Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM
hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make  
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
Default hard decision to make

OK--try to answer this question as unbiased as you can--cause we all love Smiths. BUT- I am purchasing a beautiful 4" nickel Python, but have to sacrifice a smith to help finance it. Here's what I have to consider: I will need to sell one of the following--a nickel 39-2 , a 4" nickel 25-5, a 4" nickel 27-2, a Texas Ranger Comm. set with knife and display box, a 2 1/2" nickel 19-5 and finally a 4" 28-2. These are the Smith's to consider for sale-needless to say, don't want to give any of them up, but this python purchase is a done deal, so I have to do something. What do you think?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM
hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make  
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

I forgot to mention that all of the above listed guns are in at least 95% or better condition.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 PM
hard decision to make  
Liked 525 Times in 160 Posts

If you will not be able to put food on the table well I guess you have no choice. If not just cut back for a while somewhere else. 6 months from now or sooner you will be better off and still have all your smiths.

If momma is mad she will get over it. Just get her something nice too.

Last edited by Riccur; 06-23-2014 at 08:25 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Liked 29,155 Times in 14,097 Posts

You mean which one should go for the Python cause? You'll probably get at least 6 different answers, but you are the only one who can make the decision based upon your level of fondness for each one. If it were me, I'd say the Texas Ranger set - Mainly because I don't care much for commemoratives. But I'm not the one to make such a decision.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Banned
Liked 2,255 Times in 750 Posts

If you are buying auto rim .45cal ammo for the 25-5 that might be the first choice. You could be done with that nonsense. And/or you could be done with moon clips.

And the 25's are bringing good prices right now. If it was a 3" it might pay for the python or a good percent of the total. I see a 3" on Fugate for $2,000.00
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM

Liked 341 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrolleyguy View Post
If you are buying auto rim .45cal ammo for the 25-5 that might be the first choice. You could be done with that nonsense. And/or you could be done with moon clips.

And the 25's are bringing good prices right now. If it was a 3" it might pay for the python or a good percent of the total. I see a 3" on Fugate for $2,000.00
I am confused: my 4" 25-5 shoots the Colt cartridge, not the ACP.

As for which firearm to move, either the 39-2 or the commemorative set. The comm set might bring a handsome sum from someone, and the 39 to me is nothing special, even in nickel.

But better yet is to figure out how to keep what you have and get the Python. You can always make more money...
Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Liked 1,033 Times in 258 Posts

I agree that you should find a way to wait until you can afford the Python. Not sure if you are familiar with Texas Gun Trader, but if you google it, it seems like THE place to find Pythons. They are constantly for sale there.

That said, if you forced me to pick, I would pick the 28-2. And I only say that because really nice nickeled Smiths are much harder to find. Meanwhile, a blued 28-2 seems to always been up for auction on GB - although the prices of these N-frames lately have been accelerating at sickening speeds.

Are you gonna shoot the Python or safe queen it? Pythons are gorgeous and fun shooters... but they are not heavy shooters in my opinion. They shoot loose easily with heavy use. Just sayin'.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Liked 2,804 Times in 998 Posts

I'd let the Texas Ranger set go. Commemoratives seem to be a niche market, and the prices don't seem to vary a lot. Other than that, the nickle 39, 'cause 39s are supposed to be blue.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,235 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccur View Post
If you will not be able to put food on the table well I guess you have no choice. If not just cut back for a while somewhere else. 6 months from now or sooner you will be better off and still have all your smiths.

If momma is mad she will get over it. Just get her something nice too.
Yea, I agree With the above. Don't make yourself have to post in the "Ever sell a gun you didn't want to" post. Give peanut butter or something else.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

If you get rid of the 28-2 you still have the nickle 4" 27-2. Sounds like you really like all nickle guns anyway.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 AM
Liked 29,155 Times in 14,097 Posts

"Pythons are gorgeous and fun shooters... but they are not heavy shooters in my opinion. They shoot loose easily with heavy use. Just sayin'."

Many would take serious issue with that statement. I don't have a Python, but I do have a .357 - mechanically identical. And I've fired the snot out of it over the past 22 years, and it's as good as the day I bought it. It will be the last one I sell. But in the spirit of full disclosure, probably 90% of the loads that went through it were .38 Specials.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Absent Comrade

I own two old model colt troopers (.22 lr and .38 special) I had another in .357 I carried on my job for a long time and shot a lot. Stupidly sold that one. I own two pythons. Used to have a old model officers model match that I also carried on my first guard job. All shot just fine and I never had the problems a lot of people describe. Truthfully I really believe all were slightly more accurate than my many smiths. Now that was shooting well rested off the bench in SA mode. Out of the hand DA I never was good enough shot to declare one over the other. From what I have read, they do say a colt will need attention sooner than a smith will. But they also say that is known and planned from the start. What DOES hurt a colt is it seems there just isnt many gunsmiths that understand them and know how to work on them like there was years ago. I believe the pythons accuracy comes from two areas. First, when a colt locks up right there is absolutely no play in the cylinder. Second is the bore is slightly tapered, tighter as the bullet go`s down the barrel. I will say the smiths fit my hand better than colts especialy with the smaller magna stcks that I like even though my hands are larger than average.
Having many guns and not really shooting all that much anymore the "wear and tear" isnt a factor at all with me, nor has it ever been. I could live 20 lifetimes and not wear out any of my guns. I have always been easy on them and had many to spread out what shooting I have done. Like everyone else I have seen beat to death guns but never really understood that as I still own some guns that look good that have been in my family and shot for over 60 years and one Winchester model 61 that my dad bought in the late 1930s (1937) that is still in good shape and shot a ton of times. If I was wanting a colt the last thing that would enter my mind would be that it might not last as long as a smith. A real decideing factor might be the personal preferance people might have when DA shooting is compared as far as trigger action go`s. Seems more people do like the "feel" of a smith trigger in DA more than those that claim colts are better. A lot of colt guys will argue that though.

Last edited by feralmerril; 06-24-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Liked 7,235 Times in 3,015 Posts

I'd say sell the Texas Ranger set. Might bring a good price to help
with your purchase. Your other guns are all practical shooters but the
commemorative is just to look at.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Absent Comrade

I have always been sort of bemused on the aspect of commemorative`s. They usually have higher polish and better wood (on Winchesters). There is more finishing work done to them. Yet most often the plane jane counterpart costs more if both have been shot. I have two right now, a Texas wagon train smith 544 in 44-40 and a General George S Patton Uberti copy of his colt SAA. In the past I have owned two of the Texas Rangers sets with the knives. I didnt shoot them as I own the same plain jane models. (Not the 544 though). If I owned a Texas Ranger and didnt own another 357 I would carry and shoot it in a eye blink and be proud of the gun. One thing about commemorative`s that has me wondering though, is possibly since when made they are made with the high possibility that they will never be shot and that might give some of the workers on them less of a incentive to fit up the innards just right.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Liked 325 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
2 1/2" nickel 19-5
I'm always in the market for a snub Model 19 - PM me.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Liked 338 Times in 194 Posts

I'd put the model 39 on the bus, but that's just me. I would not be able to part with any of the other ones, especially the 357 chamberings.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM
hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make  
Liked 5,762 Times in 1,992 Posts
Talking

the Texas Commemorative would go if it was me.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,771 Times in 716 Posts

Sell me the 4" nickel 27-2.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM
hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make hard decision to make  
Liked 1,719 Times in 549 Posts

It would be an easy decision for me (but it would have to be for something other than a Python - YMMV). The 39-2 and the Commemorative have no appeal for me so they would be the ones to go.

Good luck and I hope the Python is worth what ever you are paying for it.

Dave
Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Liked 9,314 Times in 3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
It would be an easy decision for me (but it would have to be for something other than a Python - YMMV). The 39-2 and the Commemorative have no appeal for me so they would be the ones to go. Dave
I agree with this analysis on all parts, but I suspect that the 27-2 has the most value that you can get out of the listed items. The 28-2 is likely the same in terms of shooting performance and I would not dispose of it - but I would not have a firearm that is not a shooter.
FWIW, with regard to a prior response: the 25-5 is in 45 LC. The 45 ACP/AR is the 25-2. Some people dislike using the AR or moon clips, but I am not one of them.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Liked 623 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJshooter View Post
Not sure if you are familiar with Texas Gun Trader, but if you google it, it seems like THE place to find Pythons. They are constantly for sale there.
About 75% of the Pythons listed on TGT are scams. Descriptions and photos are copied from other sites, some even 4 years old. The listed prices are way under market value to attract your attention and a foolish person's money.