Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-07-2017, 12:18 AM
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 5,898 Times in 1,224 Posts
Default Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.

I went to my favorite LGS this morning to pick up some .44 Special ammo to feed my Bulldog (Charter Arms....that is!). I did my customary walk about and saw what was left of the police "property room" that yielded the nickle 36 and Model 48 that I posted about a few days ago.

They still have several Ruger Police Service Six models that was apparently a dept issue gun years ago, a Colt Trooper, and an Official Police .32-20 that I had seen on Wednesday afternoon.

As I was about to leave, after talking to one of the clerks for a while, I looked behind the counter on a little workbench where they install night sights etc.

"What's that over there?"
"Oh....just some grips. "
"No. What is that revolver laying under the cloth.?"
"That one came out the property room caked in dried mud so badly you almost couldn't tell what it was. We have been cleaning the outside of it and haven't done it internally yet. It's not out for sale. It's a real mess!"
"May I see it?"

He handed me the revolver. It was obviously very dirty inside. But, it functioned perfectly and locked up like a bank vault.

"What'll ya take "as-is"?
" We're not finished cleaning it. I dunno. I'll ask the boss."

We walked over to the manager who I've done business with many times.

They leaned toward each other and spoke in hushed tones for 10-15 seconds.

The clerk asked " What's your offer?"

Using my best poker face, I said "In this shape.....$200".

The manager chimed in "There's a judge from the area where we got it that wants it to restore. I'm not sure if we can ...."

I played my ace in the hole and reached in my pocket pulling out the money clip that contained my "gun fund" and held it up for him to see. This simple silent act spoke louder than words................ "He's not here. Now is he?"

The manager & I locked eyes like two cowboys about to duel on a dusty street in an old western move. Who would blink first???

He stated simply "I understand. Would you do $300?"

I nodded affirmatively. We did the paperwork and I left with a 4" P&R Model 58 from circa 1969. Serial # S 329xxx

Best,
Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2838.jpg (22.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2837.jpg (22.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by policerevolvercollector; 08-13-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts

What are you going to do with it? customize?, restore?
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:39 AM

Liked 705 Times in 292 Posts

Hmmm...
So what does the bore look like?
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:57 AM

The bore is in very good condition. I'm going to shoot it just like it is after I clean it internally.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Liked 3,587 Times in 1,298 Posts

Not trying to be a richard, but I'd have passed.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 AM
US Veteran
Liked 24,784 Times in 8,482 Posts

I think you did fine. My M544 looks like that and it is a good shooter.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
I understand that not everyone likes the .41 magnum.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 10:35 AM
US Veteran
Liked 33,581 Times in 5,253 Posts

I like it!! I bet it will be a great shooter.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Liked 6,389 Times in 2,215 Posts

Wellllll,
There was still a piece missing from that little showdown....

"I'll meet you halfway at $250."

Old 05-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned
Liked 3,574 Times in 1,163 Posts

I am behind you 100% BUT you must promise to only clean it and shoot it. Steel wool, brass wool, Flitz, lapping compound, I don't care. Just come back with pictures after you have scrubbed you fingers to rawness. Can't wait to see!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,795 Times in 877 Posts

Outstanding shooter! I would rather have that nasty M58 then a safe queen any day of the week! Enjoy shooting that old pig!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Liked 4,674 Times in 2,062 Posts

You probably could have offered $250 and he might have taken it. ,41 aren't all that popular perhaps because of cost and availability of ammo.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Liked 268 Times in 82 Posts

They sure seem popular and expensive on GB.
Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 26,096 Times in 5,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by policerevolvercollector View Post
The bore is in very good condition. I'm going to shoot it just like it is after I clean it internally.
You know what I think I would try? Remember the post a bit back about the torque pounds of various penetrating oils and the simple mixture of 50/50-ATF/Acetone resulting in the lowest? I would get a quart of each, mix in a clean covered container and soak that revolver for a week before I did anything else (after pulling the grips). Sure be a cheap initial run at cleaning it up. I don't think it could hurt anything and it would be interesting to see if it helps with the finish issues.

Last edited by 6518John; 05-07-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Liked 11,624 Times in 3,642 Posts

You sir, are the Jesus of rusty guns. You are determined they can all be saved!
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:00 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 1,229 Times in 338 Posts

As my Old Pappy used to say; "That's Ruffer'n a Cob".
As a .41 cult member, I say; "That's One Fine Truck Gun You Got Yourself".
Old 05-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph7 View Post
Wellllll,
There was still a piece missing from that little showdown....

"I'll meet you halfway at $250."

I don't think $250 was an option because the other clerks were standing around murmuring about how much more they could get if they finished their clean up job. I love to haggle. But, I would have lost him if I had gone there.

Best,
Charles
Old 05-07-2017, 01:15 PM
US Veteran
Liked 50,373 Times in 6,009 Posts

If the pitting isn't too deep when you get it cleaned up, a trip for the gun to S&W for refinishing might result in some pride of ownership rather than settling for utility... Just sayin'.

John
Old 05-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Liked 6,710 Times in 2,418 Posts

Could I live with it like that? I think that I would end up spending enough money that I could have bought a much better one. That said, I applaud your adoption of an orphan and your love of S&Ws.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:57 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,730 Posts

This Model 58,marked LDC(Louisiana Dept of Corrections),has been listed on the state gun trader for several weeks asking $750 with no takers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M58.jpg (76.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:31 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,245 Times in 830 Posts

Adding to the list of steel and brass wool; soak in kroil, and use it with the wool to scrub it down after a couple of days of soaking. Then use some Brownells Oxpho-Blue in crème formula.

You could also remove all the rust and turn it to a "in the white" by soaking in 50% white vinegar and water. It takes less than an hour of soaking in the vinegar solution. You have to get all the rust removed and smoothly polished steel prior to rebluing the gun.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Liked 993 Times in 378 Posts

That gun is right up my alley. Depending on how deep the pits are and the condition of the bore, I'd attempt to restore it. If the pits are too deep, I could fill them in with copper then get it nickel plated. I've seen some pits filled in with micro tig welding. The hard part of welding is finding the proper filler material so that there's no contrast between the welded area vs the non welded area after bluing. Sometimes small slivers of frame material have to be shaved off the inside of the grip frame. Deep pits anywhere on the barrel should be of great concern. I've never had to restore a badly pitted barrel exterior. I purposely don't pick junkers with bad bores or badly pitted barrel exteriors. Too chicken! I have to test fire my restorations.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM
US Veteran

These two, a M544 and a Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20, look like Hades but have excellent bores and chambers. Both are good shooters.

WAR EAGLE!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Liked 158 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by policerevolvercollector View Post
I went to my favorite LGS this morning to pick up some .44 Special ammo to feed my Bulldog (Charter Arms....that is!). I did my customary walk about and saw what was left of the police "property room" that yielded the nickle 36 and Model 48 that I posted about a few days ago.

They still have several Ruger Police Service Six models that was apparently a dept issue gun years ago, a Colt Trooper, and an Official Police .32-20 that I had seen on Wednesday afternoon.

As I was about to leave, after talking to one of the clerks for a while, I looked behind the counter on a little workbench where they install night sights etc.

"What's that over there?"
"Oh....just some grips. "
"No. What is that revolver laying under the cloth.?"
"That one came out the property room caked in dried mud so badly you almost couldn't tell what it was. We have been cleaning the outside of it and haven't done it internally yet. It's not out for sale. It's a real mess!"
"May I see it?"

He handed me the revolver. It was obviously very dirty inside. But, it functioned perfectly and locked up like a bank vault.

"What'll ya take "as-is"?
" We not finished cleaning it. I dunno. I'll ask the boss."

We walked over to the manager who I've done business with many times.

They leaned toward each other and spoke in hushed tones for 10-15 seconds.

The clerk asked " What's your offer?"

Using my best poker face, I said "In this shape.....$200".

The manager chimed in "There's a judge from the area where wee got it that wants it to restore. I'm not sure if we can ...."

I played my ace in the hole and reached in my pocket pulling out the money clip that contained my "gun fund" and held it up for him to see. This simple silent act spoke louder than words................ "He's not here. Now is he?"

The manager & I locked eyes like two cowboys about to duel on a dusty street in an old western move. Who would blink first???

He stated simply "I understand. Who you do $300?"

I nodded affirmatively. We did the paperwork and I left with a 4" P&R Model 58 from circa 1968. Serial # S 329xxx

Best,
Charles
I love basket cases such a wonderful way to pass the time
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Cop View Post
Could I live with it like that? I think that I would end up spending enough money that I could have bought a much better one. That said, I applaud your adoption of an orphan and your love of S&Ws.
hey I know the feeling I am retired but work Part time to feed this rescue need
Old 05-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 1,719 Times in 549 Posts

A functional N-frame S&W for $300 seems like a good buy to me. I sure haven't seen one for sale around here for that kind of price in a long, long time.

If I was a 41 Mag shooter I'd have jumped on it, then had it fine bead blasted and blued. That would yield a perfect shooter, IMO.

Dave
Old 05-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Rust this will sound stupid but a picked up a civil war colt army 1860 at a local yard sale about 3 years ago
thing was so rusted the cylinder was frozen
A guy said Soak it in Molasses , hot water - in a sealed Tupperwear container it will eat the rust off
I gave it a try half bottle of molasses ( tupperwear shoe box size ) flled with hot water
sealed the top
2days later opened it There was a perfect outline of the rusty section on the piece in the top foam
Frozen pieces freed
seems like the molasses as it furments seeks bases of oxygen since the container is sealed it eats the oxygen from the rust
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Liked 490 Times in 276 Posts

Sometimes it's great to have a gun with lots of cosmetic wear because then you aren't hesitant to shoot the thing and knock around with it, like you're supposed to do. I have a model 15 from 1960 that has about 55% finish. I don't worry about it like I do with some of my other old guns.

Have fun with it.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:08 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,282 Posts

"I understand that not everyone likes the .41 magnum."

I love the .41 Magnum and the Model 58.

I'll be Richard and suggest that it is too far gone for my tastes. I can't imagine what you could refinish with to get rid of the rust.

If you polish it until the rust and roughness are gone, you'll have only a real rough J frame left!
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 10,948 Times in 3,946 Posts

Very interesting thread!

I would probably shy away from it, thinking "If it's like that on the outside, what is it like inside?" I would worry that some internal parts need replacing and that they would be unavailable.

On the other hand, some people are more adventurous. How bad can it be inside, especially if the bore and chambers are good?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,763 Times in 3,347 Posts

If it was mine, I'd be refinishing the grips while it went back to S&W for a factory nickel job. I love the 41 Magnums.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Liked 817 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisco View Post
What are you going to do with it? customize?, restore?
He should sell it to the judge for a bargain price of $500.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggernosis View Post
He should sell it to the judge for a bargain price of $500.
Actually, it had a $499.95 price tag on it. I suspect this was going to be the judge's price after they finished cleaning it.

Best,
Charles
Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 PM
US Veteran
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Love to negotiate, nice work!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NNN View Post
Sometimes it's great to have a gun with lots of cosmetic wear because then you aren't hesitant to shoot the thing and knock around with it, like you're supposed to do. I have a model 15 from 1960 that has about 55% finish. I don't worry about it like I do with some of my other old guns.

Have fun with it.
Exactly!!!

My downstairs gun is a Model 15-3 from the mid '70s that has bloodstains all over it. It shoots like a dream. I don't mean to be morbid. But, I think it had only been shot one time before I got it.

Best,
Charles
Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 4,900 Times in 1,701 Posts

...just hope the Judge doesn't find out who "stole" his gun and you get a speeding ticket...I could see 5 years in the county lockup....

Even all cleaned up $4-500 is all anyone would ever give for it... But if the pits aren't too bad send it up to Mag-Na-Port... They could bead blast it and then matte hard chrome for an all-weather handgun...

Nice find...Bob
Old 05-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Liked 1,140 Times in 364 Posts

Expensive door stop
Old 05-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Liked 52,819 Times in 16,468 Posts

Charles is the rescue King. 👍
Old 05-13-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Guy View Post
Expensive door stop
I've never had a reason to shoot a door to stop it. Point taken though. A .357 is probably enough gun for an average door even one that is on a rampage.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 AM
Liked 201 Times in 87 Posts

I'm curious to see the outcome of this one
Old 06-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Liked 7,047 Times in 2,984 Posts

I woulda bought that one too. I bought a 1917 to restore. Had 4 bullets stuck in the bbl. Last one was halfway out of the side of the bbl. Amazed that it was able to be re-barreled and turned into a shooter again. I just bought my first 58. Nice gun. I have to find a set of Magnas for it. TT TH look original and the finish looks 97-98% Hardly a turn line. But someone filled the lettering with the Gold lode stuff. How can I get it out? Without screwing up the original blue. I like my earlier M-57 S serial gun more but this thing does shoot pretty good. The smooth Herretts are a little hard to hold on too for best accuracy with my B'ar loads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7890.JPG (100.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation. Today's Find...... a story of a negotiation.  
Liked 2,226 Times in 875 Posts

Use acetone, cotton balls and an old toothbrush. The acetone won't hurt blueing (not sure about nickle though).

Soak cotton balls in acetone and wipe over gold/silver stuff. Keep wiping with wet cotton balls until stuff starts to smear. Then dip toothbrush in acetone and have at. Repeat both until gold/silver stuff is gone.

Let acetone dry, wipe down S&W and oil outside and wipe clean and Bob's your Uncle!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Liked 2,564 Times in 465 Posts

I would've hesitated!!!

Been looking for a couple of years now for a 41mag that I could use for test loads and different bullets weights on. Don't want to buy a nice one because I plan on put several thousand rounds through it. Some day soon I hope!

Great shooter!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 PM
US Veteran

Charles, did you look closely at the OP in .32-20? I have a 5" OP .32 WCF and it is a fine shooter.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Liked 999 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
$300?! I would have bought that in a heartbeat!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,050 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
If the pitting isn't too deep when you get it cleaned up, a trip for the gun to S&W for refinishing might result in some pride of ownership rather than settling for utility... Just sayin'.
That's what I did a few years back, and I paid somewhat more for my base gun than $300. It came back looking great, totally worth it. Click on the pics for a larger version.

Model 58, refinished by S&W

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
That's what I did a few years back, and I paid somewhat more for my base gun than $300. It came back looking great, totally worth it. Click on the pics for a larger version.

Model 58, refinished by S&W

VERY NICE!!!
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Liked 721 Times in 369 Posts

Nice catch, not many 58s in my part of the country.
Steve
Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Liked 351 Times in 101 Posts

I always like the beaters. Back when I collected vintage bicycles I mostly chose the ugly ones. I would have snatched up that beautiful gun too!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Awesome job! Can't wait to see the direction you take with it.