 and a Colt Army Special in 32.20.
Both shoot very well, nearly to POA with BlackHills ammo.
The SAA is a 7.5"in cosmetically poor shape, with nearly all the blue gone, but functionally it is perfect. It actually shoots well. It is(was) a working gun! The Army Spl. is very nice with som touches of surface blue rust that has been cleaned. I shoot these very little and toyed with having Doug Turnbull refinish the SAA. I was told that the minimum charge would be $2000.and the selling price of a finished 1st gen.gun is about $4500.00 (however, the 32.20 is the LEAST popular cartridge they sell). Actually, they referred to it as their "Dog" cartridge.- "hard to sell". I have seen similar guns (to mine) priced at $1500-$1900, so I guess that it is really best to sell this one and buy another. I do like the way these shoot.
Terry
Old 10-18-2006, 11:32 AM
SWCA Member

tjpopkin

Both your SAA and your Army Special are great shooting candidates in .32-20. If your SAA came by its cosmetic appearance honestly and hasn't been harshly scrubbed or damaged I'd be tickled with it as it is. That Army Special could be a top choice for .32-20 shooting. I like the frame size and trigger pull of most early Colt DA's Ive seen.

I've never tried the Black Hills .32-20 ammo. Perhaps I should. Some late production Winchester .32-20 I got a while back was disappointing.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:04 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,176 Times in 605 Posts

bmcgilvay,
Absolutely, the SAA is an honest working gun..
It belonged to a friend who had a friend that used it for years. It really shoots well. In fact, at 45yds, it is right on. So is the Army Spl. I was truly impressed with the BlackHills Ammo in these guns..I bought the dies and brass, and now some reloading chores.That is unless I get an offer I can't refuse.
Terry
Old 10-18-2006, 04:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is a Colt Police Positive 5" for sale at the ON TARGET GUNSHOP in St. Louis for $250. It has the old style hard rubber grips. Condition is decent, with lots of scratches and small pits, and maybe 50% finish. Tight lock-up. I passed on it due to the lightly pitted barrel.

I'm still looking for a nice 32-20 revolver.

Wonder why Smith doesn't offer a special new run in this chambering?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
US Veteran
Liked 6,598 Times in 1,838 Posts

I'd like to have a nice 5 or 6" K frame in .32-20, but so far haven't found the right confluence of condition and price.

I do have a Browning 53 in the caliber though:

The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Liked 4,329 Times in 825 Posts

This is my only .32-20. As per Roy J., it dates to 1927. It has what appears to be a King Super Police Night Sight...front sight only.

I've pictured it here in the past...thought about getting it lettered for whatever reason, but have not done so.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 AM

Cocked & Locked, great looking piece you have there.... Tin..
Old 10-20-2006, 02:47 PM
SWCA Member

C&L that's a nice revolver. The grips have a rich dark color. The can of Whiz looks to be about as old as the revolver. Wonder if it was a LEO's side arm in its day since it has the sight modification.

I always liked the pistol grip versions of lever action rifles. Bullet Bob's has the right look with the pistol grip and the fancy walnut. I don't need one like that I'd have to shoot it.

Does anyone hunt with his .32-20 and have any tales to tell? Has anyone actually used a .32-20 to take a deer? I've got a friend who used a .25-50 Winchester Model '92 to take his first two deer when he was a kid.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Liked 4,329 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone hunt with his .32-20 and have any tales to tell? Has anyone actually used a .32-20 to take a deer?
I have not, probably on the anemic side from the revolver.

But now you've got me thinking. I'm going deer hunting tomorrow and am carrying my .30-40 Krag that was very nicely sporterized (new handmade stock and all) by an armorer during WWII.

Perhaps I should carry my .32-20 S&W revolver along as my sidearm just for the cool factor if nothing else.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:02 PM
US Veteran
Liked 6,598 Times in 1,838 Posts

"I always liked the pistol grip versions of lever action rifles. Bullet Bob's has the right look with the pistol grip and the fancy walnut. I don't need one like that I'd have to shoot it."

And I do! That picture is from the seller; it doesn't look quite that pristine anymore.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 PM
SWCA Member

Good for you Bullet Bob. Bet it shoots great.

I've taken a few deer with my .30-40. Works great.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts

The 32-20 is great. I have a hand ejector from 1912 that is very accurate. I do not shoot hot loads in it due to the soft steel. my understanding is that these were not heat treated until the 20's. The Ruger buckeye and Browning 53 will take a lot of magnum level loads. I feel like the 32-20 is under appreciated. If more people would try it I think it would be more popular. It makes a great field ctg. but to get the level of performance that it is capable of you must handload. There have been some good articles in Handloader about loading this caliber. The 32-20 is one of my favorites.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 AM
US Veteran
Liked 308 Times in 108 Posts

I love my .32-20, there is just something about walking through the woods with this old Smith on my hip, I also have a Marlin 1894cl in the same chambering. To keep the reloads seperate, when I place the rifle loads into an MTM plastic case I take a large red sharpie and draw a line across the base of each.
RD

Old 10-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Liked 1,067 Times in 327 Posts

Smithhound

I have the same combination. I had the Browning 53, but it was too pretty to take out in the woods, so I sold it to somebody who would. The Smith is about my favorite.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a 1905 2nd change 32-20 target a week or so ago, knowingly paying too much but I wanted it! The bluing is probably only 75% or so, the bore is great & the grips # to the rest of it. Shot it this last weekend & it was a ton of fun. Here is my question: in the trigger guard at some point in time someone drilled two holes. They run parallel to the triggerguard. They had been filled with plug screws at some time in the past. Any guesses as to what they were for? Ever heard of this modification before?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 AM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

bmcgilvay,
I saw what I thought was a Winchester Mod 94 marked 32 WCF this week in very nice condition for sale for $400.

What do you think? Is that a decent buy with good wood, nice bluing, some wear on the receiver, but honest wear?

For some reason I was thinking the 32 WCF was a longer cartridge, not a pistol round. Obviously you know more about it than I do.

I think I better go back today and look at that winchester again.

This is at the shop I told you about that sells mostly machine guns and special class 3 guns. They don't pay much attention there to the old Smith's I like, and apparently, Winchester lever actions either.I find some real bargains there some days.

Nice pics "B"

Bill
S&WCA #2018
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Liked 1,067 Times in 327 Posts

Depicts,

If you bought a Winchester 1892 in .32 WCF for $400, you have done very well. I just paid $1200 for a quite nice Take down rifle, and I thought I was about right. The take down feature adds a little, but condition is mosre important. Just after I bought mine, I saw a solid frame in .32 for $750, with the octagon barrel so heavily polished for refinishing that you had to look twice to see that it wasn't round.

When I first started buying guns, in the late fifties, model 92's were $35 on up, with many to choose from. Now, as with all lever guns, whether Winchester, Marlin, or Savage, the sky seems to be the limit.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks Dave, I'll have to take a much closer look at the rifle. I couldn't get there today.
S&WCA #2018
Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Liked 211 Times in 56 Posts

That is one classy looking Smith. I saw one that looked like that at the last gunshow I went to though it was in 38 spl caliber.

Picture is of a Colt army special made in 1923 same as my Mother and a Marlin from 1898 both in 32-20.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depicts
Better check that Model 94 again. I don't think that model was ever chambered for 32-20. It was chambered for .32-40 and .32 Special, however.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Liked 114 Times in 32 Posts

i love this round. have a 1905 M&P 6", an SAA colt, two M-92 win and a rem m-25 pump. its a mild plinker and you can easy jack it up to mini magnum status in a good 92 or solid SAA smokeless proofed revolver. it the perfect wood chuck killer along the ditches and wooded areas here in MI farm country. the remington pump seems to shoot the round very well indeed. Phil
Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 AM

Liked 72 Times in 13 Posts

Excellent write-up! The 32-20 is my favourite small game cartridge. I shoot it in an original Winchester Model 1892 rifle made in 1903. It's cheap like Borscht to reload and kills those varmints dead. I usually choose a velocity of around 1,200 fps which gives a quieter 'snap' of a report rather than an ear-splitting 'crack' and the 85 grain bullets still go right through the Woodchucks that are constantly digging massive holes in my alfalfa field. An old S&W sixgun chambered in 32-20 would make an excellent companion to the rifle. Here's a photo of my old Winchester, veteran of 104 summers ....

Tags
browning, carbine, cartridge, chronograph, colt, ejector, hornady, k frame, m16, m19, masterpiece, military, model 19, model 25, police positive special, remington, rimfire, saa, savage, thompson, wadcutter, walnut, winchester