Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 07-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions?  
Liked 392 Times in 201 Posts
Default Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions?

Over on a well known auction site is a really pretty S&W 25 in 45colt that is listed as a Jovino Effector. An update in the description states that the revolver was actually converted by a smith other than John Jovino but I am still interested in the revolver for the price that it is currently at. One problem, the seller admitted to me in response to a few questions I had that part of the serial number on the butt has been defaced by the N sq to K rd conversion. The seller also claims that because the number is still on the frame under the barrel everything is still legal, but that still sends up red flags with me. Could I please get some clarification on the legality of this?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:42 PM
SWCA Member
Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions?  
Liked 6,396 Times in 964 Posts

The number on the butt is the one that matters.
SWCA #2697
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 PM

The seller said the "N" is gone but the number is still there.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Liked 48,560 Times in 9,216 Posts

Under the barrel?
Does that mean in the yoke cut?
The serial number WAS probably stamped there on a Mod 25-5.

IF the serial number IS still on the frame in the yoke cut, there is no legal problem.
ATF regs do not stipulate where a serial number has to be on a frame.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Liked 8,461 Times in 3,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
Under the barrel?

IF the serial number IS still on the frame in the yoke cut, there is no legal problem.
Lee, good point, and not looking to quibble, but there are police departments that insist the serial # be on the butt. This issue can arise during registration or inspection, depending on the locality.

Kaaskop49
Shield #5103
Old 07-20-2015, 03:24 PM
US Veteran
Liked 22,313 Times in 8,245 Posts

Lets hope the person in Texas doesn't have any Registration or Inspection to contend with.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Liked 1,834 Times in 365 Posts

I have looked at the gun several times, and if the price stays close it is likely a deal, but........I have not bid (and I want a snub 25-5 BADLY) because it has just enough questions and mysteries to scare me a little as to who actually did the work, and what it really is. Letter to Jovino or a receipt from Behlert......all over it. Innuendo about it......scares me after getting burned on a few deals where things were not what was advertised.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions? Serial Number and Round Butt Conversions?  
Liked 4,487 Times in 1,927 Posts

Lee is absolutely correct. And lots of handguns don't have butts!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Liked 1,682 Times in 703 Posts

Back in the day... custom gunsmiths got permission from the ATF to restamp the number somewhere else on the frame BEFORE altering the area where the SN is. This was not uncommon. I don't know what documentation there was for it & if it was per piece or a blanket permission.
I'd have no problem so long as the number is on the frame somewhere.

Last edited by flagman1776; 07-20-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
Under the barrel?

Yes I mean in the yoke cut.