Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail  
Liked 79 Times in 34 Posts
Default Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail

I have noticed that on all of my pre-numbered HEs, from my 1917 (shown) through my S-prefix M&P, the forward corners of the cylinder flutes are chamfered. The most recently-manufactured revolver I have seen this on is a C-prefix transitional M&P (pre-10).

On my numbered HEs, from my 15 no-dash made in 1959 (shown) to the present, the chamfer is absent. Does anyone here know when and why this design detail was changed? (I have not found a reference to it in the SCSW.)

FWIW, Ruger revolvers had always lacked this detail. But, with the introduction of the New Vaquero, Ruger brought attention to the fact that the entire front perimeter of the cylinder was chamfered to allow the revolver to enter a holster more easily. I believe this was done for the CAS crowd.

Also, I have an Iver Johnson .32 -- not an expensive gun in its time. Its flute ends are chamfered. And, I have an older H&R 930. The entire front of its cylinder is chamfered -- just like the Ruger New Vaquero. Both of these were intended as pocket guns, not holster guns.

Perhaps this is something that was always done because it was always done. S&W may have decided not to do it starting with the numbered guns just to eliminate a machining step (save money). That's just a guess. I'd be interested to know if someone here has the facts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cylinder 1917.jpg (76.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Cylinder M15.jpg (108.2 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by dlidster; 06-26-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail  
Liked 9,328 Times in 3,495 Posts
Default Cylinder chamfer

I've noticed just the opposite, unless I'm misunderstanding you because I don't have any early revolvers. My (older) 29-2 has fairly square front cylinder edges, but the new 629-6 has a larger chamfered edge. Personally I don't like the later as much but I wanted a full-lug 5". The 396 is kind of in the middle, chamfer wise. Is this what you're referring to?

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 06-27-2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Cylinder Flute Chamfer Detail  
Liked 213 Times in 120 Posts

I think there have been discussions on this occasionally. If I remember correctly the chamfer was a carryover from black powder fouling days and was found to be unnecessary with smokeless powder. I like the look but it is gone from most guns for many years.

Bill
Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Liked 79 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
I've noticed just the opposite, unless I'm misunderstanding you because I don't have any early revolvers. My (older) 29-2 has fairly square front cylinder edges, but the new 629-6 has a larger chamfered edge. . .
Bluedot,

Recent revolvers likes yours have the same peripheral chamfer as the Ruger New Vaquero. The older type of chamfer to which I refer was used on many manufacturer's revolvers from the mid-1800s until recently. If you'll look closely at the red mark on my photos, you'll see how this chamfer on the older (pre-number) S&Ws differs.

I'm not trying to pass aesthetic judgements or determine the original purpose for this design element. I'd just like to know when the decision was made to eliminate it. As I said, it appears to have occurred when S&W went from named to numbered models (1957), but that's just my observation.