Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself  
Liked 42 Times in 7 Posts
Default Couldn't Control Myself

OK...I saw the Model 19 earlier this week and I went back and got it today. It's funny how your eyes play tricks on you when you want something so bad...
It has a blemish that I didn't see and it isn't pristine....it isn't perfect...but dang it perty.
I think now maybe I did pay a little over what it's worth...but not sure.
Here's some light photos and some dark photos to try to show you the sheen (I see what you mean about being able to capture the blueing in photos)

Last edited by Chief Brody; 07-17-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself  
Liked 295 Times in 181 Posts

Having trouble spotting the blemish, maybe that little patch on one of the pics under the cylinder release. But generally speaking, a nice-looking gun. 19s are like potato chips for me. I've got several but I'm always on the lookout for more. Enjoy yours, and don't pass up a 2 1/2" one if you can find it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Liked 4,872 Times in 1,883 Posts

Don't sweat the small stuff...she's a beauty! Enjoy shooting her.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma deuce View Post
Having trouble spotting the blemish, maybe that little patch on one of the pics under the cylinder release. But generally speaking, a nice-looking gun. 19s are like potato chips for me. I've got several but I'm always on the lookout for more. Enjoy yours, and don't pass up a 2 1/2" one if you can find it.
Yeah, that's the spot...it's exactly where your thumb-tip rests when you hold it...I imagine the oils and sweat over the years did that in that one spot. I'm told by the fella on this site that it is a 1975 model.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 PM

Can you experts tell me if it has period correct handles? What kid of hammer and trigger is it?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Liked 3,780 Times in 1,388 Posts

Hi Chief,
The stocks could be period correct although a previous owner modified the top of the left one. The grain pattern on the right one is lovely. It looks like the standard service trigger and the semi target hammer to me. The colour case hardening is very vivid on the hammer/trigger. Overall a nice package there.

Last edited by 824tsv; 07-16-2014 at 09:53 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Liked 2,433 Times in 873 Posts

Someone recessed the football cut out of the left stock to a full recess. That is a shame, although it is highly functional.

All in all though, you have a very nice model 19.

Congratulations.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Liked 29,110 Times in 14,074 Posts

With the user-modified left grip panel, it's tough to say with certainty if the stocks are period correct. All I can say is "Maybe." Is there an ink date stamp anywhere on the inside surfaces?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
With the user-modified left grip panel, it's tough to say with certainty if the stocks are period correct. All I can say is "Maybe." Is there an ink date stamp anywhere on the inside surfaces?
I will remove them and have a look
Old 07-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Liked 2,804 Times in 998 Posts

probably was a cop's gun. That big speedloader cutout makes me think that
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 PM

OK...the left grip that was modified has what looks like an "89" ink stamp. The right grip has no stampings at all.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 PM

If I wanted, where do you find a grip to replace the one that was modified? Although, my thumb fits perfectly there.
And you know what...the grain on both these grips fits perfectly together so they are a pair....original or aftermarket.

Last edited by Chief Brody; 07-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Liked 124 Times in 49 Posts

Chief YOU are so right that gun isn't good enough for such a fine person such as you. Go ahead and send it to me for safe keeping I don't believe such a fine person as yourself should have to be forced to handle such a pitiful example of a revolver. Heck I will even pay the shipping and just put it in the back of my safe and never ever shoot it!!!! Okay I lied I might shoot if you don't want to.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself Couldn't Control Myself  
Liked 5,762 Times in 1,992 Posts
Talking

Congratulations as that is in great shape and if the grips fit your hand well I'd shoot with them on it rather than replace them.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy39 View Post
Chief YOU are so right that gun isn't good enough for such a fine person such as you. Go ahead and send it to me for safe keeping I don't believe such a fine person as yourself should have to be forced to handle such a pitiful example of a revolver. Heck I will even pay the shipping and just put it in the back of my safe and never ever shoot it!!!! Okay I lied I might shoot if you don't want to.
I've idolized the Police Chiefs pistol for years in Jaws...I just wanted it to be perfect...but if it were perfect I wouldn't want to shoot it. I think it's really cool that it probably was a real Police Officer's gun....that makes it more "real" to me.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 PM

I haven't shot it yet and it is already my favorite gun...and everything I own is S&W...except for the M1 Garand H&R
Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
I've idolized the Police Chiefs pistol for years in Jaws...I just wanted it to be perfect...but if it were perfect I wouldn't want to shoot it. I think it's really cool that it probably was a real Police Officer's gun....that makes it more "real" to me.
Once you shoot it a few times you will realize just how perfect it is.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Liked 1,578 Times in 912 Posts

Any way you slice it, it's a model 19 S&W.
That says it all.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 PM

Do you guys "carry" these or do you mainly take them to the range?

Where do you guys go for holsters and speed loaders and such for these?

I currently carry an M&P 45, which is heavy, but I am not sure it is as heavy as this Model 19
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 PM

Holsters and speed loaders are abundant. Get a good holster like a DeSantis or any other quality brand, and a good belt.

Speed loaders are readily available.

Check out Midwayusa.com
Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 PM

Does anybody here still concealed carry a revolver?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Liked 388 Times in 169 Posts

I do, but not a Model 19, too heavy, pulls my pants down. I prefer one of five Model 37s.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Liked 29,236 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default It's a good looking 19

Blemish, Schlemish. It looks like a darn nice gun.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 979 Times in 184 Posts

Sometimes those practical modifications bring down the price of a gun without really having any negative effect...unless you're buying it strictly as a collectible. Your Model 19's grip was modified by someone who needed to be sure his/her speed-loader would operate properly. To me that is good. I bought an older Colt Police Positive Special awhile back. It was in good shape and I got it for a good price. I noted in the photos on the auction site that the front sight didn't look quite right. When I got the gun I discovered the half-moon front sight had been squared and finely serrated in the back. That took away some collector value, but it showed me that a previous owner was more concerned about getting a good sight picture and was serious about his/her shooting. Treasure that Model 19 and keep those grips!
S&WCA #2815
Gun Scribe
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM

My Garand had these little "holes" in the stock butt...looked to me like little termites got to it....it wasn't until later that a gentleman pointed out to me that they were in precise patterns if you looked...and that they were the result of "racking" a clip of 30.06 ammunition against the butt stock to "pack" them....something soldiers were not supposed to do but did in the heat of battle to ensure their ammo was seated before shoving it down into the Garand.
Now I cherish those...I have looked into it and I was told my Garand was likely in the Korean war...maybe in the battle of Chosin

Last edited by Chief Brody; 07-17-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Quote:
Yep, EDC is a Model 638-1 and a Model 38-0 usually pocket carry for both. If I'm traveling, or during the winter, or if I feel the need to "up-gun", then it's a 3.0 inch barreled Model 64-3 or a Model 65-3. All of these revolvers are loaded with .38 Special ammunition, and I load 125 gr. JHP +P rounds in the K-frame revolvers (standard velocity ammo in the J-frames).

Very nice Model 19, by the way. I really like that left grip modification - reminds me of the grips on the Colt Pythons from the 1970s. I have a 2.5 inch barreled Model 66-2, and a 4.0 inch barreled Model 66 is on my grail gun list. A 4.0 inch barreled K-frame, man, that's a classic wheelgun!

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,963 Times in 1,951 Posts

Quote:
I think now maybe I did pay a little over what it's worth...
Hmmmm... glad I'm not the only one that does that. Welcome to the wonderful world of S&W revolvers.
Nice 19.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Liked 795 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Yes.

Your 19 looks great to me.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM
US Veteran
Liked 23,016 Times in 5,788 Posts

Quote:
I do.............

Chief, I hate to spoil your day but, Chief Brody toted a 4" M-15, Combat masterpiece in Jaws. I prefer the M-19 if for no other reason, you can shoot a wider selection of ammo with it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Liked 7,083 Times in 2,940 Posts

The dark photos really show the grain of the right hand grip! I am in to wood! Regardless it is something I would be proud to own. Have not had a 19 yet. Enjoy it! Bob
Old 07-17-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old bear View Post
I do.............

Chief, I hate to spoil your day but, Chief Brody toted a 4" M-15, Combat masterpiece in Jaws. I prefer the M-19 if for no other reason, you can shoot a wider selection of ammo with it.
Not spoiling anything,,,I knew it was a model 15....been looking for a model 15....but I went to look at a 15 and ended up taking the 19 because it is more functional...I prefer magnum to .38 but I could shoot both. It's practically the same gun and and it's close enough most will never know the difference.

So I hope some of you collectors appreciate vintage trucks...I spent the last 3.5 year restoring a 74 Chevy Blazer to the exact specs of the one Chief Brody drove in Jaws...here it is, with my garand and model 19 I am set to be Chief Martin Brody when I feel like it:

The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Liked 3,497 Times in 1,342 Posts

I could have been afflicted by that nice nineteen myself. Glad it was you instead of me........er well maybe not!
Enjoy it Chief and you wont need poison HP`s if you run into the big fish!
Jim
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Quote:
Not spoiling anything,,,I knew it was a model 15....been looking for a model 15....but I went to look at a 15 and ended up taking the 19 because it is more functional...I prefer magnum to .38 but I could shoot both. It's practically the same gun and and it's close enough most will never know the difference.
Okay, tell the truth Chief Brody...I bet you saw a Model 15 at the LGS, you were going to buy it, but then, you heard a little voice saying: "You're going to need a bigger gun". So you bought the Model 19 cause there weren't any N-frames available. Right?

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Liked 8,318 Times in 2,919 Posts

NICE, but while I also prefer the Model 19
you still need a Model 15(-3?) with target stocks :

As well as the sturdy old 440 Mhz Motorola MT500
Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Liked 4,632 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:

So I hope some of you collectors appreciate vintage trucks...I spent the last 3.5 year restoring a 74 Chevy Blazer to the exact specs of the one Chief Brody drove in Jaws...here it is, with my garand and model 19 I am set to be Chief Martin Brody when I feel like it:

Next time I'm on the Vineyard it should be pretty easy to spot you. Classic gun and classic Blazer.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLYDE View Post
Next time I'm on the Vineyard it should be pretty easy to spot you. Classic gun and classic Blazer.
Know any Blondes named Ellen with that 1970's look????

And yes...I will own a 15-3 when I spot one....but was the one in the original Jaws a 15-2 ???

Last edited by Chief Brody; 07-18-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 PM

I can tell you the difference between an old Canon camera shutter click and an old Nikon shutter click....a Nikon shutter click is sweet.
I love the sound of the S&W 19 hammer click as you cock it....wow...what a sound.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Liked 1,134 Times in 310 Posts

Chief the only gun I will ever carry is a revolver, I carry the same model 19 at times. My gun of choice is the model 10, 4 inch and I will be carrying that tomorrow. Love the blazer by the way.

Pete
Old 07-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Liked 364 Times in 102 Posts

Nice M19.

As for "Couldn't Control Myself".
Isn't that the truth, happens all the time to all of us!

Enjoy the new blaster.

-
Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 PM

OK....so I went to range today and shot it....took 158 grain Fiochi and 200 grain ProGrade Bear Grade....

Holy mackeral!!! The 200 grain recoils hard...and I got big hands...the 158 grain is much more manageable.

I was shooting from 50 yards...I do need to adjust the sites and get a sandbag...but she shoots real nice. Here I am just gushing being able to own and fire this gun...nobody else is impressed...they like their Keltec plastic guns....I love the Model 19...It may become my main carry.

I do own a S&W M&P 45 and I whipped it out and it is bad to the bone too...no trouble with the M&P for me...it always fires like it's supposed to...easy to put 7 or 8 on a saucer sized target.

The Model 19 is just a thing of beauty to behold...shoots great...looks great...I still just stare at it....
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Liked 8,318 Times in 2,919 Posts

Model 19's rock but I would stick to 38 special for punching holes in paper and 158 grain magnum loads for occasional range use in the K Magnum frame,

Those 200 grain 357 loads are probably OK for woods carry and medium large sized critter defense in an emergency but probably
better to use them in the heavier Model 27 and 28 N frame 357's...Just my opinion.

Last edited by Engine49guy; 07-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine49guy View Post
Model 19's rock but I would stick to 38 special for punching holes in paper and 158 grain magnum loads for occasional range use in the K Magnum frame,

Those 200 grain 357 loads are probably OK for woods carry and medium large sized critter defense in an emergency but probably
better to use them in the heavier Model 27 and 28 N frame 357's...Just my opinion.
yeah...those are just too heavy...
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Liked 660 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Here I am just gushing being able to own and fire this gun...nobody else is impressed...they like their Keltec plastic guns....I love the Model 19...It may become my main carry.

The Model 19 is just a thing of beauty to behold...shoots great...looks great...I still just stare at it....
Chief,

How many people get to really appreciate a 67 Corvette? Most drive Camry's. Let em keep their Kel Tec's. Your K5 Blazer is a beaut as well! Love the early Blazers with the completely removable tops.

Your Model 19 was the Police Officer's perfect revolver:

S&W Model 19 ? The Police Officers Perfect Revolver - The Firearm Blog

The blemish on yours just makes it easier to shoot or carry it!

And yes, although I carry a semi auto some times (S&W 3913)
My main open carry gun in the CO mountains is a S&W Model 65 with a 3" barrel and I also carry a 2" Model 60 concealed. 6 for sure!

My first handgun was a 4" Model 19 given to me by my parents. Still have that revolver and one of my children or grand children will get it someday.

Last edited by JeepinSoldier; 07-28-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 AM

Great article...I am going to look for those Federal 125 grain JHP

The 158 grain feels good but I bet those 125 grain rounds have minimal recoil and pack a punch.

When you pull the hammer back on my Model 19 it only takes a whisper of pull to fire it....in a real life altercation would you pull the hammer back or squeeze the trigger full pull?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 AM

OK...so I go looking for 125 grain and I see plenty of this:

"Full power 125 grain .357s are the exact load that gave K-frames somewhat of a reputation for fragility. Use a 158 grain load as much as you want. Use the 125s with more caution. That is the load which gave birth to the L-frame. Be kind to yourself and your gun."

I understand that your carry round can be different than your range round...so what's the deal?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:

The 158 grain feels good but I bet those 125 grain rounds have minimal recoil and pack a punch.

When you pull the hammer back on my Model 19 it only takes a whisper of pull to fire it....in a real life altercation would you pull the hammer back or squeeze the trigger full pull?
The 125 grain ammo is the load known to be a great stopper in the 80's when revolvers still ruled police holsters but its loaded hot. It still has plenty of recoil and muzzle blast.

In a real life altercation I would fire a Model 19 in double action unless I needed a precise long range shot. Happens sometimes in the west, that's why some police have patrol rifles.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
OK...so I go looking for 125 grain and I see plenty of this:

"Full power 125 grain .357s are the exact load that gave K-frames somewhat of a reputation for fragility. Use a 158 grain load as much as you want. Use the 125s with more caution. That is the load which gave birth to the L-frame. Be kind to yourself and your gun."

I understand that your carry round can be different than your range round...so what's the deal?
Lots of discussion on K Frame flame cutting and forcing cone cracking on this forum. Short answer, look at your Model 19's forcing cone at the bottom. See how its flat? Most believe that a combination of failure to clean leading from the forcing cone and the fact that the shorter, hot loaded 125 grain bullet lets super hot gasses hit the forcing cone causes cracks or failure at the flat spot.

The heavier 158 grain bullets are longer and do not allow as much gas blow by as they pass thru the cylinder and forcing cone. They also hit the cone with less velocity.

It was common practice in the past to shoot a lot of cheap lead 38's out of a .357, then 'clean it out' by shooting some jacketed .357's. This causes extra pressure in the forcing cone.

Also, departments switched from shooting mostly .38's and a few .357's to firing lots of hot .357's. The 19 being a lighter .357, this beat up the guns.

I think that an almost 160 grain bullet at 1000 - 1,300 feet per second is plenty powerful enough. Stick to a reasonable amount of the 158 grain .357 loads, don't fire into a leaded forcing cone - and your 19 should have a nice long life.

My original 4" 19 has thousands of rounds thru it and it still shoots just fine.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 PM

Got the S&W holster in the mail today....wouldn't you know it is exactly like the one Martin Brody is wearing in Jaws...imagine that....

Last edited by Chief Brody; 07-28-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Liked 8,130 Times in 3,678 Posts

That's not a blemish. That's "character"
It's a SWEET piece and the holster looks just right and both have character, go enjoy.
Gary
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Liked 1,123 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:

Chief don't feed it too much of a diet of 125 grain. They are a little too hot for constant use on the K frame. I shoot 158!and 38 special with mine . I don't want forcing come issues..;

My 02

Thewelshm