Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980
o

Notices

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

View Poll Results: Do you clean the burn rings off the front of the cylinder of your stainless revolvers.
Yes 87 48.60%
No 56 31.28%
Emphatically YES 23 12.85%
Emphatically NO 13 7.26%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean?  
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

There have been threads on all the right ways to clean off burn rings and some say it's a waste of time. In addition for a matte stainless gun the finish will not be really matte any more.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean?  

There have been threads on all the right ways to clean off burn rings and some say it's a waste of time. In addition for a matte stainless gun the finish will not be really matte any more.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Liked 28,226 Times in 5,272 Posts

Nah, When the bad guy looks at the business end of that gun, those black rings make the holes look as big as the Holland Tunnel, and he knows I have fired it a few times too.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts

I only clean them up on my stainless revolvers. And only once or twice a year at that. My blued revolvers I simply wipe them off. It's not worth the effort otherwise. c good
Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean? Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean?  
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

I try not to look at that end of the gun, myself.

I leave that to others.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Nah, When the bad guy looks at the business end of that gun, those black rings make the holes look as big as the Holland Tunnel, and he knows I have fired it a few times too.

I respect your Law Enforcement background and only you and your Brothers can make that statement.
Thanks Chip!

I on the other hand, must keep those dirty rings clean and gone every time in from the range!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Liked 8,326 Times in 2,628 Posts

If it's a "shooter" there is no reason to do so.

The rings don't affect the accuracy or reliability of the gun!! Clean the barrel and clean and maintain all moving parts and the gun will probably last a couple of lifetimes.

Don
Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:

I have a beater truck for haulin wood and junker car parts but I still change the oil and wash the 'ole girl
Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Liked 379 Times in 149 Posts

When I clean a gun, I clean it all the way. I don't do it half way.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VM:
Quote:

I have a beater truck for haulin wood and junker car parts but I still change the oil and wash the 'ole girl
VM --- Read why not read the rest of my post!!

Here, I'll help!!
-- "Clean the barrel and clean and maintain all the moving parts and the gun will probably last a couple of lifetimes."

Don
Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
SWCA Member

Don - look this up in the dictionary []

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings Pal - I DID read your entire post including the "rest of your post".

Problem is the "rest of your post" don't have nothin to do with what the thread is about.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 PM

VM said: I DID read your entire post including the "rest of your post".

Problem is the "rest of your post" don't have nothin to do with what the thread is about.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I didn't realize the post was about maintaining old trucks!!

VM, you can interpret the post your way and I'll interpret the post my way. It's not worth arguing with you about --- so don't get your panties in a wad.

Don
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
SWCA Member

No Panties here in Alabama - we'll shoot a Man for that around here

It's all GOOD!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Liked 2,259 Times in 694 Posts

I am about to anger a large group of people on the board.

When I wore a gun every day I kept it functionally clean but never polished the black off the front of the cylinder... Now I only clean my guns every few months and still never do more than a wipe down of the cylinder face..
works for Me!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,168 Times in 604 Posts

Cleaning Burn marks on a Stainless gun is simple and fast....I use solvent (Shooters Choice or Hoppes)on a kitchen scrub pad that is cut into strips...
the pads, depending on grit, are colored....
green/yellow - the most abrasive
Blue/blue ---slightly abrasive (safe on teflon)
Pink/white --mildly abrasive

I use the white/pink on nickel guns, but the blue/blue works on all but the worst burns.

Terry
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjpopkin:
Cleaning Burn marks on a Stainless gun is simple and fast....I use solvent (Shooters Choice or Hoppes)on a kitchen scrub pad that is cut into strips...

I use the white/pink on nickel guns, but the blue/blue works on all but the worst burns.

Terry
Have you done this on matte/bead blast finished stainless? Does it make the finish less "matte"?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 387 Times in 188 Posts

I clean the burn marks off the front cylinder of my stainless guns about every 4th time to the range. It makes me feel better and does no harm if I don't over-do it.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

I use Hoppes or BREAKFREE, a nylon brush, and allow time for the solvent to work. Remnants, if desired can be dispatched with a small cotton swipe with a dab of Semichrome or Flitz metal polish in it's fold. Never use something that is really abrasive.

More important than the cylinder front, as to cleaning, are the chambers. Everyone cleans the bore, but the chambers are often overlooked. Obtain a proper brass/bronze chamber brush - both longer and slightly larger OD than a 'bore' brush - and clean the chambers. This is of the utmost importance when shooting shorter cased rounds in a longer chamber, like .45 Schofield in a .45 Colt; .44 Russians/Specials in a .44 Magnum; .38 Specials in a .357 Magnum; or .32 S&WL in a .32 H&RM. Again, a decent solvent and time are your 'friends' here.

Stainz
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally posted by TenMan:
Quote:
Originally posted by tjpopkin:

Terry
Have you done this on matte/bead blast finished stainless? Does it make the finish less "matte"?
If you are concerned about abrasives on stainless, Birchwood-Casey lead remover cloth can be your friend, esp. the area between the top strap and the forcing cone. Don't use it on blued finishes. Use a bronze brush and a suitable cleaning compound for the bores of the barrel and cylinder.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Burn Marks on the cylindar face - To clean or not to clean?  
Liked 246 Times in 136 Posts

The most I do is wipe off the Hoppes residue from cleaning the chambers.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 AM

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

To clean the front of a stainless cylinder, I use a Lead Away cloth. It takes off the carbon and the lead, and doesn't affect the finish at all. Only takes about five minutes, and the cylinder looks brand new when I'm done.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 AM

Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

I do clean them , but I only use powder solvent,
gun oil, nylon brushes and cloth.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I clean fouling from the front of the cylinder, but never bother with the burn marks. To me, they're normal and do no harm, kind of like the turn line.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Liked 3,813 Times in 1,243 Posts

Same here, clean with a brush and Shooter's Choice, leave the carbon ring.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:47 AM

I have used a Birch Casey Lead cloth which does take some time if I don't do it after each trip. I often put solvent on it before and let it sit but it doesn't seem to do much to remove the burn marks.

I've not really tried to bruch them with a nylon brush but I may try that.

The Lead cloth seems to make the finish less matte but perhaps that is just my eyes.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts

I clean mmy guns and care for them properly. I clean the fouling from the front of the cylinder but I don't bother with the burn rings. My revolvers wear their burn rings like a badge of honor, showing they are really used and shot as they were meant to be, and not just safe queens. But, that's just me.

The only time I could see worrying about it would be on a seldom used safe queen or on a gun that you are trying to sell and want it to present especially well to prospective buyers.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Liked 64 Times in 15 Posts

When I clean a stainless revolver I always remove the carbon burn rings from the cylinder face. I do it for aesthetic reasons, not functional reasons.

I generally use MP-7 gun solvent and let it sit on the area for about 5 minutes first. Then I use an old toothbrush to scrub it off. I use the same MP-7 solvent inside the cylinders and barrel. You can buy MP-7 in gel form from Midway and other vendors.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I clean all the filth of my guns. By the time I am done, Sr. Drill Instructor Hartman would be impressed.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Liked 460 Times in 228 Posts

The easy and cheap way to get burn marks off stainless (cylinder and frame) is chrome polish and a toothbrush.

I do a 100% cleaning at the end of the league cycle where I will be going to a different gun.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jmorrell:
To clean the front of a stainless cylinder, I use a Lead Away cloth. It takes off the carbon and the lead, and doesn't affect the finish at all. Only takes about five minutes, and the cylinder looks brand new when I'm done.
I used one of those on a matte stainless revolver and it did make the cylinder face less matte. It doesn't hurt a "natural" stainless gun but it does change the finish of the matte guns. The instructions also warn about using it on a blued revolver.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 AM

It's running right at 60% for and 40% against cleaning the cylinder face.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts

I would say that if you're concerned about keeping your matte finish matte, then don't use anything you wouldn't use on a blued gun. Chemical solvents will do no harm but, anything that cleans by mechanical action (abrasives) strong enough to remove the metal oxides of a blued finish are probably strong enough to remove minute amounts of metal and most likely will tend to "de-matte" or "gloss-up" the metal in time, with repeated use.

But then again, I'm one of the ones that doesn't worry about the carbon rings, even on my brushed stainless guns.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

On a stainless gun I have no concerns about using a bronze brush as vigorously as is necessary to take off the burn marks. A little solvent and a minute or two of elbow grease works wonders. I have a totally different approach with blued guns. On these I use a lead removing cloth and I wipe the cylinder face until the marks are indistinguishable to the naked eye. I also clean my guns after each session. That prevents build up and makes the cleaning process a lot easier.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Yes I clean the cylinder face on all my revolvers and remove the burn rings on my stainless guns. My nickel 586 gets to keep them, except when it's time for it's annual complete tear down. I scrub the cylinder face with Hopppe's 9 and an old bore brush (except the nickel 586. I use Breakfree CLP on it), then I firish with Iosso bore cleaner on cotton swabs to get the burn rings. I'm quite fussy about my weapons. The cylinders of my NAA .22s are the easiest. I soak them in the Hoppe's jar overnight and the cylinder face is already half clean when I remove them the next day.

Tags
357 magnum, 44 magnum, 586, colt, fouling, schofield, solvent