Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Try New Ammo Try New Ammo Try New Ammo Try New Ammo Try New Ammo  
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Default Try New Ammo

For those new shooters or new owners unhappy with the accuracy of their 15-22, try as many different types/brands of ammo as possible until you find one that is accurate in your rifle.

I realized early that the accuracy of my 15-22 varies greatly with different ammo types. It's well known that most firearms seem to 'like' a specific brand/type of ammo and perform best with that type, however, my 15-22 seems particularly picky. It eats anything and spits it out flawlessly but accuracy can swing from 4" to 3/4" depending on ammo.

I've been trying different stuff for weeks now (and having fun in the search) and recently picked my overall favorite so far (CCI Mini-Mags).

While I was at Wal-Mart the other day waiting for someone to unlock the ammo case/Plutonium storage vault I decided to pick up a box of Remington Subsonic. I didn't think they would be accurate, and I know S&W does not recommend some Remington types in the 15-22. I bought them because I expected them to be quiet, almost suppressed sounding and I thought that would be fun.

Heres what I got instead:

10 rds @ 50yds supported / Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scope

38 gr (lead hollow point), 1050fps

If I were a better shot, I think this rifle is capable of grouping 10 shots inside a Nickel at 50yds with this ammo.

I thought it interesting that this stuff shot consistently high and to the right by ~2". My scope is zeroed with CCI Mini-Mags and POI went back to the bullseye when they were used. Since these things are slower than the Mini-Mags, I would have expected the POI to be lower, not higher.?????

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-01-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It has it do with the vibration of the barrel as the bullet passes through it. When a shot is fired, the barrel vibrates up and down a small amount. If the bullet leaves the barrel when the barrel is at the top of the vibration, the bullet shoots high. If the bullet leaves the barrel when the barrel is at the bottom of the vibration the bullet shoots low (see, the barrel is bending up and down). Different bullet weights and speeds determine the vibration and is one reason a slower bullet could shoot higher than a faster one.
Another reason (and I suspect this is the main cause with the 22lr ) is a faster bullet can leave the barrel before the barrel has finished rising from the recoil, while the slower bullet leaves the barrel later giving the barrel more time to raise, thereby Shooting higher. Yes, the 22lr does have recoil, small though it may be.
I love ballistics!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Yeah, I feel like trying out some "match" ammo and seeing how that goes. How much was that Remington?

Oh, and I'm not "un-happy" with the accuracy, I just want to try diff. ammo
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav View Post
Yeah, I feel like trying out some "match" ammo and seeing how that goes. How much was that Remington?

Oh, and I'm not "un-happy" with the accuracy, I just want to try diff. ammo

It was ~$2.50 / box (50ea)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

i tried some federal automatch yesterday.. not too bad. it reminds me of cci tactical (no copper plating tho) it was $14.99 for 325 rounds.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Remington Subsonic is one of the best performers in my 15-22. I don't know if it (or I) could shoot that size group but it does fine for standing shooting with irons.

I believe the recommendation of no subsonic ammo was due to the older models having the heavy (yellow) action springs.

Nice shooting!!

Tags
22lr, bullseye, lock, remington, scope, smith-wessonforum.com, subsonic, tactical