Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency?  
Liked 343 Times in 85 Posts
Default Renaissance Wax - Frequency?

So, how often do you re-apply the wax? If say you haven't shot your safe queen in a while, do you just keep polishing it? I recall reading that several coats aren't a bad thing - is this true? I know, I know I need to go shoot the thing (I plan to later this month, but meanwhile . . . ).

Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency?  
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Default Renaissance .....

bubbaJoe - Renaissance wax, in my opinion, can be applied after each session of shooting 50 rounds or more. A nice compliment to the Renaissance product, which is less time consuming to use, is the Selvyt Jewelry Cleaning Cloth (JC) which is already inpregnated w/ jewelers rouge, and their Pro Polishing (washable) Buffing Cloth (PR), it's non-abrasive and can also be used to buff off the Renaissance Wax. I also purchased a pair of non-abrasive cotton gloves from them, that I wear when cleaning. Check out their web sit at: selvytusa.com. To purchase, you need to check out their US distributor: starstruckllc.com. Once connected, type in "selvyt" in the search box to order, approx. $12. for both cloths + shipping, and I believe $3. for the gloves. Good luck!
JR (Shadow SD)

Last edited by The Shadow; 05-14-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I had similar thoughts BubbaJoe, I just had this 29-3 re-blued by S&W and wanted to put a coat of Ren Wax on it. Think it will be ok?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

I apply it after every cleaning, which may be after a trip to the range or just a periodic inspection.
A coat of wax is the best thing you can do for a new gun or a newly re-blued gun!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 535 Times in 260 Posts

Do the members that use wax degrease the revolver before waxing? I have never waxed a blued gun, only nickel. I'm wondering about a rust issue on a blue gun without oil on it.
Steve
Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Banned
Liked 52 Times in 8 Posts

I use this stuff. RejeX

It's wonderful!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Liked 870 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmyth View Post
Do the members that use wax degrease the revolver before waxing? I have never waxed a blued gun, only nickel. I'm wondering about a rust issue on a blue gun without oil on it.
Steve
By degreasing, I assume you mean to remove the old wax. I don't. If you've shot it, clean it. But if it hasn't been shot since the last wax, I don't see any need to degrease it. As far as rust on a blued gun that has been waxed, nope. I use Ren. Wax, and have never had any rust on a waxed gun.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency?  
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

I use Johnson's Paste Wax. Found it at Ace Hardware.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have been using Johnson's paste wax for about 6 months. I try to wax the firearm every week that it is used. I don't take any special steps to remove the old wax ... just a good wipe down with a clean microfiber cloth. Working good so far.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned
Liked 3,241 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Johnson's Paste Wax

I used to use JPW before a friend of mine sent me a can of Renaissance wax, and I found the results very satisfactory. I will say the Ren wax is a little harder finish and does not show finger prints as easy. JPW is a LOT cheaper.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
US Veteran
Liked 609 Times in 206 Posts

I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

I think any paste wax will work well.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts

How is the durability of the various waxes discussed, i.e. on a gun that is regularly carried in a holster?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts

Any paste wax which is non-abrasive will work. The thing is that Renaissance Wax is a non-yellowing, non-oxidizing museum grade product. This may or may not affect your intended use of the product.

Bruce
Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Liked 621 Times in 185 Posts
Default Three Coates Each

I was introduced to RenWax by a fellow Forum member. These two have three coats each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200.jpg (70.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 206.jpg (59.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 209.jpg (76.5 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by dlbx2; 05-13-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency?  
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Wink

[QUOTE=dlbx2;135473799]I was introduced to RenWax by a fellow Forum member. These two have three coats each.[/QUOTE
Boy!, that RenWax sure make those revolvers look dull.

JUST KIDDING!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Liked 11,060 Times in 3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbx2 View Post
I was introduced to RenWax by a fellow Forum member. These two have three coats each.
WOW, that nickeled 29 looks almost liquid.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Liked 54 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2xl View Post
bubbaJoe - Renaissance wax, in my opinion, can be applied after each session of shooting 50 rounds or more. A nice compliment to the Renaissance product, which is less time consuming to use, is the Selvyt Jewelry Cleaning Cloth (JC) which is already inpregnated w/ jewelers rouge, and their Pro Polishing (buffing) Cloth (PR), it's non-abrasive and can also be used to buff off the Renaissance Wax. Check out their web sit at: selvytusa.com. To purchase, you need to check out their US distributor: starstruckllc.com. Once connected, type in "selvyt" in the search box to order, approx. $12. for both + shipping. Good luck!
JR (Shadow of Kalee)
I don't follow. Do you wax with Ren and then follow with selvyt or the other way around? Also, which selvyt cloth are you using in combination with Ren.? I have the Ren wax I use on my Italian marble lamp, and leather furniture, etc. Never considered it for my 'bright polished' stainless.

Last edited by SaberOne; 05-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Liked 19,398 Times in 4,088 Posts

Ren Wax... anytime.............
Anything......................................

Before..

AFTER Saddlesoap and RENWAX,,

SWCA #2306
DAV in honor of POP

Last edited by ditrina; 05-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

And, where is the best place to get Renwax? TIA

Buddy
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Liked 19,398 Times in 4,088 Posts

Brownell's has it..and most time somebody at a local Gun Show is selling it.. a little goes a looong way
Or
Restoration, Preservation, Conservation

RENAISSANCE WAXis used in the following places in the U.S. - The Smithsonian Institute, Colonial Williamsburg Conservatory, Abraham Lincoln Residence, Vicksburg Military Park and Museum, Henry Ford Museum, Academy of Arts, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NRA Museum, Rockefeller Restorations, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Hilton Hotels, BYU Museum of Art, National Ornamental Metals Museum, as well as other museums, government agencies, craftsmen, collectors both professional and amature alike.
In the United Kingdom it is used in the British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Buckingham Palace, Military Museums at Aldershot, H.M. the Queens Royal Armourer, The National Museum of Antiquities - Scotland, Royal Armories (London & Leeds), The Imperial War Museum, Windsor Castle, and The Tower of London.
SWCA #2306
DAV in honor of POP
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM

I bought mine from a business selling it on eBay. There were several people selling it, and in different sizes, some offering free shipping. As stated in previous post, a forum member recently told me about it, and it is good as advertised! The two revolvers I have in the previous post had the stocks removed and the guns and stocks were done individually, after wiping off all silicone from a protective wipe that I had used. Although it does a great job of fingerprint protection, I always use cheap cotton gloves when cleaning guns.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, old reliable E-Bay....7 oz for $27.50 shipped, seemed to be the best deal. Antique dealer. I have been using some OLD wooden golf club head wax. Good, but running out. I don't think it is as good as Renwax, just heavy carnuba.
I look forward to using it .
Thanks
Buddy
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Default Renaissance Wax .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberOne View Post
I don't follow. Do you wax with Ren and then follow with selvyt or the other way around? Also, which selvyt cloth are you using in combination with Ren.?
Dan - If your putting several rounds (50+-) through your handgun every outing, I'd apply a moderate to light coat of Renaissance Wax, let dry and buff w/ Selvyt's washable Pro Polishing cloth (PR). If on occasion, you're putting fewer rounds through your gun, you only need to clean with Selvyt's Jewelers Cloth (impregnated w/ Jewelers Rouge) and buff dry with the Pro Polishing cloth. It maintains the exterior of my SS, blued and CCH (Color Case Hardened) SA firearms in immaculate condition, and the last process is relatively quick. I use non abrasive cotton gloves when cleaning all my firearms to eliminate finger prints best I can. Their also available at SelvytUSA. If you're looking for the best price on "Renaissance Wax", $25.50 for 200 ml (7 oz) including shipping in No. America, check out Restorer Supplies at: restorersupplies.com. Hopefully this more detailed explanation was helpful.
Shadow SD

Last edited by The Shadow; 05-17-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,208 Times in 737 Posts

doesn't get any better then renaissance wax...
SWCA#2208
KK4EMO
Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
US Veteran
Liked 22,313 Times in 8,245 Posts

When I first started using it I found it at a Wood worker website. Was highly recommended for antique and high grade furniture.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Almost looks wet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 207.jpg (83.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 208.jpg (80.5 KB, 64 views)
Be Kind! John 3:16,14:27
Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Just So I Understand...

Earlier in this thread, a question came up about whether one should remove the oil before applying the wax. It wasn't clear to me if one should do that. If so, is the wax replacing oil as a protectant? Shouldn't oil be reapplied before the gun is fired?

BTW, the guns in this thread are absolutely stunning. Real show pieces!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Renaissance Wax - Frequency? Renaissance Wax - Frequency?  
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Milt Sparks Holster sells and recommends it; it is the premier product for its intended purpose.

Tags
leather, military, nra, renaissance