Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phx Az USA
Posts: 100
Likes: 2
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Default CROWIING AGAINI!! 2 IN ONE WEEK!!

I guess my lucky stars are in perfect alignment. Scored another of my favorites N frames. A Model 28. I got it in a straight across trade a Taurus 45 with a laser and an extra extended mag. It pays to advertise!! These young guys with grandpa's hand-me-downs just have to find a modern automatic.

I was really expecting to have to negotiate some cash on my end to close the deal but when he said ok. I had to control my joy. After we shook hands and closed the deal he said "I bought these along in case you want them". He handed me the original target grips in the picture. Took me about 30 seconds after arriving home to find a screw driver to remove the Pachmeyers.

The Mod28 has some holster wear and the grips need some TLC but with apx 320 invested in the Taurus including the extra mag and laser. I really have something to boast about.



This is the Model 28 with those ugly rubbers removed.


These are my two scores this week. The 28 is not quite as beautiful as my Model 58. Can't wait to get them both to the range.
__________________
Dave

Last edited by Qmark; 01-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Member

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Birmingham
Posts: 5,104
Likes: 2,262
Liked 2,119 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Congrats on both but did you mean M58? M57 should have adjustable sights.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 6,146
Likes: 146
Liked 332 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Nice!! I traded a Taurus PT99 even up for my nickle 19-3. I'll do those trades all day!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 AM
fyimo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,941
Likes: 2,468
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,088 Posts
Talking

Congratulations on the trade.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phx Az USA
Posts: 100
Likes: 2
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabiker View Post
Congrats on both but did you mean M58? M57 should have adjustable sights.
Error noted and corrected, THX!!
__________________
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,752
Likes: 448
Liked 1,026 Times in 535 Posts
Default

Very nice...a quick trip to Ron?s Gun Shop. Antique Gun Restoration, Gun Bluing and Custom Gun Blueing Services for some refinishing in carbonia blue, and a new pair of shoes, and you're good to go; of course, that would be my plan.

Attachment 95786

Last edited by Alnamvet68; 08-20-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM
O2Guy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 889
Likes: 407
Liked 898 Times in 332 Posts
Default

You sure are ending 2012 on a high note! I hope 2013 is as good for you.........and me, too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: winston salem nc
Posts: 1,258
Likes: 1,250
Liked 724 Times in 355 Posts
Default

I took my new to me M-58 to the range yesterday. It is now my new favorite.It came with the same grips as yours, but I took them off and installed a set of S&W target grips-they feel much better.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Waveform's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 113
Likes: 34
Liked 196 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Congratulations on a sweet deal! Had a similar experience a week ago. Traded my $380 polymer Ruger LCR for a 1967 Ruger unconverted 3-screw Blackhawk SA in mint condition. Young guy said it was his grandpa's gun and admitted he was more of a "Glock guy." No kidding.

Makes me think I should always have an inexpensive black semiauto on hand for trading with these guys when the opportunity arises.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,105
Likes: 497
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Default

If you get tired of either of them, I am sure that I can find a Taurus to trade you back! (just kidding?) I have a 28 no dash 6 incher. Love that gun! You had a good week! Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM
JP@AK's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 4,097
Likes: 1,132
Liked 1,972 Times in 905 Posts
Default

Congratulations on a very good trade. Even if you had more money into the Taurus, it would still have been a good trade. Nice shooter. I'm sure you will enjoy it. The HP has always been among my favorite revolvers to shoot. I have put thousands of rounds of mainly .38 Special loads downrange with various HPs over the last 50 years.
Have a great New Year!
JP
__________________
Jack
SWCA #2475
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: winston salem nc
Posts: 1,258
Likes: 1,250
Liked 724 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Dave, what are the grips called on the two revolvers you have pictured ? I have both of them, but don`t know their names.Thanks,Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmark View Post
I guess my lucky stars are in perfect alignment. Scored another of my favorites N frames. A Model 28. I got it in a straight across trade a Taurus 45 with a laser and an extra extended mag. It pays to advertise!! These young guys with grandpa's hand-me-downs just have to find a modern automatic.

I was really expecting to have to negotiate some cash on my end to close the deal but when he said ok. I had to control my joy. After we shook hands and closed the deal he said "I bought these along in case you want them". He handed me the original target grips in the picture. Took me about 30 seconds after arriving home to find a screw driver to remove the Pachmeyers.

The Mod28 has some holster wear and the grips need some TLC but with apx 320 invested in the Taurus including the extra mag and laser. I really have something to boast about.



This is the Model 28 with those ugly rubbers removed.



These are my two scores this week. The 28 is not quite as beautiful as my Model 58. Can't wait to get them both to the range.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phx Az USA
Posts: 100
Likes: 2
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack oconnor View Post
Dave, what are the grips called on the two revolvers you have pictured ? I have both of them, but don`t know their names.Thanks,Jack
Jack I'm honestly not sure of the correct names. The large grips I've always referred to them as "target grips". The smaller grips on the Model 58 I'm simply not sure but I think "service grips" might be correct.

Possibly one of the hard core collectors might chime in here.
__________________
Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 Thread, CROWIING AGAINI!! 2 IN ONE WEEK!! in Smith & Wesson Revolvers; I guess my lucky stars are in perfect alignment. Scored another of my favorites N frames. A Model 28. I ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going to buy a .45 next week MMA_FAN Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 6 02-15-2012 12:22 AM
Mob week David LaPell The Lounge 0 08-04-2011 10:24 PM
Next week: Fix your gun week! (or guns, as the case may be) Andy Griffith The Lounge 1 07-01-2011 08:15 AM
What a Week imjin138 The Lounge 0 08-23-2009 06:47 PM
New Toy This Week! Col Defender S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3 01-09-2009 04:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)