Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight?  
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default Which reflex/holographic sight?

Hello guys,

I've had a search here and elsewhere on the net and am none the wiser really so I thought I'd ask. Appologies if it's been covered somewhere...feel free to link and abuse me for being too dumb to work the search function!

I've just ordered a 15-22 MOE and will be needing a sight to go with it. I've read everything I can find on the differences and think I need to go for an EOTech, Aimpoint or Trijicon. Question is, are these overkill for plinking away at the local 25m range and maybe a bit of light Practical shooting?

As I understand it, the Holographic sights are slightly 'better' as they don't restrict the light passing through them as much as a reflex. But realistically there isn't much to pick between them.

Battery life seems to be better on the Aimpoints than the EOTechs but I don't see either as a problem and Tritium are basically unlimited (24 years until the reticle is 25% it's original brightness).

So is the above correct? And is there anything that makes any one sight particularly suited/not suited to the 15-22?

Thanks in advance!

TK
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight? Which reflex/holographic sight?  
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

Pretty much overkill.

But is that a bad thing? If you are buying quality, forget about the Eotech. Eotech are, to put it politely, garbage.

As you said the battery life on the unit alone would make me go for the Aimpoint. While the recoil on the 15-22 won't be bad enough to cause damage to the Eotech, they still have too many CQ and basic design problems for my liking. Others may like them, and others may have ones that work, but those are more or less the exceptions to the rule.

As far as too much, maybe. You can get a pretty good Aimpoint knockoff from Primary Arms. They have good QC, good customer service and they are well priced. They are also, IIRC, compatible with all the current Aimpoint Micro accessories like La Rue mounts and the like. They don't have the battery life of a true Aimpoint, but they aren't any worse than an Eotech.

The Trijicon Tritiums are interesting. As you said no need for batteries, or you can get a dual illumination one. Just know they aren't as bright as the powered ones, and you may lose the reticule in bright backgrounds or if you shoot with a light. The half life of Tritium is ~12 years so 25% brightness would be closer to 18 years than 24. I think. Also, 25% is VERY dim. You should expect them to be more or less useless after about 12 years, probably closer to 8. But you can get the tritium replaced.

I currently use an NC Star scope on mine, their "holographic one" and I must say it has stood up much better than I thought it ever would.

You don't need to spend $450+ on the sights for your 15-22. I use my 15-22 for IDPA 3 gun matches. (we have a .22 class)

KBK
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Liked 831 Times in 390 Posts

The guy running the NC-Star sight says EOTECH is "garbage."

Well I guess that settles it.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Eotech is a good sight...the guy that said it is garbage is obviously misinformed. Other than battery life the new XPS line is every bit as good or better than the Aimpoints.

Depending on your use there are many choices. If you are doing steel challenge or some other game that needs fast target acquisition you might look at C-more. If you want a more tactical look and don't need quite the fast acquisition Primary arms of the Vortex Sparc are good choices.

My suggestion is to try to figure out your primary use and then see what other people are using...then pick what feels right to you.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Well lets see, How many NC Star sights have I had die? None!

How many Eotech's have kicked the bucket? Two.

So the NC Star does take the lead there.

I was comparing the Eotech to the Aimpoint and the Trijicon when I said it was garbage.

I then said you don't need any of the big 3 on your 15-22. You can get a sight that will work for 1/3 the price, or even less. For a cheap plinker getting a cheap sight is a good idea, no? Especially if it works.

I just said the NC Star works. And it is cheap. Is it in the same class as the Aimpoint or Trijicon? No. That's why on my center fire rifles I use Aimpoints.

The Eotech series is still garbage.

You can expect to get about 200 hours of use out of an Eotech. Even the new XPS series die if you shoot enough. The Eotech is probably suitable for a hobby shooter who only gets through a single magazine at the range once a month. Hell one of my Eotech's didn't even survive THAT. Do some proper research, asking people who shoot their guns a lot. Eotech's are garbage if you actually use your gun.

It is still overkill for a .22, when you can get a Primary Arms for 1/3 the price.....

KBK

Last edited by Kayback; 11-06-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Liked 237 Times in 169 Posts

my 512 as well as my EOtech OPMOD EXPS-0 are amazing and i have Aimoints also. I have 2 CMores on my .22 steel challenge pistols also and a Vortex bright dot on another AR.
my OPMOD with a 3x magnifier is on my cannned 15-22, i know scope combo is worth more than rifle, but it was sitting unused since i changed out to Schmidt and Bender short dots and Weaver Super Slam FFP scopes, go from aimpoint type red dot to 5 power zoom with no POI/POA change due to FFP.
my early eotech in the military lasted forever and took a beating and kept on ticking.

the best thing running now is the Vortex Strikefire bright dot. not the red green as it is not bright enough. this is an excellent red dot site for around $140 or below, 2 mounts, one high one low, a screw in magnifier, lens caps and so far i can't make it lose zero for anything.

Saying an EOtech is junk compared to an NCstar is about the most ridiculous statement i have ever heard of. Ask any troops coming back which they preferred since some of my buds got to use all 3 systems, ACOG, Aimpoint and Eo's and they will not complain about any. the preference goes to the Acog since it has some magnification w/o using a separate magnifier and FTS mount.

as said above the Cmore railways are FAST, i have tried them on my rifle and they work very well. i only use them on my pistols since i was concerned with hunting with them and whacking the round hood on a tree and cracking it, but they are bright as hell and if you get some Arredondo add on knobs for them, very user friendly.
Sparc is good also, kind of a T-1 knock off. Primary arms is a very good CS company and i have bought mounts and my last Bright Dot from them. it's only a .22 (says the guy with EO's, EO magnify, Pilot II can, etc) on it. but then again all my add ons came from AR platforms that were not the hosts anymore.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Liked 3,635 Times in 1,627 Posts

Eotech is better. Unless you like the Acog better.

Sorry, Tommy, after 5 more pages of this thread, you will not have advanced any further.

I personally have an Eotech XPS 2-0 on my AR-10, and I'm very happy with it. I think it would be perfect for your application. Fun, too.

My other biases:

BTW Ford is better than Chevy.

Which reloader is better, Red or Blue? Green!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM

you must be using CHIotechs. have never had one break and had one keep right on going even with a crack all the way through the glass when it was dropped somewhere the Army decided to put us in! Plus they have lifetime warranty, although the Vortex does also.
buy once, cry once...you can always use the good site on another weapons system if you have or once you get it and then drink Kayback's NC star Kool aid!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM

I'm partial to red on reloaders!!! LOL
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Liked 831 Times in 390 Posts

I own three EOTECH model 512's.

The "issue" with some EOTECH sights that have the "straight-on" battery compartment is that the rubber gasket around the battery terminals can detach, and cause the sight to "cut off" during firing.

This is a legitimate issue and concern.

The good news is, its really easy to look at YOUR specimen, and tell whether there is an issue with this. If the "rubber piece" isn't peeling off, you don't have this issue. But remember, that "rubber piece" is held on with glue. It WILL FAIL someday. Maybe not in your lifetime, but it will eventually give out.

People by all manner of spare parts for their rifles.
Why wouldn't you also stock spare parts for your optics?
EOTECH spare parts are very much available. Not so sure about those NC-Star spares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u25_YzqYrA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TbR-W8X-fY

Wonder if the NC-Star guy might have gotten one of the FAKE versions of the EOTECH?
There are EOTECH fakes out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGMuu3wgmY4

Last edited by W.E.G.; 11-06-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Liked 79 Times in 52 Posts

Hi Tommy,

I have a (genuine!) Eotech XPS2 on my 9mm carbine and it's a great sight for gallery shooting. However, I'd say that it's a bit overkill for the 15-22 (especially at the prices they go for in the UK), and am very happy with the Vortex SPARC on my S&W.

Checkout New Pro UK as main dealers for the Vortex range. The lifetime warranty is a big plus, and it's getting harder to get decent sights at fair prices this side of the pond due to US ITAR restrictions...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Both will work on the 15-22 platform. I like single dot reticules that are 3moa or smaller. Some like the big donut thing that eotech offers. It's just a personal preference. What you should do next is...

Find out if YOU are an Eotech or Aimpoint guy (holographic or reflex). Then decide how much you want to spend.

After that, come back to us and ask some optic questions. For now, you're only going to get opinions.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts

I have the Primary Arms PAM3M on my MOE, and love it. Got a QD mount (although the one it comes with is fine if you don't want QD). It was highly recommended by many others, and I've got nothing but good to say about it. Love the look, the quality, the 4 reticle styles, brightness, everything. Not an EOTech or Aimpoint, but it's all I'll ever need (in the way of a red dot) on this rifle.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Liked 79 Times in 52 Posts

OP is in the UK and I'm sure the Primary Arms sights are great budget options, but unfortunately they will not ship to the UK due to ITAR

That's why I mentioned the Vortex range, which is definitely available in the UK with full dealer support and represents a very credible mid-range option.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill45 View Post
Saying an EOtech is junk compared to an NCstar is about the most ridiculous statement i have ever heard of.
Oh FFS I never said the Eotech is junk compared to the NC Star. I said it is junk compared to the Aimpoint and the Trijicon.

The Eotech is junk. Look up some info on people who actually shoot their firearms. Honestly, go look at what guys like Pat Rogers has to say about them. He isn't the only detractor, but he uses his guns. They shoot a LOT of bullets, and the Eotech's don't stand up to the use. Either his own ones, or ones that get brought to his classes.

I was not using Chinotechs. I was using legitimate ones. Same way as I'm using legitimate Aimpoints on my center fire rifles and Trijicons on my pistol.

You may be happy with your Eotech. I even said in my original post that people will like them and will have some that work. Congrats. I refuse to use a sighting system that will require me to work on it and replace factory parts before it is reliable.

EOTech EXPS 2-0 Review. « Paulo Santos Weapon Review Blog

Military Arms Channel • View topic - EOTech models

You'll also get a lot of people saying things like
Quote:
The Eotech on my issued weapon has been running great for about 5 years, probably around 5k rounds. It has been dropped on the sight a couple of times in training. The hood is scratched up, but the sight works fine.
5k in 5 years is not a lot of shooting. It works out to about 20 rounds a weekend. Run it through 1000+ rounds in a two day carbine course and see how well they work. But I admitted in my first post this may not be a concern for a 15-22.

That being said, there is no need to buy a freaking $450 sight for a gun that's only worth $350!

There are plenty of budget sights out there. NC Star happens to be one of them. I got it free in a trade and I threw it on my 15-22 and to my amazement it still works. I even SAID that in the original post. It has lasted much longer than I expected it to, meaning I did not expect it to work. It does.

The Primary Arms Aimpoint like sights are also GTG, for a limited variance of GTG. On a 15-22, which you will not be trusting your life to, nor likely to need with any imminence, you can get the budget sight that needs to be turned on and off, pretty much like the Eotech, which will set you back by more than the cost of another 15-22.

KBK

Last edited by Kayback; 11-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Wow! What have I started? I guess this question is like asking on a VW forum if air cooled or water cooled is best (trick question by the way, all VWs are junk!)

Firstly, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

I like the idea of saving some money on something that does (almost) the same thing.

If I was to put a Vortex on my 12ga Mossberg I assume it would get shaken to bits where as the more expensive versions would (probably) survive. Not something I'm particularly planning on doing but you never know?

I may look at shipping a sight, some spare mags ($50-60 each in the UK), etc from the States in a big order if I can find a retailer willing to do so. So the price of the higher end sights may not be too much of a problem with Votex SPARC costing nearly $300 here anyway. A few hundred dollars for a bit more 'bling' isn't a bad thing!

So:

Vortex - good budget option (does anyone have feed back on how they handle higher recoil?)

A trans mount EOTech - popular option

Aimpoint/Trijicon - Very good but overkill for this application, I'd just be buying 'cool points'!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
That being said, there is no need to buy a freaking $450 sight for a gun that's only worth $350!
I actually agree with this. But, here in the UK I'll have to pay the equivalent of $1200 for a 15-22. So a $450 sight may not be as daft as it sounds.

To buy here some unbranded Chinese **** would be $70+. This is where my problem differs from you lucky guys in the US. To spend half my rifles value (the cost of a half decent optic over here) on a sight I could buy a Trijicon, some spare mags, a nice range bag AND have it shipped over from the States.

I didn't need to spend $20000 on the engine of a $12000 car but I did...and I love it! So it's not always as black and white as $ vs $. I guess that's what I'm asking really.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM

Lol you haven't started anything, like you said it is different views. I've used many Aimpoints from the Comp M to the H-1 and never had an issue. I've tried two Eotechs, both died. One was an XPS that died before I even got to test fire it.

People who have ones that work, swear BY them (see above) people who have had them not work, swear AT them (see above).

Chances are if you buy one it will work. But do you really want to take that chance?

KBK
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy kaira View Post
I actually agree with this. But, here in the UK I'll have to pay the equivalent of $1200 for a 15-22. So a $450 sight may not be as daft as it sounds.
Aye, I know that feeling. I live in South Africa and I paid just shy of $900 for my 15-22.

I still wouldn't put a $450 sight on it If I was going to spend that much money I'd spend half and buy a suitcase full of no name Chinese ones, and just use a new one each time the old one died
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Liked 158 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
I still only agree to a point.

Buy once, cry once, buy quality the first time around and all that, then people still suggest UTG and NCStar. :roll:

KBK

I use the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot. I used to have it on my 15-22 but I now have it on my AR. Its plenty bright enough for me in the sunlight and it holds its zero. Excellent optic for $135 at opticsplanet, I think its a little higher now though.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Soldier View Post
I use the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot. I used to have it on my 15-22 but I now have it on my AR. Its plenty bright enough for me in the sunlight and it holds its zero. Excellent optic for $135 at opticsplanet, I think its a little higher now though.
That was before I had one. I have now tried one and it works.

Much to my amazement, but it does work. I wouldn't call it "quality" which is what the above post was about. It is a cheap plinker scope.

I've only ever used NC Star stuff on Airsoft before, but as I said I got it in trade and wanted to try it out. I am not out of pocket any if it dies.

This time last year I didn't own a 15-22, nor want one. I can get pretty much all my low cost training kicks with my GBB M4. I don't even need to go to the range to do it.

Then I tried one.

KBK

Last edited by Kayback; 11-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Liked 414 Times in 226 Posts

Go Aimpoint or Go Home!... j/k... All i run now is Aimpoints... H-1 on my 15-22 to be exact.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Soldier View Post
And it's handling the recoil OK on the AR?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

why don't you just go with both! ACOG TA31 4X32 scope with Docter auto red dot Black.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does just fine on the AR. Its rated to handle the recoil of a .375 H&H mag
Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM

If you want something with a little bit of magnification that's not $1200 look at the Burris AR-332 3x and the burris AR-536 5x. Opticsplanet has them for around $330-$400, I'm not sure if you could get these in the UK though.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Does anyone have input on the Sightmark Ultra Shot QD Reflex Sight? Sorry if this a bit of high-jacking...I am in the same situation as you!
Cheers.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Go for it Batesy! I've read an interesting review of that one too.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Liked 375 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batesy View Post
Does anyone have input on the Sightmark Ultra Shot QD Reflex Sight? Sorry if this a bit of high-jacking...I am in the same situation as you!
Cheers.
I just bought one at Dunhams on Sunday using a 20% off coupon I got from them. Ended up being $79.99.

Have not shot it yet but first impressions are it's fairly sturdy - but I'm not thrilled with the knob you change reticles with - there seems to be too much play in it - even when it clicks and you pick the reticle you want it can still move a bit either way changing the reticle position slightly left or right. The QD lever seems to hold solid enough - however there's still some up and down play in it even when secured.

I plan to shoot with it this weekend and will report back. I'm used to my Leupold VariX III on my Browning A-Bolt and the Swarovski on my dad's A-Bolt so I'm slightly spoiled by optics but for $79 (or even $99) it doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited by BillK01; 11-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
FWIW I've got the strikefire as well and love it! I use it on my .223 just about as much as my 15-22 and haven't had a single issue. Zero is about 3 inches left at 100 yds on the .223 vs 15-22, so it's real easy to sight in when I switch it over. Just got lucky I guess. Now I haven't had a lot of experience with the "big 3", but I'm completely satisfied with the strikefire for what I want it to do. I'm with everyone else that said try and find what you'll be using it most for and go from there. There's seldom something that works perfect in every situation
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Liked 3,635 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:

You don't need to spend $450+ on the sights for your 15-22.
While this is true, I have two riflescopes that cost as much or more than the rifles they are on. The idea of optics costing as much as the gun is normal to me.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Liked 89 Times in 47 Posts

I sometimes think I am the only one who shoots with just iron sights.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
While this is true, I have two riflescopes that cost as much or more than the rifles they are on. The idea of optics costing as much as the gun is normal to me.
I understand that and think it is a great idea too. The general idea behind it is that you aren't limiting the firearm's capability by putting a scope on it that can't match the rifle's performance.

If you are trying to do something with a 15-22 that you can't do with a cheaper scope, especially a zero magnification red dot, the you bought the wrong rifle.

The 15-22 is not a tack driver. If you want a super expensive scope on it, great. Go for it. But you should honestly consider buying a more accurate rifle if that's your thing.

Throw in the fact they aren't meant to HALO from 44 000', survive an IED, be able to return fire while covered in blood and guts or be humped through the dusty plains of the 'Stan for 4 years in a row you hardly need an optic that will stand up to that abuse. I seriously doubt the 15-22 will survive that.

A lot of what you are paying for with things like the Aimpoints, Trijicons and to some degree the Eotech is the ruggedness to do all that.

If you WANT to spend that much on a sight, go for it. I'm not stopping you. I'm just asking you consider what you are doing.

KBK

Last edited by Kayback; 11-07-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM

considering the EOtech was just sitting on the self since it did not have a host is why i put it on an inexpensive .22, why let it go to waste. you said you have a strikefire on an AR, i have one on my cheap *** DPMS that i built, but would not put it on my Noveske. I have enough AR's, 21 years retired Army DAV, so i have put several sighting system through their paces and the EO has never faulted save for battery. the older ones had their issues, but the newer transverse mounted CR123 battery XPS or EXPS ones with an aftermarket aluminum shroud are great. i have never replaced a part on an eotech, although i have sent a couple aimpoints back due to black dots on the inside of the lens, one that would go out every time you shot, a short somewhere. AP has the advantage in battery time, but since i retired i don't need to leave my scope on for 5 years in the armory. chevy vs ford

buy the bright dot by Vortex from Primary Arms for your 15-22 plinker and you will be happy. or go back to airsoft.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default sightmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by batesy View Post
Cheers.
i have the sightmark ultra shot pro spec NV QD and it gets the job done, nice piece of hardware for the price and i also have the sightmark 5X tactical magnifier (with slide to side) as well. when i want distance, just use the QD to take off the sightmarks and place a Nikon 3-9x40 prostaff (also with QD mount) in their place.

i bought the rifle a couple of years ago to teach my son to shoot. he's 9 now and getting a lightweight hunter in .243 cal for christmas.

have fun