Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 PM
Lahti35 Lahti35 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 14
Liked 57 Times in 7 Posts
Default NOS Model 10

Picked this up recently and shot it for the first time today, flawless function and a tack driver. Made in '67 or so. I've got a Tyler T-grip on the way for it.
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-img_20201017_215605057-jpg   NOS Model 10-img_20201017_215756057-jpg   NOS Model 10-img_20201017_215933437-jpg   NOS Model 10-img_20201017_215839909-jpg   NOS Model 10-img_20201017_215828451-jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:29 PM
Art Doc's Avatar
Art Doc Art Doc is offline
SWCA Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The kidney of Dixie.
Posts: 10,306
Likes: 48
Liked 12,586 Times in 3,135 Posts
Default

I have a 5" Model 10-7 that I bought new in 1979 and fired 6 rounds through it. Been in the box in a drawer ever since.
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-moms-m10-jpg  
__________________
No life story has happy end.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 PM
RGNewell's Avatar
RGNewell RGNewell is offline
Vendor
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 523
Likes: 257
Liked 1,068 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Really nice

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
__________________
MAGNUMCARRY.COM
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 10-17-2020, 11:10 PM
Valmet's Avatar
Valmet Valmet is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,728
Likes: 1,773
Liked 2,329 Times in 1,248 Posts
Default

Thatís a great looking old Model 10. Itíll look slick with the T-grip. Hopefully you picked one up secondhand or itíll be awhile.
__________________
Some Might Say.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-17-2020, 11:18 PM
Lahti35 Lahti35 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 14
Liked 57 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmet View Post
Thatís a great looking old Model 10. Itíll look slick with the T-grip. Hopefully you picked one up secondhand or itíll be awhile.
Thanks! I saw it on display and it called my name.

I wish the grip was second hand on ebay or something but its not. I sent the check out this week so hopefully in 2-3 weeks as the website says... I ordered a J frame T grip also to have on hand when I get a 442 shortly so I don't have to wait again.

I wasn't sure about polished or brushed aluminum so I went with polished, I can always scotch-brite it if the polished is too much.

Last edited by Lahti35; 10-18-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2020, 12:38 AM
JP@AK's Avatar
JP@AK JP@AK is offline
US Veteran
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 11,300
Likes: 3,710
Liked 11,868 Times in 4,600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahti35 View Post
Made in '67 or so.
Very interesting. It has non-diamond Magna stocks, so 1967 or later makes some sense. But here's the oddity. The box does not have the Bangor Punta name on the top, where the company name is. BP took over S&W in 1965, and the new boxes showed up soon afterwards. Sure, some hung around for a while and shipped after the new boxes were in stock. But two years is a long time and I don't believe I've ever seen one that shipped two or three years after 1965. Does the serial number on the box end label match the number on the butt of the gun? And what is the serial number, anyway? By 1967, it should be a high C number. The D numbers started in 1968.

Nice revolver you have there, by the way!
__________________
Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 10-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Lahti35 Lahti35 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 14
Liked 57 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP@AK View Post
Very interesting. It has non-diamond Magna stocks, so 1967 or later makes some sense. But here's the oddity. The box does not have the Bangor Punta name on the top, where the company name is. BP took over S&W in 1965, and the new boxes showed up soon afterwards. Sure, some hung around for a while and shipped after the new boxes were in stock. But two years is a long time and I don't believe I've ever seen one that shipped two or three years after 1965. Does the serial number on the box end label match the number on the butt of the gun? And what is the serial number, anyway? By 1967, it should be a high C number. The D numbers started in 1968.

Nice revolver you have there, by the way!
Interesting stuff!

The serial number on the gun and box match, it is a C prefix number. I took a pic of the label, and the price tag for giggles and grins... Wish I got it for that price, lol!
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-img_20201018_104026492-jpg   NOS Model 10-img_20201017_215617297-2-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 AM
JP@AK's Avatar
JP@AK JP@AK is offline
US Veteran
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 11,300
Likes: 3,710
Liked 11,868 Times in 4,600 Posts
Default

Okay. So the box is original, just a late shipper for that style. I will make a note of this - latest one I've seen. Not too surprising I guess, since some of the gold boxes were shipped as late as the early 1960s on some models.

The price is about what I would expect in the late 1960s. I just checked a 1965 Gun Digest and the list price for a blued Model 10 was $65. With the nickel finish, it was $70. No difference in price between the tapered barrel (Model 10-5) and the heavy barrel (Model 10-6).
__________________
Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2020, 11:27 AM
VaTom VaTom is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 1,269
Likes: 5,162
Liked 2,705 Times in 756 Posts
Default

Very Nice. I like the standard (tapered) barrel. Great revolvers. Carried one during the 1970's as an LEO. Ours were nickel.
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-img_1437-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 10-18-2020, 11:49 AM
tenntex32's Avatar
tenntex32 tenntex32 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 1,216
Likes: 745
Liked 1,957 Times in 771 Posts
Default

I have a 1973'ish factory nickel 10-5.

While it doesn't necessarily fit my collection I just had to have it when I saw it. These are pics of when I first received it and there was still dried grease/preservative on it in places, and the butt pic is an example of what I am talking about. It cleaned up very nicely and I need to get some current pics of it. I have resisted the urge to polish the nickel finish thus far since it did clean up rather nicely.

Jack, when did S&W switch to the light blue boxes? My box is also the original matching serial numbered box.
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-9-jpg   NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-14-jpg   NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-23-jpg   NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-11-jpg   NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-4-jpg  


Last edited by tenntex32; 10-18-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #11  
Old 10-18-2020, 12:00 PM
jjfitch jjfitch is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 230
Likes: 48
Liked 216 Times in 115 Posts
Default

As I recall I purchased a new M14 in 66'. I drooled over it for months saving up the $68 dollars! My pay at the time, for a 20 year old ("telephone company") was a little over $2 an hour!

That M14 set the hook! Everybody I knew at the time was ordering their DCM 1911's! I still have that gun and it has more than a few thousand rounds fired in PPC and Distinguished Revolver matches.

As a Deputy and Range Master I worked in the armory at times doing maintenance and cleaning the inventory.

There were around 30 M10's in the inventory. Every single one shot to POA!

Smiles,
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #12  
Old 10-18-2020, 12:14 PM
JP@AK's Avatar
JP@AK JP@AK is offline
US Veteran
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 11,300
Likes: 3,710
Liked 11,868 Times in 4,600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntex32 View Post
Jack, when did S&W switch to the light blue boxes?
Should I assume you mean the silver/gray boxes, like the one in your picture? If so, they showed up at the same time as the blue two-piece box, c. 1956. SCSW says 1957, but I have at least two in my safe that shipped in 1956.

The difference is that the silver/gray boxes were used to ship revolvers with the nickel finish. Blued guns, as well as anodized aluminum frame guns (the Airweights) shipped in the blue boxes during the same period.

When the BP boxes appeared (late 1965 or early 1966), the border around the top surface changed from a solid line to a hashmark line. This was true on both the blue and silver/gray boxes.

I hope this answers your question.
__________________
Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318

Last edited by JP@AK; 10-18-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-18-2020, 12:20 PM
tenntex32's Avatar
tenntex32 tenntex32 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 1,216
Likes: 745
Liked 1,957 Times in 771 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP@AK View Post
Should I assume you mean the silver/gray boxes, like the one in your picture? If so, they showed up at the same time as the blue two-piece box, c. 1956. SCSW says 1957, but I have at least two in my safe that shipped in 1956.

The difference is that the silver/gray boxes were used to ship revolvers with the nickel finish. Blued guns, as well as anodized aluminum frame guns (the Airweights) shipped in the blue boxes during the same period.

When the BP boxes appeared (late 1965 or early 1966), the border around the top surface changed from a solid line to a hashmark line. This was true on both the blue and silver/gray boxes.

I hope this answers your question.
Thanks! I never knew they used a different color box for nickeled finish revolvers. I had simply (incorrectly) chalked it up to box changes made over time.

This is my only S&W example with a factory cardboard box. I am way way out of my realm of knowledge if not discussing the M1917 and Victory models..............and it shows here!
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-3-jpg   NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-1-jpg   NOS Model 10-factory-nickel-10-5-box-paperwork-brush-early-1973ish-2-jpg  

Last edited by tenntex32; 10-18-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 10-18-2020, 12:24 PM
JP@AK's Avatar
JP@AK JP@AK is offline
US Veteran
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 11,300
Likes: 3,710
Liked 11,868 Times in 4,600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntex32 View Post
This is my only S&W example with a factory cardboard box.
You should come to the big state for a visit. You'd have a ball looking through my large safe. I had to move most of the rifles to the "small" safe to make room for all my S&W boxes. Of course, all the boxes have handguns in them (mostly revolvers).
__________________
Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Narragansett's Avatar
Narragansett Narragansett is offline
SWCA Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,385
Likes: 8,359
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,086 Posts
Default

OP, very nice M10. I love mine.

The 2" and 4" are both 1968. The 2" is D138 serial.

The 6" is a NIB 10-7
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-10-5s-jpg   NOS Model 10-10-7r-jpg  
__________________
Pete
We deal in lead, friend
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #16  
Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 PM
tenntex32's Avatar
tenntex32 tenntex32 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 1,216
Likes: 745
Liked 1,957 Times in 771 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP@AK View Post
You should come to the big state for a visit. You'd have a ball looking through my large safe. I had to move most of the rifles to the "small" safe to make room for all my S&W boxes. Of course, all the boxes have handguns in them (mostly revolvers).
The family and I were just up there about 7 or 8 summers ago vacationing and visiting extended family in the Fairbanks, Delta Junction, and Denali areas. (I highly recommend a hike in Denali.)

We really enjoyed our time up there and I keep thinking we'll get back up that way some time again.

Over the years I would say I have had at least 5 other all original post-WWII M&P and pre-Model 10 examples. I am currently down to just the factory nickel 10-6 with regards to post-WWII M&P/pre-Model 10/Model 10 examples.

Looking back on it my biggest regret is deciding to part with the nice 4" S-prefix M&P as it would have displayed rather well with my 4" Victory examples. The 5" examples didn't bother me as much to gift or sell but I'll probably end up with a few more pre-WWII and post-WWII SV and S prefix 4" M&P examples before it is all over with.

I feel your pain with regards to the safes and I am yet again in need of attempting to better organize for more convenient handgun storage.........or get yet another safe!

Last edited by tenntex32; 10-18-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Grimjaws Grimjaws is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 278
Likes: 5
Liked 826 Times in 114 Posts
Default Itís sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Doc View Post
I have a 5" Model 10-7 that I bought new in 1979 and fired 6 rounds through it. Been in the box in a drawer ever since.
That poor revolver is hungry for more ammo and sad. :-)
Shoot the heck out of it. I recently shot all my safe queens and it was so nice. Iím gonna bring them every week now. Life is too short
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:17 PM
Babysitr Babysitr is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: southern illinois
Posts: 1,033
Likes: 707
Liked 1,283 Times in 519 Posts
Default

Jack, hope you see this..I have a 1967 10-6 HB C913074, with the same box the OP pictures. numbers match including non-diamond magnas,, same as OP...price tag on box is 70.95
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM
tenntex32's Avatar
tenntex32 tenntex32 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 1,216
Likes: 745
Liked 1,957 Times in 771 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjaws View Post
That poor revolver is hungry for more ammo and sad. :-)
Shoot the heck out of it. I recently shot all my safe queens and it was so nice. Iím gonna bring them every week now. Life is too short
I wonder if he had the presence of mind to fire those 6 rounds out of only the 3 chambers used for the factory test firing?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Jdavis's Avatar
Jdavis Jdavis is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: central Florida
Posts: 784
Likes: 1,147
Liked 980 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmet View Post
Thatís a great looking old Model 10. Itíll look slick with the T-grip. Hopefully you picked one up secondhand or itíll be awhile.
I installed a Tyler-T on mine years ago. The suits me much better a the result.
Attached Thumbnails
NOS Model 10-a4b28c95-79f5-463e-8e30-a0d46b56063e-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #21  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:30 PM
tenntex32's Avatar
tenntex32 tenntex32 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 1,216
Likes: 745
Liked 1,957 Times in 771 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdavis View Post
I installed a Tyler-T on mine years ago. The suits me much better a the result.
While they are not really my thang with regards to collecting the several heavy barreled 10-6 examples I have had the opportunity to shoot over the years grouped lights out fantastic.

At one time you would see a great many of the police trade-ins for $200 in the shops in my neck of the woods. Not so much anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-18-2020, 06:02 PM
Lahti35 Lahti35 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 14
Liked 57 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP@AK View Post
Okay. So the box is original, just a late shipper for that style. I will make a note of this - latest one I've seen. Not too surprising I guess, since some of the gold boxes were shipped as late as the early 1960s on some models.

The price is about what I would expect in the late 1960s. I just checked a 1965 Gun Digest and the list price for a blued Model 10 was $65. With the nickel finish, it was $70. No difference in price between the tapered barrel (Model 10-5) and the heavy barrel (Model 10-6).
Neat info, thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #23  
Old 10-18-2020, 06:04 PM
Lahti35 Lahti35 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 14
Liked 57 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narragansett View Post
OP, very nice M10. I love mine.

The 2" and 4" are both 1968. The 2" is D138 serial.

The 6" is a NIB 10-7
Beauties, all. I've always been a sucker for the proportions on a 6" revolver.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #24  
Old 10-26-2020, 04:02 PM
WB5MHA WB5MHA is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Prairie Texas
Posts: 74
Likes: 7
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default

About 15 years ago I bought a NOS model 10 from a dealer in Maine via Gunbroker. He asked how many do you want? Turns out he bought all he could from Smith back in the 1960s. Riots in prisons had prison guards arming themselves. He said he had about 50 still, long forgotten, blue and nickel. I took a blue for 220 and nickel for 230. I should have bought a dozen. Both were untouched and unfired. Came from the golden age of Smith & Wesson.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #25  
Old 10-26-2020, 06:34 PM
tenntex32's Avatar
tenntex32 tenntex32 is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 1,216
Likes: 745
Liked 1,957 Times in 771 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB5MHA View Post
About 15 years ago I bought a NOS model 10 from a dealer in Maine via Gunbroker. He asked how many do you want? Turns out he bought all he could from Smith back in the 1960s. Riots in prisons had prison guards arming themselves. He said he had about 50 still, long forgotten, blue and nickel. I took a blue for 220 and nickel for 230. I should have bought a dozen. Both were untouched and unfired. Came from the golden age of Smith & Wesson.
Oh my...........
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-27-2020, 10:19 AM
Martya's Avatar
Martya Martya is offline
Member
NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10 NOS Model 10  
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW PA
Posts: 835
Likes: 271
Liked 360 Times in 195 Posts
Default missed opportunity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB5MHA View Post
About 15 years ago I bought a NOS model 10 from a dealer in Maine via Gunbroker. He asked how many do you want? Turns out he bought all he could from Smith back in the 1960s. Riots in prisons had prison guards arming themselves. He said he had about 50 still, long forgotten, blue and nickel. I took a blue for 220 and nickel for 230. I should have bought a dozen. Both were untouched and unfired. Came from the golden age of Smith & Wesson.
Seems like your retirement opportunity was staring you in the face... And such a fun one it would have been!
Been there, done that, shoulda bought the T-shirt.
__________________
Marty 4513TSW 13-1 642 60-10
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tulsa Gunshow this Saturday: Model 63, Model 60, Model 351PD, Model 500 retiredsquid GUNS - For Sale or Trade 1 04-08-2010 04:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)