Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 02-21-2021, 08:36 PM
Absent Comrade
Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines?  
Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts
Default Cylinder turn lines?

I see m27-2 and m28 some with turn lines on the cylinder some with no turn lines. Is the cylinder lock up cam too high with the turn lines? I won’t Stone the top of the edge of the cam lower and reblue it. I’m going to leave it alone. But does turn lines hurt the value? The finish on the revolver is 99.99% except for the turn lines.

Thoughts.?
Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Cylinder turn lines?  
Liked 433 Times in 166 Posts

All my used smiths have turn lines.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 PM
Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines?  
Liked 11,380 Times in 3,519 Posts

Another recent thread......

Cylinder wear line

It's actually called a "cylinder stop". Perhaps moly would help??

Last edited by armorer951; 02-21-2021 at 11:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 09:26 PM
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Some old revolvers don't show up a heavy turn line because they have been shot only on single action. Double action tends to make the turn line worse, but thats the nature of the beast
Old 02-21-2021, 09:38 PM
Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

I do not believe double action makes the turn line any worse than the same number of cycles single action but I had not thought about it before. What double action can do is peen the edge of the cylinder stop notch. There must be a better word than peen but none come to mind.

I advocate stoning cylinder stop edges but only to retard the change in the revolver's appearance. Turn lines are normal but nearly avoidable. Think in terms of removing atoms from the edge, not whole molecules. You only need to dull the edges. Even if that can be spotted it certainly is less noticeable than an obvious turn line. I can not imagine anyone rebluing the cylinder stop after stoning it.

Do turn lines reduce value? With revolvers that are other wise 99% they absolutely do. Without stoning the cylinder stop the revolver will look like it has fired the number of round that it has fired. If its stop was stoned before a turn line developed that 99% gun will look like it was barely fired at all. In 90% guns it makes no difference.

Last edited by k22fan; 02-21-2021 at 09:43 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 09:48 PM
Absent Comrade
Question

Here’s the turn lines. This m28 has a sweet trigger. I haven’t fondled it in decades. It appears to be barely fired. No holster wear, nothing. I’m not a collector but I’ve been very fussy about the condition of what I purchased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A356914-0E77-48F7-B291-80C3DEEDAB3F.jpg (48.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg DA23271D-1ED2-45EC-8731-4A46CC7481D4.jpg (53.8 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by BigBill; 02-21-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:59 PM

Liked 8,917 Times in 4,135 Posts

I seldom fire a revolver double-action, though most or all of my revolvers may have "turn lines". I shoot a lot, but haven't paid much attention to such things. Some gun owners apparently have difficulty accepting the lines, but I don't believe they hurt a thing.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:53 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,329 Times in 1,701 Posts

The cylinder stop pops back up against the cylinder very early after the hand starts the cylinder rotation. Not much you can do about it other than perhaps, lightly polish the top of the cylinder stop and leading edge with fine crocus cloth. I generally don't bother.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:56 AM
US Veteran
Liked 13,165 Times in 4,567 Posts

Essentially, nobody cares about turn lines. Not in a used gun, anyway.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 AM
Liked 362 Times in 103 Posts

If you don’t want a turn line, don’t index the cylinder when closing. Simply line up the cylinder line with forcing cone.
It has nothing to do with double or single action. Any revolver that
is cycled will have a slight drag at or near the notches.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Liked 12,746 Times in 3,482 Posts

I consider a revolver "turn line" like tire wear. Simply a result of usage.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:33 AM
US Veteran
Liked 6,883 Times in 2,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_2001ve View Post
Some old revolvers don't show up a heavy turn line because they have been shot only on single action. Double action tends to make the turn line worse, but thats the nature of the beast
I don't buy that. The operating sequence of the cylinder stop is the same, whether it is single or double action, and it drags the cylinder in either case.

I believe the difference in some guns developing more of a line than others is a combination of a couple of factors. Total cycles of the firing mechanism, from "round count" or dry fire or just playing with the action; and the microscopic contour of the cylinder stop's top edge, whether is is 'sharp' on the edges or slightly rounded, are the greatest contributors to a turn line. The spring tension of the cylinder stop spring would also have an effect; even though the springs are all essentially the same, a minute variation in spring tension, practically unmeasurable but not enough to affect operation, could over time cause more wear.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 11:49 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,940 Times in 3,656 Posts

Okay------------------

Of course turn lines hurt value---compare the 99% gun with a turn line to the 100% gun without one---compare the faint line to the Grand Canyon!!

Yes, the turn line can be minimized by "breaking" the edge of the cylinder stop (whichever edge that is), also by polishing the top surface of the cylinder stop.

Now, the reason I don't know "whichever edge that is" (other than it's clearly the leading edge) is because I'm not much of a shooter anymore----handgun shooter anyway-----AND because I long ago learned that turn lines can be prevented (on a new gun) or minimized on a used gun by altering the timing of the cylinder stop.

Here's how I came to learn that:

I bought my first, brand new in the box gun----a K-22------with the funky finish. This was in 1956. The funky finish was the name of the game, unless you had the patience for a special order-----6 months for "Bright Blue". I didn't. By the spring of 1960, I'd had all I could stand of the funky finish, and sent the gun back to the factory. The accompanying letter of instructions went like this: Please refinish in Bright Blue, and assign this gun to your very best craftsmen, and have them make it as perfect as can be. I don't care how long it takes nor how much it costs. I had the gun back in maybe 2-3 weeks (a thing of beauty), the cost was single digit dollars (as near as I can recall), and I had no clue as to what they might have done to make it as perfect as can be.

Time passed, and in the vernacular of this hive, I shot the snot out of it. I got older and wiser with that passage of time, and after a very loooooong time came to notice my very pretty gun was still very pretty--because it had no turn ring. (Actually it does----rather faint---and it's about 3/32" long at the lead into each cylinder stop notch-------which is to say my S&W didn't work like the rest of them.

I told Jinks about all this----hoping to learn the what and how of it. (BIG mistake!!)

WELL----He had a conniption fit!! "They NEVER should have done that!! It'll skip chambers in rapid double action fire! I NEVER would have allowed that!!" I didn't have the heart to tell him about half of the half a box car full of ammo that had been run through that gun had been rapid, double action fire-------in my (failed) efforts to emulate McGivern---and that it had never missed a beat------not once!!

So---how to and what to? I don't know--which is to say I've never done it. I've sat and stared, and have an idea, but by the time all this came to light I was a whole lot more collector and a whole lot less shooter, and had no need. If it was me (and I had a need), I'd be on the phone to the big time gunsmiths.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 02-22-2021 at 12:03 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 04:59 PM

A couple more comments.

First for Ralph,
Feel the leading edge of your .22 Masterpieces' cylinder stop. I never cared which is the leading edge either. Since taking material off the non-leading edge can not effect functioning I just dulled both edges. However, our little pea brains can figure it out. Since we know which way S&W cylinders rotate we know the leading edge has to be the side of the stop that is not on the sideplate side of the gun. I'll bet S&W dulled your stop's edge while they polishing everything and dulling the edge is the only change they made that effected the turn line but I'm not betting money and I've been wrong before. Comparing how early your Masterpiece's stop snaps up to your other S&Ws what do you see?

Second for Bill,
It is too late for stoning you cylinder stop to make any difference. The last blued S&W revolver that I bought in like new condition was a 17-4. I justified paying its price by telling myself I'd get my money's worth out of it by using it. I drove it straight from the store to the opening night of a bullseye league then shot the league with it. That guaranteed it would develop an avoidable turn line. In hind sight I should have shot the first match with the gun I already had in the car and stoned its stop before the second match, but some how I have no regrets. If memory serves my first score was pretty good. Like yours, my turn line is there to stay.

Last edited by k22fan; 02-22-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:18 PM
Liked 2,093 Times in 810 Posts

It also depends on the revolver lockwork itself.

With Colt SAAs or the V-spring action DA's, the bolt is designed to drop in the lead itself, a very short distance from the notch. The only "turn lines" you would see on these types of guns is wear in the lead, UNLESS you make it a habit of turning the cylinder while the bolt is between the leads. If you load an SAA with the "John Wayne" approach and cock the hammer and lower it, no problems. Likewise, with a V-spring DA Colt when you close the cylinder, do not rotate it by hand into the next notch. Simply cock the hammer and lower it, or just pull the trigger if your gun doesn't have a hammer spur.

For S&W guns or Mark III or newer Colt DA guns, it's a whole different ballgame.

The cylinder stop is designed to drop between the leads and a long way away from the notch, directly onto the cylinder. The spring is relatively weak on these designs (doesn't need to be strong since the bolt drops so far before the leads). There's nothing you can do on these designs. You WILL see turn lines over time.

Colt takes the approach to make the whole cylinder a "lead" in the newer guns like the Python...each lead is huge.

So bottom line: if you see heavy turn lines on a SAA or V-Spring Colt, be leery. Someone may not have handled it properly over a long period of time, or the gun may be exhibiting "early bolt drop" from wear that wasn't taken care of. For the newer Colts or all S&W's, don't worry about a turn line. It's unavoidable with use and designed to be that way.

Last edited by smithra_66; 02-22-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 PM
SWCA Member

"smithra66" brings up more than an interesting point----Colt DA's with V springs.

I had one. We called it the Roper Colt----it had the whole treatment: Roper grips, sights, and action job. One aspect of the action job is germane here---the cylinder stop timing---and the accompanying sounds (Although the sounds were significant enough to call them NOISE!!).

So----cock the hammer: As soon as it (the trigger actually) moved, the cylinder stop SNAPPED down. It stayed down until the next chamber was almost in line, and then it SNAPPED up. There was more than enough power behind it to make the king of all turn rings, except for the fact that it SNAPPED up into the relieved lead into the next notch----AND the bluing in the leads had been polished off----leaving metal the same color as a turn ring. So there was a turn ring----maybe 1/8-3/16" long in each lead---but it was invisible.

Ralph Tremaine
Old 02-22-2021, 06:02 PM
Liked 1,143 Times in 454 Posts

"turn lines" aren't as noticeable on stainless steel revolvers. just sayin.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:21 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by double-dipper View Post
"turn lines" aren't as noticeable on stainless steel revolvers. just sayin.
There you go!!

Buy stainless, and have your cake and eat it-------no pesky turn rings to speak of and no bills from the gunsmith!!

Ralph Tremaine
Old 02-22-2021, 06:42 PM
Liked 3,763 Times in 1,784 Posts
Wink

Roy Jinks is not just an S&W historian but also spent many years at S&W as a worker and manager. He has said that turn rings on hand ejectors are "normal". If you don't want one buy only NIB guns that don't have one yet and never shoot them. Also look for/feel any burrs on the cylinder stop and clean them up.

Heavily used S&W revolvers also can develop peening on the stop notch which can/does cause skipping over the stop. If it happens to you during a match you wont be a happy shooter(I know!). This peening is most common in heavily used stainless steel revolvers than carbon steel due to hardness differences. This condition was heavily debated on the Enos forums about 10 yrs. ago. If your gun has this problem a good revolversmith can clean it up for you.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:19 PM
Absent Comrade

I notice turn lines on stainless finish revolvers too they match the finish so there hidden.

Now would you leave the turnlines or stone the edge of the cylinder stop and reblue it, your honest opinion.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 PM
US Veteran
Liked 18,437 Times in 5,045 Posts

The replies in this thread have been interesting and informative.

Every S&W I own has a turn line, including the stainless steel and nickel models.

Don't reblue, and don't fret about the turn lines.

Rebluing might have a more adverse value result than turn lines.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
[...] Now would you leave the turnlines or stone the edge of the cylinder stop and reblue it, your honest opinion.
I've never even thought of doing that. I thought it's ridiculous before reading this obvious flaw in the reasoning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-bit cowboy View Post
[...] Rebluing might have a more adverse value result than turn lines.
"Might" was a poor choice of words. It definitely will.

Just enjoy your revolver. Perhaps it needs a trip to range to remind you why we own guns.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:52 AM
Absent Comrade

I have two m28’s and one m28-2. Ill leave the turn lined one alone you guys are the best when it comes to advise. I was in the past thinking about having one redone in nickel and you guys saved another orginal one.

The m28/m28-2 are sweet they have awesome triggers. Very well balanced 6” barreled revolver.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:34 AM
Liked 581 Times in 321 Posts

I saw a boob tube gun guy who collects expensive revolvers. He places black tape along the cylinder sections to avoid lines while shooting.
I think his moniker is giant sized potatoe.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:57 AM
US Veteran
Liked 39,434 Times in 10,034 Posts

I have bunch of S&W revolvers, I,J,K,L,N,X and every one of them has a turn line. I plan to keep on getting more and shooting them until I find one that doesn't get a turn line. I am picking up my new 431PD today, Maybe that will be the ONE.

Last edited by steelslaver; 02-23-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:45 AM
Liked 11,380 Times in 3,519 Posts

Just carry a black Sharpie at the range. Each time you reload, paint over the turn line with the marker. Remember, be sure to include this procedure in your reloading drills......the turn line police might be watching.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:54 AM
Cylinder turn lines? Cylinder turn lines?  
Liked 4,513 Times in 1,932 Posts

Someone always wants to beat the system or in this case, the engineers. Figure out how to make something work in a way it was not designed to work to show what a smart idea they have! A turn line shows the revolver is operating properly. It is a by product of proper operation. Slight stoning of the offending side of the cylinder stop is the only approved way of addressing the issue. Anything other than that is tampering with the proper operation of the revolver which could cause it to fail when it is needed the most. If the stop does not rub the cylinder or have the spring tension to engage the cylinder notch then it will not lock the cylinder when it reaches the notch and a light lock into the notch could cause it to jump out under recoil. Maybe individuals that are bothered by the turn line should trade for an auto?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
Maybe individuals that are bothered by the turn line should trade for an auto?
Then they would worry about the wear on the barrel from the slide rubbing on it.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:19 AM

Liked 83 Times in 57 Posts

I polish, not stone, the tops of my cylinder stops. I use a fine Cratex rubber in a rotary tool to give a mirror shine to the tops of my stops(or bolts?) and use same to break any sharp edges along the top. Unless the thing is worn out, you will not remove any material that would affect the dimensions of the part. And it minimizes the ringing on any of the guns, I also do it on other revolvers. If someone is a total knucklehead they could use the wrong tool and remove material or damage the part I suppose. Watch the YT videos about the bozos that try to polish their barrels with a sanding disc, etc. But this is safe. I also use Cratex to polish up feed ramps in autos. All you need is some common sense. Obviously it is metal on metal so if there is any sort of film of lubrication on your cylinder such as silicone cloth or protective oil film, in combination with low friction from a polished stop, that will reduce it. But it will never go away completely with two metals of same hardness.

Last edited by tom2; 02-24-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2 View Post
I polish, not stone, the tops of my cylinder stops. I use a fine Cratex rubber in a rotary tool to give a mirror shine to the tops of my stops(or bolts?) and use same to break any sharp edges along the top. Unless the thing is worn out, you will not remove any material that would affect the dimensions of the part. And it minimizes the ringing on any of the guns, I also do it on other revolvers. If someone is a total knucklehead they could use the wrong tool and remove material or damage the part I suppose. Watch the YT videos about the bozos that try to polish their barrels with a sanding disc, etc. But this is safe. I also use Cratex to polish up feed ramps in autos. All you need is some common sense.
Very important. You do NOT want to remove any material to change the dimension of the bolt. I've had problems with over stoned bolts on an old Colt, and it would skip out of the notches on fast double action firing because the bolt itself was compromised from stoning.

The leading edge of the bolt that contacts the edge of the notch to stop the cylinder must be left intact and sharp shouldered so that it can make full contact.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Liked 83 Times in 57 Posts

Yea I never mess with the rest of the stop, just the top and the side edges. And I am smoothing the edges on a microscopic scale practically, not "rounding them off". It probably depends on the gun, how rough the stop was made to begin with. The only time I ever replaced a stop was with an old Victory model that had been thru Britain and into Pakistan or India and needed refurb. The top had a flat spot worn on it from decades of hard use. If you were especially nervous you could only polish the center of the top, which is the part that contacts the cylinder.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braenaru View Post
Here is a solution that will eliminate turn lines without modification to the revolver. Take a piece of .0039987 thick plastic, it can't be .0039986 or .0039988 in thickness or it will not work. Length should be about 3 inches, and width .50.... Now slide it between the cylinder stop and the cylinder, prior to cocking the revolver. Cock the revolver, slide the shim out, let the cylinder stop engage the cylinder stop notch, apply the fundamentals, and fire your revolver. Do this when ever cycling the action. This will significantly eliminate any turn line on your revolver, and when you get old and can't shoot anymore, or when your time comes, you can then guarantee that someone else will be able to enjoy and use the revolver as it was intended.
haha darn, my calipers only go down .001" accuracy.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM

There are stones and there are stones. To be clear I do not use ordinary hardware store stones for this purpose. I use an old Case translucent naviculite (real rock) stone that feels as smooth as window glass.

This topic has been in many threads. I do not recall another thread getting so emotional.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:43 PM

Liked 8,917 Times in 4,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutz5 View Post
I saw a boob tube gun guy who collects expensive revolvers. He places black tape along the cylinder sections to avoid lines while shooting.
I think his moniker is giant sized potatoe.
Kind of sad. Today's obsessive folks probably have a tough time dealing with something as insignificant as turn lines.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:30 PM
US Veteran
Liked 18,437 Times in 5,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k22fan View Post
This topic has been in many threads. I do not recall another thread getting so emotional.
Hmmm. Guess I've missed what you perceive as "emotional."

Thread needs a photo. This is the most prominent turn line I've seen: October 1953 .38 Chiefs Special Airweight, 1 of 923 square butts with an aluminum cylinder. Obviously well used, and the frame is not cracked.

My bottom line: a turn line is a rite of passage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 sb Airweight - R (2).jpg (131.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Airweight Retainer Screw.jpg (81.8 KB, 37 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,711 Times in 4,027 Posts

I’ll see your turn line and raise you one.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF14686F-126B-4F0C-888E-CEE2B34D18FC.jpg (58.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:23 AM
Absent Comrade

Ok it’s the nature of the beast not a higher than normal or improperly fitted cylinder stop. I got it. Thanks for the education.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Liked 2,109 Times in 860 Posts

Much ado about nothing.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:09 AM
Absent Comrade

Quote:
Here’s the turn lines. This m28 has a sweet trigger. I haven’t fondled it in decades. It appears to be barely fired. No holster wear, nothing. I’m not a collector but I’ve been very fussy about the condition of what I purchased.

Second problem the side of the trigger is wearing against the frame. I’m thinking by putting a shim in there it will stop the wear? Look closely at the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBDB3553-865D-421D-98E7-B6FC7C802DDA.jpg (48.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by BigBill; 02-26-2021 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:33 AM
Absent Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
Much ado about nothing.
Sorry I asked a dumb question.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:59 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,329 Times in 1,701 Posts

Quote:
Sorry I asked a dumb question.
Wasn't a dumb question! It's been asked before and will be asked again. As we all have something to learn from someone's question. Besides, how would you know if you didn't ask?

No telling how many other folks were wondering the same thing, and did not ask. Now they learned something too!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:45 AM
US Veteran
Liked 6,502 Times in 2,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
I’ll see your turn line and raise you one.

Kevin
Turn lines happen, worse on some than on others. Some things can be done to lessen the wear (soften the sharp edges). But, this looks to be an example of a stop modification or replacement. Making a change of where the two meet will result in this. Here's the rub - break out the abrasives and takes your chances.....
In the end, some are factory fitted better than others. I have had two K22's that were done quite well and resisted the telltale wear.
Both were pre-1955.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:59 AM

Liked 7,598 Times in 1,448 Posts

I've been in the retail gun business and have opened more fresh from the factory boxes than most. Smith & Wesson revolvers come from the factory with turn lines. A turn line doesn't bother me one bit.

Last edited by Bill Bates; 02-27-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:25 AM
Absent Comrade

Let’s say in a sale with a dealer with a new gun the turn line won’t matter right?

How about trading a revolver in with a turn line? Will the dealer make a lower offer?

How about us the buyer does a turn line turn you off or you want a lower price?
Old 02-28-2021, 06:14 AM
Liked 9,121 Times in 1,980 Posts

Whats worse than the turnline are sellers that are SO sure it ruins the value of the gun they zip tie it closed so you can't cycle the trigger. Unless the line is a GOUGE I could not care any less...even if the line is on an "unfired" revolver. I think some people carry things too far..
Old 02-28-2021, 09:34 AM
Liked 841 Times in 210 Posts

I’ve seen this subject beat to death on here. One poster has shown how different designs in mechanical geometry do what they do. I’ve owned S&W
since early 70s and always had a turn line on any that I owned. As many Colt handguns I’ve owned in that same period I never owned a Colt SAA until like four years ago. After getting educated by how to properly handle a Colt SAA,if done correctly NO turn line. My blue CH 45 ACP has been shot hundreds of times and cycled into the thousands,no turn line! You will get a
little blue loss in the cylinder notches from where but very little. I realize in my picture the ACP cylinder is out of the gun so you can’t see the lack of a turn line but trust me it looks just like the 45 Colt cylinder that’s in the gun.
Pete