Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!!  
Liked 138 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Re:The letters and numbers "DPD 12345" on the revolvers' back strap- how were they added? Hand stamped or by machine?
Thanks,
Jimmy
It depends on the gun. My Merwin Hulbert looks to be hand stamped with a center punch there are about 30 punch's a letter. I have seen some colts 1903 for example looks to be engraved with an italic font. Most look to be stamped with some style machine as the Detroit Police looks perfect and numbers look a little uneven.

No I have never come across a model 22 .45 DPD marked gun never knew one existed as Detroit was never a big Caliber city. mostly .32, .38 I will get some pictures of guns up soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!!  

Don't forgot everybody please say a Prayer for the DPD officer just shot looks like he will be ok. Stay safe.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up History

Nice look back at some pistol history. Cool....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,116 Times in 304 Posts
Default Model 22 no dash

Aero and Moose:

I just got this gun lettered and, according to Roy, it was shipped on Sept. 9th of 1966 to Bob Erath Co., in South Bend but was bound for, and marked for, the City of Detroit Police. It is a 4 screw Model 22, serial #S211365. Although it was shipped with conventional trigger/hammer setup, they were replaced with target parts and the front sight was very professionally serrated on the rear half of the half moon. It no longer has the Dept. stamp on it and has been refinished. Although the barrel is not serial number stamped, both the extractor star and cylinder possess numbers matching that of the frame. The double action is butter smooth and it shoots very nicely. I took the pic this evening in failing light so the stamp markings look blurred. They are sharp in reality.

Ed

Last edited by smith17; 09-10-2009 at 08:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Smith 17 Did the S&W letter tell you what number was stamped into the gun for Detroit. I have no doubt it was bound for Detroit. I have herd stories of back in the day officers being able to order through the Dept for super cheap guns but never herd of them actually being Stamped Detroit Police with a stock number.

It sucks that the numbers were removed during refinshing. That is my dilemma with my Merwin Hulbert. At this point it will stay as is because to refinish it correctly is in the thousands.

Detroit actually has records back to the beginning. The problem is the guy I always delt with passed away a few months ago and the new people are less than helpful. If it was ever checked in to Detroit Police it's in one of those books and where it went when they got rid of it. I will make some inquires with a few friends if nothing else to see if there were ever any model 22's checked in.

I would like to letter my Colt Police Positive as it was returned to colt in 1927 for credit. I would be interested to know where it went from there if colt recorded that info. But their letters are not cheap one day I will get it.

Last edited by Aerojoe; 09-11-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 AM
US Veteran
Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!!  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thes are some great guns. I have recently taken an interest in smith's that were pd guns. I am looking for a DPD marked gun right now and I am sure I will be able to find one. As soon as I do I will post some pics.

snakeman
Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Liked 1,013 Times in 231 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman32 View Post
Thes are some great guns. I have recently taken an interest in smith's that were pd guns. I am looking for a DPD marked gun right now and I am sure I will be able to find one. As soon as I do I will post some pics.

snakeman
snakeman,
Moosedog has a very nice DPD revolver for sale!
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...s-reduced.html

Last edited by whitecoyote; 09-12-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:08 AM
US Veteran
Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!!  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks whitecoyote. I looked at it earlier today but I am away with the National Guard right now and wont be back untill Sept 29th and can't really do much right now.

snakeman
Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Default Dpd 64-4

This 64-4 from 1988 was never issued. Note they even wrote their number on the box(top left). I'm guessing this is probably getting towards the end for revolver purchases but don't really know.

Bob
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM

I am just about out of DPD marked handguns I will show . I will post a picture of a 95% Winchester model 12 riot shotgun when I can get a good picture. I have been told there were only ever 50 purchased and tested by DPD before they went to the High standard shotgun because of $$$. I herd MTB had them which accounts for the perfect condition. All HS's were destroyed along with the marlin & winchester 94's by the Dept at the Rouge steel mill in the late 80's so I am told .

Last edited by Aerojoe; 10-11-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,753 Times in 3,343 Posts

Nice model 22 even if refinished.
DPD had department orders and then there were orders by indivdual officers with letters stating that they were police officers and ordering guns for duty use.
The DPD ordered guns were marked with department inventory numbers on the backstrap on S&Ws and on the bottom of the frame on Colts.
Guns ordered by individuals would not have an inventory number on the gun.
Does it look like the inventory number was polished off on the model 22?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 AM

The only problem is Detroit never issued .45 acp guns. I am going to see a retired Dpd gunsmith in the next week or two I will ask him about these guns if he knows. It would be interesting to see how many guns were in that order that never made it to Detroit will S&W tell you if asked? I always thought they said how many guns were in a shipment to a Dept when lettering a gun? Unless it was a last minute change to stay with the .38's??

The model 10-5 was not the last 38's ordered by the department. They had about 500 NIB never issued model 64-5's SS that were sold to century arms in 1991.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerojoe View Post
They had about 500 NIB never issued model 64-5's SS that were sold to century arms in 1991.
Would the 64-4 2" I posted on page 8 been mixed in with the 64-5 3" and 4" or was that another order? My understanding is that the -4 and -5 is just barrel length.

Bob
Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Would the 64-4 2" I posted on page 8 been mixed in with the 64-5 3" and 4" or was that another order? My understanding is that the -4 and -5 is just barrel length.

Bob

I am not sure if they were the same order. The way I understand from a few retired guys from firearms it's order's depended on different things. Was DPD planning on hiring new po's were there a lot of guys retiring taking their guns, was there any extra money for a gun purchase minimum run required.

I doubt your gun was purchased with the 64-5's. The way I understand it they were bought just before the change to glocks in 91. That is why none of the 64-5's were ever issued. Your 2" 64 is marked as a 64-4 not a 64-2? My 2" 64 is marked 64-2 and was issued in 1988 to a retiring range officer.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM

As a side note I do believe with the new change to the M&P40's Detroit will no longer have any model 10's, OFPMKIII's, or officer owned guns in use anymore.

When they changed to the glocks in 91 there were a bunch of officers that wanted to keep their wheel guns. I think mostly do to the fact they were not allowed to buy "their" guns. I know a few who just didn't want a plastic gun. But since they are selling the officers their guns this time I think everybody will change over.

I believe my father's last partner before being promoted was the last officer to carry his own supplied weapon a Colt Anaconda and he retired with a Duty disability last fall.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I doubt your gun was purchased with the 64-5's. The way I understand it they were bought just before the change to glocks in 91. That is why none of the 64-5's were ever issued. Your 2" 64 is marked as a 64-4 not a 64-2? My 2" 64 is marked 64-2 and was issued in 1988 to a retiring range officer.
Mine is definitely a 64-4. Since it's a 1988ish gun, based on what you say it appears to be part of another order before the 64-5's in 1991.

Bob
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

The 64-5's were not bought in 91. 1991 is when they started to issue the glock 22's. If I remember right the 64-5 I saw was around stock number 30K. I am not sure the year they were ordered but yours would have been I think around the mid 80's. If I can find my book with when mine was checked in I could tell you they were probably the same order as they are not far off mine is a 64-2. I might be able to get some info for you in a week or so or maybe I will get lucky and find my little notebook .
Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Sorry Bk43 I didn't have have a chance to check on that number been busy as Hell.

I did just pick up another DPD gun had to goto BumF**ck Egypt to get it and paid a little more than I wanted but it was an auction. It was listed just as a Detroit gun when I got there it looked like a model 10 with no 10-5 marking. I called the old man and he made a quick call DPD records have it listed as a S&W police special 5" barrel. I know my M&P is recorded as a M&P in the DPD records. Did smith make a "police special" or was somebody not put in M&P and just called it a police special it is a 5 screw gun???

Does anybody know what year Smith went from the just MADE IN USA to the Marcas Registradas stamp and were M&P's marked with the later??? Never seen a 5" M&P in nickel seen the snub nose not the 5". I will get a pic up in the next week or so when I have time.I also need to find a set of original grips these had crazy wood grips with a finger rest on them. DPD# is 10084.

Last edited by Aerojoe; 10-23-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know what year Smith went from the just MADE IN USA to the Marcas Registradas stamp and were M&P's marked with the later???
The change order was issued on 4-26-1948 so starting sometime after that date. M&P's were certainly included.

Bob
Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!! Detroit PD gun picture thread?!!!!  
Liked 1,166 Times in 723 Posts

Great thread and have enjoyed reading it and seeing your guns. I have no DPD guns but have seen a few for sale around here. Closest I own is a Colt Commando used by Buick plant protection during WWII and stamped in same manner. Those might make an interesting thread as I believe S&W Victorys were also used in war plants then.

I do have a buddy that is a retired DPD LEO. His first day as a rookie was the day the 1967 riots started. He was issued a Colt and on that first day found himself alone and facing rioters and looters. He's told me he fired that gun and doesn't know if he hit his targets but did enable him to get out of there.
I know he later went to a S&W M-19 but don't know if it was issue or personal weapon. He has some good stories about his days in the DPD carrying those wheelies.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned
Liked 1,610 Times in 884 Posts

Isn't Detroit pretty much an 'anti-civillian owning guns' kinda city? Odd that the PD would release guns to dealers.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 PM

I would not say Detroit is anti-gun I live here. They do however put stipulation on their guns being resold in this area. Which is why they are all over the country and not alot around Mi except the po's that have them.

I have been told that they did this again with the change over to the M&P40's. All glocks are being shipped off the only ones coming back to Detroit are the ones the officers are buying back( their issued gun). It is said they are not going to be allowed to sell the guns to any dealers or Distributors around Mi not sure how tight they are going to be with this.

They are getting top $$$. Last word officer will have to pay around $465 for their guns which is a lot considering some (most) are almost 20yrs old gen 1's . But Like my father said it was his for 20yrs and he wants it back besides he gets his M&P free when he retires.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM

Liked 99 Times in 29 Posts

Wow that 2"er really looks nice!!!!\
Just one thing would make it look nicer~~~~~
~~If it were in my safe~~~~
What a Beauty!!!
Peter
Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Detroit Police marked glocks and carbines are hitting dealers across America now. The prices are not cheap reasonable but not cheap. Mine are on the way

Last edited by Aerojoe; 11-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Liked 99 Times in 29 Posts

What kind of carbines and how about a link to where you're getting yours from!
Peter
Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 PM

They are just M1 carbines GI some alpines and Universals aswell but they want over $500 for Universals I got a pretty decent deal on a grade one Winchester $840 no link call your dealer tell them to order you one they should know where. I do know dealer price on the winchester was like $779 grade 1 and Postal meters were $759 grade one add dealer mark up and you are over $800 fast.

But like I said they are not deals but if you collect Detroit guns you buy. I am not sure where all the ****** carbines are I have only seen grade 1 and grade 2 . I though somebody told me there were over 2k DPD carbines not sure I know there were alot.

The glocks are slowly coming out I have not come across any gen 3 model 22's (there are said to be over 1k NIB) just gen 2 22's and I have 23's and 27's on order all Detroit marked. These are just getting out.

The only problem is supply of quality .30 carbine ammo at a good price good thing I have a couple thousand rounds in my ammo fort. Not sure were all the ammo went from DPD???

Last edited by Aerojoe; 11-03-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Here is an IBM IBM M1 Carbine .30 Carbine Cal. Non-Import - Military Rifles 30 Caliber Carbine

Last edited by Aerojoe; 11-03-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Whitecoyote that model 10 is beautiful it looks to be unfired no "drag line". Why would you shoot it? I am all for shooting my guns even my rarest and nicest but I don't shoot my never fired guns???
Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Liked 115 Times in 74 Posts

Who has the turned in Glocks from DPD? I'd love a G27 from Detroit PD.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
SWCA Member
Default model 22

Moosedog:
Sorry, I lost track of this thread. It is apparent that the backstrap had been polished/milled down to get rid of any identifying marks. The rear of the magnas is not flush with the backstrap but is flush on the other sides, indicating to me that there was metal removed.

Aerojoe:
Not sure why there is a problem just because no .45s were issued to the department. I never indicated that it was an issued gun, only what Roy's letter stated.

Ed
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM

smith there is no problem I never said that you said it was issued. I was just really surprised Detroit ever even placed an order for .45 revolvers.

A lot of DPD officers including my father bought their own guns. They didn't want the little .38. I know quite a few carried model 25 smiths they liked the reliability of the revolver and the large .45rd .

I talk and or see a few guys that worked or work at DPD firearms sections and the DPD range. I asked why they only ever issued .38's they usually said because everybody could handle them. It surprised most that Detroit had .45's on order at one time and nobody ever remembered seeing them in inventory ( doesn't mean they weren't there).

Detroit has ordered some cool guns early colt semi autos merwin hulberts, winchester 94's they even had walther PPK's " these were DPOA guns ok'd for duty use even though they were .380 . They even have early uzi's full and micro and Gi Thompson's.

The 45's could have very well been another gun they wanted to try out just seamed odd as they always pushed the .38's from the early 1900's up to 1992.

I NEVER said I had a problem with the gun I was just trying to get more info on it for you as Detroit has records back to gun #1 of what they were where they went and who they went to. They don't give info to non Dept personnel to my knowledge.

I don't like asking friends to check stuff for other people but if it is a weird gun like yours it gets me interested to see how many Detroit had and where they might have went to now. It also is interest sometimes like my Merwin Hulbert was sold to a hardware store for $6 in the early 1900's.

Oh well for trying to get somebody some extra info on a off the wall DPD marked gun
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

The DPD glocks are at distributors you have to have your dealer order them. Any dealer can order them as long as they have an FFL. I am not sure if 27's are even available anymore I don't think there were that many available. Not all the guns are gone I have yet to see any of the Gen 3 glock 22's available.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
SWCA Member

Joe:
I must have misread or mis-taken your comment. My apologies.
Ed
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
US Veteran

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts

Aerojoe. All of those DPD HS shotguns didn't get destroyed. A friend of mine has one and I helped him clean it up. I did the metal, he did the wood. I refinished nothing, but took the gun apart and cleaned it in a solvent tank. Someone had put some cheezy shellac finish on the stock. Ron stripped it, without removing the battle scars, and put a low gloss tung oil on it (we're history buffs and would never touch a factory finish). Looks great and does the noble duty of standing watch over his home. It has, IIRC, a 20" barrel, bead front sight, seven shot magazine (7+1), plastic butt plate and parkerized finish.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM

flop-shank I have herd there are a couple that are out there but the majority of them were destroyed I herd they were junk when they finally got rid of them and went to the 870's. Tell your friend if he ever wants to sell it I would be interested. I also have a few guns I might be looking to get rid of non DPD if he is looking to trade it off.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Very nice pictures and some great history there.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Does anyone know if the Detroit PD was unique in issuing nickel handguns or were there other large departments that did that as well? I know that the NYPD prohibited nickel finishes at one point but I'm wondering about other departments.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

i have a 5 inch 10-5 Detroit pd i picked it up at a gun show and few years ago
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
SWCA Member

The Detroit Police Department was not unique in issuing nickeled revolvers, many Midwest and Southern States with humid climates issued nickel guns as they held up better under those conditions. Florida HP comes to mind and you see some coming out of your south west departments.

Here's a presentation model 39 that was awarded to the City of Detroit Police Commisioner " Johannes Spreen" when he retired in 1970.
He then went on to become Sheriff of Oakland County Michigan. Last month I saw a newspaper clip, that showed him celebrating his 90th birthday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johannes Spreen 39 014.jpg (104.1 KB, 336 views)
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Thanks for the reply Moosedog.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Liked 469 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win712 View Post
Great thread, it gives me a chance to again share this story. The old "unmarked" Model 1917 pictured below was obtained from the son of a Detroit PD, Homicide Lieutenant from the late 1920's thru the early 1950's. The son, now 78 years old, told me that his Dad aquired the Army Model 1917, 45 acp in the 1930's after being shot by a perp. The perp had been shot by the Lieutenant with a .38 special, but not stopped. He went to the .45 after this incident because, "when you hit somebody with a .45 they stayed hit". The old revolver was modified to the Homicide Lieutenant's specfications by another guy on the Detroit PD in the 1930's. The barrel was cut down, a front sight adjustable for elevation installed, a rear sight adjustable for windage, and the grip frame was rounded as were the service stocks. A set of Sanderson Grips were made for the revolver and were the ones prefered by the Lieutenant, the holster is a cut down U.S. 1917 issue that has most likely been with the gun since day one. I later learned that Lew Sanderson (grip maker) was on the Detroit PD in the late 1930's, the son told me the guy that made the grips did the modifications to the revolver. The son is the last in his family's line, so he passed his Dad's old friend on to me last fall. Greg

That is one of the best 1917 "Conversions" I have seen.

Back in the day, you would think the S&W factory would produce something like this.

A 45 ACP revolver is a great "Cop" gun.

Back in the day the half moon clips were the ultimate speed loaders.

I used a 6.5 and later a 6" Mod 25 for years as a duty gun.
At first with half moon clips, later with full moon clips.
While the long barrels shot great I always wanted a 4" but just could not cut one down...
Old 11-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Just curious did anybody on here purchase a glock 27????
Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 AM

Liked 115 Times in 74 Posts

Very nice guns.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:59 AM

Just a note for anybody that gets an M1 carbine Detroit marked there were a few that were confiscated guns. They will have a C##### number where the Detroit police stock number is in front of the rear sight for Confiscated gun. There were only a few I believe they all had peep sights but not 100% sure.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,434 Times in 2,045 Posts

This has been a very interesting thread. I just found it today. I have one of the 5" nickel DPD's. Serial number 3D00129. Rack number 20835. I bought it at a gunshow in Gulfport,Ms. a few weeks ago. My old department did the same thing with the High Standard Shotguns. The bonehead in charge traded ALL of our old guns (including 97's, .351 rifles, carbines, Victory revolvers, and a couple of Thompsons) for the Low Standard shotguns. They started falling apart as soon as they were issued and were later replaced by 870's.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Detroit still has all their Thompsons and other "fun guns" I don't see them ever being sold although there are rumors every few years god knows they would make a killing selling them. Not sure I could swing 20k for a Thompson though

The worst part about the DPD 97's most of them were real GI surplus trench guns. They were traded off to century arms and god knows where they ended up. I herd they were only paid $85 a gun in the early 90's even then GI trench guns were worth 1k apiece. They also had some riot models and some confiscated 97's that DPD had cut down to riots.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 PM
SWCA Member

Aerojoe, your gun is a post war S&W M&P or also refered to as a pre model 10. There is no such S&W revolver as a "Smith & Wesson officers police special". It sounds like who ever listed it was thinking of a Colt "Officers Model" maybe or " Offical Police" by Colt and put them all together.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Aerojoe, your gun is a post war S&W M&P or also refered to as a pre model 10. There is no such S&W revolver as a "Smith & Wesson officers police special". It sounds like who ever listed it was thinking of a Colt "Officers Model" maybe or " Offical Police" by Colt and put them all together.

That is pretty much what I figured happened but was not sure.I just thought it was weird that the auction company listed as a "police special" aswell as the DPD but I have herd people refer to the M&P as a police special. I needed a nickel M&P anyway for the collection and the $325 I paid was a pretty good price.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM

If there is anybody LOCAL to Detroit area that is looking for DPD guns I have a few calls to sell me guns that I probably won't want as I do not keep double guns unless they are rare. I am not sure prices usually reasonable (sometimes not) I have a rule to not pay more than $350 unless it is rare or NIB. Send me a private message and if any come across I don't want or need I will let you know. I would like to see the guns goto other DPD gun collectors and most retired Po's want them in a good home. I will not ship any guns I am not an FFL I would just be the middle man not looking for any money.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
SWCA Member

Here's a Standard Products DPD marked M-1 Carbine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPD M-1 Carbine Standard Products 003.jpg (68.0 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg DPD M-1 Carbine Standard Products 006.jpg (59.0 KB, 244 views)

Tags
38spl, basketweave, carbine, colt, detective, glock, leather, military, model 10, model 10-5, model 15, model 1917, model 39, presentation, snubby, snubnose, swca, tacticool, universal, winchester, wwii