Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default another interesting perspective shot

This was a publicity still made for the release of Magnum Force. I bought it as an 8 x 10" print in the 1970s and it remans one of my favorites.
Apologies if somebody has already posted it earlier on this discussion.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread Dirty Harry Collectors thread  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The 'Killer with a Badge' & his prey

The shootout resulting from the stake-out is one of my favorite scenes from all the Dirty Harry series. This was cropped from another publicity still for Magnum force.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've always seen "Callahan" spelled with 2 "l's."
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Liked 52 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bando View Post

The shootout resulting from the stake-out is one of my favorite scenes from all the Dirty Harry series. This was cropped from another publicity still for Magnum force.
I remember this scene! It's where the police officer looks at the dead felon and says "I've never shot a man before." Harry gives him a scowl and tells him to help the lady!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Liked 52 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFrameFred View Post
Smith & Wesson ( and those of us that love the 29) owe Clint Eastwood a debt of thanks. Elmer may have been the daddy of it but Clint made EVERYBODY want one.

Just think - one of the first choices to play Harry Callahan was Frank Sinatra. I liked Frank for a lot of reasons, but it would have been a mediocre and short-lived series if fate had not taken it to Clint. One story goes that Frank had injured his wrist and didn't think he wanted to hold the big gun and fire it one handed, even with movie blanks. Don't know if it's true, but it's hard to imagine anyone else but Eastwood in that role now. Clint made Harry an icon.
I agree... Frank wouldn't have been as good as Clint!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Dirty Harry Collectors thread  
Liked 239 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bando View Post

Checkout the sign to the left of Clint. "Captain WISHBONE". Maybe homage to Paul Brinegar who played Wishbone on Rawhide and a barkeep in High Plains Drifter.

Also take note that Clint's holster doesn't appear to have the lacing from the shoulder yoke to the holster.

Finally, what is in Clint's front pants pocket? A pack of smokes?

Last edited by Arisin Wind; 01-05-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Liked 8,294 Times in 2,907 Posts

All I have is this Dash 3...but only a true blue Smith guy would know the difference.

BTW...Im surprised with all this dirty harry trivia nobody mentioned his sunglasses ?

They are called Ray Ban Balorama's and the good news for collectors is that they are being made again along with most of the cool old Ray Ban styles .

Also found this cool website for all things related to Clint Eastwood.
http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=8.0

Last edited by Engine49guy; 01-06-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Liked 168 Times in 50 Posts

According to Wikipedia, there were no 44 mag blanks available in 1971, so a model 25-2 45 acp was used for all firing scenes, because blanks were available for that caliber.
A model 29 was used for the photography only, and it's owned by Director Don Siegel.

Last paragraph, under sub title Influence, near the bottom of the page.

Dirty Harry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Liked 354 Times in 138 Posts
Smile

MakeMyNight:
Remember, Wikipedia information is posted by users, and unfortunately, they are sometimes very badly mistaken. It has been gone of on this forum as well as many others that the guns used were M29-2 6.5" blued revolvers. There were no 8 3/8" barreled ones, no M25-5 (which DIDN'T EXIST when DH came out), no M25-2, etc. etc. etc. 45 ACP blanks are just as difficult, or easy, to make up as are 44 Magnum blanks, 38 Special blanks, 9mm blanks, 357 Magnum blanks, etc. etc....well you get the point.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Liked 168 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
MakeMyNight:
Remember, Wikipedia information is posted by users, and unfortunately, they are sometimes very badly mistaken. It has been gone of on this forum as well as many others that the guns used were M29-2 6.5" blued revolvers. There were no 8 3/8" barreled ones, no M25-5 (which DIDN'T EXIST when DH came out), no M25-2, etc. etc. etc. 45 ACP blanks are just as difficult, or easy, to make up as are 44 Magnum blanks, 38 Special blanks, 9mm blanks, 357 Magnum blanks, etc. etc....well you get the point.
I just read a couple other items online, and one claims that a model 57 was used, as no model 29's were being produced at the time. Oy Vey!

I also found the site linked below, and the explanation therein seems to make the most sense.
Btw: It closely corroborates what You have stated. See link below:

Dirty Harry - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database
Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Liked 3,148 Times in 899 Posts

Great threat! More photo's.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Absent Comrade
Liked 13,352 Times in 5,549 Posts

You guys are killing me i didn't think that movie still had such a following, an "Impact" or made such a lasting impression. I never held my 44mag and say did i fire 5 or 6 ect, never, never, well maybe punk....kidding.

I thought i was alone in wanting two 29's with the 6 1/2" and the 8 3/8" barrels in dirty harry blue. I just got my first two S&W's in 41mag and i'm not done with the 41's yet. I waited 35+ years to get my S&W M57 in 41mag. I also want the m27 in 357 too besides the 29's. Heck i'm just getting started with the s&w's. Dear S&W keep the presses rolling on all of them and make my day..... I'll be collecting S&W till the day i die. Bill

BTW; Didn't Clint use a M57 in 41mag in the movie sometimes?

Godbless our troops and bring them home safe soon. Thak God we live in a free country were we can enjoy this hobby for we are truely free. Plus we have people willing to put there lives on the line so we will still be free for the future generations and many years ahead too. Godbless them. If i wasn't so old and crippled i'd be there with them.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Liked 4,372 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post

BTW; Didn't Clint use a M57 in 41mag in the movie sometimes?
GAAAHHHHH!

The mis-information never ends ! Bill, check out some of the listed links in the thread and the posts that have explained that. There are so many WRONG stories made up by 'experts' and gun shop commandos that don't know their butt from their elbow !

They were model 29 44's, They were model 29 44's,They were model 29 44's,They were model 29 44's, . . .

I once heard an old preacher say, "lies and mis-information can make it half way around the world before the truth can get it's shoes on . . . "

Last edited by NFrameFred; 02-21-2011 at 07:05 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Liked 721 Times in 369 Posts

Sorry, 500 Magnum Nut, Harry carried Dade speedloaders?
Steve
Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 AM

Steve
Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Did the movie makers use the same M29 thoroughout all the Dirty Harry movies?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, Dade speedloaders, not HK's. Dade is out of business but a fellow is making up some from left over parts with new bodies, but the bodies don't match up with the originals. I finially found a couple originals at the big Tulsa gunshow last year, now to find the third one, Harry always carried three.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Liked 144 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo Jim View Post
Great threat! More photo's.
OK, let's see more clothes! (I know I'm stupid )

This thing makes me jump 10 times a day, Harry just follows me around the house here......

Last edited by 500 Magnum Nut; 03-13-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: redone the ID & Badge photo
Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Liked 4,372 Times in 1,008 Posts

OOOOOKAYYYYY . . . . this just crossed into weird . . . .
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Steve
S.B. are you sure? Now I need to watch the movies again as I'm 2ND guessing myself.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
OOOOOKAYYYYY . . . . this just crossed into weird . . . .
Not weird...... FUN!

It started out that I was looking for a 70's jacket, then the exact jacket in the last scene of the first movie, then the tie etc I actually had a ball researching the clothes.
The mannequin was found real cheap so I dressed it up. I think it looks like him to a point. The wife wants me to leave it in the family room to gag the visiters.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 Magnum Nut View Post
S.B. are you sure? Now I need to watch the movies again as I'm 2ND guessing myself.

Positive! This is what made me buy the two I still own and yes he always carried three. HKSs weren't even thought of back then or, perhaps used in later DH movies?
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; 04-10-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Positive! This is what made me buy the two I still own and yes he always carried three. HKSs weren't even thought of back then.
Steve
I got to redo some pictures.....

Steve, Your correct. I'm hunting the internet for a few Dade Speedloaders. I watched the 2ND movie and you can clearly see they aren't HKS loaders....

Darn, I'm off to the races again.

Last edited by 500 Magnum Nut; 03-12-2011 at 02:44 AM. Reason: I learned something
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
GAAAHHHHH!

The mis-information never ends ! Bill, check out some of the listed links in the thread and the posts that have explained that. There are so many WRONG stories made up by 'experts' and gun shop commandos that don't know their butt from their elbow !

They were model 29 44's, They were model 29 44's,They were model 29 44's,They were model 29 44's, . . .

I once heard an old preacher say, "lies and mis-information can make it half way around the world before the truth can get it's shoes on . . . "
Correct, one of the gun's is on display at the NRA museum, given to John Milius, the writer.
Model 29's have been around since the mid-50's, although the first
ones weren't labeled as such, but still the same gun.

Again, the gun(s) was a S&W .44 mag.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM

I always thought Milus directed the Dirty Harry movies?
Steve
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Liked 4,916 Times in 2,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrs737 View Post
Yep, Dade speedloaders, not HK's. Dade is out of business but a fellow is making up some from left over parts with new bodies, but the bodies don't match up with the originals. I finially found a couple originals at the big Tulsa gunshow last year, now to find the third one, Harry always carried three.
There's a guy on an auction site (rhymes with fleabay) that has new old stock originals. He's selling singles or in threes.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujax01 View Post
There's a guy on an auction site (rhymes with fleabay) that has new old stock originals. He's selling singles or in threes.
His are cast from original molds. I have no dog in this fight but, have bought several from him. 'The one's in picture are way before he came along, though. Dade was only making them in .44when I bought them.
Steve
Old 03-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

The late, great Don Siegel directed the original "Dirty Harry". Milius was one of the writers. Clint Eastwood directed the final two sequels. I am not sure who directed the second and third sequels. Safariland speedloaders were available back then and were very popular.

Last edited by Az. revolver fan; 03-13-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az. revolver fan View Post
Safariland speedloaders were available back then and were very popular.
Interesting, thanks for the tip. They look like Dades also.

I just located several Dade speed loaders and they will be on the way.....

Last edited by 500 Magnum Nut; 03-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:54 PM

I have a question for the old time "Dirty Harry" and S/W .44 mag fans. Does anyone know if "Mr. .44 mag", Elmer Keith had anything to do with the original Dirty Harry movie? I distinctly remember his column in "Guns and Ammo" suddenly referring to "his good friend, Clint Eastwood" and pitching Lawman shoulder holsters right on cue with the release of the original flick in the theatres. Perhaps a consultant or advisor? Just curious.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold View Post
No holster yet, but here's a 6.5" 29-2 with movie accoutrements...

Roe
This is the only photo in this thread with the correct ammunition for the 1970 time period. Semi-Jacketed Soft Point. It was the original Remington-Peters Semi-Jacketed Soft Point load that Elmer Keith made his famous "two hits out of 4 shots on a wounded mule deer at 600 yds." with a 6 1/2" pre-model 29 S&W .44 mag at Paul Kriley's Ranch near Clear Creek in Idaho (the buck had been wounded by Kriley with a .300 mag rifle and Elmer finished it). Also, an amusing fact that I personally recall about this time period. After the original Dirty Harry movie debut, the price on model 29's went through the roof. Stories of Gun dealers charging double and even triple suggested retail went on for several years (and they were selling quickly, faster than the factory could keep up). When the mania resided, the gun stores were inundated with used model 29's that had only been fired 5 or 6 times and put away as fans found out that the way Harry Callahan made it look in the movie with .44 specials and blanks was way different than actually popping off a cylinder full of full-house .44 magnum rounds with no instruction on how to deal with the recoil. (You can bet most tried to "fight" it). The people who decided they actually enjoyed shooting this fine, accurate weapon were trading in for or just buying the newer 629 models and the more expensive AMT Automag in .44 automag.

Last edited by Az. revolver fan; 03-13-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Ah, the cartridges in the first picture are hornady bullets that I shoot on and off depending were I'm at in the reloading bench.
I do have the exact bullet currently and proper speedloaders coming so I will do it right this time.

I'm going to load up 6 (without powder & primers) and place them in Harrys hand, as if he's going into his jacket with a speed loader.

The gun in the holster is a wood prop gun I made with real factory grips. I didn't want to leave a real gun in there, as someone could smash out a window and steal the real gun.

In the 2ND movie "Magnum Force", during the shooting range scene, the bad dudes asked Harry what load in his gun? He responded a light special which was a blooper, I believe he was supposed to say a light magnum, the cut stayed in the movie nevertheless.

I don't know if Elmer was involved in the original movie or not, that would be neat if he was.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM

Sorry 500 magnum nut for all this amateur cretiquing.
Steve
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry 500 magnum nut for all this amateur cretiquing.
Steve
For what? I enjoy the hobby and collect Harry stuff. If you have knowledge I want to get it right too!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Good attitude, bro.
Steve
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 PM

.500 mag, I know who directed the original film and the final two films but who directed Magnum Force and The Enforcer?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
.500 mag, I know who directed the original film and the final two films but who directed Magnum Force and The Enforcer?
Magnum Force was directed by Ted Post (screen play/story by John Milius)

The Enforcer was directed by James Fargo
Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire thread and looking at the pictures. Thanks all!

While I have only the 29-3, which is a great gun and shoots great, I am always on the lookout for a more correct DH gun. So, Is the 29-2 the closest I will be able to get without spending $10,000?

Second question. I have also always wanted a DH shoulder holster. I am a big guy at 6'2" and 250 lbs. Every shoulder holster I have ever tried on feels like it was made for a child, and puts the gun way up under my armpit. Do the DH holsters pictured adjust enough for a guy my size?

Thanks.

WG840
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Fun thread! Thank you all.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Liked 809 Times in 114 Posts

Here is a little artistic contribution to DH collection. I was playing around with the photo shop tonight and came up with this. I know the gun isn't PC but I thought it looked cool enough. Bob

Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,156 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Fun thread! Thank you all.
What he said. I hope this thread stays up a long time.

And... you know when your eat-up with 44 mags when you have to buy 'em three at a time!

(the Dirty Harry one's in the middle.)

GF
Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts

To add a little perspective, I have to post a picture of my Model 29 "no dash", purchased long before a movie made them cool. I've owned it for all of its 50 years.

As a college sophomore in mid-December 1960, I saw and handled my first then-rare Model 29, a 4"er owned by big time Luger collector Robert Bretherton in Toledo, Ohio. I had to have one, as in right now, but they were not in gun stores.

Our stocking dealer was Gross Photo Mart, long out of business like Toledo in general. Augie ordered my 6.5" blued 29 no dash, noting on the receipt "will wire factory today", which is how it was done then.

It came a couple weeks later, in time for Christmas. Full retail price was $140. I bought a Lyman 310 reloading set and a $19 Pacific single stage press at the same time, according to my receipt.

A few days later, testing it at the New York Central Sportsmen's Club range with a couple friends, I learned that you never ever shoot one of these without ear protection. After less than 10 rounds, I was deaf in one ear and could hardly hear in the other. It really slowed me down in Russian language class. That lasted about a week.

I have a lot of guns and a bunch of Smiths, but this one is special. It will be with me as long as I am around. And the idea of a 4" 29 has tickled my fancy, even if I may have to pay more than $140 this time.

One reason I like the gun and cartridge so much is that it seems I can load it up or down, and with different bullet weights, and it shoots to about the same point of impact. I don't have to adjust the sights. And I wasn't expecting it to be such a tack driver. How I love this thing. I still remember how impressive it was to explode my first concrete block at 50 feet. No need for any more power than this, no matter what the S&W marketeers and gun writers suggest we may need.

Back then, the wood box came from Smith in this pasteboard outer box, which I still have, and which was numbered to the gun. Somebody bobbled one digit and corrected it. I'm betting very few of you have one of these, or even know about them. But alas, I didn't save the brown paper around the cardboard box.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Now THAT is a keeper PhilOhio! It is great that you kept that outer wrapper too! I would gladly pay you three times what you paid for it!

Once again, what would be the most correct DH model? 6.5" bbl correct? Was there a 29-1?

WG840
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelgunner840 View Post
Was there a 29-1?

WG840
Sure there was, but they were made in 60-61. The Dirty Harry films were in the 70s. So the only correct answer is a model 29-2 (1961-1979) with a 6 1/2" barrel. (That's his carry piece with a Lawman holster).

Last edited by 500 Magnum Nut; 03-20-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 Magnum Nut View Post
The Dirty Harry films were in the 70s. So the only correct answer is a model 29-2 (1961-1979) with a 6 1/2" barrel. (That's his carry piece with a Lawman holster).
Lawman Leather didn't exist until 1975. The holster used in the films is probably a Bucheimer-Clark holster. Lawman Leather bought them in the mid 70's.

The holster sold by Lawman Leather is a close copy of the one used in the movie. The movie holster did not have the wide "cobra head" belt strap but the narrow strap. The yoke was stitched to the holster instead of fastened with leather ties and it has a tension screw which the Lawman Leather holsters lack.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
Lawman Leather didn't exist until 1975. The holster used in the films is probably a Bucheimer-Clark holster. Lawman Leather bought them in the mid 70's.

The holster sold by Lawman Leather is a close copy of the one used in the movie. The movie holster did not have the wide "cobra head" belt strap but the narrow strap. The yoke was stitched to the holster instead of fastened with leather ties and it has a tension screw which the Lawman Leather holsters lack.

Nope, Cathey Leather made the original. Owned one and talked to the owner several times. He had military contracts before in business.
Steve
Steve
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,893 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilOhio View Post
To add a little perspective, I have to post a picture of my Model 29 "no dash", purchased long before a movie made them cool. I've owned it for all of its 50 years.

As a college sophomore in mid-December 1960, I saw and handled my first then-rare Model 29, a 4"er owned by big time Luger collector Robert Bretherton in Toledo, Ohio. I had to have one, as in right now, but they were not in gun stores.

Our stocking dealer was Gross Photo Mart, long out of business like Toledo in general. Augie ordered my 6.5" blued 29 no dash, noting on the receipt "will wire factory today", which is how it was done then.

It came a couple weeks later, in time for Christmas. Full retail price was $140. I bought a Lyman 310 reloading set and a $19 Pacific single stage press at the same time, according to my receipt.

A few days later, testing it at the New York Central Sportsmen's Club range with a couple friends, I learned that you never ever shoot one of these without ear protection. After less than 10 rounds, I was deaf in one ear and could hardly hear in the other. It really slowed me down in Russian language class. That lasted about a week.

I have a lot of guns and a bunch of Smiths, but this one is special. It will be with me as long as I am around. And the idea of a 4" 29 has tickled my fancy, even if I may have to pay more than $140 this time.

One reason I like the gun and cartridge so much is that it seems I can load it up or down, and with different bullet weights, and it shoots to about the same point of impact. I don't have to adjust the sights. And I wasn't expecting it to be such a tack driver. How I love this thing. I still remember how impressive it was to explode my first concrete block at 50 feet. No need for any more power than this, no matter what the S&W marketeers and gun writers suggest we may need.

Back then, the wood box came from Smith in this pasteboard outer box, which I still have, and which was numbered to the gun. Somebody bobbled one digit and corrected it. I'm betting very few of you have one of these, or even know about them. But alas, I didn't save the brown paper around the cardboard box.

PhilOhio, nice!
Regards
Chuck
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
Jerry Ardolino claims this on his website.

Part of the read.....

Many people do not realize that of the group of Dirty Harry Holsters that were made for the Prop House that supplied the Production Company, a couple were for a 5" barrelled S&W "N" Frame (with an old-style tension screw that had long been eliminated due to functional problems); the holster used in the film was actually one of those 5" models, not the proper 6.5" models that were supplied. This can be seen in certain shots in the first film where the face of the cylinder sits midway in the cylinder cut-out. I acquired exclusive rights to the 6 ½” Model 29, proper Holster— with the tighter spring .........

www.LawmanLeatherGoods.com

Last edited by 500 Magnum Nut; 03-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Nope, Cathey Leather made the original. Owned one and talked to the owner several times. He had military contracts before in business.
Steve
Steve
That would make sense. I have a couple of Cathey holsters in the Dirty Harry style and they match the Bucheimer Clark holsters perfectly. The Cathey's have NSN's on them.

Tags
327, 357 magnum, 380, 41mag, 44 magnum, 629, cartridge, colt, commemorative, engraved, hornady, leather, m29, military, model 25, model 27, model 29, model 39, model 57, nra, russian, safariland, sig arms, tulsa