Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
US Veteran
Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap?  
Liked 436 Times in 122 Posts
Default Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap?

I've got several 1960's & 1970's holsters that I've purchased recently from right here off the forum...in the past I have always used saddle soap on old leather with good success, but I'm curious if there is something better out there...

Some of my newly purchased "old" holsters are well worn, another is litterally like brand new (but at least 45 years old)...plus, I have an old WWII 1911 holster I want to preserve and do not want to put anything on it that may do more harm than good...

I've been using nylon & kydex holsters (along w/ a couple Galco leather ones) over the past 15 years or more and haven't kept up with any new trends in leather care...excuse my ignorance here, I just thought you guys may have some wisdom to share...

Thanks, guys.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap?  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd start with saddle soap, it will do no harm and see how that works for you. One of the elements is neetsfoot oil. To soften, neetsfoot oil and mink oil will soften, I'm not sure I'd do that. Holsters that old are probably a little dried out especially if you live in a dry climate. On the holsters I make I put a finish on them to stiffen them, but that's new leather. To maintain my holsters I use kiwi shoe polish and that's worked for me for about 30 years and I've got holsters that are that old and still functional. I hope this helps and someone else will weigh in with some new magic, you could always visit your local Tandy store and see what the latest and greatest leather dope is, some even have people familar with gun leather. Good luck, CH
Old 05-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Liked 75 Times in 50 Posts

I use mink oil on my boots with good results. I don't know about neetsfoot oil, but mink oil will darken leather by several shades. Keep this in mind if you decide to use it on your holsters.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Liked 237 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Leather rejuvenator

For many years in the Police Equipment business we had tried an inumerable number of leather products.

The best we everfound was and is "Rejuenator Oil" available from Leatherique.com

Also great for leather upholstery in cars, furniture etc.

Mention that Bob Frielich sent you, can't hurt, might help.

They are great folks to deal with.

NO CONNECTION WITH THEM OTHER THAN A HAPPY CUSTOMER SINCE THE 1960'S.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
US Veteran

Great info fellas! Thanks a bunch. (I think others may get something from this too!)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
US Veteran
Liked 3,698 Times in 1,466 Posts

Saddle soap them if dirty. Let dry. Start rubbing in Pecard's leather dressing until satisfied. Allow Pecard's to soak in for a few hours between applications.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Liked 12,383 Times in 2,810 Posts

Pecard's is excellent. I've also had good results from Blackrock Leather 'N' Rich.
f.t.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Liked 1,437 Times in 362 Posts

I'm a big fan of neatsfoot. I use neatsfoot oil on my milsurp slings and neatsfoot compound on holsters. The pure oil will make a holster a bit too soft and bendable, but the compound softens them just right so there is still a bit of stiffness present.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:09 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap?  
Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Neatsfoot and mink oil will soften and loosen holsters. I've used Pecard's and shoe polish. Use Kiwi neutral color unless the holster is brown or black.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap? Need to clean & soften old holsters - Saddle Soap?  
Liked 828 Times in 274 Posts

A while back I posted a picture of my Grandfather's revolver and holster from the 1920's, and Lee Jarrett suggested that I try a product called Blackrock Leather 'N' Rich. Lee said it would work wonders on the holster, and he was right. You can find it on eBay for less than $10.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Liked 289 Times in 115 Posts
Talking

Howdy MP, If you have a Tandy Leather nearby,they carry
a "Dr. Jackson's Leather Rejuvenator". I''ve used it for years.
I've got a set of saddlebags that was treated 3 years ago, that
are still soft and pliable.It does darken the leather slightly though.

Chipmunk6
Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM
US Veteran

thanks for all the great suggestions and reports on what works well...I knew you guys wouldn't let me down...

thanks a bunch!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Honestly, try some unscented hand lotion like Jergens .... after all, we're just moist leather ....
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFT II View Post
Saddle soap them if dirty. Let dry. Start rubbing in Pecard's leather dressing until satisfied. Allow Pecard's to soak in for a few hours between applications.
Good advice. If in need of conditioning after the saddle soap, use a bit of Lexol Leather Conditioner before the Pecard. Available at Tandy's.

Bob
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Liked 6,813 Times in 2,543 Posts

As a newby holster maker, I've found lots of information over at the CAS City Forum's Leather Shop.

I've used neatsfoot (BTW "neat" is an old English term for a cow- originally made from hooves) in the past. Used olive oil on a holster recently and it worked well (lots of western holster makers use it).

For preservation I just did a holster with Lexol and one with Skidmore's (People at CAS City seem evenly split on preference)=I prefer the Skidmore's

good luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 AM

Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

A friend of mine who is a master saddle maker, suggests using olive oil to soften leather. He is in his 80's and currently retired. He made very few saddles and his saddles at auction go for $$$$$$$$$.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Liked 483 Times in 201 Posts

I've always used Bentley's Liquid Glycerine to clean saddles and Lexol Neatfoot's Formula to condition. I use both sparingly on cinch leather to avoid stretching.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Question

Is the holster brittle or just stiff? I am hesitant to offer any suggestion about softening a stiff holster. Old and brittle, I understand but one can find plenty of stories about bad results from holsters that were made soft and a resultant negligent discharge. Most current makers would only recommend a wax such as Kiwi neutral or one of uber waxes used by museums for their display pieces.

Tags
1911, galco, kydex, leather, wwii