Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM
hdtwice hdtwice is offline
Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Default Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I love shooting my 627 after a hundred rounds or maybe more of 9mm in the pistols.

Example .. today I go to the range with a friend and we each bring several different guns to shoot. Me, 627 and my 9mm shield. Him, two different glock 40s, different sizes and one ported, and a Kel-Tec (sp?) 9mm.

Now the shield for me has been a challenge but I have been getting progressively better and last Sunday did some nice groups at 10 yds. So today I wanted to continue with that plus try some other guns.
I still shot okay with the shield like I did Sunday, but not quite as well with his glock 40s, and terrible with the Kel-Tec.

Then, it's time to try some revolver action....so sweet! Of course it's heavier helping to manage recoil vs. those lighter plastic pistols so I expected it to feel better but not only was the feel so much better, but my ability to be accurate was so much better.

I have done some back to back shooting before between the revolver and semi's, but today after doing nothing but the semi's for over a hundred rounds and then straight to the revolver made the difference quite noticeable.

Any of you ever experience this?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #2  
Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 PM
CDR_Glock CDR_Glock is online now
Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 152
Likes: 338
Liked 147 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtwice View Post
I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I love shooting my 627 after a hundred rounds or maybe more of 9mm in the pistols.



Example .. today I go to the range with a friend and we each bring several different guns to shoot. Me, 627 and my 9mm shield. Him, two different glock 40s, different sizes and one ported, and a Kel-Tec (sp?) 9mm.



Now the shield for me has been a challenge but I have been getting progressively better and last Sunday did some nice groups at 10 yds. So today I wanted to continue with that plus try some other guns.

I still shot okay with the shield like I did Sunday, but not quite as well with his glock 40s, and terrible with the Kel-Tec.



Then, it's time to try some revolver action....so sweet! Of course it's heavier helping to manage recoil vs. those lighter plastic pistols so I expected it to feel better but not only was the feel so much better, but my ability to be accurate was so much better.



I have done some back to back shooting before between the revolver and semi's, but today after doing nothing but the semi's for over a hundred rounds and then straight to the revolver made the difference quite noticeable.



Any of you ever experience this?


I do that all the time. I always alternate between revolvers and semiauto.

I start with the big dog revolvers like the 454 or 500, then to a 9 mm, then to a 357 Magnum.

Shooting in double action is more challenging and it improves my semiauto shooting. Plus, the semiauto feels like a pellet gun, after the larger bore revolvers.

Do you use the moonclips for the 627? I like shooting with speedloaders, instead. I have the 8 shot 5" 627. Great gun.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 AM
hdtwice hdtwice is offline
Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I do that all the time. I always alternate between revolvers and semiauto.

I start with the big dog revolvers like the 454 or 500, then to a 9 mm, then to a 357 Magnum.

Shooting in double action is more challenging and it improves my semiauto shooting. Plus, the semiauto feels like a pellet gun, after the larger bore revolvers.

Do you use the moonclips for the 627? I like shooting with speedloaders, instead. I have the 8 shot 5" 627. Great gun.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Funny you mention that. I was looking forward to trying out the moon clips but to date, I haven't even opened the little bag they came in! I just load by hand one by one
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Chipperxd Chipperxd is offline
Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Likes: 25
Liked 75 Times in 28 Posts
Default

My 627 is the snub nose so it can be a handful with full house loads but boy is it a fun gun to shoot. I love shooting my 1911 too but the revolver is the go to gun at the range.

I use the moon clips (the 3 that came with the gun and 10 pack that I bought) and worked out well for me so far.

trying to perfect this reload technique with my moon clips. I am almost there!

Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 08-11-2017, 06:25 PM
CDR_Glock CDR_Glock is online now
Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 152
Likes: 338
Liked 147 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperxd View Post
My 627 is the snub nose so it can be a handful with full house loads but boy is it a fun gun to shoot. I love shooting my 1911 too but the revolver is the go to gun at the range.



I use the moon clips (the 3 that came with the gun and 10 pack that I bought) and worked out well for me so far.



trying to perfect this reload technique with my moon clips. I am almost there!





You didn't mention it was a Snubby before. That would be one of my desired revolvers.

I have a lot of Magnums, but I'm going to get a 629 Deluxe 3" 44 Magnum to round out my collection.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 PM
colt_saa's Avatar
colt_saa colt_saa is offline
SWCA Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 5,907
Likes: 293
Liked 7,123 Times in 2,288 Posts
Default

I am a huge fan of the 8 shot, model 27/327/627 family of revovlers. I have more than my fair share of them


I also love the moon clips. I will load up 20-30 or so while watching the news the night before heading to the range. All my brass stays together and is easily pulled from the empty casings in the range bag (yes I bring auto loaders as well).

After shooting I will sit and de-moon while watching the news. I made a simple de-moon tool out of a piece pf pipe and one of those spongy bicycle style grips. Since it is hollow, I put the brass bucket on the floor and the brass slides through the tool, into the bucket and waits to be tumbled

If you are going to use moon clips, you need more than the 2 or 3 that came with the revolver. There is not much point loading and unloading moon clips at the firing line. You want to fire at the firing line

Then when the Scandium framed model 327s started to appear I was truly enamored. A 5" N-frame with the weight of a 4" K-frame . . WHOA




Then there are the Scandium Alloy snubbies. 8 shot, N-frames that weigh in like a 5 shot J-frame.




Yes you need a big pocket for these guys, but they shoot great. These will pocket carry rather discretely in the 5.11 Covert Khakis.

With my 627 Pinto, I have a second cylinder that is set up for 9x23 Winchester. That makes it able to fire most of the popular 9MM cartridges including 356TSW, 38 Super, 9x21, 9MM Parrabellum, 380 ACP and others.


The first NEW firearm I ever got was a 6" Model 27 about 4 decades ago, I guess that started me down the wheelgun path. BTW, I still own that one.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM
revolver_ph's Avatar
revolver_ph revolver_ph is offline
Member
Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's Shootinf the 627 vs the semi's  
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Posts: 233
Likes: 239
Liked 231 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtwice View Post
I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I love shooting my 627 after a hundred rounds or maybe more of 9mm in the pistols.

Example .. today I go to the range with a friend and we each bring several different guns to shoot. Me, 627 and my 9mm shield. Him, two different glock 40s, different sizes and one ported, and a Kel-Tec (sp?) 9mm.

Now the shield for me has been a challenge but I have been getting progressively better and last Sunday did some nice groups at 10 yds. So today I wanted to continue with that plus try some other guns.
I still shot okay with the shield like I did Sunday, but not quite as well with his glock 40s, and terrible with the Kel-Tec.

Then, it's time to try some revolver action....so sweet! Of course it's heavier helping to manage recoil vs. those lighter plastic pistols so I expected it to feel better but not only was the feel so much better, but my ability to be accurate was so much better.

I have done some back to back shooting before between the revolver and semi's, but today after doing nothing but the semi's for over a hundred rounds and then straight to the revolver made the difference quite noticeable.

Any of you ever experience this?
I have the same experiences between semi-autos vs. revolvers. Not given up on semi-autos but probably will never shoot as well as with revolvers.

On the other hand, my wife does very well with both.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st S&W semi 39-2 Masterbuck54 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 3 03-25-2013 03:34 AM
WTB....S&W 9MM Semi..... pumpedTSI WANTED to Buy 0 05-04-2012 10:58 PM
semi-new guy sixgunnr New Members Introduction 8 06-24-2011 02:52 PM
fouled cyclinders in 357 after shootinf 38 happymech1 S&W-Smithing 14 06-01-2010 01:07 AM
S&W 32 acp semi-auto******NEED HELP!!! glenco941 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 0 04-10-2010 01:33 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)