Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 09-12-2021, 04:51 PM
US Veteran
Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay?  
Liked 1,278 Times in 224 Posts
Default Gun prices: are they here to stay?

Greetings,

The question I have, which really can be applied to every gun forum category here, is the following:

Are the current gun prices here to stay?

This includes both new and used guns. It seems like with a few exceptions, gun prices will only go up for the foreseeable future and will not drop.

No doubt this question comes up repeatedly over the years but these are strange and uncertain times we currently live in.

From reading many posts, and I could be wrong, I detect a certain denial from perhaps the older generation, even anger about high gun prices. Some folks, somewhere, however seem willing to pay these prices.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:57 PM
Gun prices: are they here to stay?  
Liked 5,046 Times in 1,439 Posts

Everything is cyclical. Just wait a few years. Some the new gun owners will decide they don't want everything or anything they bought. I think we're heading for a soft second hand market. Any new gun bans blow this thought clean out of the water as it will reinvigorate hoarding mentality.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 05:24 PM
US Veteran
Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay?  
Liked 6,543 Times in 1,821 Posts

I can tell you exactly when they're going to crash - the moment I overcome my inertia, and decide to get rid of mine.

Maybe I can recover some of my losses by telling people, for a price, right before I sell mine.

This subject reminds me of stocks; when someone tells me they know what the market will do, I grab my wallet tighter. But, with so many people guessing, somebody is going to be right, and then they'll be hailed as a guru, until the next thing comes along.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonjames65 View Post
[...] Are the current gun prices here to stay? [...]
No. While a few months ago you'd have found more who would agree that I'm one of the older generation who is in denial, the two pinned & recessed S&W revolvers that I bought during the last couple of months were at prices that would have been attractive a few years ago. I paid the retailers' prices without dickering. We older guys have lived through a few politically motivated buying panics and know this one will pass just like the earlier ones did. When you see dealers' guns priced at double what you would have expected two years ago you are free to walk on past. Patience Grass Hopper.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 05:46 PM
Liked 690 Times in 282 Posts

I believe there may be a slight pull back in prices but the days of discounted Shields are over IMHO.

But it’s also possible that prices may rise strictly from the current economic situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Liked 78 Times in 47 Posts

New, used, and classic are 3 different markets. It’s the market for classic p&r Smith revolvers that I ‘worry’ about, a better description is that I’m motivated to acquire a few pieces. The greatest generation loved revolvers, baby boomers love them now, but I don’t know how millennials feel about them.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 05:57 PM
US Veteran
Liked 22,967 Times in 5,777 Posts

I stopped buying firearms of any sort several years ago, so I can’t comment on current pricing. I still shoot and the most important part of any firearm, Ammo has gone through the roof. 10 years ago, I was able to purchase .38 Special and .357 ammo from a established and trusted commercial reloading company at $10.00 per 50 rounds and .357 Magnum ammo at $13.00 per 50 rounds. I checked their pricing the other day and the 38 special was close to $40.00 per 50 rounds. I did not bother checking the .357 Magnum pricing. I don’t know it the current prices a based-on overhead or greed. The worst part is I don’t see ammo pricing coming down by much anytime soon
Old 09-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Liked 6,709 Times in 2,417 Posts

In my go to shop new guns are priced at MSRP. Used guns like older Smiths are caveat emptor. Ammo like 9mm is unobtainium. With fall here local hunters are desperate.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:45 PM
Vendor
Liked 13,433 Times in 4,240 Posts

No one can predict the future. Prices of everything go up and down over time. My strategy is to get only what I need now, (or already had) and wait for another down cycle, while working to ensure that when that happens, I will have ready cash to take advantage of lower prices.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Liked 539 Times in 305 Posts

I haven't seen them drop since I bought my first revolver in 1974.I think they stay and rise.
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 11:09 PM
Liked 3,089 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeter3 View Post
I haven't seen them drop since I bought my first revolver in 1974.I think they stay and rise.
I totally agree. I’m one of the older generation and bought my first pistol in the early 70’s. I remember going to gun stores with my dad in the 50’s and 60’s and have never seen prices drop for any period of time. You might find what you are looking for on sale somewhere but as far as retail pricing, it’ll continue to go up.

My philosophy, shop till you find a price you’re comfortable with. I may want a new toy but I don’t have to have it, it’s optional. Only essential items have to be bought no matter the price, food, medicine, housing. I wanted a new Python to replace the one I bought for $350 years ago and sold for $1,500. I refuse to pay over retail and always shop for a discount. I found a new 4” for $1,420 and I now own it. With few exceptions, no paying over retail. Be patient.

Last edited by .38SuperMan; 09-13-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:31 AM
Liked 3,255 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLT223 View Post
Everything is cyclical. Just wait a few years. Some the new gun owners will decide they don't want everything or anything they bought. I think we're heading for a soft second hand market. Any new gun bans blow this thought clean out of the water as it will reinvigorate hoarding mentality.
Don’t forget inflation.
Prices and demand will stay high regardless.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 03:12 AM
Liked 3,962 Times in 1,603 Posts

Buy low, sell high. Never take a loss. Always grab a bargain.
And Rule #1.....
Don't pay more than you reasonably expect the value will be in your lifetime.
(In other words, $1200 for a run-of-the-mill Model 60, like I saw not too long ago on a certain classified page someplace, is ridiculous. And this is after I paid $399 for one in the last year. You can do much better.)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:31 AM
Liked 11,436 Times in 3,018 Posts

I'm no prophet, but I went to a local gun show this past weekend, and was dismayed to see new plastic was at full retail plus, and it seemed anything in blue steel and walnut worth looking at was a thousand bucks, or more. Funny thing is a friend I went with, when we met for lunch at the show said the exact same thing as I was thinking. Seems a lot of guys were trying to get "panic prices" on their stuff.

Smart shopping will find lower prices, and popular ammo is starting to come down from recent highs, but I don't really see any big drops anytime soon, especially if there is another "crisis". The collector market will continue to roll to it's own beat, with maybe a softening on certain classics as the newer generations tastes change.

Larry

Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-13-2021 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:52 AM
Liked 6,183 Times in 1,570 Posts

If current inflation is any indicator…..there is no going back. It only gets worse from here. Anyone who thinks things will get better is deluding themselves. I am buying now everything I can for the next generation. People talk about building generational wealth, I am building generational armament for the grand kids.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:54 AM
Liked 11,729 Times in 5,348 Posts

The Fed has dumped a ton of money into the economy, the result of that is a devaluing of every dollar in existence. The devaluing of the dollar equals inflation, basically, it takes more dollars now to purchase the same item that cost less dollars in the past. These inflationary pressures may be temporary, but odds are that at least a portion of the inflation will be permanent, especially since wages have also gone up. My prediction is that once demand returns to normal, assuming it does, then base prices will be 10 to 15% above what they were just before the pandemic.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:31 AM
US Veteran
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,078 Posts

I bought a new Colt Python in 1959 (#6306) for list price of $125. The inflation calculator says that today that is an $1,126.62 dollar cost. Not too far off the cost of a new one.

Stu
Old 09-13-2021, 09:33 AM
Liked 8,045 Times in 3,651 Posts

I'm 72 years old and have been shooting all my life , buying firearms , watching my Dad buy firearms ... watching prices since 1961 ...

These prices are not here to stay .... They will go up !
As sure as the Sun will rise tomorrow the prices will steadily climb ....
In Fact , twenty years from now they will seem dirt cheap ... the way inflation is headed prices will be at least twice what they are now .
Ask any firearms person over 60 ... they've seen it .
It wasn't long ago that a brick of 22 LR (500 rounds) was $9.99 any day of the week .
When inflation gets to the point that a loaf of bread cost $100.00 (think pre WWII Germany) the Government will emplode and the left take controll just like they say ...History Repeats Itself .
Gary
Old 09-13-2021, 10:07 AM
Liked 5,970 Times in 2,940 Posts

In 2016 prior to the election AR's ran near $1500 for a basic model if you could find them. They dropped to $500 in two years.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:31 AM
Liked 4,645 Times in 1,199 Posts

I’m in my mid 70’s and have always thought good guns cost to much.😁
As far as older S&W’s go, well, they don’t make them anymore so yes they will continue to climb in price at different rates due to the fickle economy.
The new plastic, safety warnings, locks and other modern warts have made it a given that the classics will go higher.
But remember back in the ‘60’s people bought M28’s and M10’s because M27’s and M19’s were to much.
If you like one and can afford it, buy it. I for one think they will rise steadily over the years.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Liked 1,158 Times in 598 Posts

Firearms of all brands will not stabilize and will, as most everything else in this troubled world, only increase in price. Not too long ago, one could find an excellent used S&W Model 686 for $350-$450 tops and look at the prices now.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Liked 23,915 Times in 6,782 Posts

I think new gun prices will continue to drop a little, but hard-to-find, collectable and classic guns will keep increasing, perhaps at a slower rate.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:06 AM
Liked 284 Times in 125 Posts

The firearm and ammo markets are like a rollercoaster, much like gasoline. You watch the prices skyrocket to record highs and drop back down but the prices seldom drop to the level they were at before. The prices reflect supply and demand, every little hiccup in production or supply shortage and we see what we are seeing now. The firearms can be different on occasion, in the 70's, you could expect a price increase from Smith and Wesson and Colt, every year. I remember Colt would raise their prices ten percent but it grew exponentially each year with the increases from the previous years. Glock, on the other hand have actually gone down in price, when adjusted for inflation, due to competition. Once the currently manufactured firearms catch up with demand, I suspect that the prices will improve, to some degree. However, ammo may take a little longer, due to the increased demand of more shooters but the production will increase and and prices will improve.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:30 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 11,889 Times in 2,718 Posts

Local ammo prices are dropping as supply increases; 9mm Win 100 round boxes at Bass Pro for $39.99 last week; plenty of 45acp, 40 S&W, and 5.56 on the shelves. Bought 300 Blackout Sub Sonic Hornady for $29.99 a box; haven't seen any of that for sale in a long time. Powder and primers available at the LGS although roughly double "old" prices but half the gun show asking prices. We appear to be on the edge of the end of the ammo shortage.

But I'm with the previous posters commenting on inflation. With trillions of dollars sloshing around in the economy and the Congress on the verge of borrowing and printing and spending another $4.5 trillion prices for everything will continue to rise. Specifically for guns, collectible pieces will likely rise faster than inflation and prices for the mass produced plastic stuff, barring political intervention, will rise with inflation.

But guns/ammo aren't stocks and generally aren't great investments. Buy them because you like them not because you think they'll make you rich.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Old 09-13-2021, 01:38 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 36,090 Times in 4,523 Posts

Personally, I so not see the plastic prices being sustainable. At some point, the market will be over run with them. Actually it already is.

The people that put their money into yesterday's quality blue steel and walnut will not see prices drop like the composite guns. They are collectible, and they are not making any more
Old 09-13-2021, 01:41 PM

Liked 2,827 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgianni View Post
In 2016 prior to the election AR's ran near $1500 for a basic model if you could find them. They dropped to $500 in two years.
After the drop, I watched guys walking around the gunshows wondering why they couldn't get $1,000 out of their used DPMS or Bushmaster AR.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:43 PM
Liked 28,082 Times in 8,896 Posts

But it’s not even close to what that 1959 version would sell for . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1ritter View Post
I bought a new Colt Python in 1959 (#6306) for list price of $125. The inflation calculator says that today that is an $1,126.62 dollar cost. Not too far off the cost of a new one.

Stu
Old 09-13-2021, 07:08 PM
Liked 1,669 Times in 495 Posts

I find it pretty humorous when guys get all excited over the prices of guns and ammo when they are talking on $1000 phones and driving $60,000 trucks...
Old 09-13-2021, 07:24 PM
US Veteran
Liked 18,209 Times in 5,013 Posts

Interesting thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.

I follow one segment: Chiefs Specials from 1950 through 2000.

My sources are two auction sites and two "guns for sale" sights.

I've come to two generalizations in the last year and a half. In the immediate post-Trump months there was a low point is offerings, and the prices were lofty. (The old economists "supply and demand" theory was hard at work.)

Since early this summer supply has been pretty good. The prices are still lofty because sellers have become greedy, and folks aren't shopping. They're paying 12-month-ago prices because it seems they're afraid they have to.

In the last week I've watched more than a handful of plain Jane Model 60s bring $700 and more.

I've been following one Model 60 as new in the box (gorgeous) that's sat untouched for $550 + $40 shipping. The saleman told me his consignee would take $540 out-the-door. Still it sits.

I'm not a shopper. If I need jeans or mayo or mustard I pay the going tariff at whichever store I'm in.

With Chiefs, though, I'm a shopper. There is no local Chiefs market so I hawk the online sites. It pays to shop around.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:31 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 36,090 Times in 4,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
I find it pretty humorous when guys get all excited over the prices of guns and ammo when they are talking on $1000 phones and driving $60,000 trucks...
The new loaded electric ford F150 is 90K

Back in about 68 I bought a new Remington 700ADL in 22-250. I almost passed out paying 145.00 for it. Now I have spare triggers for trap guns that cost 2K.

Well, there are no more Perazzi trap guns in my future, or 90,000.00 trucks
Old 09-13-2021, 09:19 PM
SWCA Member
Gun prices: are they here to stay? Gun prices: are they here to stay?  
Liked 6,861 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narragansett View Post
Personally, I so not see the plastic prices being sustainable. At some point, the market will be over run with them. Actually it already is.

The people that put their money into yesterday's quality blue steel and walnut will not see prices drop like the composite guns. They are collectible, and they are not making any more
Yep. I keep a record of every gun bought and sold. In 2014 I bought a 95% 67–1 on gunbroker for $200. Now they go for $600. A 28-2 in 95% 2 years ago for $425. Now they’re $800. A 19-2 for $249 in 99% condition 8 years ago. A 686 snub with Combat grips for $525, now they go for $900. Plastic guns go up in a panic when people want the latest and greatest, but always fall when the panic ends. I dearly regret selling the mint wheel guns I have. I still have some very nice ones and they’re not going anywhere.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:52 AM
Liked 5,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonjames65 View Post
Greetings,

The question I have, which really can be applied to every gun forum category here, is the following:

Are the current gun prices here to stay? ...
No, GT Distributors had 10/9/21 a bunch of S&W Model 64-7 HB used revolvers for $299.99 That price is actually lower than 2019 prices. New gun sale prices are down, but to about standard discount prices before the shortage. My local Shooters of Jacksonville, FL.

Geoff
Who notes used Glock 40 S&W Caliber pistol prices are down, 9 mm still up over the cost of new guns available at "Blue Label" prices to US Veterans.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:16 PM
Liked 163 Times in 58 Posts

I believe that the top of the line, most desirable S&W revolvers in pristine condition will continue to rise in value, but everything else will fall somewhat. I think that the majority of enthusiasts might be collectors to a degree, but mostly enjoy shooting and don't worry over every scratch or ding. The double whammy of sky high ammo prices combined with other economic pressures from inflation will dampen people's interest in vintage revolvers if they can't afford to shoot them.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:28 AM
Liked 482 Times in 196 Posts

If the Republicans take control of Congress in the mid-term elections; prices should drop considerably; if not they will keep going up. There are also an awful lot of brand new gun buyers out there.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 11:58 AM
Liked 11,729 Times in 5,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedford View Post
If the Republicans take control of Congress in the mid-term elections; prices should drop considerably; if not they will keep going up. There are also an awful lot of brand new gun buyers out there.

Yes and no. Let's not discount the effect of the coronavirus pandemic on demand and especially on supply. Demand may drop, but if there is another drop in supply, we will still see shortages and resultant higher prices. For those still looking to buy, if new is not available, the prospective buyers will likely turn to the used market.

Last edited by stansdds; 09-21-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:17 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,156 Times in 1,126 Posts

I think everything will stay more expensive.
Your guns aren't worth more, your money is worth less.

Tangible goods beat dead Presidents on paper.
SWCA #2420
Old 09-21-2021, 02:41 PM
Liked 28,226 Times in 5,272 Posts

I don't see the new generation of buyers having much interest in old steel relics.
They are all interested capacity and gimmicks.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:59 PM
Liked 15,202 Times in 5,250 Posts

Haven’t gun prices always risen? True, it’s accelerated now and I think that might ebb eventually.
We “ Older generation” don’t deny it’s happening and I’m more frustrated than angry about it but what can you do? If that’s the price and we want it that’s what’s paid.
I hope prices return to a normal appreciation rate but who knows?
Old 09-21-2021, 03:31 PM
Liked 1,373 Times in 573 Posts

Most of the "new generation" shooters don't care much about old Winchesters or Colts much, but some do. It's a lot like classical music. When I check out my local gun stores, I don't see a lot of bargain pre-lock S&Ws gathering dust in the display cases and haven't in years.

As far as new guns are concerned, I believe the general trend will be up. Wages are going up and basic metal prices have been going up for a long time. Besides that, many citizens are a long way from convinced that our society is stable. We could be facing draconian in the near future. Who knows?

If I had a quality gun I wanted and the money to purchase it, I would be getting it ASAP.

Last edited by white cloud; 09-21-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Liked 2,284 Times in 474 Posts

New gun prices in my area have gone up in relation to the "buying panic". I don't, as a rule, buy new guns. A couple of examples of used guns I've bought recently. All steel, Springfield Ronin Operator, box, spare mags, soft case, etc. $699.00, first gen all steel, Baby Desert Eagle box, spare mags, etc.$499.00. Used gun prices have jumped on the plastic wonders, Glocks running about $500 - $675 depending on the model. I used to buy them for $375 to $400. We dinosaurs are pretty safe buying those all steel relics. As mentioned above, if that's the price and you want it, that's the price you pay.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 09-23-2021, 11:50 AM
Liked 3,255 Times in 1,346 Posts

I am of the older generation. Old enough to disagree with a lot of my older cohorts that think all will return to what was normal two or three years ago.
Gun ownership is going up, but participation in legal shooting activities are going down, permanently.
The supply of new guns will improve somewhat. But at higher prices due to several factors like skilled labor shortages and increases in other overhead costs.
It gets harder each year for a growing number of shooters and potential shooters to simply find a place to shoot. Ammo prices will not go all the way back to what they were a few short years ago.
My somewhat advanced age allows me to see that many of the factors behind the current gun and ammo supply crises’ (and others) are something we have never really had to deal with before, and that the general public is largely unaware of.

Last edited by smoothshooter; 09-23-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:25 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,461 Times in 2,182 Posts

I just realized I haven't contributed to this thread.

My feeling is both ammo and firearms prices will drop a bit this year and maybe next year. But that won't last and prices will go up again beyond where they are today. The cycles are becoming more frequent and prices are generally going up at a faster rate. Inflation, demand, increased labor costs, raw material costs and shipping costs all play into this. The political landscape is also changing.

Personally, I'm not a seller anymore, where I was as recently as last year. I've realized that even some firearms that I own now but rarely shoot will have substantially increased value in the not to distant future. Especially the more reliable autos built in the last 20 years.

A good example is a new Mini-14 I purchased 3 years ago for $725. New price today is 1K. Who'd thunk it?

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 09-23-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:11 AM

I just purchased a Taurus 856 stainless steel at Academy on sale for $330. Going price locally is $400.
Geoff
Who advises you to comparison shop.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:50 AM
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,375 Posts

I was in several gun shops yesterday looking for 12 gauge target loads. Scarce is a mild understatement.
Supplies and prices for 9mm and 5.56 were much better than I have seen in a long time though. All shotgun ammo was basically nonexistent.
Bird season is upon us and I predict much lower hunter numbers due to the lack of ammo this year.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:40 AM
Banned
Liked 2,151 Times in 854 Posts

Prices are already dropping. At gun shows lately you see Gen 5 Glocks going new in box for G17 $549, G22 $499. The $1000 Smith AR is now $700. The $1600 6920 is now a bit over $1K. The $700 Sub 2000 is now $500.

I've seen all this before. We're still not at the $485 G19, the $410 M&P9, and the $349 Sub 2000, but we'll get there, or close to it, as the PANIC subsides.

Last edited by Univibe; 09-25-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Liked 3,292 Times in 1,411 Posts

On the one hand people say we're hurting ourselves by paying scalper's prices for primers. Maybe gun costs wouldn't be so exorbitant if people didn't snarf them up (and hoard them) at the same outrageous prices.

Last edited by max503; 09-25-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:59 AM
Liked 3,292 Times in 1,411 Posts

I do not believe the demand for revolvers is from new shooters. Out of 25 people in my CC renewal class, there were two revolver shooters. Me, and an older guy with an NAA 22 magnum. Everybody else had bottom feeders.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:23 AM

Interesting; I just purchased a Glock G42 .380 caliber under the Blue Label Price for US Vets honorably discharged (bring your copy of DD214 to the Blue Label Dealer) for $318. Locally they go for a lot more.
Geoff
Who notes he also bought a S&W M&P EZ .380, just to keep my personal battery in balance.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:34 AM
Liked 28,082 Times in 8,896 Posts

Blue Label prices haven't really changed. But the availability has. Nice pickup . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic 9c View Post
Interesting; I just purchased a Glock G42 .380 caliber under the Blue Label Price for US Vets honorably discharged (bring your copy of DD214 to the Blue Label Dealer) for $318. Locally they go for a lot more.
Geoff
Who notes he also bought a S&W M&P EZ .380, just to keep my personal battery in balance.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:48 PM
Liked 22,929 Times in 3,222 Posts

Seems to me that gun prices today are
based on world events (there's a bulletin).

Up then down....vice/versa.....

Next mass shooting.
Street riots/Civil unrest
Aliens blast a gamma ray into the White House....
ETC....