Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw?  
Liked 15,512 Times in 6,798 Posts
Question Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw?

Looking for a screw for N frame Magna stocks, I tried Numrich, SW, Brownells you name it?

It is approximate 1 1/16" long (I tried a screw from another gun) No idea what the thread size is I am guessing it is standard for SW stocks??

Is there no "hardware" store size screw that will fit these?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw?  
Liked 26,393 Times in 8,413 Posts

Ive heard that they're available on eBay,but I've forgotten the sellers name...
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 07:30 PM
US Veteran
Liked 22,419 Times in 8,275 Posts

S&W used their own non-standard thread screws. Keep looking and post an add on the "Want to buy" section. There is someone that has manufactured some screws, and hopefully he or someone who knows who that is will be along.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,375 Posts

eBay has them listed almost all the time. Search "smith grip N" or use a K.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:39 PM
SWCA Member
Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw? Where oh where to find a grip (stock) screw?  
Liked 10,993 Times in 3,961 Posts

A few years ago, I got some from S&W. Just call the customer service number on their website. If you just want one, they may stick it in an envelope and sent it to you gratis. I think all they have now is stainless steel, so if you want a blued one, you may need to go elsewhere.

Brownell's used to have them, but I can't find any on their website today. Maybe I'm not searching correctly? http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...dex.htm?f_a=49

They are not that hard to come by. Someone here may have a stash. I would like a couple of blued ones myself.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:50 PM

I called SW, they no longer have any,but they are in Summer shut down so maybe the person I spoke with did not know??
I am not a flea bay member,

Guess the screws went the way all the stocks did, to the harvesters
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
Default Grip screw

Try these guys. Look under S&W grips

Robertson Trading Post Home
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

There is a regular seller of gunparts on ebay that sells replacement (not made by S&W) grip screws. They work perfectly, but might need to be shortened in some applications. Their screws come only in bright polished white color. I believe that they sell only in packages of 5 each. ....
Old 08-11-2015, 06:47 AM
Liked 7,088 Times in 2,942 Posts

You may wish to try out this seller. Dutch & Gina's. grips, clips & more. Helped me out in the past with a screw problem. [email protected] Bob
Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 13,410 Times in 3,290 Posts

I've got a bag of them somewhere. Send me an email to remind to look and I'll see if I can find them. If so I'll shoot you one.

[email protected]
Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 AM
US Veteran
Liked 1,339 Times in 553 Posts

Gun garage in Arkansas has them.....
JIM...........
Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 AM
US Veteran
Liked 202 Times in 84 Posts

You ain't lookin hard enough.....
Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,417 Posts

Anything here that might work?

SCREWS & Escutcheons!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Liked 675 Times in 355 Posts

Gun Garage in Arkansas!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 AM

I have seen gun garage on E Bay, I am not a E bay subscriber and not Pay Pal
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
I've got a bag of them somewhere. Send me an email to remind to look and I'll see if I can find them. If so I'll shoot you one.

[email protected]

Thanks!!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,470 Posts

If SaxonPig doesn't find his let me know. I have some old beater K frame stocks that I can take the screw from and mail to you.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 08-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Liked 8,135 Times in 3,678 Posts

You will not find a grip screw in any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot or even at Delta Bolt, Screw and Fastener Co. in Baton Rouge, La.
I know because I tried them ALL. I refused to believe you could not walk into a decent hardware store and buy one...guess what...you can't.
The guy at Delta Fastener (that's all they sell nuts ,bolts & screws)looked at the grip screw , measured it, looked for half an hour and came up with nothing...he even made a call to a supplier and they had nothing.

I ordered some extra's screws when ordering grips from Ahrend's Grips and when I ordered grips from Altamont I got some extra's from them.

I'm bad about losing screws and have grips that came without screws, so needed some....for the life of me I can't understand why grip makers use such an oddball thread size.

Now that I think about it Altamont may make grips for S&W...what better souce than the maker.

Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; 08-11-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Question

Thanks to all.

So on the the subject.

is it true SW has their own thread size?? That is kinda weird, a proprietary screw thread??

Any machinists or engineers that know the actual thread. ????Clearly a fine thread.

SAE or Metric?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
Thanks to all.

So on the the subject.

is it true SW has their own thread size?? That is kinda weird, a proprietary screw thread??

Any machinists or engineers that know the actual thread. ????Clearly a fine thread.

SAE or Metric?

After thinking about it I wondered whether on not they were the same thread size as the side plate screws also made at the factory.

They are... I just happen to have a 625-8 apart to install an APEX XP firing pin, I just screwed the grip screw into a non-yoke side plate screw hole, a perfect match.

It makes sense when you consider they would probably use the same screw making machinery at the factory and not change the setup to a different thread size.

They are 5-44... on the new style yoke side plate screw with the spring loaded plunger, it is different.

Or maybe that's standard for a #5 size fine thread screw, which most hardware stores don't carry, as you usually only see the even sized 4-48, 6-40, 8-36 screws for sale.

Now this is a grip screw from a real S&W factory made grip, whether or not Altamont (who started making S&W's grips in the early 90's when S&W stopped making their own in-house) stayed with the same spec is unknown, I don't have any Altamont grips to do the same check.
SWCA #1830 SWHF #222

Last edited by Gunhacker; 08-11-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Liked 1,180 Times in 491 Posts

As gunhacker stated, they're 5-44, same as a sideplate screw (excluding the new spring ones). Just checked a set of old targets and it's the same.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Liked 84 Times in 38 Posts

I have gotten several of the 5-44 ones,(K,L,N frms) and the 3-48 ones,(early J frms), on fleabay,from user...hoxycarman870...about $10 shipped.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

$10 each? Damn...

Never heard of Gun Garage in AR. What city?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

Siloam Springs, AZ.... the sellers name is Al Bolduc. His business card is on his eBay storefront, sells parts for lots of different brands of firearms.
SWCA #1830 SWHF #222

Last edited by Gunhacker; 08-11-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Siloam Springs is in AR not AZ.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,963 Times in 1,951 Posts

Yes, its Arkansas. Al sets up at some local g-shows and is always at Wanenmachers.
IIRC, you can order from his web site and off evilbay.