Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Pants's Avatar
Pants Pants is offline
Member
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston, MA USA
Posts: 359
Likes: 476
Liked 101 Times in 47 Posts
Default How's my pin?

Hey all! I recently picked up this Model 36 from '79 and just noticed the pin isn't exactly even on both sides. Should I have my smith take a look at this? I'd attempt to do it myself, but wasn't sure if the pin went right to left, or left to right. I'll most likely just take it to the pro though.

Oh, and I decided to wax her up tonight for a photo-shoot with my Model 10.
Attached Thumbnails
How's my pin?-img3-jpg   How's my pin?-img4-jpg   How's my pin?-img1-jpg   How's my pin?-img2-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM
H Richard's Avatar
H Richard H Richard is offline
US Veteran
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Central IL
Posts: 16,175
Likes: 6,899
Liked 8,756 Times in 3,985 Posts
Default

If you do not feel confident to drift the pin and don't have the correct cup head punch I would agree, take it to a gunsmith that you "trust". FYI, all S&W pins are neutral, they don't have a specific drift direction.
__________________
H Richard
SWCA1967 SWHF244
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Jack Flash's Avatar
Jack Flash Jack Flash is offline
SWCA Member
How's my pin?  
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,259
Likes: 12,310
Liked 4,429 Times in 1,824 Posts
Default

I had a S&W with a pin protruding on one side like yours is. I took care of it myself with good results.

You can buy the proper cupped point punch from Brownells, but since mine had a well-worn finish to start with, I just used an appropriately sized flat point punch. I put a couple of layers of masking tape all around the pin so if the punch slipped, it would hopefully not damage the finish. I used a small hammer and very lightly tapped the pin. It moved easily. Take it slow and easy or you'll make the pin protrude too much on the other side!

Of course, if my revolver looked as nice as yours, I may have taken it to a pro rather than attempt the adjustment myself. Actually, it wouldn't hurt to leave it as is, so that's what I might do.
__________________
Splittin’ hairs, aint ya Boss?

Last edited by Jack Flash; 05-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 05-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Pants's Avatar
Pants Pants is offline
Member
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston, MA USA
Posts: 359
Likes: 476
Liked 101 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
If you do not feel confident to drift the pin and don't have the correct cup head punch I would agree, take it to a gunsmith that you "trust". FYI, all S&W pins are neutral, they don't have a specific drift direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
I had a S&W with a pin protruding on one side like yours is. I took care of it myself with good results.

You can buy the proper cupped point punch from Brownells, but since mine had a well-worn finish to start with, I just used an appropriately sized flat point punch. I put a couple of layers of masking tape all around the pin so if the punch slipped, it would hopefully not damage the finish. I used a small hammer and very lightly tapped the pin. It moved easily. Take it slow and easy or you'll make the pin protrude too much on the other side!

Of course, if my revolver looked as nice as yours, I may have taken it to a pro rather than attempt the adjustment myself. Actually, it wouldn't hurt to leave it as is, so that's what I might do.
Thank you for the all info!

I think I'll have my guy take a look at it at some point, I don't want to run the risk of banging her up. I want to try and keep her looking decent for a bit. haha What do you think about shooting it in the meantime - will the pin drift any further from shooting it?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2017, 09:20 PM
shakyshoot shakyshoot is online now
Member
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 483
Likes: 44
Liked 305 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Call me Bubba, but I'd take a good heavy piece of wood dowel and put a very slight cup in the end with a drill, then use that to give it a couple of thumps with a mallet. I can't believe you'd mark it up with that, provided you had a good stable way of holding the gun.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Lee's Landing Billy Lee's Landing Billy is offline
Suspended
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Battery Oaks Range, S.C.
Posts: 1,712
Likes: 5,140
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,048 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakyshoot View Post
Call me Bubba, but I'd take a good heavy piece of wood dowel and put a very slight cup in the end with a drill, then use that to give it a couple of thumps with a mallet. I can't believe you'd mark it up with that, provided you had a good stable way of holding the gun.
Hey Bubba, where you been????
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 AM
H Richard's Avatar
H Richard H Richard is offline
US Veteran
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Central IL
Posts: 16,175
Likes: 6,899
Liked 8,756 Times in 3,985 Posts
Default

Shooting it should not have any impact on the pin position. It's probably been where it is since it left the factory.
__________________
H Richard
SWCA1967 SWHF244
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Dr.Lou's Avatar
Dr.Lou Dr.Lou is online now
Member
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,323
Likes: 1,622
Liked 1,608 Times in 670 Posts
Default

I used a delrin punch. Done.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 PM
Muley Gil Muley Gil is online now
US Veteran
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The SW Va Blue Ridge
Posts: 9,270
Likes: 19,600
Liked 5,973 Times in 2,547 Posts
Default

Secure the revolver in a padded vice and tap the pin with a brass punch.
__________________
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #10  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Laketime's Avatar
Laketime Laketime is offline
Member
How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin? How's my pin?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,722
Likes: 1,719
Liked 1,615 Times in 757 Posts
Default

Well I know its attached to a very nice revolver !
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)