Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 AM
To the moon and back again To the moon and back again To the moon and back again To the moon and back again To the moon and back again  
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,375 Posts
Default To the moon and back again

I am wondering how many of you have tried revolvers that require moon clips for ejection and did not like them or found them more hassle than they are worth.
I have a 25-2 1955 target and while it is fun to shoot, the hassle of the moon clips is causing me to not shoot the gun much at all, even using the much easier RIMZ's. I know I can use 45 AR, but the brass is expensive and hard to find.
I also have a 686 that has been given the moon clip treatment. thankfully, it still functions fine without them.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM
To the moon and back again To the moon and back again To the moon and back again To the moon and back again To the moon and back again  
Liked 29,106 Times in 14,073 Posts

What sort of hassle are you encountering? There are siple tools available.which ease the removal of fired cases, and I use the inside corner of a 7.62 NATO ammo can for that. I have a large number of moon clips and generally take them home to unload and reload them while watching TV, rather than at the range. Moons are cheap enough to have 50 or so. I think I have more than that. You don't need clips at all if you want to pluck out each fired case individually. But there is no faster way to reload a revolver than by using full moons.

Last edited by DWalt; 09-17-2014 at 09:22 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,639 Times in 1,502 Posts

I have posted this in the past, but it seems appropriate to repost in response to the OP...

Moon Clips & the .45 ACP Revolver
I have read, in many forums, how people love a .45 ACP revolver, but hate having to deal with moon clips. I find that most of these complaints originate with new owners or casual shooters, who try to load/unload the clips manually, which generally results in loss of blood and bent clips (only a slight exaggeration).

All they need to do is invest in the right clips and tools to enhance their shooting experience to the point that, I’d wager, their .45 ACP revolver becomes their favorite range toy. You have spent a considerable sum on the revolver, don’t scrimp when it comes to purchasing accessories that can only enhance your experience with your new gun.

First let’s deal with the clips. The .45 ACP revolver, being the most common of the pistol-round chambered revolvers, is probably the easiest for which to find clips. However, caveat emptor, because they are common you will often find clips of unknown origin on venues like eBay, Gun Broker and the like. These can vary considerably in thickness, so my advice is to stick with known manufacturers. Here are a few…

Ranch Products
Ranch Products

This website will only net you a phone number. You have to call them on the phone and talk to a real human being to place your order. I use Ranch Products clips for my five revolvers chambered in .45 ACP, and have never had a problem (this includes USPSA and IDPA competition, which can be the acid test for any product used with a firearm).

TK Custom
Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

This is now a full custom shop website with the emphasis on revolvers and moon clips. Tom (the owner) can machine a cylinder on what is normally a non-moon clip gun and convert it for use both with and without moon clips. I have a model 25-13, which is chambered from the factory for .45 Colt, that Tom machined so that I can now shoot .45 ACP in clips or .45 Colt in clips, speed loaders or individually. The modification adds real versatility to any revolver.

Revolver Supply Co.
The Revolver Supply Company moon clips, loader, checker, holder

The website for all things moon clips. George (the owner) manufactures an entire line of moon clips and is very receptive to customer input. He makes both blued and plated clips.

All of the above make moon clips for other models of revolvers and various calibers. This monograph is limiting itself to the discussion of those guns chambered in .45 ACP. Look upon the other calibers as the “Advanced Course” in “moon-clipology” as there are some unique problems that may crop up with them. The .45 ACP revolvers are the easiest and most cost effective guns.

Now for the object of the most complaints – the loading and unloading of said clips. There are many tools on the market to accomplish these functions, I am going to recommend but three.

For loading…

The DeLuxe Moon Clip Tool
Deluxe Moon Clip Tool

There are other websites that sell similar looking tools, but as I understand it this was the original and I feel people should be rewarded for their innovative designs. This tool bills itself as both a load and unload tool. It does a stellar job at loading clips, but there are better tools for unloading. The unloading loops on the end of this tool will do in a pinch, or if your range bag is packed to the point you aren’t able to fit in one more tool, but see below for my suggestion.

For unloading…

Moon clip stripper tool
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...-prod6727.aspx

The above link is to Brownells’ website and shows one of the most effective tools for unloading your moon clips. The shank is long enough to hold all six empties that are stripped from the clip, so the unloading goes very quickly. This is a very simple tool and for those of you that are handy (I’m not) they can be easily made from a section of copper pipe or the grip area of an old golf club shaft. Simply notch the end.

For both loading and unloading…
The BMT tool

BMT Equipped, Inc.

BMT stands for “Better Mousetrap” and believe me this is the ultimate tool for both loading and unloading of your moon clips. It is a bit pricey, and it is caliber specific, but it works. Check out the video on the website as it shows how it works far better than I can explain it. I think the BMT tool is a bit of overkill for the 6-shot .45 ACP clips – for those I prefer the first two tools mentioned. I do own a BMT tool for an 8-shot revolver and think the BMT tool is the only way to go for those.

Using the above tools will make your moon clip revolver shooting experience far more enjoyable and will result in less personal injuries and few, if any, bent clips.

Invariably, in any discussion thread involving moon clips, the polymer “Rimz” clips will enter the discussion.

Ez Moon Clips

Their claim to fame is that they are easy to load and unload without tools. If you are a casual shooter and only limber-up your moon clip gun on occasion, these may be fine for you. Because they are made of a thicker material, fit to the particular gun is more critical and they manufacture many different Rimz models to fit the various models of .45 ACP revolvers, whereas the metal clips, pretty much, work across the board – “one size fits all”. The polymer clips are not as rigid as the metal ones, nor do they hold the rounds as securely. Lastly, they are more expensive than the metal clips. The decision whether these will work best for you, is solely yours.

I prefer the metal clips since their low cost allows me to buy 50 to 100 clips (almost a lifetime supply, even for an active/competitive shooter) for a nominal amount. I can do all my actual loading and unloading of the clips at home, in front of the TV (if you are going to be mindless, you may as well be productive) and then take them to the range. I have made a rack – simply a base with 9 dowels glued in place – that will hold 27 loaded moon clips (162 rounds of .45 ACP), that fits nicely in my range bag. When I go to a match, there is no scurrying around trying to reload mags or clips between stages, I just pull-out my pre-loaded moon clips.

I think that moon clips are the greatest invention since sliced bread. Among competitive revolver shooters they are de rigueur. As I cautioned before, moon clip revolvers in calibers other than .45 ACP may not be as simple a proposition. I went through four brands of moon clips before I found the ones that worked satisfactorily for me, with an 8-shot .38 Super. Unfortunately, the ones that worked best were $7 each – which entails quite an investment when you want enough with which to shoot an entire match. You don’t have those kinds of problems with the .45 ACP guns. A fat, short cartridge with a heavy round nose bullet up front, practically loads itself into your gun.

All opinions expressed above are those of the author – Your Mileage May Vary.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 820 Times in 418 Posts

Chuckar60,
I kind of felt as you do in regards to the hassle of loading/unloading the clips. I really like my Model 25-2 but it does require clips for best use. Having said that, I finally invested in a loading and unloading clip tool and it has made shooting the revolver much more satisfying. Pizza Bob has nailed the answer for your situation and has covered everything one would want to know about tools that make the shooting of any revolver needing clips. I have a 2nd Generation 1917 which is now labeled a 25-7 or such and it takes clips. The loading tools and unloading tool makes it a fun gun and more of a pleasure to shoot than ever. So much so that what may have been a couple of revolvers, that I would have considered selling due to the hassle of loading/unloading, now not saleable. It makes that much difference in having those tools. Good luck in finding a solution for your shooting these kinds of revolvers. Hope that my experience information helps.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Liked 4,843 Times in 1,479 Posts

I had a 5" 625 Classic. Once sold I always missed it. My complaints were it being a little too long to carry, a bit heavy, and it was a bit too muzzle weighted as well. A 4" 22-4 fixed all that, and had a better trigger to boot.

I usually take 96 rounds on 16 clips to the range with me. The Rimz clips are fine for practice but I keep some steel ones for serious use.

The time spent with the clips is no problem. As much time would be spent putting rounds manually into the cylinder or placing them in speed loaders.

45acp is an easy round to reload, pleasurable to shoot, and there's a huge selection of ammunition/projectiles readily available.

I won't be without a 45acp revolver again.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:27 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,116 Times in 2,767 Posts

Agree that the right tools make using moon clips much easier. If I needed to reload quickly I likely would use moon clips more. Really like the 45 AR though so use those most of the time with my 45 auto revolvers. AR brass is harder to find but a few hundred pieces will last a long, long time. Nothing I have is more fun to shoot than a 625 loaded with 200 grain cast bullets at 750 fps.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Liked 8,129 Times in 3,678 Posts

My best friend's dad had a 1917 he would let us shoot. Military surplus ammo was dirt cheap in the 1960's. We didn't have clips or auto-rim ammo so we used a fingernail , or in my case , a #2 pencil was used to poke out any that didn't drop free when the cylinder was raised. The pencil isn't high tech but it worked and didn't draw blood and everybody had a pencil back then.
Gary
Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM

I appreciate the input. All good valid points. The gun is beautiful and a good shooter. I had never considered the aspect of the same amount of time loading single rounds as loading a moon clip. I do have to admit I like the ejection and having all the cases contained in one spot. Perhaps just need some time to get used to the process. I will give it another dozen or so range sessions before I decide what to do.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Liked 87 Times in 70 Posts

Chukar60, you owe it to yourself to shoot the moon.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Liked 1,961 Times in 331 Posts

The moon clips were the motivating factor for getting rid of a 610. Bad moon clips are horrible, and good moon clips are still moon clips. And, yes, I had a quality tool for removing the brass with ease compared to using only fingers. It just wasn't my thing is all. And I still load a lot of 10mm, but it goes to a G20.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I first bought my 625 cause I hated to picking up brass due to 2 bad knees for my the Rimz clips are the way to go...One knee fixed just one to go
Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 AM

I am running with the RIMZ now. Still not feeling the love with this Smith. Starting to realize I am just not a moon clip fan. I have a customized 686-1 that is set up to run moons or regular loading. After the first range session, I was loading loose ammo. The moons for it do not like WW brass. I don't sort brass for practice ammo. Pretty sure the 25-2 will be in the classifieds very soon. Rather have a 45 Colt, 44 Spcl or 41 mag.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Liked 7,083 Times in 2,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar60 View Post
I am running with the RIMZ now. Still not feeling the love with this Smith. Starting to realize I am just not a moon clip fan. I have a customized 686-1 that is set up to run moons or regular loading. After the first range session, I was loading loose ammo. The moons for it do not like WW brass. I don't sort brass for practice ammo. Pretty sure the 25-2 will be in the classifieds very soon. Rather have a 45 Colt, 44 Spcl or 41 mag.
RIMZ, in my book, are the way to go! Never had 1 malfunction with them. My 625 JM came with a packet of 5 in box w/gun. (bought used) S&W work great also. As mentioned, I got a batch off ebay, that were slightly too thick & cause cylinder binding. What is there not to like about a 45 ACP revolver using the right clips? Bob
Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Liked 372 Times in 176 Posts

I shoot my 625 almost every weekend
I gave up on moon clips early on and just pluck out the empties by hand
If a case is a little sticky I just use the rim of another case for gentle prying on the sticky one