Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

View Poll Results: What does this middle-aged freckled humpback girl really need?
Carefully remove the freckling and try to bring out more blue, and carry her hidden 24/7 43 47.78%
Leave the blemishes on her, she doesn't really look all that bad and can still perform 22 24.44%
Refinish her and double the $275 that I paid to take her home for a while 3 3.33%
Wear her on my vest, drop her in my pants, abuse her rain and shine and say "hell" it's a BUG 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
<POLL> What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday <POLL> What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday <POLL> What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday <POLL> What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday <POLL> What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday  
Liked 134 Times in 58 Posts
Default <POLL> What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday

Yesterday I found a "no-dash" 1979-1980 Model 49 at a LGS and fell for her. I was drunk and i'd been up all night so I was kinda horny for a different kind of girl. So she came home with me but only after I paid her pimp $275 CASH OTD. Now she is thinking of staying around here for a while. I guess I could use her until her rent is paid.

Here is the left side before I try and deal with the slight surface rust.

Closer inspection shows one rust fingerprint just to the right of the Smiff&Western die strike and lots of very light pits.

The right side looks pretty good but there's a zit or twelve on the sideplate. The cylinder in all these pics show barely a turn line. Nice bluing all things considered.

Despite the freckled flat sides on the frame, the cylinder came out looking pretty great....

And the cylinder face really looks like nobody has fired this thing very much or somebody can clean a gun pretty well....

Plus the recoil shield and firing pin bushing look like they haven't seen much opening/closing or actual firing....

If you had this girl lounging around and wanted to put her to work as my BUG what would YOU do???

Last edited by nitesite; 04-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 AM
US Veteran
&lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday  
Liked 739 Times in 340 Posts

I would sell it to me for the same price plus shipping, and fuggetaboutit

Nice looking find!! I think I would clean up a little and carry a lot... but I would work on that recoil shield and turn line also.... I bet her trigger could use breaking in....
Old 04-02-2014, 11:59 AM
&lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday &lt;POLL&gt; What to do with the freckled humpback I brought home yesterday  
Liked 13,107 Times in 4,172 Posts

I would put it in my pocket and carry it.

You have one of the two best pocket handguns ever made ( the other is the M38).

You got a great deal.

Use it! The cosmetics are trivial.

Just my opinion, of course.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Liked 10,883 Times in 3,281 Posts

Duracote in 3 or 4 different colors!!!

Just kiddin'. Leave it as is. Anything else will turn it into just another Bubba'ed gun.

PS. "It", not "she".
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Liked 392 Times in 201 Posts

Clean, install factory magnas, add a Tyler T grip, buff in wax, load, and put in your pocket.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM

I'm really glad I came across this gun. "It" was just out of pawn for about an hour (store opened at eight, I was there at 9:00) at my favorite shoppe, and the owner knew I liked Smiff&Westerns. I bet that since it was a pawn they only had $100 or so in it so the offer I made was readily accepted.

I know the Hogue grips are disgusting to some of you but I can still enjoy this Bodyguard until I figure out what I'll do about the grips. I have been carrying a Ruger LCR as a BUG for a year and I've actually hated it because I cannot keep from short-stroking the trigger. I have always stayed annually qualified on a no-dash 442 as a secondary sidearm but let that qual lapse when I went to the LCR (BIG MISTAKE). I never short-stroked the S&W 442 trigger.

So tomorrow morning I am going to sell the LCR to make up for the $275 CASH OTD I had to sacrifice to get the humpback. Do you think I paid too much????? <grin>
Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
If you had this girl lounging around and wanted to put her to work as my BUG what would YOU do???
I have her older brother, after keeping an eye out for him for many years until the right circumstances coincided... Shoot it, become familiar and friendly with it, carry it! Great gun!!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Liked 775 Times in 378 Posts

Hard chrome and then you are good for life.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Liked 8,135 Times in 3,678 Posts

A good cleaning with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover, available in auto-supplies. Will remove freckles and not harm the blueing. Did this to a model 58 S&W and it came out georgeous. Put some on a rag, rub and polish untill the rag no longer shows brown rust being removed...your done.
Gary
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,518 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
Clean, install factory magnas, add a Tyler T grip, buff in wax, load, and put in your pocket.
^^This^^ No doubt about it.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Liked 1,180 Times in 491 Posts

Excellent deal!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM
US Veteran
Liked 10,597 Times in 3,228 Posts

You did better then me.
$330 + the ride & tax.
Before a little TLC for some finish problems.....

Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCM(SW) View Post
You did better then me.
$330 + the ride & tax.
Before a little TLC for some finish problems.....

You know, I actually really like that shooter you have there. I bet the internals were close to immaculate.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Liked 303 Times in 132 Posts

You have picked my favorite J frame revolver! I will serve you very well. As mine have! Carry it.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Liked 2,284 Times in 474 Posts

Clean it up and carry it! My wife loves her Model 49 no dash and I am very fond of my Model 649 no dash. Great deal by the way.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Liked 1,180 Times in 491 Posts

Figured I'd throw up a pic of my "rough around the edges" 49. I just carry it the way it is.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Liked 1,326 Times in 723 Posts

Cosmetics, goshmedics!

Just don't look at it while you're shooting it if it bothers you.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Liked 442 Times in 116 Posts

I would take a wire wheel on a grinder and go after those ugly spots. Then maybe spray some flat black paint on it to dress it up..........

No, not really.

I have had real good success with the very fine brass wool and light oil method of removing those kind of surface rust spots. Hoppes No.9 works good too. The spots on that gun are so minor, I just wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks, all, for not pounding me on the Hogue grips. And I have really enjoyed seeing those other 49s you've shown in this thread.

I do have a set of period correct S&W wood grips but I'm battling myself over using them (I find them to be uncomfortable) or trying to find a set of Uncle Mike's boot grips or maybe a set of Ahrends. Not in a big hurry on it, though.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awsome find. I've been looking for one like it,haven't found anything for less than $450
Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Liked 3,814 Times in 1,243 Posts

I'd brass wool, cold blue as needed, change the grips to PC's and a Tyler-T and move on.

Nice find!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

I've been looking for a model 49 for some time now. I think I would hurt myself getting wallet out of my pocket fast enough if I found one for $275
Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I will be more than happy to give it a new home.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Liked 1,374 Times in 574 Posts

that is still a nice gun. the finish issues seem minor to me. i would do a little research into how to repair the finish myself and mark it done.

that's a great carry gun. i love my 649. i would get it fixed up a bit, put on some magnas, get holster or two and practice with it.