Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 02-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks  
Liked 121 Times in 29 Posts
Default Type of Wood used on these Stocks

Recently picked up this nice set of smooth presentation grips to class up some of my square K's for pictures. On my M67 no dash here, just curious what wood they were made of. They are a bookend set, both sides with matching grain. Got them from a member here, and he thought rosewood. It's what I lean toward as well, just wondering what other opinions may say. Now if I can find the right M66 for them I would be really happy! Thanks for looking.

The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Type of Wood used on these Stocks  
Liked 316 Times in 61 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's rosewood. I have a set of smooth k frame targets that have a very similar color and grain, and they are rosewood.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks  
Liked 13,445 Times in 3,391 Posts

A picture of the inside of the stocks can generally give a more definitive answer to your query.

My vote is very nice GA
S&WCA #2726
Old 02-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks Type of Wood used on these Stocks  
Liked 1,273 Times in 466 Posts

+1 on Goncalo Alves, it can vary quite a bit in appearance plus it tends to darken with age.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM

Pics of the inside of the grips.

Here is a second set that I believe are Rosewood Finger Groove Combats in square butt K frame format. Confirmation or something else?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Banned
Liked 5,516 Times in 1,649 Posts

I think both of your Stocks are Goncalo Alves,The Finger Groove Combats are GA for sure.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:47 PM

This is why I ask here. I am definitely no expert on the revolvers much less the stock woods. Thanks for the responses guys, keep em coming.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Liked 30,338 Times in 4,353 Posts

I believe the plain smooth stocks are rosewood, whereas, the finger groove stocks are definitely Goncalo alves.

Bill
Old 02-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

We need a picture of the back sides of your stocks taken in the same light as your fourth picture of them mounted on the 66. That's the picture of the left side of the 66 with the green MTM ammo box in the upper part of the picture. Most of your pictures appear to be darkened with a filter.

Goncalo Alves darkens on well used guns but mostly from absorbing sweat and gun oil. Also your presentation targets appear to have been lacquered or painted with some other finish that has turned amber with age. Usually owners don't lacquer the insides along with the out sides.

My vote is the Combats are definitly Goncalo Alves and the presentation targets might be Rose Wood. So far as I know Combats were only made from Goncalo Alves but even not knowing that I'd still vote definitly Goncalo Alves based on the pictures.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM

I think they are both GA, Most rosewoods do not have any chatoyance, they do have lots of color though. Like I said, GA has a huge difference in appearance. The sapwood looks like pine or Douglas Fir, the factory grips that look like they were made from pallets or fruitwood were actually sapwood from the GA tree. The closer you get towards the center the of the tree the darker it gets. I believe the trees are pretty big because I have seen the stuff available in wide long planks. Most of it is kind of plain looking and I haven't bought any in years until recently.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Liked 2,433 Times in 873 Posts

Isn't Goncalo Alves considered a Rosewood?

I also think they are Goncalo Alves as they look similar to a Factory set of Stocls that I have.

I love Smooth Targets by the way, and Kurac, who has responded in this thread, makes the best Smooth Targets out there. I have 4 sets of his work myself.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Liked 3,586 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_R View Post

I also think they are Goncalo Alves as they look similar to a Factory set of Stocls that I have.

I love Smooth Targets by the way, and Kurac, who has responded in this thread, makes the best Smooth Targets out there. I have 4 sets of his work myself.
The rosewood offered by the factory around 1979 and later was not the same Rosewood ( Bahia ) that most people are use to seeing.They don't darken with oil like traditional Brazilian rosewood will.So they could be a form of Goncallo Alves for the most part.Note.not commenting on the OP set.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_R View Post
Nope, Rosewoods are all in the genus Dalbergia, GA is something totally different. For me the best way to tell if a set of grips is GA or a type of Rosewoods is the chatoyance, depth shimmer or whatever you want to call it. Rosewoods very rarely have a chatoyance were GA is well known for having a nice chatoyance. When a set of grips is well used 50+ years old and soaked in oil and grime its more difficult to tell but if you clean them up or put some mineral spirits on the surface it can help.

Last edited by Culina; 02-23-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the great responses guys. I am going to try and get some even lighting pics of the targets up tonight, but to Kuracs point, there is a shine coming from inside the wood. It seems that it is chatoyance that he speaks of. I have seen sets of your stocks Kurac and have been thoroughly impressed by the pictures.