Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 06-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 2,912 Times in 656 Posts
Default Gun show observations this morning

This morning, I went to my first gun show in over 15 years in Cincinnati. The usual size of the show and array of wares were present, just as I remembered. As far as handguns: semi-auto city. I was hoping to see at least a couple dozen various S&W revolvers, but I was surprised to see there were hardly any being sold by the numerous dealers there.

Except for a few J-frame air weights, I saw one new 4 inch model 66. The rest of the revolvers at the show were primarily dominated by Taurus, Ruger, Rossi and Charter Arms.

The point of my post is two surprising finds. One guy had a brand new S&W model 22a for $255. I don't know if this is a current production gun or what these guns normally sell for, but this price blew me away and it certainly appeared brand new. If I didn't live in northern KY I probably would have bought it. Very nice gun. I know I could have done the FFL transfer thing, but I promised the warden I was done with gun purchases for awhile.

The other was in the very last aisle, which are usually reserved for sellers of obviously used guns. It was a blued 4-inch model 58 that had light pitting all over the gun, the cylinder was missing about 30% of the bluing, and it seemed pretty loose. It had definitely seen better days. I'd say at best it was in 70% condition. The guy was asking $500 for it. I chuckled, set it down and walked on. I am thinking for the condition, $300 would have been a more on target price, but I don't know---are these the kinds of prices older S&W revolvers are commanding, even in this condition? Just curious.

Last edited by rjm6120; 06-27-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add barrel length
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 04:06 PM
US Veteran
Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 259 Times in 154 Posts

Where I'm at here in Alaska that model 58 would be considered sold! I know of several that would buy it, me included! Kyle
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Liked 2,433 Times in 873 Posts

You should have bought that 58 for a project gun. He'll get $500 for it.

Last edited by Tom_R; 06-28-2015 at 06:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,066 Posts

You could have offered $300 if you were serious about buying, just to open the conversation. Settling at $400 would have been the logical resolution, and you would have an awesome pistol to start a new project with. But then again, if not what you were really looking for then best to keep your money in your pocket for another time!
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Liked 326 Times in 140 Posts

Why did you chuckle at someone when by your own admission didn't know the value?

Just curious.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Liked 224 Times in 77 Posts

Just went to the gun show here in Conroe, TX this morning. Not to many s&w revolvers. However, I did pick up a 637 I have been wanting for a while. 380 + tax. First gun show I have been to in about 5 years.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Liked 29,239 Times in 13,823 Posts
Default Rare antiques.......

I'm don't know a lot about military antiques, but one guy at a show had of bunch of horrible looking old rifles and had as sign saying they were 'rare' and a typical price was $11,000.

Methinks they were waiting for that guy with a whole lotta money and very little sense.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Liked 9,115 Times in 3,211 Posts

Finding used S&W revolvers aside, I've been told by at least two dealers that getting Smith revolvers is a very iffy thing.

The production apparently isn't there even though the demand might be fairly high.

One dealer said it's easier to turn out all those plastic autos at a fraction of the cost of what it takes to make a revolver. And, he said, the autos are selling.

From a new consumer point of view, the auto with 10 or 15 rounds seems much more the sane route to go than buying a revolver that costs hundreds more and only holds six or seven rounds.

Last edited by UncleEd; 06-27-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Liked 563 Times in 334 Posts

Keep buying the plastic frame autos so there will be more revolvers left over for me.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Tom and Speedgun---I did think a little bit about the project gun thing when I got home, but I am not at all in the market for a gun right now, especially a $500-or-so project gun. I'm ok with completely passing on it---I didn't even remotely consider buying it. I'm definitely going to have to really build up my slush fund for awhile, because I've been going a little crazy since November. It's an intriguing idea for the future though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgunguy View Post
Why did you chuckle at someone when by your own admission didn't know the value?

Just curious.
Looking back on what I posted, it kind of does make me sound like a d**k, doesn't it? I would never chuckle/laugh in someone's face--I probably should have clarified that what I did was chuckle to myself, at the same time thinking "you want $500 for this---really?". Just shows my admitted ignorance on the values of older Smith revolvers these days, especially those like the model 58 I saw today. Now that I know this guy will likely have no trouble selling it, I now have an idea of what kind of shape revolver $400 or $500 will buy, and what $700 on up will get me.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Liked 1,348 Times in 283 Posts
Default n frames

If you follow the ads. on this forum you will see that a 28-2 just sold for $900.00 and it wasn't even an S prefix gun with diamond grips. Nice 27-2s are going for a grand and more.
Pre-27s are commanding $1500.00 and up.

If you start talking about scarce or rare N frames you'd better hold on to your shorts.

70% N frames are in the $500-$600 these days for the common ones.

Have you gone to the grocery store lately? I went yesterday for the first time in a year and prices have almost doubled in that year. It is shocking!

The old dollar just ain't what she used to be.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 AM
US Veteran
Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 230 Times in 101 Posts

I wouldn't have given 500 for that 58. Pitting for me is a deal breaker.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 AM
US Veteran
Liked 2,397 Times in 1,081 Posts

At $400-425, that 58 would have been very interesting.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:53 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

I WONDER WHAT THE TERM, "PROJECT GUN" MEANS. IF YOU ARE A KITCHEN TABLE, BUBBA GUNSMITH, WHO INTENDS TO REMEDY ANY MECHANICAL ISSUES, AND CARRY THIS 58 IN YOUR TACKLE BOX OR TRUCK--UNRESTORED COSMETICALLY, THEN THE PURCHASE MAY MAKE SENSE. OTHERWISE, IMHO, YOU WILL LIKELY PUT MORE MONEY INTO THE GUN, THAN YOU WOULD SPEND FOR A NICE CLEAN, ORIGINAL SHOOTER, THAT WON'T HURT YOUR EYES…..

Last edited by one eye joe; 06-28-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Liked 4,253 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default Nice S&W Revolvers- forced to go online

It is becoming increasingly apparent that most of the nice S&W revolvers, particularly N-frames, are being sold through the online auction sites. Yes, there are a few Smiths to be found at the gun shows and very occasionally at lgs, but usually not the nice ones; and if they are nice ones you can be sure that the prices mirror the expensive online prices. I've even seen several OPs on this site discussing how they were going to be posting their guns for sale online and asking for price suggestions (instead of posting on S&W Forum Guns for Sale site)! Whereas in the past, a buyer could post on the S&W Forum WTB site looking for a particular piece and get several responses- these days I've seen many that were 0 replies. Because I have been unable to locate one or two particular revolvers at gun shows, in the very near future I plan to ask Forum members if they have those models for sale, and I'm hoping to get some responses (PMs or otherwise). I'll keep my fingers crossed. And yes, I will continue to attend gun shows and lgs, but it's getting a little frustrating and monotonous. Just my two cents.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,677 Times in 1,228 Posts

Something else that I've become more aware of is that until I'm willing to drive to the other side of the state I'm just going to see the same vendors with the same merchandise at the different shows. I have to decide if driving over 3 hrs for the chance to see something different is worth the time/expense risk.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:32 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,425 Times in 414 Posts

You have 2 different, but related issues:

I have shared your frustration. Very few people ever look at the WTB section. I have had a post there for well over a year and not gotten a single response to a particular gun. Its not a common piece by any means but its not a Cooper gun or even a RM. It becomes even more furstrating when the object of your desire shows up in the WTS section and is snatched up in minutes, usually for less than you would have been willing to pay. I am guilty of not looking in the WTB section before posting something for sale but I try to remember. This is sort of along the same lines as the stock/gun reunion section discussed from time to time. How cool would it be to reunite stocks with the gun they originally came with? I have offered stocks back to the original gun owner for what I had in them because I know I would want them if I owned the gun and I knew some one had the stocks for it. Unfortunetly, there appears to be little enthusiasm for this type exchange. The idea resurfaces occassionally but dies shortly thereafter.

On the issue of price, the fact is that the prices some are willing to pay has skyrocketed and auction system allows for prices to soar far beyond what most would even consider posting a set sale price here or elsewhere. If you want top dollar, conventional wisdom is to use an auction site. If you actually care where your gun ends up, then this site is about the best because you can choose who you sell it to. It doesn't have to be the first "I will take it" so long as you post in the ad that you reserve the right to sell to whomever you want. With most of the flippers now eradicated, this isn't as big a deal as it used to be but its still a nice option to have.
From my short time here reading and watching who posts what guns and trying to keep up with online sales I have determined that most of the finest guns never appear anywhere for sale. They rotate among a relatively few elite collectors, each seemingly enjoying the time its under their custodianship, before being passed on. I often, half seriously, wonder if money even exchanges hands for these fine pieces and if it does, is the amount in line with what the same gun would fetch on the open market such as GB? I would bet not since the primary motivation, I dont believe, is money. I may be naieve
Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 13,410 Times in 3,290 Posts

I lived in Cincinnati 1992-96 and taught at the University of Cincinnati. At that time the city had gun laws beyond state regs (handgun waiting periods and a very stupid assault weapon law) and there were no gun shops or shows within the city limits as a result. Has that situation changed?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Liked 5,780 Times in 625 Posts

I went to a gun show in Ventura yesterday. As I was driving the hour from Los Angeles the thought of a wasted morning came to mine. In the end it was worth the trip for many reasons. Some of the best guns in my collection or at least some of the more interesting gun have come to me by way of local gun shows. A few recent smith examples; 14-3 nib complete; Pre 29 6" and 4" barrels both with black cases; number 25 serial triple lock; 1917 triple lock; pre war first model K32 Hand Ejector... Although I didn't buy anything yesterday although here were some nice Colts and a few Smiths and some very nice Antique black powder revolvers. The Ventura Show is known for not having a great selection of older guns more polymer, nevertheless there was some good stuff just nothing right for me yesterday..
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM
SWCA Member
Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 3,401 Times in 582 Posts
Talking Gun Shows

I went to the Montgomery AL show (350 tables) yesterday along with my gun show buddy. It was a 125 mile ride for us. This was a new show in a different location, saw a few of the usual dealers but a refreshing number of collectors. There were a number of older S&Ws; m17; m28 6", older breaktops; and others, but only 2 N frames, both Brazillian contract guns in very poor condition at $500+. What was interesting were the number of Civil War era Colts and antique arms. My buddy (a Colt collector was a happy camper) scored an 1819 bayonet for his Wickham musket. I came home with a new very sharp kitchen knife.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
SWCA Member
Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 3,401 Times in 582 Posts
Unhappy Gun Show

Yes, I know an M28 is an N frame!!!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
I lived in Cincinnati 1992-96 and taught at the University of Cincinnati. At that time the city had gun laws beyond state regs (handgun waiting periods and a very stupid assault weapon law) and there were no gun shops or shows within the city limits as a result. Has that situation changed?
Now that you brought that up, Saxon, I don't think it's changed much if at all. The only place Bill Goodman's has/has had their gun shows, as far back as I can remember going to the early 90's, and it's darned near monthly, is in Sharonville if you recall where that is. And when I think about the LGS's in Hamilton County, I know of NONE that are in the city limits of Cincinnati---they are all in the little surrounding municipalities like Norwood, North College Hill, Sharonville, Blue Ash, etc.

Now, I am not at all sure about assault weapons laws there, but I don't think that the actual possession of firearms in the city is that big of a deal (ask my father and uncle, who own gobs of firearms!!).

Fortunately, since I live across the river in northern KY, which is a great gun state (ahem...Commonwealth lol), I have close access to several gun stores and ranges within 15 minutes of where I live and don't have to worry about limits, waiting periods, etc.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Absent Comrade
Liked 12,383 Times in 2,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flundertaker View Post
Very few people ever look at the WTB section.
If you actually care where your gun ends up, then this site is about the best because you can choose who you sell it to.
I check it EVERY day for that very reason. I have a lot of guns to get rid of before I croak and I'm happy to say that I have furnished more than a few members with the object of their desire,as well as a few of the aforementioned "flippers" for whom I have nothing but respect. They will usually pay my asking price without my having to jump through unending hoops required by some of the less experienced buyers here,only to be followed by counter-offers and an eventual "I'll pass". As a general rule,MOST,and I stress MOST,people who place WTB ads here are looking for deals that they can't get any where else. Apparently,they NEVER look at the prices BEING PAID on the auction sites. Nevertheless,I will continue to offer things here before going elsewhere.
f.t.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:13 PM
SWCA Member
Gun show observations this morning Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 10,983 Times in 3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm36 View Post
... The old dollar just ain't what she used to be.
I agree. It's not so much that guns have gone up as the dollar has gone down.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Liked 1,348 Times in 283 Posts

All of the good guns ARE going to the elite collectors - because they are the only ones willing to pay the price for nice stuff.

I have tried to sell some very nice guns from my collection in the past, here and at gun shows, only to have 99% of the perspective buyers be ridiculous with me. Most have not kept up with the current market prices - and think they should still be able to pay yesterdays prices.

Sadly, I was forced to find those elite buyers in my area and sell directly to them since I could not find realistic buyers elsewhere.

Buyers can not demand to buy Cadillac guns at Volkswagen prices - and then be upset that the Cadillac salesman left town.

I am realistic. If I want a nice gun - I know I'm going to have to let the moths out of my wallet
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm36 View Post
All of the good guns ARE going to the elite collectors - because they are the only ones willing to pay the price for nice stuff.

I have tried to sell some very nice guns from my collection in the past, here and at gun shows, only to have 99% of the perspective buyers be ridiculous with me. Most have not kept up with the current market prices - and think they should still be able to pay yesterdays prices.

Sadly, I was forced to find those elite buyers in my area and sell directly to them since I could not find realistic buyers elsewhere.

Buyers can not demand to buy Cadillac guns at Volkswagen prices - and then be upset that the Cadillac salesman left town.

I am realistic. If I want a nice gun - I know I'm going to have to let the moths out of my wallet
Precisely. Seeing the way the economy is working shows that the buying power of the buck has dropped, and the "growing of fortune" requires greater working amounts. Never before in my short 62 yrs has the phrase "it's worth exactly what a man will pay for it" been more true.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat tom View Post
I check it EVERY day for that very reason. I have a lot of guns to get rid of before I croak and I'm happy to say that I have furnished more than a few members with the object of their desire,as well as a few of the aforementioned "flippers" for whom I have nothing but respect. They will usually pay my asking price without my having to jump through unending hoops required by some of the less experienced buyers here,only to be followed by counter-offers and an eventual "I'll pass". As a general rule,MOST,and I stress MOST,people who place WTB ads here are looking for deals that they can't get any where else. Apparently,they NEVER look at the prices BEING PAID on the auction sites. Nevertheless,I will continue to offer things here before going elsewhere.
f.t.
I always check the WTB. I also do it for the purpose of following the market. I check the for sale, and scan the auction sites, to note what's being bid upon, how active the trading is, and what sold items went for. It's not hard to follow the market, but good stocks are expensive, doesn't matter if it's Apple, Caterpillar or a model 27.
There's also always someone trying to sell junk, but fortunately it don't happen here.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:11 PM

To the Original Poster, I had said earlier, you should have bought it for $500. That assumes you were looking for an N Frame. If not, passing on the 58 was not a bad thing. I contemplated a mint 99.99% 58 about a year ago. I could have got it for $800 OTD, cash. It just wasn't my thing, and another member eneded up with it for $850 cash.

$500 for a functional 58 would be hard to pass up, and it would be a fun project gun or a good gun to try with hand loads.

Still $500 gets you halfway to something REALLY nice like a 29, a 28 or a nice Colt 1911.

Good luck finding your next one.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM
US Veteran
Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flundertaker View Post
You have 2 different, but related issues:

I have shared your frustration. Very few people ever look at the WTB section. I have had a post there for well over a year and not gotten a single response to a particular gun. Its not a common piece by any means but its not a Cooper gun or even a RM. It becomes even more furstrating when the object of your desire shows up in the WTS section and is snatched up in minutes, usually for less than you would have been willing to pay. I am guilty of not looking in the WTB section before posting something for sale but I try to remember. This is sort of along the same lines as the stock/gun reunion section discussed from time to time. How cool would it be to reunite stocks with the gun they originally came with? I have offered stocks back to the original gun owner for what I had in them because I know I would want them if I owned the gun and I knew some one had the stocks for it. Unfortunetly, there appears to be little enthusiasm for this type exchange. The idea resurfaces occassionally but dies shortly thereafter.

On the issue of price, the fact is that the prices some are willing to pay has skyrocketed and auction system allows for prices to soar far beyond what most would even consider posting a set sale price here or elsewhere. If you want top dollar, conventional wisdom is to use an auction site. If you actually care where your gun ends up, then this site is about the best because you can choose who you sell it to. It doesn't have to be the first "I will take it" so long as you post in the ad that you reserve the right to sell to whomever you want. With most of the flippers now eradicated, this isn't as big a deal as it used to be but its still a nice option to have.
From my short time here reading and watching who posts what guns and trying to keep up with online sales I have determined that most of the finest guns never appear anywhere for sale. They rotate among a relatively few elite collectors, each seemingly enjoying the time its under their custodianship, before being passed on. I often, half seriously, wonder if money even exchanges hands for these fine pieces and if it does, is the amount in line with what the same gun would fetch on the open market such as GB? I would bet not since the primary motivation, I dont believe, is money. I may be naieve
WITH REGARD TO PRICING, YOU ARE CORRECT IN SAYING THAT HIGHER PRICES ARE REALIZED BY LISTING ON A SITE LIKE GUN BROKER, THAN ON A FORUM WITH A FIXED PRICE. THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF AN AUCTION---TO EXTRACT THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF MONETARY COMPENSATION FOR THE MERCHANDISE YOU ARE SELLING……

WITHOUT MEANING ANY DISRESPECT, I FIND THAT MANY MEMBERS OF OUR FORUM ARE RELUCTANT TO BUY A FIREARM UNLESS THEY CAN BUY IT AT A ROCK BOTTOM PRICE. TO CALL THEM "FRUGAL" IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. I HAVE BEEN A FORUM MEMBER FOR SEVERAL YEARS, AND DURING THAT TIME, I HAVE READ COUNTLESS POSTS WHERIN PEOPLE WALK AWAY FROM GUNS THEY HAVE SEARCHED FOR, FOR A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TIME, BECAUSE THE SELLER WANTED $100. OR SO, MORE THAN THEY WANTED TO SPEND. IMHO, LIFE IS WAAAY TO SHORT FOR THAT TYPE OF BEHAVIOR. I HAVE SPENT MORE THAN I HAVE WANTED TO FOR MANY OF MY FIREARMS, BUT I CAN SAY HONESTLY THAT THERE ARE NO GUNS THAT I HAVE LONGED FOR, THAT I HAVE NOT OWNED AND ENJOYED. SOMETIMES, WHEN I READ POSTS THAT REPLY TO THE QUESTION OF WHAT VALUE SHOULD BE PLACED ON AN ITEM TO BE PUT UP FOR SALE, AND I SEE RESPONSES THAT ARE $200. OR $300. LESS THAN I HAVE EVER SEEN SUCH A GUN SELL FOR, I WONDER IF THESE PEOPLE ARE LIVING ON A DIFFERENT PLANET. EVERY HANDGUN THAT I HAVE EVER SOLD, HAS BEEN A BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE OF A COLT OR S&W. I HAVE ALWAYS GIVEN MY GUNS EXCELLENT CARE, AS I HAVE CONSIDERED MYSELF THE FORTUNATE, TEMPORARY CUSTODIAN OF A WORK OF ART. I HAVE ALWAYS DEMANDED TOP DOLLAR FOR THEM. AS A RESULT, I HAVE NEVER BOTHERED TO LIST THEM IN OUR WTS SECTION, OR ON THE COLT FORUM EITHER. I HAVE SOLD EXCLUSIVELY ON GUN BROKER, OR INFORMALLY TO REPEAT CUSTOMERS , VIA THE INTERNET…..

NEITHER GUN BROKER, NOR OUR WTS SECTION OPERATES LIKE AN ADOPTION AGENCY. A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE NRA DOES NOT VISIT THE HOME TO INSPECT IT, OR INTERVIEW THE PROSPECTIVE BUYER, AND HIS FAMILY MEMBERS, TO DETERMINE IF THEY WILL PROVIDE A GOOD ENVIRONMENT FOR THE FIREARM. UNLESS YOU PERSONALLY KNOW THE BUYER, YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF YOUR PRECIOUS FIREARM IS "GOING TO A GOOD HOME". WE MUST ASSUME THAT ONLY A FOOL, WHO SPENDS A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY ON A FINE FIREARM, WOULD TIE IT TO HIS TRUCK WITH FISHING LINE AND DRAG IT, OR MISTREAT IT IN SOME OTHER WAY. IN THE VAST MAJORITY OF INSTANCES, I WOULD PRESUME THAT BOTH A FORUM AND A GUN BROKER BUYER WOULD GIVE THE FIREARM A "NORMAL" AMOUNT OF USE, AND A "REASONABLE" AMOUNT OF CARE. AFTER YEARS OF OWNERSHIP, THE PIECE MAY SHOW SIGNS OF "HONEST WEAR" IF THEY ARE BLUED, OR MAY LOOK LIKE NEW IF THEY ARE STAINLESS. VERY FEW PEOPLE WHO LOVE GUNS LIKE WE DO, ABUSE THEM. WE ARE THE TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO MAKE UP THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERSHIP OF THIS FORUM, AND THE SELLERS AND BUYERS ON THE AUCTION SITES…….
Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Liked 388 Times in 169 Posts

I usually go to 4 or 5 local guns shows a year. Sometimes there are bargains, sometimes not. Most individual sellers price their guns high and are willing to negotiate.

A few weeks ago I got a good buy on a Model 19-3 2.5” barrel round butt. The seller was asking $650. The stocks (Original magnas) were dried out like they were sun parched from sitting out in the desert. The frame behind and below the cylinder had a layer of what I can only describe as road grime. After a lot of back and forth and pointing out that the gun looked like it was carried by motorcycle cop who hadn’t taken it out of his holster for a few years, I got it for $475 and it cleaned up real pretty.

Last edited by Twiki357; 06-28-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 2,861 Times in 460 Posts
Default 58 Project Guns......

Here's a couple.
A 2-1/2" 44 snubby.

A 3" 44 snubby

Here they are together

I woulda' bought the 58 for $500

Ned
Old 06-29-2015, 12:01 AM
S&W Historian
Liked 11,327 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Finding used S&W revolvers aside, I've been told by at least two dealers that getting Smith revolvers is a very iffy thing.

The production apparently isn't there even though the demand might be fairly high.

One dealer said it's easier to turn out all those plastic autos at a fraction of the cost of what it takes to make a revolver. And, he said, the autos are selling.

From a new consumer point of view, the auto with 10 or 15 rounds seems much more the sane route to go than buying a revolver that costs hundreds more and only holds six or seven rounds.
Uncle Ed.
If you can't stop them with 5 or 6 rounds, what makes you think 15 will? I'll take a well placed shot over spray and pray any day!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:01 AM
US Veteran
Liked 110 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Now that I know this guy will likely have no trouble selling it, I now have an idea of what kind of shape revolver $400 or $500 will buy, and what $700 on up will get me.
Very much depends on the model.

2 examples.
Just the other day, I bought a 34-1 in LNIB condition for $500.
A NIB 58-1 cost me $900 last month.
That's a bit high, but to find a NIB 2008 of any revolver is quite the find.
And I've been drooling over finding a Model 58 for months.
John 3:17
<><
Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Liked 811 Times in 313 Posts

I have started a new technique when I go to gun shows. I wear headphones and listen to music. It provides a good excuse to avoid talking to people. When I see something I'm interested in, I pull the headphones.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Liked 13,321 Times in 3,301 Posts

The reasons you don't see the Smith & Wesson revolvers you remember are (1) they don't make them anymore, and (2) the people who have them, don't sell them.

When you do find one for sale, if you haven't been keeping up with prices lately, you're probably going to be surprised.

$500.00 for that 58, probably wouldn't have lasted the first day on my LGS's shelf.
John 3:16 .
Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Absent Comrade
Liked 12,383 Times in 2,810 Posts

Half of the reason I go to shows is to visit with folks and interact with the "great unwashed".
f.t.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Gun show observations this morning  
Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

So much room for comment. What needs to be said and understood is the M58 is what we call a "cult" gun. There is an avid following and a bunch of guys want them. They also didn't make very many. Yes, I'd have bought it had I seen it. And Sharonville is up about exit 16, that's 16 miles north of me. Sure, I can't legally buy a gun in Ohio, but I have a son that can. He's already got a safe half full of guns I couldn't buy. If its in the family, its good.

Instead we went south to Lexington. I only took along 4 guns and didn't expect to sell any. So I sold 3 of the 4 and it was a good day. I don't really like the Goodman shows. I soured on them years ago up in Dayton. Some dude came in. He was asked at the door, as is everyone if he had any guns. He lied and said no. Then he proceeded down the front wall asking each table if they were interested in buying his. At the end of the wall the guy asked him what he had. So he pulled out the junk .25 auto and dumped the magazine, then fired it into the floor. The richochet came off the floor and hit a girl in the thigh. At that point they had to keep the boyfriend from killing the idiot. But Goodman refused to prosecute because he'd have to stay in Dayton for court on Monday.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Liked 318 Times in 98 Posts

Goodman lives in KY but he stopped having shows here years ago. Now it's only Dayton, Sharonville or Nashville. I always wondered why.

The RK show in Lexington is always a better show that Goodman's regardless of location, so no real loss.

I went to the Lexington show and swung by Bud's on the way home. I picked up a 2.5" M66 for $460! This particular gun comes with a story that will have to tell in a separate thread.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM

I am in Connecticut, I don't think they do gun shows here. From what I understand, it doesn't SEEM like I am missing much, but I'd still like to be able to hit one up someday, because, you never know.

I have a GREAT LGS that gets in a lot of good Smiths, but they move quickly, so it is important to check regularly.

There is also a GREAT store down on the Coast that gets some amazing stuff, but they are a hike, so I don't hit them up often.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Liked 5,555 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_R View Post
To the Original Poster, I had said earlier, you should have bought it for $500. That assumes you were looking for an N Frame. If not, passing on the 58 was not a bad thing. I contemplated a mint 99.99% 58 about a year ago. I could have got it for $800 OTD, cash. It just wasn't my thing, and another member eneded up with it for $850 cash.

$500 for a functional 58 would be hard to pass up, and it would be a fun project gun or a good gun to try with hand loads.

Still $500 gets you halfway to something REALLY nice like a 29, a 28 or a nice Colt 1911.

Good luck finding your next one.
And I still thank you for passing on it and giving forum members a heads up. A beautiful 58! 😊
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfricks View Post
And I still thank you for passing on it and giving forum members a heads up. A beautiful 58! 😊
So glad that you got it. Do you shoot it, or do you just take it out and admire it's beauty? I don't know if if I could shoot it. I definitely wouldn't holster it. It was as close to perfect as I have ever seen.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Here in central Mississippi we have at least 2 guns shows per month within 90 miles or less from me. Only exception is July, August and September. Only one or two total during those months.
There is always a decent selection of S&W's in early M&P's, Mod 19's, Mod 686's and a few Mod 66's. Occasionally a private dealer will have a selection of older Mod 24's, Mod 29's, Mod 66's and early 38's. Prices are about the same or a little less than is sold in the classified section of this forum.
SWCA #2967
S&WHF #454