Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 08-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Default Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks

Below is the backside of the right stock panel of a set of J Frame Diamond stocks. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the numbers stamped on stock panel stand for? Usually you see the serial number of the gun they left the factory with. Just curious what the stamping on these grips mean. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.JPG (7.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:48 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks  
Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Your picture is pretty low-resolution, so I can't actually read the numbers definitely, but as far as I can make out, those are numbers that are stamped just where serials were stamped, and they are the correct size too. What makes you think they are anything different? If they don't match the gun, you have non-matching stocks, I would suspect.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Sorry for the low res pic. The numbers stamped are 104. Then above the numbers is an upside down letter J (the letter J makes sense since they are J frame grips). However, the numbers do not match any part of the model 60's serial number, so I was not sure if it was part of the serial number for the gun the stocks were originally on or what the number is. Thanks in advance for any additional input.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM
SWCA Member
Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks Help Interpreting Numbers Stamped on J Frame Diamond Stocks  
Liked 5,731 Times in 3,205 Posts

Hello mtice, I know you are not playing here, but man that is a poor pic.
What are you coming up with on the Sn? Any way to make it bigger?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 9,875 Times in 1,986 Posts

I'm seeing a 4 digit serial number, and guessing these are early diamond center grips. They stamped them randomly back in the early 50's, then went to straight across the bottom inside edge in the last 60's, 70's.

Charlie
Old 08-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Here is the same pic blown up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.JPG (2.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 03:33 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtice View Post
Here is the same pic blown up
No better than the 1st photo.

Take the highest resolution photo you cell phone will allow and email it to yourself.My phone is about 4000x3000 pixels.

Download it to your pc's desktop and right click on the file>edit>pixels>1200x800>save and exit.

Upload the 1200x800 file to attach to your post.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtice View Post
Sorry for the low res pic. The numbers stamped are 104. Then above the numbers is an upside down letter J (the letter J makes sense since they are J frame grips). However, the numbers do not match any part of the model 60's serial number,....
Non-matching grip panels are a fairly common occurrence on guns that are older and have gone through more than one owner.

The J as the frame desgination stamped on the stocks was not a thing, although there should be a J104 serial from 1969. But you talk about diamond stocks, and 1969 should be too late for those.

So what looks to you like an upside-down J is likely just a sloppy or partially stamped digit.