Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 10-10-2018, 03:16 AM
could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection  
Liked 24,204 Times in 5,135 Posts
Default could be the last one I add to my small collection

Picked up another shooter, M-27.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:55 AM
could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection  
Liked 683 Times in 291 Posts

Nice gun, I picked up my last one about 10 guns ago.
Walt
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 AM

Liked 463 Times in 265 Posts

I am on the same page , I picked up a 1958 oct model 27 6.5 inch blue ,with Gold box , mine has large grip with no thumb relieve . I keep looking , I passed on a nickle 34/22 also a 3in 629 no lock for 640 bucks you cant buy them all .
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 36,120 Times in 4,524 Posts

I gave up buying guns 20 years ago. had a nice assorted collection.i don't even want to think about the guns I have bought in the last 6 months, or the 3rd mod. 28 coming tomorrow
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:24 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 11,892 Times in 2,719 Posts

Ok, I'll play. Absolutely my last one; last one last week anyway.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27-2.jpg (38.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 27-2 1977.jpg (39.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 27-2 6 inch .jpg (69.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Nice gun, I picked up my last one about 10 guns ago.
Walt
LOL That right there is funny.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triaxle View Post
I am on the same page , I picked up a 1958 oct model 27 6.5 inch blue ,with Gold box , mine has large grip with no thumb relieve . I keep looking , I passed on a nickle 34/22 also a 3in 629 no lock for 640 bucks you cant buy them all .
Mine didn't come with a box and its been shot a lot.

I picked up a 27-7 and thought it would be cool to have a 27.

I plan on shooting this one a lot.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narragansett View Post
I gave up buying guns 20 years ago. had a nice assorted collection.i don't even want to think about the guns I have bought in the last 6 months, or the 3rd mod. 28 coming tomorrow
I only have one 28, a 28-2. I've shot it tons years ago.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22hipower View Post

Jeff
SWCA #1457
that's sure it a pretty one - mine needs a good cleaning - I'll get that done as soon as I can - probably next week
Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM
US Veteran
Liked 18,214 Times in 5,013 Posts

That's a nice looking shooter.

I thought I picked up this "last one" last month. That didn't work so well for me -- another Baby Chiefs landed at the lgs Friday.

One of these days I'll find that last one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '81 engraved.jpg (85.3 KB, 416 views)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiranch View Post
I only have one 28, a 28-2. I've shot it tons years ago.
Well, actually mine are 28-2. 2@4" 1968, and 1 @ 6" 1974
Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22hipower View Post

Jeff
SWCA #1457
What is it?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM
US Veteran
Liked 1,189 Times in 509 Posts

It's easy to quit. I have done it lot's of times.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:59 AM
US Veteran
Liked 5,738 Times in 2,220 Posts

I too, about 10 years ago, stopped buying and adding guns to my collection.
That was about the same time that I started the accumulation of S&W.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM
US Veteran
Liked 5,634 Times in 1,398 Posts

I've figured out a way to absolutely obtain that elusive "last one".

It involves what the Legal Beagles call a "codicil" to your will. It appears that by adding a codicil it becomes an amendment, or addition, to your will and has to be honored by the Executor.

So mine will state:
1. In addition to the hearse or whatever contains my remains for transport to the cemetery, I want a Ford F 250 dually to carry 2 gun safes
2. On the way to the plot, the convoy, entourage, procession or whatever they call it is to stop at my favorite LGS (to be defined later), and using funds dedicated, purchase any Smith & Wesson pre-lock in the case.
3. Install said new purchase in one of the safes.
4. Dump all items in same hole I'm in
5. Post pics of all guns on the S&W CA Forum, and ask for preservation ideas for perpetuity.

Ya think a bit over the top, or just another sane idea from a accumulator that can't seem to thin the herd?
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Liked 10,022 Times in 3,676 Posts

The only thing I'm looking for is a 1905 last model 32/20 Target
in mint condition for between $50 and $100. So far not much luck
Old 10-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Liked 4,674 Times in 2,062 Posts

It will be the last one I buy till I see the next one I got to have.
The last time I said I will not be buying anymore guns till they come out with a gun like used in star wars I bought a new shotgun a week later.

I have to say as far as handguns go I don't have much interest in another safe queen collector gun and I feel quite satisfied with my current carry. I also have several queens for carry if I feel a change is needed. I never was much for having things just taking up space sitting on shelves. I feel that way about guns now it seems. My last big purchase, over $900, was a S&W 627-5 and it has become a queen in its original box with papers. LOL I just had to have that 8 shot 357.

cman I suggest you don't tell anyone where your burial plot is because it will surely be dug up and only your bones be left in the covered back up grave.

Last edited by gman51; 10-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Liked 594 Times in 263 Posts

Beautiful gun, Ranch,
I came down with the S&W fever, drinking lots of fluids and taking antibiotics hasn’t helped at all
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-bit cowboy View Post

I thought I picked up this "last one" last month. That didn't work so well for me -- another Baby Chiefs landed at the lgs Friday.

Nice looking Baby you have there.

I only have one engraved handgun, this 29-2 and according to some paperwork I have it was done at the factory.

This one will be going up for sale pretty soon.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM

I'm pretty sure this will be the last of the handguns. I am going to get 1 or 2 more FALs.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Liked 9,320 Times in 4,181 Posts

Sure, you could quit with that gun, but why? Nobody admires a quitter! Every gun I buy after about nine pm is the last gun I plan to buy... that day!

Froggie
Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Liked 1,564 Times in 660 Posts

OP, Is that a no dash 6 1/2"?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Sure, you could quit with that gun, but why? Nobody admires a quitter!
Froggie
LOL - good point
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb View Post
OP, Is that a no dash 6 1/2"?
Yes, its a no dash 6.5" and I'm looking forward to shooting it.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post

I'm not sure what my next last one will be.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:12 PM
US Veteran
Liked 5,634 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
My final addition was also a 27.

The gun show on Saturday was a bust, so I came home and went to the pawn shop at the end of my street. I bought this 27-2 for $613. I like the buyers market we find ourselves in. This was my final gun.

I put the gun in my truck, then walked next door to the LGS and bought my other last gun. This is a fiddy one K38 in top condition. I got this one for $500.

I'm not sure what my next last one will be.
Holy Schnike Trout, That's going to leave a mark! (on your wallet that is).

How can you possibly sleep at night with a pawn shop at the end of your street, AND a LGS next door, BOTH with prices like those on gorgeous Smiths like that?

I guess the only thing better would be for those that are selling those Smiths to the pawn shop or the LGS IF only they would stop at your house first to ask about what they would expect to get at shop a or b and you would obviously help them with "perceived value"

Color me envious!
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM
SWCA Member

Well, I hate to say this, but I need one more gun. Why, because I have olive woos Culina grips for a stainless K frame. Probably a nice 66.

it is getting pretty bad when you go out and buy the grips so you have to get the gun

I have a hundred rounds of 308 ammo, and I have never had a 308. So what does that mean?

i have scopes with no rifle

Guess I am in pretty bad shape.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
If only they had the exact guns I wanted at the exact time I wanted them.

The rest of the story... both guns had been sitting in their respective glass cabinets for a long long time (the 27-2 for 18 months). The market is truly depressed. The 27-2 was marked $799 (with rubber Hogues, toe jam, and belly button fuzz) and the K38 marked $600. I've had my eye on them for a long time, trying to chip away at the prices. The stars just happened to align on Saturday.

The LGS is usually not willing to bargain, but I got the new guy helping me out on Saturday. He asked what I wanted to pay and I said $500 out the door. He laughed out loud and said that ain't gonna happen. Then he offered to knock off $35. The other sales guy there says "let me see that gun", and takes it from the new guy. Then says (pointing to me), "he buys a lot of guns from us... sell it to him for $500 plus tax." I had to buy it just to spite the new guy. I was morally obligated.
So far I have resisted buying M27's. That is another whole world. As long as there are nice 28's around, i will stay there. same gun, less options and barrel lengths, and finish
Old 10-10-2018, 02:45 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,315 Times in 4,759 Posts

Quote:

Great looking Model 27!!! Congrats. Do you mind sharing the SN range on that great gun?

Quote:

could be the last one I add to my small collection-81-engraved-jpg

I love those carved up Chiefs ... I picked up a couple of them a few "last guns" ago...

Last edited by RKmesa; 10-10-2018 at 02:51 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Liked 1,564 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Yes, its a no dash 6.5" and I'm looking forward to shooting it.
Very nice. I picked one up from Armslist a few years back just like yours including the beautiful targets and trigger shoe. Some say the 6 1/2" 4 screw are hard to find. Enjoy.

Last edited by markeb; 10-10-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM
US Veteran
Liked 18,214 Times in 5,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
I love those carved up Chiefs ...
Me, too. That is my "first" "last one."
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM
US Veteran
could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection could be the last one I add to my small collection  
Liked 18,638 Times in 4,777 Posts

Last one?
I'm still looking for my next one.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I hate to say this, but I need one more gun. Why, because I have olive woos Culina grips for a stainless K frame. Probably a nice 66.

it is getting pretty bad when you go out and buy the grips so you have to get the gun

I have a hundred rounds of 308 ammo, and I have never had a 308. So what does that mean?

i have scopes with no rifle

Guess I am in pretty bad shape.
I stocked up on .22 LR ammo for quite a while and didn't own a .22. Just figured that ne day I would.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
So far I have resisted buying M27's. That is another whole world. As long as there are nice 28's around, i will stay there. same gun, less options and barrel lengths, and finish
The only reason I picked this one is because I have a 27-7 and this one was on the other end, just a 27.

I had no intention of getting one until I saw it and that's all it took.

Last edited by rubiranch; 10-10-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Liked 12,739 Times in 3,480 Posts

I'm 71 and it's terminal; no known cure, so I'm not seeking treatment
Old 10-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
Great looking Model 27!!! Congrats. Do you mind sharing the SN range on that great gun?
Thank you and not at all, S198xxx
Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb View Post
Very nice. Enjoy.
I will. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:

If I had $10 for everytime I said, "This is going to be the last one" I'd have $500 cash in my pocket right now!

Seriously nice score OP! How do you feel about the trigger shoe? Do you like them? Are they a must have? I'm used to my 70's J frames and 85' Manufactured Lew Horton M29-3's ribbed triggers and my new to me 3" Mountain Back Packer has a smooth trigger manufactured in 2000'... I'm thinking I might like a trigger shoe if you give it a thumbs up!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Liked 2,259 Times in 694 Posts

I made a New Years resolution this year. "NO MORE GUNS!" That lasted until Jan. 3. Counting the one on layaway now, that will be 6 so far this year. I am not addicted, I can quit anytime I want! Ya, sure.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Liked 772 Times in 318 Posts

Last one OP, those are the most "famous last words" (i.e. never again, I give up, promise, etc).
Old 10-10-2018, 06:44 PM

I look at it this way, if you buy quality classic guns you can see
where you money's at. Buy high condition shooters and you can
enjoy shooting them. Keep in good condition and you won't lose
a dime. Buy second rate stuff and you end up with used stuff that
has no value compared to purchase price. Trigger time is to valuable to waste.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
I stocked up on .22 LR ammo for quite a while and didn't own a .22. Just figured that ne day I would.
i still have 22 ammo that is 1.69/hundred.....Remington
Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,315 Times in 4,759 Posts

Quote:
Good luck... My first N-Frame 357 was a 5-screw Highway Patrolman. I thought, "why would I ever need to own a model 27?" ... and then I bought one and like opening a can of Pringles, I have not been able to stop at just one - and if chips in the can were Model 27's (and their predecessors), I'm probably on my second or third can...
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Liked 3,510 Times in 957 Posts

I quit saying "its the last one". If there's one thing I hate its a liar.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHands View Post
If I had $10 for everytime I said, "This is going to be the last one" I'd have $500 cash in my pocket right now!

Seriously nice score OP! How do you feel about the trigger shoe? Do you like them? Are they a must have? I'm used to my 70's J frames and 85' Manufactured Lew Horton M29-3's ribbed triggers and my new to me 3" Mountain Back Packer has a smooth trigger manufactured in 2000'... I'm thinking I might like a trigger shoe if you give it a thumbs up!
You'd be half way to your next last gun. LOL

I had to ask what they were in another post, never seen them before and had no idea what they were.

I haven't shot this one yet but hopefully I can get some rounds thru it next week and decide if I like it or not.

The trigger shoe might be advantageous for target shooting.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddietruett View Post
I quit saying "its the last one". If there's one thing I hate its a liar.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 PM
could be the last one I add to my small collection  
Liked 15,090 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote:

Oh my TBC ....... that’s kind of ...... SPECTACULAR!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:48 AM

If I add one more it will be a nice 29-2 with a 6.5" barrel and possibly another .45 auto.

So far I've ended up with way more than I ever expected to.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Hind sight is always 20/20. I'm 68 and started young. I got a 22
rifle for my 5th birthday and that ruined me. At this period of time a lot of the guns that are now collectors items were just
used guns. If I had all the guns that went through my hands back
then I would be a millionaire. In my life I have only bought around 150 guns new. I can't even begin to estimate how many
used guns I have bought or took on trade. Now I find myself
looking to buy guns that I had back then. Like K32s, S&W Russians, Lugers, P38s and such. The big difference is they aren't
$20 anymore.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
You'd be half way to your next last gun. LOL

I had to ask what they were in another post, never seen them before and had no idea what they were.

I haven't shot this one yet but hopefully I can get some rounds thru it next week and decide if I like it or not.

The trigger shoe might be advantageous for target shooting.
Ok great! Please come back here and report after the range day!

And yes, $500 is not even half of the price each for the last (2) Smiths I've bought since July...