Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Old 08-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free  
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free

Today, I went to field strip the Bolt Carrier Group to clean it and once I got the spring and that long pin removed (I don't know the name) I went to separate the bolt carrier rails from the body of the bolt, but they only traveled to the end of the main body and stopped. In other words they seem to have a stop, preventing me from separating them.

Now the very end of the rails seem slightly rough and maybe could stand a very, very light filing to smooth them and perhaps then they would separate. The ends are ever so slightly galled. Could this be the problem?

Also, if I can't separate the rails, will it be a problem in functioning properly? As it is, if I can's separate the rails, I'll have no trouble cleaning.

Suggestions?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free Bolt Carrier Group Rails Won't Come Free  
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, upon looking at the ends of the rails using a magnifying glass, I discovered that 'yes' the very ends of the carrier rails were slightly galled, i.e. a very slight amount of metal was turned up thus acting as something of a stop, thus acting as a stop.

I took an emery board and ever so gently removed that tiny amount off the very end of the rails where there was the turned up/excess metal and voila', the carrier rails separated with ease.

I removed just a tiny amount of metal to accomplish the mission.

WhoHoo!

Mission accomplished.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Liked 349 Times in 200 Posts

The bolt should ride smoothly (and loosely) on the rails.

Often the rails are slightly bent, or, as you have found, have burrs near the end.

Try to determine what is causing the stoppage. File the burrs slightly. You can also use flitz metal polish on the rails, if you prefer.

If the stoppage just appears to be bent rails, use a little more force, and then straighten the rails afterwards.

Bent rails WILL cause cycling issues. Burrs at the end of the rails will NOT cause a problem.

EDIT: Congrats; looks like you solved the issue yourself, and posted seconds before I did!