Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-16-2015, 01:44 AM
What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do?  
Liked 1,871 Times in 253 Posts
Default What to do, what to do?

I bought my first S&W in 1982 which I still have. It's a model 19 I used in LE for 10 years. About a year and a half ago started getting back into them. I don't buy beat up guns with no bluing even for shooting. I took care of my gun for 30+ years and still looks good. I like shooting my guns as I taught LE firearms and shot competition in the past. I have had some back and health issues while picking up some of the guns this past year and half. I have only been shooting half a dozen times. I am getting better now and wanting to shoot more of the guns I acquired. Several of the first were definitely shooters even though they were in good condition. Others are in 97% and above with boxes. I bought them to enjoy which to me is shooting. It's driven me crazy to have these beautiful guns and not shoot them.
JR

Here's my latest.

Some of the beauties I have acquired. I guess since I bought them to shoot that's what I should do.

Last edited by jrandyh; 05-16-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:14 AM
What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do?  
Liked 821 Times in 490 Posts

Why shucks, that's an easy one...........shoot, clean, oil, repeat as desired.
Fire two boxes and call me in the morning. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but shooting advice ? Heck, I got plenty.

Larry
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 05:31 AM
What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do?  

This has the extendable front sight.

Last edited by jrandyh; 05-16-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:38 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,613 Times in 1,498 Posts

You are obviously a life member of the P&R club!

Nice collection!!
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Liked 172 Times in 63 Posts

Nice guns!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Liked 3,443 Times in 936 Posts

I am shooting these:

If you cannot afford to enjoy what you have, let someone else enjoy it/them!
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

I would shoot or sell. Having they sit around ment I wasted money
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Liked 301 Times in 88 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandyh View Post
I bought my first S&W in 1982 which I still have. It's a model 19 I used in LE for 10 years. About a year and a half ago started getting back into them. I don't buy beat up guns with no bluing even for shooting. I took care of my gun for 30+ years and still looks good. I like shooting my guns as I taught LE firearms and shot competition in the past. I have had some back and health issues while picking up some of the guns this past year and half. I have only been shooting half a dozen times. I am getting better now and wanting to shoot more of the guns I acquired. Several of the first were definitely shooters even though they were in good condition. Others are in 97% and above with boxes. I bought them to enjoy which to me is shooting. It's driven me crazy to have these beautiful guns and not shoot them.
JR

Some of the beauties I have acquired. I guess since I bought them to shoot that's what I should do.
And not ONE with the Lawyer safety! Beautiful collection.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 AM

My old LE gun. Carried under a sport coat or suit. Taught LE firearms with it also. Has over 50k through it. Not bad condition for a well used gun. Used but not abused.
JR
Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
My old LE gun. Carried under a sport coat or suit. Taught LE firearms with it also. Has over 50k through it. Not bad condition for a well used gun. Used but not abused.
JR
Used but not abused. I call it well taken care of.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned
Liked 3,574 Times in 1,163 Posts

Never seen a better group of wonderful K frames. Are those Korths with Nills grips, wow, and a Sig P210. Great stuff, made my Saturday range clean up day exciting. Sincerely hope you feel better quick.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee's Landing Billy View Post
Never seen a better group of wonderful K frames. Are those Korths with Nills grips, wow, and a Sig P210. Great stuff, made my Saturday range clean up day exciting. Sincerely hope you feel better quick.
Yes, those three are Korths. I shot the P210-6 and the rimfire Colt Officers Model Match today.

I enjoyed the guns with every shot.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 AM

I never said I couldn't afford them. Wouldn't have them if I couldn't. Said I picked up a lot of them over the past year while having some health issues. Some I already had. Just had people tell me I shouldn't shoot them. I should sell and buy shooter quality guns. I prefer not yo buy guns with bluing off etc when I took care of mine 30 years.
JR

The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 AM

No dash and dash 1

Old 05-17-2015, 12:45 AM

Like Nills Too. Have them on my Sigs.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Like Nills Too. Have them on my Sigs.

Very nice! I have them on a SIG P210-4, P.38, GP100, Ruger SRH, Korths, as well as on many S&W revolvers. I like their quality and fit to my hand.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I never said I couldn't afford them. Wouldn't have them if I couldn't. Said I picked up a lot of them over the past year while having some health issues. Some I already had. Just had people tell me I shouldn't shoot them. I should sell and buy shooter quality guns. I prefer not yo buy guns with bluing off etc when I took care of mine 30 years.
JR
Jrandyh,

I am predominantly a shooter who accumulated a lot of guns over the years to a point where I sometimes doubt my own sanity.

I am shooting all my guns including some nice Mauser P.08s and the only gun that I stopped shooting is a Korth Combat that I have enjoyed shooting but have reserved for my oldest son when he finishes med school.

I have some Korth revolvers where a scratch would depreciate the gun more than any of my S&W M19s is worth but I have my priorities set and I think that we are both old enough to know what to do and if you want to listen to people to get guns with finish wear as dedicated shooters, it is not a fatal decision but might boost the value of your estate.

I have a S&W M14-2 that I bought used in Chicago 1985 and that has seen thousands of rounds through it and was my competition gun for years, a good friend even borrowed it for a competition. I took care of it and am a firm believer that careful use does not harm a gun.

Anyway, when my kids inherit them, they will be "as is", no returns accepted.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks,
I agree.
JR
Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 PM
US Veteran
What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do? What to do, what to do?  
Liked 576 Times in 280 Posts

Seems to me you already made a decision and are looking for others to agree...So, shoot and enjoy them!
Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Liked 170 Times in 61 Posts

If I had them I would shoot every one as often as I could, especially with you not being well enough to for awhile.