Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W  
Liked 85 Times in 18 Posts
Default Probable sad end for a nice S&W

Today we arrested a couple of misunderstood youths on some probation violations. Turns into alot more...stolen goods out the ying-yang..drugs etc.

Sad part is...one of them was armed with a really really nice 6" 28-2. I'd say it was about 90-95% with what appeared to be correct grips.

Unless we can identify it as stolen and return it to it's owner...once the case is disposed of in court it's headed to the melting pot.

Makes me sick...I've begged to be allowed to buy some of our evidence room guns....no deal.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W  
Liked 838 Times in 262 Posts

I have often daydreamed and wondered how many S&Ws there are out there, right now, in police evidence...never to be freed. How many RMs, or triple locks, K32s, etc, guns anyone here would about give a body part to have? And, there they sit, rusting away, because policy prevents the sale of these guns.
How many rarities have they destroyed?
Its interesting that LE is able to auction off drug cars, houses, etc. while so many agencies stop at doing the same thing with the guns they seize. Granted most of them are probably junk, or have had the SNs ground off, etc., and can't be sold. But like you point out, there are guns that they could easily sell off to law abiding people and they'd make good money on them.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 15,556 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpd2515 View Post
Today we arrested a couple of misunderstood youths on some probation violations. Turns into alot more...stolen goods out the ying-yang..drugs etc.

Sad part is...one of them was armed with a really really nice 6" 28-2. I'd say it was about 90-95% with what appeared to be correct grips.

Unless we can identify it as stolen and return it to it's owner...once the case is disposed of in court it's headed to the melting pot.

Makes me sick...I've begged to be allowed to buy some of our evidence room guns....no deal.
Now that's one gun that I would not have expected to find on a ****....was he hard up for a piece or what?

Not that I am being critical, I would carry one.....but why him?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Liked 85 Times in 18 Posts

This "gentleman" was not the most gifted in the brain cell area. They had an interesting mix...the 28...a Beretta 22Short...and some kinda *** 22LR revolver made in Germany. Arminitus or something like that.

Plus..in the 28..he almost had 6 of the same brand ammo loaded. Two CCI Blazer HPs...and 4 Federal HPs...all of unknown grain.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Liked 831 Times in 390 Posts

You need to push for legislation to REQUIRE forfeited guns to be sold to FFL's.

This is just throwing away good money.

Does your government destroy all the other unclaimed property it seizes?
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned
Liked 388 Times in 273 Posts

Some law enforcement agencies cant sell their old service weapons due to stupid laws or wont due to equally stupid internal policies.

I cringe every time I see those "neighborhood gun buyback" programs, they give a $50 or so dollar gift certificate to people who turn in sometimes nice guns, sometimes complete junk. Here in Florida, they actually dump them into the ocean
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Liked 116 Times in 53 Posts

I always thought of standing across the street from those buyback events and offering $60... can't be illegal, still f2f transactions...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,178 Times in 933 Posts

More and more states are passing laws that REQUIRE that such guns be sold to legal purchasers. That's a win-win.
SWCA #2243 SWHF #292
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Obvious View Post
I always thought of standing across the street from those buyback events and offering $60... can't be illegal, still f2f transactions...
LoL, great idea. You have to wade through the hi-points and kel-tek's though, and they usually dont have those things in the best parts of town.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The PD's could make so much money by selling unclaimed firearms to dealers. In these times of stretching and cutting budgets thinner and thinner, that seems like a no brainer to me. There's a bill up for consideration in GA to allow the PD's to do just that. If they can't find the rightful owners and the case is closed, they can sell the guns. Hopefully that'll put some nice ones back on the market, though having seen first hand how at least one county PD treats weapons they are holding, they'll probably cost themselves some money. I had a new HK USP a few years ago that was in the glovebox when we were in a serious wreck. I informed the officer that responded that it was in the car as we were about to be taken to the hospital, and I knew the car was headed for the junkyard. When I went to pick it up a couple of days later they handed me an H&K with a severely scratched slide and I had to check the serial number to be sure it was mine. It was also clean when the officer took it and when I got it back it had been fired. Of course, my complaints fell on deaf ears and I ended up selling it at a considerable loss because of the damage they caused. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant against the police, but it still burns my butt every time I think about it. That's just irresponsible behavior.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Probable sad end for a nice S&W  
Liked 31 Times in 9 Posts

People do stupid things with guns: ...they Fitz the trigger guards...

What is wrong with polishing a trigger guard? Seriously, I just polished my nickel 27, including the trigger guard.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,455 Times in 401 Posts

As an Air Force criminal investigator while at Osan AB, ROK, many moons ago I had to receive as evidence a 6" Artillary Luger that was seized by joint customs folks. I had to witness Civil Engineer folks cut it into three pieces. I have not cried many times as an adult but I came close that day. Keep shootin'
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 PM
US Veteran
Liked 23,020 Times in 5,791 Posts

My first department had a very liberal policy on confiscated weapons. After the case was adjudicated, any firearms were appraised, then the arresting officer had the option of buying the weapon at ½ the appraised value. If for some reason the arresting officer did not wish to purchase the weapon it was held and twice a year these were sold at a private L/E only auction. The only exception to this was a weapon used in a capital case, generally a murder I case.

In 1977/78 I picked up an as new Colt python 2 1/2”, that I had taken off an herbal distributor two years earlier, for the princely sum of $100.00, sold it the next day for $150.00 and was tickled to death with the deal.

Last edited by old bear; 03-29-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Sp.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Many years ago the Fort Lauderdale Police Department disposed of old evidence weapons in an equally terrible way. They were taken by boat out to the deep waters of the Gulfstream, (1000s of feet deep), and dumped overboard. I know of a WW2 Luger and an engraved Winslow rifle that was in one batch that was sent to the depths! What a tragedy! I have been gone from FLPD for over 20 years, so I don't know if they are still doing this. Keep safe cgpd2515! Skip48
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip48 View Post
Many years ago the Fort Lauderdale Police Department disposed of old evidence weapons in an equally terrible way. They were taken by boat out to the deep waters of the Gulfstream, (1000s of feet deep), and dumped overboard. I know of a WW2 Luger and an engraved Winslow rifle that was in one batch that was sent to the depths! What a tragedy! I have been gone from FLPD for over 20 years, so I don't know if they are still doing this. Keep safe cgpd2515! Skip48
They still do that over here on the West coast...
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

The disposition of guns has always been a sensitive issue with law enforcement agencies... The problem is not that the guns be returned to circulation but how they could be used if returned.

Those guns that were used in nationally publicized murders and notorious armed robberies could be publicized as such and their existence be extremely offensive to the victims families.

I certainly don't agree with the idea guns used or acquired in much lesser crimes (burglaries, thefts, drugs, etc.) not be offered for sale to law abiding citizens. A tragic loss to the collecting people who would appreciate them for what the are....not what unsavory people they may have been unfortunately involved with...

JMHO
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 AM
US Veteran
Liked 680 Times in 220 Posts

Be sure and check that gun's SN. in the stolen guns from Ga. list. I had two 6" 28-2's stolen from me along with about 15 more guns.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
US Veteran
Liked 7,785 Times in 2,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr14 View Post
People do stupid things with guns: ...they Fitz the trigger guards...

What is wrong with polishing a trigger guard? Seriously, I just polished my nickel 27, including the trigger guard.
Fitz not Flitz:

A "Fitz Special":

Last edited by TAROMAN; 03-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Liked 363 Times in 144 Posts
Talking

You need to think outside the box...go to the city council, or governors office and tell them that if they sell the guns legally they can use the money for "fact finding" trips to Hawaii, or some other exotic location. They will probably have to hire more people just to over see the sales!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 183 Times in 74 Posts

How about asking ATF for a trace. It might have been stolen, not entered into NCIC, etc. You might find the owner that way or possibly make an additional case/charge.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,179 Times in 379 Posts

In KY, any seized weapons are sold to FFL's and proceeds are used to purchase bullet resistant vest for the police.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,156 Times in 1,126 Posts
Exclamation

A "Fitz Special":

PLEASE tell me that's Photoshopped !

GF
Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,270 Times in 654 Posts
Lightbulb OK, I've made up my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipster View Post
Here in Florida, they actually dump them into the ocean
I'm gonna sell enough cheap junk guns to buy some scuba gear or a one man submarine with a robotic arm. See ya in Florida dudes!!!
Peace,
gordon
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Liked 14,710 Times in 4,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipster View Post
Here in Florida, they actually dump them into the ocean
They used to have regular auctions at the Osceola Co Sheriffs dept. People would bid crazy money, never having taken advantage of the pre-auction "inspection" period. I remember dropping out of a bidding war at $150 on a 4" nickel model 57 (missing thumbpiece and cylinder would not move double action!) which eventually went for $350. This was 1989 and I would have been sitting on it for awhile at $250. I did get a Stevens 12 ga pump for $30 and an old lever action winchester SRC in .44 mag for $125 (also a 650 suzuki for $100 which I wasn't looking for) out of the 100 guns that went that day. I bet the SO brought in $20K of "found" money on the guns alone. Joe
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

We have a select few (very few) certified FFL's in WA state that can sell confiscated weapons. One lives a mile from my home and he does an outstanding job sonic cleaning and range testing every firearm he sells at the monthly gun shows. The PD's make some great money for other gear they get from BGs.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,332 Times in 616 Posts

Once seized a Browning Hi-Power Rennaissance used in an armed robbery. It was in perfect condition. We knew it had to have been stolen but we were never able to trace it to an owner. We held on to that for years and ran the serial number twice a year hoping that the owner would eventually report it stolen and it would be entered in NCIC. I don't know what ever happened to it. The knucklehead who pulled the armed robbery got way less during the robbery than what the Rennaissance was worth.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Liked 832 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpd2515 View Post

You may likely already know this, but if you run an ATF Etrace you may be able to find the last owner of record. Any private sale since then would require luck to find the last owner. But, its a start. A lot of people do not have a record of their serial numbers so when stolen it cannot be entered into NCIC, obviously.

I run about 100 Etraces per year. I've got lucky with a couple, finding they were un-entered stolen guns.

Edited to add that post #20 has the same idea.

Last edited by viceunit; 03-30-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked 11,739 Times in 3,663 Posts
Default cgpd2515

I sent you a P.M. with info and a contact.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Liked 31 Times in 9 Posts

So, it is OK to "Flitz" polish a trigger guard...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Liked 1,273 Times in 466 Posts

Holly Smokes! a 6" N-frame as a lot of gun to be stuffing into your already falling down pants.

I am sure a lot of other members want to know, how many of them were wearing hoodies?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Probable sad end for a nice S&W Probable sad end for a nice S&W  
Liked 5,053 Times in 1,639 Posts

Back when such things were done, I assisted INS in persecuting undocumented workers. The routine was simple: two INS agents would enter the front door of a restaurant or bar, flash tin and announce themselves. A half dozen local officers with belts full of flex cuffs grabbed anyone who came out the back door and sorted them out at the jail.

I grabbed one gentleman who was concealing an unloaded nickel Colt .380 with medallioned walnut grips in his boot. It was the most immaculate specimen of its kind I have ever seen. The SN wasn't in NCIC. I considered offering him $50 for a bill of sale, but decided against it. I was in the running to make detective at the time and was watching my step.

He went to back to his country of origin. The Colt went in the vault. I'm sure the gun's still there. I'd bet he isn't.

People do stupid things with guns: they let them rust, they Fitz the trigger guards, blow them up with overloads, use them in crimes and get caught with them when arrested. Like dogs, guns deserve better from people, but don't always get it.

(Modified to remove insensitive language - my apologies to any forum members who were offended by my previous characterization of undocumented immigrants.)

Last edited by Buford57; 03-30-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts

that is not correct, any FFL can bid on evidence guns in WA State, there are typically just a few FFL's that get them however, most are a trade for goods deal, some are just sold outright, some have restrictions on them they can only sell to LE/Sec/Mil

I cant think of any dealers that range test their evidence guns....they often come 200 at a time, I had over 300 once in the back of my rig

I'd be curious who this FFL is that lives in Olalla.

I have had 1000's of evidence guns come though my hands from WA agency's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
We have a select few (very few) certified FFL's in WA state that can sell confiscated weapons. One lives a mile from my home and he does an outstanding job sonic cleaning and range testing every firearm he sells at the monthly gun shows. The PD's make some great money for other gear they get from BGs.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
US Veteran
Liked 308 Times in 108 Posts

Back around 1985 I was working for the Federal Gubment in Nashville as a communications tech. One afternoon I walked out onto the loading dock of the Fed Building and watched a US Marshal take a 3lb sledge and absolutely beat to a pulp 3 Colt Pythons.
I was almost to the point of passing out, I kept asking why and could I not take them apart and at least get the internals and stocks and was quite firmly told 'No, these were seized in an insurance fraud scheme and orderd destroyed'. A sad, sad end to some fine guns, I'm sure they were turned into manhole covers shortly thereafter.
RD
Old 04-07-2012, 09:47 PM

its sad, hows this.....I get to shoot all these old original full auto's(AR10 Dutch) then all but a few(AR10, K and another) were not melted down latter the same day!

Sterile Swedish K

Sten with OEM can(ran like a top or more like a sewing machine)

Original MP40, un altered just like the day it rolled off the line

M14 with the happy switch, not so happy on auto

AR10 Dutch manufacturer think it was like #308, perfect condition....much joy

and many more, belt fed Russian stuff, 1st year of the AK47 etc etc..

saved the K and the AR10
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Liked 550 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip48 View Post
...the Fort Lauderdale Police Department disposed of old evidence weapons in an equally terrible way. They were taken by boat out to the deep waters of the Gulfstream, (1000s of feet deep), and dumped overboard. I know of a WW2 Luger and an engraved Winslow rifle that was in one batch that was sent to the depths! What a tragedy! ...! Skip48
Perhaps this will make you feel better.

My late friend Marcus Registradus, a lifelong man of firearms, told me that during his naval service, he was tasked to take a small boat out into the bay and dump a batch of M1 rifles. Marcus steered directly into the waves; soon the ensign who was along to sign off on the disposal was so sick that he didn't notice the line Marcus had attached to the bundled rifles.

When Marcus reported back to his boss, the first thing the old chief said, "Okay, I know you pulled something...and I want one of those rifles."
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 AM
US Veteran
Liked 10,597 Times in 3,228 Posts

"When Marcus reported back to his boss, the first thing the old chief said, "Okay, I know you pulled something...and I want one of those rifles."
LMAO!!!
A chief that knows his sailors......
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM

there is supposedly(and I found it once) a law on the books in WA, that if they(the agency) do not auction off the seized weapons the agency has to pay a fine(10K I heard)

I dont think its enforced at all.....as I know Seattle melts theirs down. I know of another(in Eastern WA) agency that the new guy didnt know they could sell the weapons......they destroyed 1000 before he got the word.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
US Veteran
Liked 9,261 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post

A "Fitz Special":

PLEASE tell me that's Photoshopped !

GF
Not a photoshop. It's real and was done on many guns.

Do a search for "Fitz Special".

Tags
22lr, 380, 650, beretta, browning, certificate, colt, detective, engraved, fitz, hi-power, model 57, n-frame, russian, s&w, stevens, thumbpiece, walnut, winchester