Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Avery11's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Location Location
Posts: 688
Likes: 315
Liked 357 Times in 162 Posts
Default Model 66 three inch - what's the big deal?

I know I'm in for it and I did try the search but didn't see what I was looking for.

The model 66 in three inch is very attractive and I would like to have one, I suppose.

BUT what is so special about it? I see alot of them in 2.5". Isn't that close enough? Are they rare?

I thought the K frame was shunned by folks who think it's too light for the .357 magnum.

Is there a certain revision (dash) that is better or more desireable than the others?

I guess I want to be talked into one. How deep can I expect to go into the wallet to have one?

LAY IT ON ME **Bragging pics and thread links welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default

The model 66 with a 3" uses a full length ejector rod vs. the shorter rod used in the 2.5" barrel. This helps with ejecting the empty cases.

I always found the balance of the 3" preferable to the 2.5" guns.

I only owned one 3" model 66 revolver. I bought it new in about 1990. My ex-wife ended up with it in our divorce last year.

I don't have the actual production figures, but the 3" guns weren't a standard production item and therefore there aren't nearly as many out there as the 2.5" guns.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #3  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
diamonback68's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Flawda
Posts: 6,605
Likes: 381
Liked 2,162 Times in 983 Posts
Default

All things being equal though, I think the $1000 to $1500 going prices are absolutely insane. The 65 3" is a far better carry gun at a half to a third the price.
__________________
Dick
SWCA #2292
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Avery11's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Location Location
Posts: 688
Likes: 315
Liked 357 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
I only owned one 3" model 66 revolver. I bought it new in about 1990. My ex-wife ended up with it in our divorce last year.
Thank you. I'm sorry to dig into a wound like that - seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Ashlander's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ellisville, Missouri
Posts: 930
Likes: 395
Liked 188 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Avery: I can't add much, but that was a great question. Another gun that's nice but way too expensive is the Model 65 Lady Smith. That too has a 3" inch barrel -- and is remarkably like a 3" Model 66 (it has a shroud around the ejector rod unlike other 65s), but without the adjustable sights.

As for being able to handle full magnum loads -- you are right -- it is not as heavy as the L-frames, but most K-frame guys shoot 38 Special anyway. I suppose some of the appeal of the K-frame over the L-frames is that those old K-frames were a bit lighter, sleeker -- which made them a bit more elegant. And when you put a 3" barrel on that sleek frame -- it just looks perfect (and as Beat Trash pointed out, the longer ejector rod guarantees positive extraction.

I have a 3" 65 -- that's as close as I am going to get.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,399
Likes: 19
Liked 832 Times in 383 Posts
Default

I've owned a 2.5" barreled Model 66 for a long time. It's been a real favorite and when I was younger, I loved shooting .357 Magnums out of it. Now, many years later, I finally started acquiring 3.0" barreled K frames. First a Model 64-3, then a Model 13-3, and lately, a Model 65-3. I was very surprised at the difference 0.5" made in barrel length. "Pointability" is definitely different - as is the POI/POA. I found a set of CT laser grips DO have to be adjusted when switching between the Model 66 and the 3.0" barreled siblings. With the advances in technology, I'm quite happy with the +P loadings for short barreled revolvers in my K-frames, but I do kinda miss the instant suntans from the old days.

Best of luck,

Dave
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
18DAI's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 3,646
Likes: 2,797
Liked 1,698 Times in 598 Posts
Default

They are quite possibly the perfect carry revolver. Superbly balanced, accurate, well made and look good doing all that. Low maintenance stainless to boot.

Last of the everything you need in a revolver and nothing you don't Smith & Wessons.

The 3 inch 66-4 without porting was made in the smallest numbers, IIRC. It is also the last of the desireable 3 inch 66's, for me. $950 for a LNIB example is a fair price, IMO.

Then again, I already have two. Regards 18DAI
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #8  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I'll be the lone voice of dissent here on 3" revolvers. I have a 2.5" Model 66 which is one of my favorite carry guns. I once had a 3" Model 66, but I eventually sold it, because it just never had the feel to it for me that the shorter one did. I originally bought it, because of all of the hype you read about how great the 3" revolvers are. Being a big fan of snub-nosed revolvers, the 3" Model 66 even looked funny to me. The whole longer ejector rod advantage is WAY overblown. If you handle the gun correctly, by flipping it upside down in your off hand and giving the ejector rod a firm pop, even the most stubbornly stuck cases will come right out every time. If I need a longer barrel than a 2.5",I'll just carry my 4" Model 686.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 186
Likes: 1
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I've owned two M66 3 inchers, and with the going prices I sure wish I had them back!

But... I do prefer my 2 1/2 versions for carry. The shorter barrel won't stick in the car seat when holstered, nor in tender parts of my anatomy when using a IWB and in the appendix position.

As for longer ejection rod, I also caution readers on this.

Tom Givens, of Rangematers, has pointed out more and more robbery teams are 2 and 3 men and a 5 or 6 shot revolver is a very thin reed to sake ones life on in such situations.

So I tell people if you do pack a revolver, pack a second one (or even a Kel-Tec P32!)

They are just so slow at reloading and just 5 or 6 shots, so pack a second one.
__________________
Deaf
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 AM
chief38's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,098
Likes: 473
Liked 1,898 Times in 976 Posts
Default

While the M66 2 1/2" & 3" guns are arguably the "sexiest" guns ever made by S&W, the 3" M65 is just more suited for CCW IMHO. Smoother profile, no adjustable sights to catch on clothing, lighter and less bulky. To me the 3" M65 IS the PERFECT carry Magnum. Not as cool looking as the 2 1/2" or 3" RB M66, but just more practical IMHO.

Chief38
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 AM
chud333's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,095
Likes: 6,441
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default

Here's my 66-3 3" and i love the way it handles and shoots.
My apologies to those who have seen it before.


The grips shown are goners, i have a set of Keith Browns coming.
The box is just a prop.

Chuck
__________________
They hold no Quarter
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 AM
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 3,163
Likes: 26
Liked 519 Times in 216 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Avery11;136337526]I thought the K frame was shunned by folks who think it's too light for the .357 magnum.

Yes, it is shunned for .357 Mag usage by some, but not by all of us by any means. I carried a M-66 for the first 10 years of my career all of the time on duty, and first a 2-1/2 then a 3 incher off duty and plain clothes, and Magnums were pretty well all I ever shot them with. It is a matter of proper technique, grips that fit you and practice. The vast majority of K frame .357's held up just fine.

For a gun to carry for serious purposes, the lighter weight of the K frame .357s over the L and N frames is a big bonus. I have always felt that the three axes of power, portability and shootability cross at the K frame Magnums.

Maybe if you only want it for a range gun for fun, there may be no need to shoot Magnums in a K frame, but many still find the recoil, muzzle blast and fireballs with the shorter barrels to be quite entertaining.

I bought my 3 inch Model 66 early in 1985, out of the first batch of 3 inch 66's made, for Ashland Shooters Supply. I never carried or shot my 2-1/2 inch Model 66 again! I paid $278.00 out the door for it then. I could probably get my money back out of it!

As for which revision or dash number variant is better or most desirable, S&W started the 3 inchers with the 66-2, so none of them will be pinned and recessed, but most S&W fans seem to feel that the earlier, the better and more desirable.

If you want to get spendy, there were limited production versions of the 3 inch M-66 called the F-Comp and the Super K, that have non-regular features like porting and differently shaped barrels, but then you are starting to get into the expensive realm for a shooter.

I always advise folks to buy the version they like the most.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Sebago Son's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sebago Lake, Maine, USA
Posts: 5,307
Likes: 6,266
Liked 5,918 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Here's a little tip for those chasing a 3" 66. Look very, very closely at every short barreled K-T-Magnum you run across. Two of the three 3" 66's that I have bought in the past 5 years or so were mislabeled and priced as if they were the more common 2 1/2" guns.

I remember J&G blowing out the last of the Ashland guns. They were $198.50 NIB and no body seemed to be buying them. As a result alot of them ended up in the hands of 'users' (as opposed to 'collectors') and we all know that these types can be pretty igonarant...

Drew
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Sportsterguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ask the NSA
Posts: 2,201
Likes: 95
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Perfect combo of comfortable carry, great accuracy and will extract a sticky .357 if you ever need to do a speed reload. Also a very handsome S&W IMO. Mines an Ashland model that I paid 275.00 for in 85. Packed it for years till the prices went way up on them. It's my favorite K frame.

Same old pics guys surely must be getting tired of.


__________________
V/R
Roger / SG
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 1,451
Likes: 146
Liked 511 Times in 273 Posts
Default

I never tire of looking at handsome firearms.

Ed
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM
JCS&W's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Posts: 2,118
Likes: 1,628
Liked 1,033 Times in 372 Posts
Default

I am with Ed, always like to look at great Smiths.

OP, if price is not an option, go for a 3" M66. If you just have to have a pinned and recessed M19, you will find they go for high prices as well. I would suggested looking at a M19-5 or higher. Not pinned and recessed, but a fine shooting and handling Smith. I would love to have a 3" M66, but the M66-1 2 1/2 inch I have is just fine for me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 927
Likes: 42
Liked 296 Times in 204 Posts
Default

I have 3; two -3s and one -4.... I think it's personal taste...like the three bears! I think the 3 inch 66s and the 3.5 inch 27s have the same pleasing porportions of barrel length to frame/grip size.

I like my 2.5-inch 66/19s;nothing wrong with them for IWB carry;but short ejector rod.

I really like my 4-inch 66/19s...... but for me a tad to long for IWB carry;

But, with Spegel boot grips and a Sparks Summer Special IWB, I love my 66 3-inchers.My carry revolver of choice since 1988.

I have a 3-inch 65... but I had it tuned for DAO and magna-ported in 86-87.A great gun but,wish I had skipped the maga-port....not worth in for .38P+ and I don't carry magnums in it that much.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 02-10-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
jughed440's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 502
Liked 476 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
...
The 3 inch 66-4 without porting was made in the smallest numbers, IIRC. It is also the last of the desireable 3 inch 66's, for me...
why would those be least desirable to you??...floating hand??
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
10mmauto's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: western NY
Posts: 254
Likes: 131
Liked 161 Times in 82 Posts
Default

I think it's the nicest carry package, period!

L
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #20  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
18DAI's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 3,646
Likes: 2,797
Liked 1,698 Times in 598 Posts
Default

jughed440 I said LAST of the desireable 3 inch 66's, not least.

I say that because I don't buy revolvers with the ugly MIM triggers and don't care for the frame mounted firing pins - both of which are on the 66-5's. Although some of the late production 66-4's had MIM triggers too IIRC.

So the 66-4's were the LAST of the desireable 66's, for me.

I do love my 3" Ashland 66-2. I prefer its flash chromed trigger and hammer to the later case hardened hammer and trigger. Regards 18DAI
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #21  
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
I've owned two M66 3 inchers, and with the going prices I sure wish I had them back!

But... I do prefer my 2 1/2 versions for carry. The shorter barrel won't stick in the car seat when holstered, nor in tender parts of my anatomy when using a IWB and in the appendix position.

As for longer ejection rod, I also caution readers on this.

Tom Givens, of Rangematers, has pointed out more and more robbery teams are 2 and 3 men and a 5 or 6 shot revolver is a very thin reed to sake ones life on in such situations.

So I tell people if you do pack a revolver, pack a second one (or even a Kel-Tec P32!)

They are just so slow at reloading and just 5 or 6 shots, so pack a second one.

If you have three people close to you, and shooting, it really doesn't matter if you have a J frame or a Mini-Gun. You are only going to get off a couple of rounds.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
jughed440's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 502
Liked 476 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
jughed440 I said LAST of the desireable 3 inch 66's, not least.

I say that because I don't buy revolvers with the ugly MIM triggers and don't care for the frame mounted firing pins - both of which are on the 66-5's. Although some of the late production 66-4's had MIM triggers too IIRC.

So the 66-4's were the LAST of the desireable 66's, for me.

I do love my 3" Ashland 66-2. I prefer its flash chromed trigger and hammer to the later case hardened hammer and trigger. Regards 18DAI
ooops...sorry...me being one letter off changes everything

66-4

Last edited by jughed440; 02-10-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add pic
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Posts: 1,816
Likes: 2,026
Liked 1,400 Times in 547 Posts
Default

No offense, but if you have to ask, you are not enough of a collector for it to be worth the extra money it will cost you. Go with some of the less expensive choices others have mentioned. I'm not downing you, I buy shooters myself, I'm not paying another $500-1000 for a gun I'm afraid to scratch, shoot etc. No offense to collectors either, but I'd have to hit about 40k in guns before I'm ready to start thinking about just because guns. To each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 927
Likes: 42
Liked 296 Times in 204 Posts
Default

T Clark...."... hit about 40K in guns". Not sure what you are referring to?

Even with the Segel grips I don't have $1,000 in my 3. I was lucky; I bought mine when no one wanted them.LOL

I don't know if I'd pay $1000 for one today,but having carried one since 1989 I wouldn't give mine up for $2000. The other 2 will go to my boys in about 10 years. One of which had been on "long term loan " to my Dad after he retired from 1989 till 2004. He liked mine so much I got the second one for him for his 73rd birthday....... for the princely sum of $270
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Posts: 1,816
Likes: 2,026
Liked 1,400 Times in 547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
T Clark...."... hit about 40K in guns". Not sure what you are referring to?

Even with the Segel grips I don't have $1,000 in my 3. I was lucky; I bought mine when no one wanted them.LOL

I don't know if I'd pay $1000 for one today,but having carried one since 1989 I wouldn't give mine up for $2000. The other 2 will go to my boys in about 10 years. One of which had been on "long term loan " to my Dad after he retired from 1989 till 2004. He liked mine so much I got the second one for him for his 73rd birthday....... for the princely sum of $270
You did well and bought some great guns at the right time. Congrats. What I was saying was I have about 40k worth of guns for specific needs I would like to have, until I hit that, it's shooters for me. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have one, but if the need is a 3" Mag and you are not a collector, there are cheaper, but still good gun options.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 927
Likes: 42
Liked 296 Times in 204 Posts
Default

Oh, OK...problem is today even good shooters aren't cheap..a 3-inch 66 isn't even in the same league as 3.5 inch Reg. Mag.......I think you owe yourself a good BBQ gun!

It would be neat to see your 40K gun wish list! You must be a lot more organized than I am.......

My wish list has never gotten longer than 2-3 guns but it also never seems to get any shorter..........LOL

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 02-10-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

i carried a few m64 3" for a while however this is the new baby in the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-10 15.42.30.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	66312  
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Posts: 1,816
Likes: 2,026
Liked 1,400 Times in 547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4423 View Post
i carried a few m64 3" for a while however this is the new baby in the house.

Very Nice.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Avery11's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Location Location
Posts: 688
Likes: 315
Liked 357 Times in 162 Posts
Default

"No offense, but if you have to ask, you are not enough of a collector for it to be worth the extra money it will cost you."

T Clark,

Prefacing an ill-thought statement with "no offense" is usually the habit of someone who's intent is quite the opposite. How do you presume to know what kind of collector I am and how the cost of a 3 inch revolver of my choice will burden me?

Thank you for the advice but I see no need to be qualified as a collector in order to ask the question and you added nothing to answer it.

In my contrary opinion, if I thought i needed $40,000 worth of purposeful guns before I became a "collector", I would be more worried for my personal safety than the allure of the model 66. And I think that if I only bought "shooters" and managed to spend that much money, I would be considered a collector by proxy.

Back to the subject...

Last edited by Avery11; 02-10-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #30  
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Posts: 1,816
Likes: 2,026
Liked 1,400 Times in 547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery11 View Post
T Clark,

Thank you for the advice but I see no need to be qualified as a collector in order to ask the question and you added nothing to answer it.

In my contrary opinion, if I thought i needed $40,000 worth of purposeful guns before I became a "collector", I would be more worried for my personal safety than the allure of the model 66. And I think that if I only bought "shooters" and managed to spend that much money, I would be considered a collector by proxy.

Back to the subject...
I was going along with the flow and discussing it among all those in the forum, not responding to you alone.

As for your other thoughts, when I said no offense I meant it. If I wanted to offend you, I have no problem doing so. Lighten up, no one was insulting or judging you...and FYI, you can half the figure I gave in two distance rifles. Part of my comments were in response to things others had said, not you.

Last edited by StatesRightist; 02-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
MTKTM's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 734
Likes: 1
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Default

There was a really nice 3" 66 (I'm not sure which dash # it was) in a nearby shop with an asking price of $750 not too long ago. I looked at it but decided to pass. Sounds like maybe I should have bought it. I've never owned one, but have had several 2.5" guns, both 19 and 66s. I'd sold the last one I had to my former mother-in-law a number of years ago and always regretted doing so, but recently acquired a nice P&R nickel 19, and a similar 66-1 just a week or so ago. I love them both. I'll probably shoot the 66 mostly because of the durability of the stainless, and also because I like the trigger better than the one on the 19, curiously.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
rasmith3442's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 117
Likes: 6
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default 3" K-Frames

First the good news. Back in the mid 80's a friend and I drove up to Ashland and bought sequentially serial numbered 3" 66's. At the time my uncle had a business right next door to Ashland Shooting Supplies, where I have spent several delightful hours in past years.

Now the bad news - we both sold them. As Jeff Dunham's Walter would say "DUMB*%#". I have since bought a couple more and still have one. I have noticed several variations in the sights and rib in the different iterations.

Currently I have a couple of 3" 686+s, a 3" 66, and a couple of 3" 65's, one of which I finally badgered David Bowie out of. Being an engineer and a former mud Marine, the KISS principle is one of my life's guiding objectives. While the 66 is "sexier" IMO, I am becoming less enamored of adjustable sights as I get older. The Bowie 65 has had the front sight milled off and a tritium big dot installed. The sight channel has been milled out to match the OD of the big dot. Hammer has been bobbed and the gun has an awesome trigger. At the TDI pistol range, I can get just about 100% hits double action on steel targets while backed up against the pole barn (about 35 yards). This is one great gun. My other 3" 65 is about the same, but with a semi bobbed hammer and and a Hi Viz front sight.

As for shooting magnums - why? The FBI load is as good a fight stopper as anything you can put into a 38 / 357.

S/F,

RAS

(Moderators - I tried to insert pics but neither the paper clip icon nor the image icon would allow me to do so.)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fairport, New York
Posts: 716
Likes: 32
Liked 551 Times in 139 Posts
Default 2 Model 66 3" Revolvers with Keith Brown Grips.

Having carried a 2 1/2" 66 while on duty for part of my career, the extra 1/2" added to the barrel in the 3" 66 makes all the difference. I am fortunate to own two 3" guns, and still have my original 2 1/2" partner which I have retired. It's ashame the guns are no longer made.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Sportsterguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ask the NSA
Posts: 2,201
Likes: 95
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model39 View Post
Having carried a 2 1/2" 66 while on duty for part of my career, the extra 1/2" added to the barrel in the 3" 66 makes all the difference. I am fortunate to own two 3" guns, and still have my original 2 1/2" partner which I have retired. It's ashame the guns are no longer made.
Model39. Love them grips on the right! Who made them. Gotta have a set as they exude class!

I now have 2 2.5" 66-2's and the one Ashland. Love all 3 but the 3" is the better shooting revolver for me. The balance is perfect, which helps accuracy. Longer sight radius makes for better accuracy and being lightweight makes for a great carry revolver for CC or on the trails. I've let plenty of friends shoot both the 2.5 and 3" with 158 gr. Speer GD's in .357 and many of them start flinching from the snappy recoil. Most of them also do better with the old Ashland than the 2.5". I packed my 3" for years and felt well armed before swapping back to my favorite pistol and SD round, a Springer Mil-Spec 1911 in .45 ACP that I had slightly modified (Wilson trigger and trigger set at a crisp 4.75 lbs., Wilson Drop in beavertail safety, Wilson hammer, Ed Brown low profile ambi safety and a tritium sight on the front only). Please don't trash me for carrying a semi and not a S&W semi at that. I love my S&W's, especially for hunting and target practie but can shoot my 1911's faster and with more accuracy than a revolver. That sweet trigger aids immensely in accuracy, I can reload it faster and a 230 gr. HP Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger will beat any .38+P round out there for sheer power out there. Started out on them in boot camp and it was our duty weapon till the M9's came. I shot it well back then and shoot it much better now from years of practice with all of the free ammo when I was on active duty. Another feature I like is if a punk somehow was able to grab it from me they are so used to just pulling the trigger such as on a Glock. With the safety engaged I have extra time to get it back or haul butt as they will be a yanking hard on that trigger with negative results! I've since went to packing a Colt Commander that I had the same mods done to plus I changed the mainspring out for an arched one for a better grip.

The 3" revolvers are just plain, good looking KA revolvers and anyone armed with one is very well armed. One of the 2.5' 66's is my wifes revolver loaded with light .38's as she is recoil sensitive. The other is strategically hidden in the living room stoked with the 158 gr. Speer GD's for quick access. I like adjustable sights on my weapons for different loads. If the rear would break off in a scuffle you won't need it anyhow as you are in a point shooting situation. Owning both the 2.5" and 3" there's little difference in up close accuracy (3-15 yards). Take the target back to 50 yards and you will see a notable difference, from my experience with the two. They command their prices as they're fewer out there and IMO are the better revolver that'll do about ANYTHING with the right load if need be. Like some guys have said wish I would have bought 4 or 5 of them when I first saw one in Shotgun News. Knew it was special then and think so to this day!

Another shot with combats. Suck for shooting as the FG's don't fit my hand well at all, but look cool. Cannot they cost as much as they do as my $50.00 Ahrend boot grips are perfect for my small hands.

__________________
V/R
Roger / SG

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 02-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
mag318's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,593
Likes: 10
Liked 476 Times in 246 Posts
Default

Deserved or not these revolvers have attained cult like status. Those of us who own and shoot them know why, they are close to being perfect in several ways. That extra 1/2" makes a big difference in both handling and feel of the revolver. If I had to keep just one of my S&W revolver it would be my 66-4. The one thing I prefer about the 66-4 over the earlier variations is the way the rear sight is mated into the frame. My only problem with my 66s is deciding what grips I like best. The wood combats are the most attractive but my Uncle Mikes boot grips are the most comfortable. The 2.5" 66s are good revolvers also and they too are bringing ever increasing ammounts of money.
But if you ever come across a 3" 66, grab it. To many of us they are the finest revolvers S&W ever made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03112.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	66330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03146.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	66331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03785.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	66332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09317.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	66333   Click image for larger version

Name:	158 grn CPD Load Flash.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	66334  

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 186
Likes: 1
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
If you have three people close to you, and shooting, it really doesn't matter if you have a J frame or a Mini-Gun. You are only going to get off a couple of rounds.
Robberies don't work like that. One may be in their get-away car, one in front, one a lookout, but all armed. Never know how they will be situated or armed, or even their mindset.

No two robberies are alike and Tom Givens has had over 50+ students in shootings in Memphes. The only one to fail didn't bring their gun (a must if you are in a gunfight.)
__________________
Deaf
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
Deserved or not these revolvers have attained cult like status. Those of us who own and shoot them know why, they are close to being perfect in several ways. That extra 1/2" makes a big difference in both handling and feel of the revolver. If I had to keep just one of my S&W revolver it would be my 66-4. The one thing I prefer about the 66-4 over the earlier variations is the way the rear sight is mated into the frame. My only problem with my 66s is deciding what grips I like best. The wood combats are the most attractive but my Uncle Mikes boot grips are the most comfortable. The 2.5" 66s are good revolvers also and they too are bringing ever increasing ammounts of money.
But if you ever come across a 3" 66, grab it. To many of us they are the finest revolvers S&W ever made.

I have both a 66-2, and a 66-4. I agree on the rear site. It looks MUCH more sleek/cleaner.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: S.W. Fl.
Posts: 750
Likes: 57
Liked 156 Times in 81 Posts
Default

My 3 inch 66-3 came with the S&W rubber grips . I'd rather have a 3" CS 686 if I could find one . The 686 just feels better to me .
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fairport, New York
Posts: 716
Likes: 32
Liked 551 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
Model39. Love them grips on the right! Who made them. Gotta have a set as they exude class!

I now have 2 2.5" 66-2's and the one Ashland. Love all 3 but the 3" is the better shooting revolver for me. The balance is perfect, which helps accuracy. Longer sight radius makes for better accuracy and being lightweight makes for a great carry revolver for CC or on the trails. I've let plenty of friends shoot both the 2.5 and 3" with 158 gr. Speer GD's in .357 and many of them start flinching from the snappy recoil. Most of them also do better with the old Ashland than the 2.5". I packed my 3" for years and felt well armed before swapping back to my favorite pistol and SD round, a Springer Mil-Spec 1911 in .45 ACP that I had slightly modified (Wilson trigger and trigger set at a crisp 4.75 lbs., Wilson Drop in beavertail safety, Wilson hammer, Ed Brown low profile ambi safety and a tritium sight on the front only). Please don't trash me for carrying a semi and not a S&W semi at that. I love my S&W's, especially for hunting and target practie but can shoot my 1911's faster and with more accuracy than a revolver. That sweet trigger aids immensely in accuracy, I can reload it faster and a 230 gr. HP Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger will beat any .38+P round out there for sheer power out there. Started out on them in boot camp and it was our duty weapon till the M9's came. I shot it well back then and shoot it much better now from years of practice with all of the free ammo when I was on active duty. Another feature I like is if a punk somehow was able to grab it from me they are so used to just pulling the trigger such as on a Glock. With the safety engaged I have extra time to get it back or haul butt as they will be a yanking hard on that trigger with negative results! I've since went to packing a Colt Commander that I had the same mods done to plus I changed the mainspring out for an arched one for a better grip.

The 3" revolvers are just plain, good looking KA revolvers and anyone armed with one is very well armed. One of the 2.5' 66's is my wifes revolver loaded with light .38's as she is recoil sensitive. The other is strategically hidden in the living room stoked with the 158 gr. Speer GD's for quick access. I like adjustable sights on my weapons for different loads. If the rear would break off in a scuffle you won't need it anyhow as you are in a point shooting situation. Owning both the 2.5" and 3" there's little difference in up close accuracy (3-15 yards). Take the target back to 50 yards and you will see a notable difference, from my experience with the two. They command their prices as they're fewer out there and IMO are the better revolver that'll do about ANYTHING with the right load if need be. Like some guys have said wish I would have bought 4 or 5 of them when I first saw one in Shotgun News. Knew it was special then and think so to this day!

Another shot with combats. Suck for shooting as the FG's don't fit my hand well at all, but look cool. Cannot they cost as much as they do as my $50.00 Ahrend boot grips are perfect for my small hands.

***SPORTSTERGUY***Both grips were made by Keith Brown. The pair on the right a "K" frame round butt "Hideout" grip made from fancy Walnut, with Roper pattern checkering with real ivory diamonds inlaid around the screw holes.
Keith is a VENDOR here on the forum. You can check out his work by going to the VENDOR section of the forum.

Last edited by Model39; 02-11-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 AM
akviper's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Valdez, Alaska, USA
Posts: 605
Likes: 103
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Default

The worst thing about the three inch K frame is the need to acquire more after the first.


Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #41  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Sportsterguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ask the NSA
Posts: 2,201
Likes: 95
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model39 View Post
***SPORTSTERGUY***Both grips were made by Keith Brown. The pair on the right a "K" frame round butt "Hideout" grip made from fancy Walnut, with Roper pattern checkering with real ivory diamonds inlaid around the screw holes.
Keith is a VENDOR here on the forum. You can check out his work by going to the VENDOR section of the forum.
39'r,

I reread the post and saw they were KB's on your original post. Duh. I truly thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to save my change up to buy a set of them Hideouts. They look absolutely great on your 66 and will look great on the 2.5" 66 I have hidden in the hallway, close to the living room. The device it's in is amazing and simple, allows quick access to the revolver and no one in 4 years has ever noticed it. Little kids can't get to it either. Please PM me if you want one and I'll send you gents the info.

This forum has cost me alot of money since I joined 05 as I'm always frothing at the mouth from all of the beautiful revolvers like yours that I HAVE to have. Currently on the hunt for a 3.5" nickel 27-2, shooter grade to match my blued one. If anyone has one lying in the safe collecting dust please contact me. I promise to take good care of it.
__________________
V/R
Roger / SG
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
rasmith3442's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 117
Likes: 6
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default

AKVIPER - You, sir, have committed a grievous sacrilege. There is a Colt at the top of the picture.

Just kidding - great looking collection. If you ever want to part with that ugly Colt so your collection is pure, please call.

S/F,

RAS
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
LOBO's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,572
Likes: 271
Liked 525 Times in 173 Posts
Default

Were the 3" model 66's a special run for Lew Horton, a LEO agency, or? What are the "Ashland" model 66's? Just curious about the history of these guns.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
jughed440's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 502
Liked 476 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
Were the 3" model 66's a special run for Lew Horton, a LEO agency, or? What are the "Ashland" model 66's? Just curious about the history of these guns.
here's a little history on them...

Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #45  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 AM
LOBO's Avatar
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,572
Likes: 271
Liked 525 Times in 173 Posts
Default

Thank you jh440!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idabel, Oklahoma
Posts: 286
Likes: 11
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Now for the big question,

In the post above it states there were only 4,195 of the Ashland 3" Model 66's produced. There were however, several other special runs for various other distributors bringing the total production to well over 5,000 units.

So between the 66-2,66-3 & 66-4 variants of the 3" barrel, just how many total were produced?

Thanks,

Murphy2000
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
KJM KJM is offline
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 655
Likes: 351
Liked 164 Times in 106 Posts
Default

There is a SWEEEEEEEEET one for sale right now on the forum for sale ads.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...-3-barrel.html
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #48  
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 PM
jmoln's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

they are still rare, just got back from a show this morning, found at least four 2.5" but no 3"s.
__________________
60LS, 64, 640, 66, 617, 686
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow. I am salivating.
__________________
Scotp7
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
mbnatt's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 172
Likes: 68
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

No Idea! Owned one, could never find a holster that didn't ride up and pinch me! Holsters were either way too long or too short! Got Rid of it and didn't look back!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1911, 357 magnum, 686, ccw, checkering, colt, combats, commander, ejector, glock, j frame, k frame, keith brown grips, m65, m66, model 39, model 65, model 66, recessed, roper, round butt, spegel, tritium, walnut, winchester

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present Thread, Model 66 three inch - what's the big deal? in Smith & Wesson Revolvers; I know I'm in for it and I did try the search but didn't see what I was looking for. ...
LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/231650-model-66-three-inch-whats-big-deal.html
Posted By For Type Date
The Model 66 3" impossible question. This thread Refback 05-04-2014 11:24 AM
Thread Model 66 three inch - what's the big deal? | S-W Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 05-21-2012 07:32 PM

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal or no deal - model 36 is good shape mikebsull415 S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 5 12-24-2011 07:25 AM
need help ASAP....model 57 41 mag - deal or no deal? Goring's S&W S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 21 04-27-2010 11:25 AM
F/T 66-3 Three Inch Barrel (Deal cut with Two Moons) Karnivore GUNS - For Sale or Trade 10 12-13-2009 10:51 PM
Model 64 Snub nose/deal or no deal tn hp S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 10 05-23-2009 12:27 PM
Md 25-2 6 1/2 inch Deal or No deal bravastar1 S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 24 11-07-2008 02:15 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2013
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)