Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 02-21-2015, 07:31 AM
M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help  
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help

Hi Everyone:

I purchased a model 60 no dash from a local dealer. The gun was sold to me with the wrong sized screw in the frame. This screw sits beneath the barrel in the center of the side plate.

The screw that the seller put on this gun is too large and will eventually cause some markings on the barrel. I tried to contact SW support, and was informed that they do not carry this part any longer.

I attempted to order the part on EBay but believe that I purchased the wrong screw. Being kind of new to firearms, I'm sure that I'm missing something here. Can anyone here provide me with information about what sized screws to look for or a part number list? I've been searching and cannot find anyone locally who is able to help.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated! Best..

Last edited by JZBarrons; 03-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

These screws need to be Fitted, which means that you have to file the length to the point where the drag on the yoke just disappears when the screw is tightened fully. So, from your description I suspect that what you have is a screw that has not yet been Fitted. If that is the case you should be shopping for a small stone. BTW, don't even think about using a bench grinder, it's both too fast grinding and an instrument designed specifically to launch small screws into Orbit.

If you want some spares, one fairly reliable source is Numrich Gun Parts. They do stock repair parts for a large variety of older firearms but it is common for some specific parts to be Out of Stock when you want them. If that happens use the Notify feature and you'll get an email when parts do come in.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 AM
M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help M60-No Dash --Side Plate Screw Help  
Liked 18,975 Times in 9,285 Posts

Please have a look at this post (under "How many screws?") from a somewhat well-known Forum member :

To IDENTIFY your Gun >

Your model 60 is a 3 screw, so a little detective work might fix things, presuming the sideplate screws are original. Note in the 3 screw photo, the rearmost one near the hammer has a flat head to clear the stock panel; if that one is not in the correct place on your gun, thread it into that spot.

That leaves the other two; as scooter mentioned, one of them (the yoke retention screw, the one farthest forward above the trigger) is fitted, so it retains the yoke but doesn't scratch the yoke barrel as it rotates. If the yoke (cylinder assembly) binds or falls out with one of the other two screws in place, swap it with the other round-top screw and it might work.

If you try this and the cylinder still binds or falls out with both screws, one or both is probably not original (or someone has messed with them). A gunsmith can make it right or can find a proper yoke retention screw and fit it.

Sorry for the long-winded reply .

Last edited by murphydog; 02-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks so much for the replies! All of the fussing I've done... should have come to you folks first. I'm so grateful to have folks like you to help me out with my new toy.

Last edited by JZBarrons; 03-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.