Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-09-2018, 09:30 PM
My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's  
Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts
Default My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's

As the title says: this is my new favorite grip combo. Out of all the grips I've tried from Altamont, VZ, stock S&W, and several other rubber atrocities I won't mention... I'm very impressed with the Magna's coupled with a Tyler-T... This combo even fits my big mitts (hence my screen name), and even gives a modicum of pinky finger support. Pics below of my 78' manufactured "J" frame that I got from an Estate Sale back last January... I have a blued version as well that sports the Altamont solid combats but that could change as well once I get to the range as I've yet to shoot with this combo... but it sure pockets well & the wifey likes this combo for her little hands; So she may get the same combo for her Vintage Colt "D" frame "Agent" with original stocks as well depending... I've shied away from the Tyler's in the past due to the long wait time and their antiquated ordering/business model. I circumvented that little nuance by ordering direct from a vendor from GunsAmerica though. A couple more of these little gems might be on the way after a range trip though if they prove as comfortable to shoot as they feel.

Pic of matching Vintage "J" frame from same estate sale sporting aforementioned Altamont's...

Last edited by HamHands; 05-19-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM
My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's My new favorite "J-Frame" grip combo... Magna's w/Tyler-T's  
Liked 636 Times in 375 Posts

SWEET !!!
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Liked 915 Times in 288 Posts

Yeah you rite!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Liked 9,249 Times in 2,273 Posts

Of the three I have the S&W grips and Tyler T works best for me also.

Isaiah 41:10
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Liked 425 Times in 110 Posts

I like the feel of the Tyler T grip as well on the j frames, but I have noticed after removing the T grip, there are two indentations on the front edge of each wood grip left from the Tyler.

On the older j frame(s) that I have, I’m not fond of the damage on excellent condition vintage grips.

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by 2K7; 05-09-2018 at 11:48 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 AM
US Veteran
Liked 15,128 Times in 4,142 Posts

I started my LEO career in 1968, DC Police, and the only modification allowed on our service weapon was a grip adapter. Back then they cost was very little (I only made $6800/yr) and the T Grip was readily available from Joe Phillips Police equipment in DC. Wish I’d bought a gross of them but funds were tight and I was newly married. I still use these little gems.

Last edited by Old cop; 05-12-2018 at 07:41 AM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K7 View Post
I like the feel of the Tyler T grip as well on the j frames, but I have noticed after removing the T grip, there are two indentations on the front edge of each wood grip left from the Tyler.

On the older j frame(s) that I have, I’m not fond of the damage on excellent condition vintage grips.

Anyone else experience this?
Thanks for the heads up. I figured those two brass tabs were so thin I didn't figure that would be a problem. However, this Tyler-T isn't likely going to be removed. Especially if it gets the wifey to carry & practice with either this "J" frame or her "D" frame even more! I seem to remember to the instructions stated when putting these T's on, that less is more when tightening down the grip screw. So I went a hair past snug along with some Purple Loc-Tite on said grip screw so it won't back out under recoil. I've had a problem with yoke and cylinder screws backing out under recoil in my beloved 625, and 629...
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old cop View Post
I started my LEO career in 1968, DC Police, and the only modification allowed on our service weapon was a grip adapter. Back then they cost was very little (I only made $6800/yr) and the T Grip was readily available from Joe Phillips Police equipment in DC. Wish I’d bought s gross of them but funds were tight and I was newly married. I still use these little gems.
It says & means a lot that you still use your "J's" & Tyler T's... What's your favorite load to carry with?

Mine are the Buffalo Bore hard cast full wad cutters with their soft cast LHP's as a close second choice...
Old 05-10-2018, 08:20 AM
US Veteran

I still use some sort of FBI +P load b/c when I needed it on the street it worked.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM
US Veteran
Liked 22,295 Times in 4,529 Posts

I'm another old cop who carried magna grips and a Tyler's T Grip all of my career (well, until we switched to the Glocks, and I couldn't get them to fit!!). I still like them on my revolvers.

Here is one on a 640-1 Pro Series, along with elk magnas by forum member bgmtnman:

Here's my Colt Agent with a T Grip:

A Detective Special with a vintage T Grip:

I too like the feel, and think that the look is great as well.

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 05-10-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Add Photos
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,298 Times in 359 Posts

There is an alternative to TYLER T-Grips for S&W revolvers check out BK- grips I like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
I started my LEO career in 1968, DC Police, and the only modification allowed on our service weapon was a grip adapter. Back then they cost was very little (I only made $6800/yr) and the T Grip was readily available from Joe Phillips Police equipment in DC. Wish I’d bought s gross of them but funds were tight and I was newly married. I still use these little gems.
Old cop, I just consulted my inflation calculator, and $6,800.00 in 1968 dollars would equal $48,763.43 in 2018 dollars. So that was pretty good back then!!

Best Regards, Les
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I still use some sort of FBI +P load b/c when I needed it on the street it worked.
Thank you Sir! I have Buffalo Bore's +P version of that venerable FBI load and will practice with it a bit more based upon your experience with it.

What are your thoughts on the use of hard cast full wad cutters? I've read many accounts and talked to a handful of retired officers that swore by them as being absolutely devastating at stopping a fight... especially when perps were shot in the pelvis area.

Thanks for your experience and insight. I try and never miss a chance to talk to the "been there, done that guys", on this subject matter!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
I'm another old cop who carried magna grips and a Tyler's T Grip all of my career (well, until we switched to the Glocks, and I couldn't get them to fit!!). I still like them on my revolvers.

Here is one on a 640-1 Pro Series, along with elk magnas by forum member bgmtnman:

Here's my Colt Agent with a T Grip:

A Detective Special with a vintage T Grip:

I too like the feel, and think that the look is great as well.

Best Regards, Les
Wow, you have great tastes sir! Beautiful Revo's you have there my friend! Those Stag grips are gorgeous!

I too have a vintage "Agent" with the smooth original stocks that I just might need to add the Tyler-T to... Thanks for sharing!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 01:12 PM
US Veteran
Liked 168 Times in 67 Posts

Model 649 with magna stock and Tyler t-grip works for me.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscampbell View Post
There is an alternative to TYLER T-Grips for S&W revolvers check out BK- grips I like both.

I just checked them out. I might order a pair for my blued M36. I assume they are the same quality of the Tyler "T's"?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Liked 1,256 Times in 458 Posts

I carry either a 640-1 or a 66-1 2 1/2" with magnas and T Grips. Handle well and thin as original magnas. Don't print thru or snag clothes like rubber grip do.

FWIW I use double sided auto body tape under them long-ways with the frame to eliminate the wiggle but YMMV.

Last edited by ExRanger714; 05-11-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM
US Veteran
Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHands View Post
As the title says: this is my new favorite grip combo. Out of all the grips I've tried from Altamont, VZ, stock S&W, and several other rubber atrocities I won't mention... I'm very impressed with the Magna's coupled with a Tyler-T... This combo even fits my big mitts (hence my screen name), and even gives a modicum of pinky finger support. Pics below of my 78' manufactured "J" frame that I got from an Estate Sale back last January... I have a blued version as well that sports the Altamont solid combats but that could change as well once I get to the range as I've yet to shoot with this combo... but it sure pockets well & the wifey likes this combo for her little hands; So she may get the same combo for her Vintage Colt "D" frame "Agent" with original stocks as well depending... I've shied away from the Tyler's in the past due to the long wait time and their antiquated ordering/business model. I circumvented that little nuance by ordering direct from a vendor from GunsAmerica though. A couple more of these little gems might be on the way after a range trip though if they prove as comfortable to shoot as they feel.

Pic of matching Vintage "J" frame from same estate sale sporting aforementioned Altamont's...

I FAVOR THE VINTAGE LOOK, CONCEALABILITY, AND GUN CONTROL OF THE PC MAGNA, AND TYLER-T COMBO. I USE IT ON MY L FRAME, NO-DASH, M686, CONVERTED TO A 7 SHOT, FOR EDC.....

ON MY J FRAME, M642-1, I AM USING A SET OF CRIMSON TRACE, LG-405s.THEY ADDRESS THE ISSUES OF MY COMPROMISED VISION, AND THE SHARP RECOIL OF AN AIR WEIGHT J FRAME, ON A PETITE WOMAN, SUCH AS MY WIFE. THE 405 HAS AN AIR CHAMBER, MOLDED INTO THE COVERED BACK STRAP, THAT EFFECTIVELY REDUCES RECOIL. THEY ARE LONG ENOUGH TO PROVIDE A DECENT GRIP, FOR MEDIUM SIZE HANDS......

WERE IT NOT FOR THIS SETUP, MY M642-1 WOULD BE EQUIPPED LIKE MY M686, AND Ham Hands' J FRAME IS.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 560429_474107049271454_282430067_n.jpg (71.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 552189_419898288025664_217320363_n.jpg (51.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 10391666_106027166079446_5604186_n.jpg (34.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by one eye joe; 05-10-2018 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 05:26 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,458 Times in 3,971 Posts

When I wore a badge, my off duty was a Model 36-1 with magmas and a T grip. I still have that set up but prefer my Model 22-4 with magmas and a T.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one eye joe View Post
I FAVOR THE VINTAGE LOOK, CONCEALABILITY, AND GUN CONTROL OF THE PC MAGNA, AND TYLER-T COMBO. I USE IT ON MY L FRAME, NO-DASH, M686, CONVERTED TO A 7 SHOT, FOR EDC.....

ON MY J FRAME, M642-1, I AM USING A SET OF CRIMSON TRACE, LG-405s.THEY ADDRESS THE ISSUES OF MY COMPROMISED VISION, AND THE SHARP RECOIL OF AN AIR WEIGHT J FRAME, ON A PETITE WOMAN, SUCH AS MY WIFE. THE 405 HAS AN AIR CHAMBER, MOLDED INTO THE COVERED BACK STRAP, THAT EFFECTIVELY REDUCES RECOIL. THEY ARE LONG ENOUGH TO PROVIDE A DECENT GRIP, FOR MEDIUM SIZE HANDS......

WERE IT NOT FOR THIS SETUP, MY M642-1 WOULD BE EQUIPPED LIKE MY M686, AND Ham Hands' J FRAME IS.......
That is a beautiful 7 shot M686 and I agree with everything you said...

There is just something that fits, points, and soaks up recoil just right with the Magna's and this Tyler T. All while keeping it's concealability uncompromised is like having your cake, and eating it too. I'm walking my 1 year old German Shepherd last night in a light rain just before bed; and having one "J" in my right front pocket, and another "J" in my right rear pocket was very comforting. We live in a nice area but around Christmas time our neighborhood had lots of packages stolen, cars being rifled thru, and door locks being turned. It was like a bunch of trash banded together and decided to pilfer and blanket the area. I had an encounter with one that came out of the wood line beside our tennis courts and aggressively started walking directly toward me and my daughter. Lets just say, it knew it made a very bad decision immediately, tucked tail, and sprinted off into neighbor(s) back yards. He must have been high as I'm 6'2", 255lbs and am in very good shape. You just can't count on living in a nice area in lieu of concealed carrying anymore, (if you ever could that is.) So, having two "J" frames that I'm quite good shooting/training with, a Streamlight hand held, and my GSD feels pretty good at 10pm! And the neighbors are all none the wiser what I'm carrying becomes priceless!
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRanger714 View Post
I carry either a 640-1 or a 66-1 2 1/2" with magnas and T Grips. Handle well and thin as original magnas. Don't print thru or snag clothes like rubber grip so.

FWIW I use double sided auto body tape under them long-ways with the frame to eliminate the wiggle but YMMV.
My Tyler T's don't wiggle a millimeter even. But I can see how if it did I'd be annoyed quite a bit. I have "3M" branded double sided tape of different thicknesses in my garage. I'm glad you posted and I'll keep your suggestion in mind if/when needed!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
That is a beautiful 7 shot M686 and I agree with everything you said...

There is just something that fits, points, and soaks up recoil just right with the Magna's and this Tyler T. All while keeping it's concealability uncompromised is like having your cake, and eating it too. I'm walking my 1 year old German Shepherd last night in a light rain just before bed; and having one "J" in my right front pocket, and another "J" in my right rear pocket was very comforting. We live in a nice area but around Christmas time our neighborhood had lots of packages stolen, cars being rifled thru, and door locks being turned. It was like a bunch of trash banded together and decided to pilfer and blanket the area. I had an encounter with one that came out of the wood line beside our tennis courts and aggressively started walking directly toward me and my daughter. Lets just say, it knew it made a very bad decision immediately, tucked tail, and sprinted off into neighbor(s) back yards. He must have been high as I'm 6'2", 255lbs and am in very good shape. You just can't count on living in a nice area in lieu of concealed carrying anymore, (if you ever could that is.) So, having two "J" frames that I'm quite good shooting/training with, a Streamlight hand held, and my GSD feels pretty good at 10pm! And the neighbors are all none the wiser what I'm carrying becomes priceless!
THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS, Ham Hands....

THE PROBLEM WITH LIVING IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD, ESPECIALLY AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME, IS THAT YOU ARE VIEWED AS EASY PREY, BY THE SCUMBAGS WHO INVADE OCCUPIED HOMES, BURGLARIZE AND HI-JACK CARS, AND RAPE AND BRUTALIZE INNOCENT PEOPLE........

WITH THE PHYSICALLY IMPOSING FIGURE THAT YOU PRESENT, SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TO BE HIGH ON DRUGS, A BIT CRAZY--OR BOTH, TO APPROACH YOU, WITH BAD INTENTIONS ! ! ! THE 2 J FRAMES ARE INDEED COMFORTING. I WOULD BE CARRYING A FEW SPEED STRIPS, AS WELL. ESSENTIALLY, THESE JACKALS ARE COWARDS, WHO TRAVEL IN PACKS. YOU NEED TO HAVE ENOUGH AMMO, TO THWART MULTIPLE ASSAILANTS. I LEARNED IN VIETNAM, THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HAVING, "TOO MUCH AMMO".........

I ASSUME THAT YOU CARRY YOUR J FRAMES IN POCKET HOLSTERS. I CARRY MY M642-1 IN A MIKA. A FELLOW FORUM MEMBER, A RETIRED LEO, "LEFTY", WHO IS DBA, "BELL CHARTER OAK HOLSTERS" MAKES SOME VERY INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS. THE QUALITY OF MATERIALS, FIT, FINISH, AND WORKMANSHIP, IS EXCELLENT. HE MAKES ONE, THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE. ITS CALLED "THE NEW YORK RELOAD". ITS AN OWB, BELT HOLSTER, THAT CARRIES TWO J FRAMES. ITS NAME DESCRIBES ITS PURPOSE. I CARRY MY M686+ IN ONE OF HIS CUSTOM LEFT HAND, CROSS DRAWS. TAKE A PEEK AT HIS CATALOG, I THINK YOU'LL BE IMPRESSED. (BTW--HE'S NOT MY UNCLE...lol)

STAY SAFE, BIG GUY......

Last edited by one eye joe; 05-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS, Ham Hands....

THE PROBLEM WITH LIVING IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD, ESPECIALLY AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME, IS THAT YOU ARE VIEWED AS EASY PREY, BY THE SCUMBAGS WHO INVADE OCCUPIED HOMES, BURGLARIZE AND HI-JACK CARS, AND RAPE AND BRUTALIZE INNOCENT PEOPLE........

WITH THE PHYSICALLY IMPOSING FIGURE THAT YOU PRESENT, SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TO BE HIGH ON DRUGS, A BIT CRAZY--OR BOTH, TO APPROACH YOU, WITH BAD INTENTIONS ! ! ! THE 2 J FRAMES ARE INDEED COMFORTING. I WOULD BE CARRYING A FEW SPEED STRIPS, AS WELL. ESSENTIALLY, THESE JACKALS ARE COWARDS, WHO TRAVEL IN PACKS. YOU NEED TO HAVE ENOUGH AMMO, TO THWART MULTIPLE ASSAILANTS. I LEARNED IN VIETNAM, THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HAVING, "TOO MUCH AMMO".........

I ASSUME THAT YOU CARRY YOUR J FRAMES IN POCKET HOLSTERS. I CARRY MY M642-1 IN A MIKA. A FELLOW FORUM MEMBER, A RETIRED LEO, "LEFTY", WHO IS DBA, "BELL CHARTER OAK HOLSTERS" MAKES SOME VERY INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS. THE QUALITY OF MATERIALS, FIT, FINISH, AND WORKMANSHIP, IS EXCELLENT. HE MAKES ONE, THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE. ITS CALLED "THE NEW YORK RELOAD". ITS AN OWB, BELT HOLSTER, THAT CARRIES TWO J FRAMES. ITS NAME DESCRIBES ITS PURPOSE. I CARRY MY M686+ IN ONE OF HIS CUSTOM LEFT HAND, CROSS DRAWS. TAKE A PEEK AT HIS CATALOG, I THINK YOU'LL BE IMPRESSED. (BTW--HE'S NOT MY UNCLE...lol)

STAY SAFE, BIG GUY......
Joe, again you're right on all accounts! We've lived in Roswell, Georgia for the last 10 years and unlike other areas I've lived in the past... Roswell keeps getting nicer and nicer. And it's considered low hanging fruit with high yield compared to risk just like you say!

And absolutely, "they" are ALL cowards and punks! I carry the nickel Smith "J" frame in my right front pocket in a "Nemesis" holster and the blued "J" is worn on the belt @ 4:00 in a Bianchi
"M58" Holster. One loaded with 158 Buffalo Bore soft cast pills and the other with 158gr Hard Cast Buffalo Bore full wad cutters; both standard pressure. I carry two Bianchi speed strip reloads in my left rear pocket and they are filled with 125grain Gold Dots, standard pressure. The Gold Dot's load into the cylinders faster for me... I think it's because they are copper jacketed and they slide into the chamber holes with less resistance than either soft cast and hard cast non jacketed lead bullets. You really can't have too much ammo just like you said!

I really appreciate your wisdom and for your service in Vietnam! I will absolutely look into your buddies website: "Bell Charter Oak Holsters." A great pocket holster and/or a good OWB holster & belt combo is essential to concealed carry; I'm really interested in the Mika pocket holster you carry as I've heard nothing but great things about it.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Joe, again you're right on all accounts! We've lived in Roswell, Georgia for the last 10 years and unlike other areas I've lived in the past... Roswell keeps getting nicer and nicer. And it's considered low hanging fruit with high yield compared to risk just like you say!

And absolutely, "they" are ALL cowards and punks! I carry the nickel Smith "J" frame in my right front pocket in a "Nemesis" holster and the blued "J" is worn on the belt @ 4:00 in a Bianchi
"M58" Holster. One loaded with 158 Buffalo Bore soft cast pills and the other with 158gr Hard Cast Buffalo Bore full wad cutters; both standard pressure. I carry two Bianchi speed strip reloads in my left rear pocket and they are filled with 125grain Gold Dots, standard pressure. The Gold Dot's load into the cylinders faster for me... I think it's because they are copper jacketed and they slide into the chamber holes with less resistance than either soft cast and hard cast non jacketed lead bullets. You really can't have too much ammo just like you said!

I really appreciate your wisdom and for your service in Vietnam! I will absolutely look into your buddies website: "Bell Charter Oak Holsters." A great pocket holster and/or a good OWB holster & belt combo is essential to concealed carry; I'm really interested in the Mika pocket holster you carry as I've heard nothing but great things about it.
AS WE WOULD HAVE LABELLED YOU, WITH ADMIRATION, IN VIETNAM, "YOU HAVE YOUR S*** TOGETHER". BEST WISHES......
Old 05-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Liked 12,275 Times in 1,884 Posts

I totally agree with Magna grips and a grip adapter on a J Frame.

Also works for K, L and N frames.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCCPHD View Post
I totally agree with Magna grips and a grip adapter on a J Frame.

Also works for K, L and N frames.

You know... it never really ocurred to me that an "N" frame could be outfitted with Magna's and a Tyler-T because I'm new to "N's" and have never seen them come with Magna's... But I'll be disappointed in myself if I don't have a set of "N" frame, OEM Magna's and a matching Tyler-T here by this time next week to go on my beloved 629... I love the 629-6 Deluxe grips but they could be improved. I carried the "J" frame I started this thread with today to a kids birthday party my daughter went to at "Stars-N'-Strikes"; that's is in a real "Shart-Stained" part of town just outside Roswell... across the river. Bowled 20+ frames in Khakis and a Polo with the kids and nobody was the wiser. The Magna's and Tyler-T's are a real Gem!

ETA: I love every piece you posted as pics. Is that a 2.5" barreled .44mag/special? If it is...Awww man I hunted one just like that for almost a year but couldn't source one for under $1400. And none were in as good a shape as yours is... So I happily settle on a 629-6 with a 3" barrel. I love that bottom pictured .357 Highway-Patrolman as well. Thanks again for the pics as you've given me the inspiration to set up my N frames with Magna's and a Tyler-T!

Last edited by HamHands; 05-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
AS WE WOULD HAVE LABELLED YOU, WITH ADMIRATION, IN VIETNAM, "YOU HAVE YOUR S*** TOGETHER". BEST WISHES......
You sir are an American Bad-***! You, me, and my father-in-law should hang out. We'd get along like peas in a pod... He was in Vietnam in 70' & 71' as a Second Lieutenant in the Army. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for you guys that served Our Country over there. I never miss a chance to talk to guys like you if they wish to share anything... about anything, about life in general, as first hand wisdom/experience passed down has a value that is worth so very much!!! Thanks for your comments in my thread and your advice as it's much appreciated! God Bless You and Your's My Friend!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 PM
US Veteran

If you like N frames with the Tyler's.....Here's my 27-2 with ivories and a Tyler T Grip:

Another N frame, a 29-3 with ivories and a Tyler:

One more N frame, a 1937 Brazilian.45 with elk service stocks from bgmtnman and a Tyler T Grip:

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 05-12-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add Photos
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 PM
US Veteran

At the other end of the spectrum, here is one of my little "I" frames, a .32 S&W Long caliber, sporting Tylers:

Just a step up in size from the I frame, is the "Baby Chiefs Special" (bottom)... It wears the same size Tyler as the I frame. The J frame chief later became slightly larger, and today's J frames are the "magnum" Js, and still larger. The Baby Chiefs were the smallest 38 special revolvers that Smith ever made, I believe. The top gun is a 32 Regulation Police 3". It too now sports a Tyker T Grip. Haven't taken a more recent photo yet.

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 05-12-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Liked 14,464 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
If you like N frames with the Tyler's.....Here's my 27-2 with ivories and a Tyler T Grip:

One more N frame, a 1937 Brazilian.45 with elk service stocks from bgmtnman and a Tyler T Grip:

Best Regards, Les
Show off!!! Nice collection Les!!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Liked 12,275 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
You know... it never really ocurred to me that an "N" frame could be outfitted with Magna's and a Tyler-T because I'm new to "N's" and have never seen them come with Magna's... But I'll be disappointed in myself if I don't have a set of "N" frame, OEM Magna's and a matching Tyler-T here by this time next week to go on my beloved 629... I love the 629-6 Deluxe grips but they could be improved. I carried the "J" frame I started this thread with today to a kids birthday party my daughter went to at "Stars-N'-Strikes"; that's is in a real "Shart-Stained" part of town just outside Roswell... across the river. Bowled 20+ frames in Khakis and a Polo with the kids and nobody was the wiser. The Magna's and Tyler-T's are a real Gem!

ETA: I love every piece you posted as pics. Is that a 2.5" barreled .44mag/special? If it is...Awww man I hunted one just like that for almost a year but couldn't source one for under $1400. And none were in as good a shape as yours is... So I happily settle on a 629-6 with a 3" barrel. I love that bottom pictured .357 Highway-Patrolman as well. Thanks again for the pics as you've given me the inspiration to set up my N frames with Magna's and a Tyler-T!
The .44 is a 629-6 that was a special run for Camfour Distributors. It is a 2.5 inch .44 magnum with fixed sights. S&W also did a run of 629-5 fixed sight guns for Camfour. I also have a three inch Lew Horton Mag Comp (also called Carry Comp) but don't have a photo of it now. It is a fixed sight gun also. The front sight is set back and there is a comp in front of it. This gun wears Ahrends Retro Banana grips. The last photo is not a Model 28. It is a 27-2 with a 3.5 inch barrel.

Last edited by WCCPHD; 05-12-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Best Regards, Les
Oh my... you are going to get me in trouble with the wifey when she sees my/our CC statement in June! Yes, I'm going to outfit my "N's" with take off Magna's sourced online and Tyler-T's for sure now. Maybe I can recoup half of the cost by selling the Altamont's that came on my "N" 629, the Jerry Miculeks on the 625, and the Altamonts I put on the "J" frames initially. Wow Les.B... some wonderful Revo's you have there. And I'm a Lee Marvin fan also! I'm 40 years old this year and they just don't produce actors like him, John Wayne, or Charles Bronson anymore... Thanks again for sharing those wonderful revolver/grip pics as I know they are going to be a welcomed addition for sure!

ETA: That 27, 29, and 1937 Brazilian are drool worthy! As well as all in the subsequent post, especially the flat latch M36 and "I" frame as well. You have some nice tastes!

Last edited by HamHands; 05-13-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Best Regards, Les
Oh my... you are going to get me in trouble with the wifey when she sees my/our CC statement in June! Yes, I'm going to outfit my "N's" with take off Magna's sourced online and Tyler-T's for sure now. Maybe I can recoup half of the cost by selling the Altamont's that came on my "N" 629, the Jerry Miculeks on the 625, and the Altamonts I put on the "J" frames initially. Wow Les.B... some wonderful Revo's you have there. And I'm a Lee Marvin fan also! I'm 40 years old this year and they just don't produce actors like him, John Wayne, or Charles Bronson anymore... Thanks again for sharing those wonderful revolver/grip pics as I know they are going to be a welcomed addition for sure!

ETA: That 27, 29, and 1937 Brazilian are drool worthy! As well as all in the subsequent post, especially the flat latch M36 and "I" frame as well. You have some nice tastes!
Old 05-13-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCCPHD View Post
The .44 is a 629-6 that was a special run for Camfour Distributors. It is a 2.5 inch .44 magnum with fixed sights. S&W also did a run of 629-5 fixed sight guns for Camfour. I also have a three inch Lew Horton Mag Comp (also called Carry Comp) but don't have a photo of it now. It is a fixed sight gun also. The front sight is set back and there is a comp in front of it. This gun wears Ahrends Retro Banana grips. The last photo is not a Model 28. It is a 27-2 with a 3.5 inch barrel.
I thought that was a 629 w/2.5" barrel. I love the rear trench style sight. It's an all business piece for sure! I really did look for one just like yours for the better part of a year on GB... I decided a 3" 629-6 is the closest I was going to get that wasn't $1400 and I could still run a steady diet of semi-jacketed, lead flat point 300grain and 255grain Hard Cast "Keith's" out of for Woods Loads... Nice revolvers for sure!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 PM
Liked 4,377 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
...What are your thoughts on the use of hard cast full wad cutters? I've read many accounts and talked to a handful of retired officers that swore by them as being absolutely devastating at stopping a fight...
We were issued .38 Special LSWC and LSWC-HP OTJ. I have seen the LSWC-HP expand out of a four inch barrel, but NEVER out of a two or three inch barrel. We were issued LHBWC for qualifification. Many, many carried the LHBWC on duty 'forgetting' to switch over.

The 148 grain target load worked just fine at putting down bad guys on the street.

Today both my wife and I carry Buffalo Bore 150 grain hardcast flat based wadcutters in our M640 and M49 EDCs. We carry BB 158 grain LSWC as reloads in Bianchi Speed Strips because they go into the cylinder faster than a full wadcutter. I would be fine with a 158 grain LSWC-HP, but I would not expect for it to expand from a snubby.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomkinsSP View Post
We were issued .38 Special LSWC and LSWC-HP OTJ. I have seen the LSWC-HP expand out of a four inch barrel, but NEVER out of a two or three inch barrel. We were issued LHBWC for qualifification. Many, many carried the LHBWC on duty 'forgetting' to switch over.

The 148 grain target load worked just fine at putting down bad guys on the street.

Today both my wife and I carry Buffalo Bore 150 grain hardcast flat based wadcutters in our M640 and M49 EDCs. We carry BB 158 grain LSWC as reloads in Bianchi Speed Strips because they go into the cylinder faster than a full wadcutter. I would be fine with a 158 grain LSWC-HP, but I would not expect for it to expand from a snubby.
I can add another mental note as yet one more police officer that attests to the target-load/wad cutter at stopping a fight. Thank you for sharing that !

We carry the same exact loads in our "J frames" and Colt "D" frame... The 150gr hard cast full WC from Buffalo Bore reaches a true 850fps out of a 1&7/8th inch J frame. I haven't chrono'd the Colt (because my wife always has it with her), but I'm sure it's close. BB's 158 grain, LSWC-HP probably won't expand. I agree, to get expansion you need a barrel double the length. I believe you, like me, are looking for a snubby round that hits with a hard smack and deep penetration rather than expansion.

I find a fully jacketed bullet to load the fastest out of a Bianchi speed strip as they slide right in. Now if we are talking Moon Clip equipped revo's like my 625... BB's 255 grain .45Super HC semi-wad-cutters are lightning fast for a reload. They align and drop right in with almost zero effort.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Liked 141 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:

Best Regards, Les
Les,
I hope you know that possession of that requires that you mine gold in South America wearing a cool hat.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:43 PM
US Veteran

Thanks, Continental Op, but I have been working on it a little since I posted above...I was waiting for the right barrel to come along...here is the same gun, but with a 3 1/4" barrel:

HamHands, please forgive the thread drift!! But you might be interested in the load that I have worked up for it, which seems to shoot just fine (really limited test so far...will post more later. But with .45 Auto Rim cases, and a big, heavy, semi wadcutter, hard cast, kubricated bullet (see the load data on the target), it seems to group pretty well. I admit that this project has just been a labor of love, but I would feel pretty confident in this combination of gun and cartridge in a self defense scenario. It also shoots regular .45 ACP rounds pretty well, but not quite as accurately.

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 06-09-2018 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Add a photo
Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,298 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Continental Op, but I have been working on it a little since I posted above...I was waiting for the right barrel to come along...here is the same gun, but with a 3 1/4" barrel:

HamHands, please forgive the thread drift!! But you might be interested in the load that I have worked up for it, which seems to shoot just fine (really limited test so far...will post more later. But with .45 Auto Rim cases, and a big, heavy, semi wadcutter, hard cast, kubricated bullet (see the load data on the target), it seems to group pretty well. I admit that this project has just been a labor of love, but I would feel pretty confident in this combination of gun and cartridge in a self defense scenario. It also shoots regular .45 ACP rounds pretty well, but not quite as accurately.

Best Regards, Les

That sir is one beautiful gun.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:15 PM

Les.B, no apologies needed! I love .45Auto-Rims, .45ACP's, and .45Super loads... Thanks for sharing that beautiful piece sir! Nice groups with that .45AR load you cooked up too!

Feel free to post similar loads in .44Special if you have any you want to share as that is eclipsing my favorite caliber as of late, the .45acp... I'm putting together/gearing up to start reloading for .44Special/Mag, .45ACP, and .223/5.56 within the next month by cobbling together a Dillon press and some Hornady accessories/dies, tumbler, resizer, etc from an estate sale. For .44Special I'm looking to duplicate Underwoods 255grain Hard Cast Keith Gas Check load clocking at 1,000 fps as it performs stellar out of my 3" barreled 629. Below is an 11Second video link of me shooting from 13 yards at steel last Saturday with that very revolver and load combo...

https://i.imgur.com/EGfItCH.mp4
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM
US Veteran
Liked 414 Times in 91 Posts

Put these on my off duty in 1968. Made a big difference.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb1 View Post
Put these on my off duty in 1968. Made a big difference.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Now that is an ol' bad *** war horse that certainly has the "Been there done that" look going for her. I love it! Used but not abused is awesome! "J" frames and "N" frames have become my favorite revolvers by far. 4" Commander 1911's and 9mm compact CZ's are my favorite semi-auto's by far! All of them have a purpose/specific duty and are carried accordingly depending on "where" I'm going and the dress code/attire. Thanks for sharing JoeB1... I appreciate it. Feel free to post more pics of her and others like it if you get the chance!
Old 06-10-2018, 07:15 PM
US Veteran

I’ve begun putting the wood boot grips on my J frames b/c I need a bit more girth due to my XLG hands. The T Grips work OK but the gun will twist on recoil and the boot grip helps alleviate that.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Liked 1,278 Times in 255 Posts

I have several with Tyler T here is one, my first year highway patrol with grashorn grips,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 06-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Liked 1,424 Times in 577 Posts

Over the years I've defaulted to magna or service stocks and a Tyler or BK adapter on a revolver with fixed sights, regardless of barrel length, and on any adjustable sighted one with a 5" or shorter barrel. The 544 in 44/40 I just bought came with smooth target stocks and I switched them out for Magna and an adapter. I've got long hands and they just fit better, give better purchase.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
Over the years I've defaulted to magna or service stocks and a Tyler or BK adapter on a revolver with fixed sights, regardless of barrel length, and on any adjustable sighted one with a 5" or shorter barrel. The 544 in 44/40 I just bought came with smooth target stocks and I switched them out for Magna and an adapter. I've got long hands and they just fit better, give better purchase.
I couldn't agree more!

I have big, meaty hands... Hence my screen name... I played sports and keep in shape doing dead lifts, pull-ups, the whole gamut I learned in high-school and college because knee, hip, shoulder, and wrist joints hurt so much worse when you don't have a dedicated exercise regiment from my experience... especially now that I'm the big 4 and 0 so to speak... Your hands get "thicker" over time I'm finding from the aforementioned. I've discovered 1911's and CZ P-01's with VZ's slim line "Alien" grips and Magna's with Tyler-T's on all my revolvers; to be the pinnacle of grip purchase, recoil mitigation, concealability, & pleasurable handgun shooting. YMMV... and most importantly You have to find what works the best for You!

You guys have made this thread awesome with all your advice and pics of your woods/carry revolvers. Keep them coming please!

Last edited by HamHands; 06-16-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Syntax:
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM
US Veteran

Can't seem to get away from the Tyler T Grip. I picked up this 1965 Colt Detective Special yesterday, and it came with a Tyler already installed!!

Best Regards, Les