Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 12-31-2020, 10:37 PM
SWCA Member
It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please?  
Liked 45,751 Times in 4,819 Posts
Smile It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please?

Hello, my name is Richard and I have a problem with Model 27's and their pre equivalents...

I've decided that I have a somewhat obsessive personality. I like to complete things and I can hardly stand when projects are partially completed. I'm going to "blame" it on my parents, who drilled into me that anything worth doing is worth doing right. In the home of my youth, when you were assigned the dishes, it was expected that all of the dishes would get washed (even those that did not fit in the dishwasher), all the counters and tables wiped off, and the floors swept. That stuck with me... I find that I have a hard time:

* putting down a good book until it is finished
* walking away from an unfinished puzzle
* vacuuming only one room in the house (you know, if the vacuum's out you might as well do the the whole house...)
* and owning only one or two barrel length of the Model 27 and it's pre equivalents...

A few years back, I finally completed a blued 27-2 set of all of the catalogued barrel lengths. Today, I finally got some photos of them and thought I'd share.

3.5" shipped in March 1979:

4" shipped in May 1981:

5" shipped in August 1976:

6" shipped June 1976:

6.5" (with Ahrends finger groove stocks) shipped in August 1965 - this was my first model 27. It gets shot reguarly and yup... it started the obsession:

8 3/8" (with Culina maple magnas) shipped in June 1977:

I'd love to see the S&Ws that fuel your obsessions and the story on how they started. ...Ahhh I feel better already...

Last edited by RKmesa; 12-15-2021 at 08:33 AM.
The Following 85 Users Like Post:
1911haulic, 22hipower, 75Vette, arjay, Bajadoc, beach elvis, bigmoose, bronco45, CajunBass, cbjordan76, CHARLIE699, Claymore33, CobiaS&W, Collects, comfortsource, D Brown, daddio202, ditrina, Erocksmash, fdover, fkd713, Fredo Batali, g-dad, george_lehr, GerSan69, gunner4017, H Richard, Hair Trigger, Iggy, j38, JayCeeNC, Jeffrey A. Cooper, JH1951, Jimmyjones, jscheck, klind45, kryten67, KSK, lamarw, LEO918, LostintheOzone, Lou_the_welder, LPD256, lrrifleman, lscocoa, M29since14, ME94, mh51, mike4573, mod29, Model52guy, Moo Moo, MrG5122, Muley Gil, Narragansett, nate-dogg, nbedford, Old cop, OldRN, OutWest50, pawncop, pharmer, Pine_Worker, Protocall_Design, rags, RGNewell, rjm6120, robrossk, rwsmith, S&W-Keeper, SAFireman, scooterfiend, SFIDEC, Shooter Mike, Skeptic 9c, Skippyjon Jones, stansdds, steelslaver, TennTony, usmc2427765, vrichard, whitestang, wundudnee, xray97, Zarr
Old 12-31-2020, 10:44 PM
It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please? It's an Obsession... A Little Group Therapy... Please?  
Liked 2,388 Times in 649 Posts

Wow! You've checked all the blocks.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:54 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,132 Times in 518 Posts

I'm working on Chief Specials.
I have 36s Blue pre 36 2" , 2" RB ,3" RB&SB.3" full lug adj sites NICKEL 2" RB, 3" RB& SB ENGRAVED 37 2" Blue 2" RB NICKEL 2" RB. MONEL 50 2" BLUE SB, MODEL 60 2"RB, 2" RB ADJ SIGHTS 3" FULL LUG ADJ SIGHTS AND 3" SB
Need 60 2" SB ( missed one last week,) and I guess a few more.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 10:59 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,523 Times in 458 Posts

Wrong forum for any help stopping the addiction. Mostly we are enablers for guns collectors. Nice collection.
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 11:09 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,132 Times in 518 Posts

Richard,
I understand the situation, but I fail to see the problem. Looks like you need to expand to each barrel length in blue and nickel model 27 and pre 27.
Your friend.

Last edited by RGNewell; 12-31-2020 at 11:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 11:20 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,492 Times in 2,190 Posts

Where's the ones they made in 73-74 with the 2" barrel?

Just kidding. You finished the job. Congratulations.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 12-31-2020 at 11:27 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 AM
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts

Is that the same as OCD......(Obsessive Collector Disorder)...I think I have it too, that's how we end up with nice collections such as yours .................................M*
Old 01-01-2021, 01:31 AM
Liked 4,146 Times in 1,287 Posts

Asking for therapy from this group about your pistol collection is the same as asking which is the best bourbon/whiskey/scotch at an AA meeting...
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 01:45 AM
Liked 7,472 Times in 2,287 Posts

The best bourbon/whiskey/scotch, as we all know, comes as a Model 27. Rkmesa has shown us some very special stuff and my hat is off to him. Thx.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:02 AM

Liked 706 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
Hello, my name is Richard and I have a problem with Model 27's and their pre equivalents...
Impressive collection of some of the finest revolvers ever made.
Thanks for sharing them with us
Old 01-01-2021, 08:22 AM
Liked 19,404 Times in 4,090 Posts

Richard, no need for apologies

At one point I too had your problem

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

The herd is gone but the pictures speak to the obsession

SWCA #2306
DAV in honor of POP
Old 01-01-2021, 09:26 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 8,019 Times in 2,495 Posts

^^^^^ THAT reminds me.... ^^^^^

Old 01-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Liked 5,751 Times in 535 Posts

Ah, the Pit Boss posts again!! SF VET
Old 01-01-2021, 11:09 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 486 Times in 55 Posts

Richard I can understand... Still hunting for a 4" some day..lol
S&WCA #2885
Old 01-01-2021, 02:47 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 435 Times in 197 Posts

Richard,

Happy New Year! Can't wait to see the results of your "OCD" to manifest itself in a collection of engraved blue and nickel 27's in every barrel length! I am confident you are close.

Bob
Old 01-01-2021, 08:41 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditrina View Post
...The herd is gone but the pictures speak to the obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjordan76 View Post
Richard I can understand... Still hunting for a 4" some day..lol
Sal and Chris - now THAT is my kind of "group" therapy. Thanks for sharing your groups with the group.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 10:33 PM
Liked 589 Times in 228 Posts

Beautiful 27's guys. Unfortunately there is no vaccine for this virus. My 27-1 6.5 inch is my most prized 27. Left to me by my uncle.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:37 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 15,557 Times in 3,101 Posts

Wait......you mean RKMesa owns Un-Engraved guns?!?! Whaaaatt???

Very nice Richard, as usual.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:37 PM
Liked 3,964 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFireman View Post
Wait......you mean RKMesa owns Un-Engraved guns?!?! Whaaaatt???

Very nice Richard, as usual.
Ya know, that was my first thought as I scrolled down.... I was actually expecting that the "plain" guns were "before" photos and the engraved "afters" would follow!
Hah! Richard, as I've learned to expect, every corner of your no-doubt city-block-sized safe houses some real treasures, engraved or not! Thank you for sharing your photos!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 06:15 AM
Liked 29,250 Times in 13,830 Posts
Default Those are...

Those are GORGEOUS!

Nice job.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:59 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerSan69 View Post
Ya know, that was my first thought as I scrolled down.... I was actually expecting that the "plain" guns were "before" photos and the engraved "afters" would follow!
I do have a bit of an obsession with engraved 357s as well... As a matter of fact, just yesterday I picked up one that had been receiving the PL Quigley engraving treatment. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some photos in the next several weeks,
Old 01-03-2021, 03:31 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,719 Times in 461 Posts

Absolutely Fantastic groups of 27s guys!!!
That pre 27 photo w boxes knocks my socks
off😜😜😜😜😜
Thanks for sharing those groups!!
Randy..
Old 01-11-2021, 04:39 AM
Liked 419 Times in 121 Posts

I just wanna thank you guys who posted pics for absolutely making my morning!!!!!
Old 01-11-2021, 02:26 PM
US Veteran
Liked 18,451 Times in 5,052 Posts

Richard, as ever, your post sets the tone and rhythm. I, too, was raised to "do your best" and "never leave a thing undone."

I define OCD as "Old Chiefs Disease."

Hi, I'm Bob, and I hoard Chiefs.

My oldest .38 Chiefs Special is serial number 72. You've seen it before, but I'm going to show it to you again. Shipped in March '51. Engraved to Flora Mason Van Orden, co-owner of Evaluators Limited, a high-end gun shop in Triangle, Virginia. Flora's husband, George, got serial number 70, and boy, do I wish I knew where it is!

My most prized .38 Chiefs Special is a 3" given to a Queens, NYC, Police lieutenant by his "Men" for Christmas in 1953. Shipped in July '53.

My prettiest .38 Chiefs Special might be nickel serial number 47475, which was an early 4-screw model given to "Mr. H.O. Austin, Sales Manager, Smith and Wesson," according to Roy's letter, "for demonstration purposes," says the factory invoice.

My favorite .38 Chiefs Special Airweight wears serial number 130794. Shipped in August '58. It's 20 numbers higher than a Model 37 that shipped in September '58. It's sporting Bianchi Lightning grips.

My favorite Model 60 is serial number 410010, and I just won it yesterday. According to Roy's book, History of Smith & Wesson, it's one of the first 300 stainless steel Chiefs with the bright polished finish and stainless steel hammer and trigger. It wears number matching diamond magna grips and probably shipped in early '66.

My newest Model 36 is a 36-9 that shipped in February '98. Built on the J-magnum frame, it's got MIM parts, including the new beveled thumbpiece. It's the last model before the internal lock appeared in 2001 on the Model 36-10.

I have more Chiefs (almost 50) that help tell the story about the evolution of the model. I have holes to fill to completely tell the story, like nickel and square butt Baby Chiefs (Hmmm, let's see, how many z's are there in "Fat Chance"?).

I began collecting Chiefs because I'm a retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant, and I thought it would be financially more feasible than, say, collecting Model 27s. Well, that last part was pure fantasy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby Chiefs #72, service grips, original thumbpiece.jpg (111.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Baby Chiefs #30375, after its bath.jpg (100.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Chiefs August '54, 4-screw.jpg (92.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Chiefs Special Airweight (3).jpg (110.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg MOD. 36-9 - L.jpg (104.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by two-bit cowboy; 01-11-2021 at 02:51 PM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:03 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-bit cowboy View Post
...I, too, was raised to "do your best" and "never leave a thing undone."

I define OCD as "Old Chiefs Disease."

Hi, I'm Bob, and I hoard Chiefs.

I have more Chiefs (almost 50) that help tell the story about the evolution of the model. I have holes to fill to completely tell the story, like nickel and square butt Baby Chiefs (Hmmm, let's see, how many z's are there in "Fat Chance"?).

I began collecting Chiefs because I'm a retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant, and I thought it would be financially more feasible than, say, collecting Model 27s. Well, that last part was pure fantasy.
Bob:

That is some great "group" therapy!!! Not quite an obsession for me, but over the years I've picked up a couple of engraved Chiefs to go with my engraved obsession...

... I can see how these little guys could be addictive...

Last edited by RKmesa; 01-13-2021 at 01:42 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 11:30 AM
US Veteran
Liked 18,451 Times in 5,052 Posts

Wow, that Baby is gorgeous.

Goes well with the morning's coffee.