Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 15-22 Performance Center

can a Performance Center models barrel be fitted to a standard 15-22. i need the gun to be more accurate for hunting but im in the UK so would be easier to switch the barrel then have change the whole rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee24 View Post
can a Performance Center models barrel be fitted to a standard 15-22. i need the gun to be more accurate for hunting but im in the UK so would be easier to switch the barrel then have change the whole rifle.

Yes, but good luck ordering one.

See my thread here. Find ammo that performs better in your rifle. You might find that replacing the barrel won't make it significantly more accurate. Search the forum here for feedback on the performance center model compared to the standard model. From what I've read here, not much significant difference has been seen. Additionally, the performance model has a better trigger, which is an important factor in realizing the accuracy of the rifle. Upgrading the stock trigger on your rifle might yield better results than replacing the barrel.

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBeaker View Post
Yes, but good luck ordering one.

See my thread here. Find the ammo that works better in your rifle. You might find that replacing the barrel won't make it significantly more accurate. Search the forum here for feedback on the performance center model compared to the standard model. From what I've read here, not much significant difference has been seen. Additionally, the performance model has a better trigger, which is an important factor in accuracy. Upgrading the stock trigger on your rifle might yield better results than replacing the barrel.
ok thanks for that mate i took it hunting today and it just would not zero. i zero from 10 yards then tried a few shots from 50 yards and it was about 7 inches off. tried adjusting it from 50 yards but still could not get good groups. and no its not my shooting lol and i was using a bi pod. my friend whos in the royal marines tried but still exactly the same we could not get it shooting accurate

i had a cheap 40 3-9x42 scope on i got from ebay maybe it was at fault im going to try again with a better scope.
i really hope it was the scope and that the gun is really not this bad for accuracy

my gun already has better trigger springs fitted

still got 3 rabbits but was from 30 yards or less i could of had loads at 70-100 yards
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
geneboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 120
Likes: 11
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default oh

for your gun to be that far off at that range, there would have to be something Seriously wrong. I would bet money it`s the scope.
__________________
The absence of pain is...death
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBeaker View Post
Yes, but good luck ordering one.

See my thread here. Find ammo that performs better in your rifle. You might find that replacing the barrel won't make it significantly more accurate. Search the forum here for feedback on the performance center model compared to the standard model. From what I've read here, not much significant difference has been seen. Additionally, the performance model has a better trigger, which is an important factor in realizing the accuracy of the rifle. Upgrading the stock trigger on your rifle might yield better results than replacing the barrel.
I agree

I'm thinking of switching to a 2-stage trigger when mine comes back from the factory,the groups are small as is, they should tighten up more with a better trigger (The barrel on mine seems to love the 40 and 36 grain stuff)

Is there anyway to put on an A1 length fixed stock ? (I like the 6-position for adjustability,but really like the idea of no wobble on the shoulder)

Also what about extending the rails to better sim. the sight radius of a 20-inch AR?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee24 View Post
i zero from 10 yards then tried a few shots from 50 yards and it was about 7 inches off.

This is likely the problem. If you zero at 10 yards, you are going to be off at 50 yards. By definition, 'zero'ing means to adjust your sighting system to hit where you are aiming (at your zero distance). By adjusting your scope at a 10yard range, you are setting it up to, well..., hit your target at a 10 yard range.

I zero my scope at a 50 yard range and get the group you see in the picture in my link at 50 yards. If I keep the same setting on my scope and shoot at a 100yard target, aiming the crosshairs at the bullseye, I'm always going to be off target 5-8" depending on ammo. It's simple mechanics and sighting theory.

Also, don't forget that your scope sits a couple of inches above the bore line of your barrel. The closer you get to your target, the more effect this distance above your boreline has on your point of impact. It's most common to zero a .22 at 25yds or 50 yards, not 10yds. At 10 yds, the distance your scope sits above your boreline is going to be an issue. For distance closer or farther than your zero'd distance, you have to adjust your point of aim (POA) to compensate.

If you already know this, I appologize for the basic explanation.

Also, if you are using a centerfire scope, it's likely the parallax is set at 100yds. This means that any movement of your eye off center of the scope will have an effect on your point of impact at a distance other than 100yds. Rimfire scopes often have a fixed parallax of 50yds. Some scopes have a side focus that allows you to adjust the parallax to different ranges.

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-05-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBeaker View Post
This is likely the problem. If you zero at 10 yards, you are going to be off at 50 yards. By definition, 'zero'ing means to adjust your sighting system to hit where you are aiming (at your zero distance). By adjusting your scope at a 10yard range, you are setting it up to, well, hit your target at a 10 yard range.

I zero my scope at a 50 yard range and get the group you see in the picture in my link at 50 yards. If I keep the same setting on my scope and shoot at a 100yard target, aiming the crosshairs at the bullseye, I'm always going to be off target 5-8" depending on ammo. It's simple mechanics and sighting theory.

Also, don't forget that your scope sits a couple of inches above the bore line of your barrel. The closer you get to your target, the more effect this distance above your boreline has on your point of impact. It's most common to zero a .22 at 25yds or 50 yards, not 10yds. At 10 yds, the distance your scope sits above your boreline is going to be an issue. For distance closer or farther than your zero'd distance, you have to adjust your point of aim (POA) to compensate.

If you already know this, I appologize for the basic explanation.
when zero from 10 yards we made it an inch high to allow the 1" drop from 50 yards. we then tried to zero from 30 yards and 50 yards nothing worked. went through about 100 rounds just trying.
my guess is the scope is junk, im going to try again with a better scope and hope theres a big improvement.

should the 15-22 be able to hit a soda can from 100 yards ?? is this something its well capable of on a regular basis or have i over estimated what this gun can do. thing is my primary use for it is hunting and when i bought it i thought that was something it was well capable of
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee24 View Post
should the 15-22 be able to hit a soda can from 100 yards ??
I'm just an ok shot. This is at 100yds:



For what it's worth, I shot 50 rds at this same size target at 200 yards. Because of that far distance I had to aim well high off the target at a mark on the rubber backer that I could barely see. After 50 rds the majority of the holes were within the 8 ring.

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Another thing that could be a problem is frame flex.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBeaker View Post
I'm just an ok shot. This is at 100yds:

was that from a bi pod, also what ammo was that
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
Another thing that could be a problem is frame flex.
please explain ive never heard of this
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee24 View Post
was that from a bi pod, also what ammo was that
Nikon 3X-9X Prostaff scope, bench, sandbag supported, CCI Mini-Mags

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
crracer_712's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 860
Likes: 73
Liked 163 Times in 130 Posts
Default

I bought 3 cheap scopes, none are on the M&P 15-22. 1 of the cheap scopes proved to be faulty, never able to place two shots within an inch of one another. After going back to open sights to verify it was not the gun, I put one of the other cheap scopes on that I had zeroed from another rifle, problem solved. First bad scope I'd ever had, learning experience and one that I am glad I experienced.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee24 View Post
please explain ive never heard of this


Too much weight on the reciver (scope weight) and too much pressure on the forend (boy is too strong for his own good).

An example of frame flex was mentioned (and caught on film) by Nutnfancy.

I'm trying to find the vid that shows it...I'll get back to you

Last edited by Pfletch83; 05-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
Too much weight on the reciver (scope weight) and too much pressure on the forend (boy is too strong for his own good).
dont think its this mate scope is very light and theres no weight on the forend
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBeaker View Post
Nikon 3X-9X Prostaff scope, bench, sandbag supported, CCI Mini-Mags
thanks that helps alot as i used a bipod and the same ammo with such different results it points even more that the cheap scope is at fault.

quite a relief
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Found the vid

YouTube - S&W 15-22: "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" by Nutnfancy

23:23 minute mark on the vid
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
Found the vid

YouTube - S&W 15-22: "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" by Nutnfancy

23:23 minute mark on the vid
watching that vid maybe it is the gun from 50 yards with a scope the groups were very poor
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Try it with the irons (no forend tension),then try with a different optic (no forend tension).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Hobie1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Central IL
Posts: 1,021
Likes: 435
Liked 314 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Does the front end of the scope have visible clearance above the rail? I bought a Bushnell scope and mounted it on my MOE and could not get it to zero at 50 yds. It seems that the scope was touching the front of the rail and putting a tiny bit of upward tilt to the scope. New rings, zero no problem.

Hobie
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
tacticool22's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oregon (or a gun)
Posts: 1,410
Likes: 3,637
Liked 623 Times in 295 Posts
Default

The barrel nut could be loose. If the hand guard is flexing that much, remove the end cap and free float the barrel. You could even put an aluminum AR free float hand guard on.
__________________
Buy cheap, pay twice.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie1 View Post
Does the front end of the scope have visible clearance above the rail? I bought a Bushnell scope and mounted it on my MOE and could not get it to zero at 50 yds. It seems that the scope was touching the front of the rail and putting a tiny bit of upward tilt to the scope. New rings, zero no problem.

Hobie
yeah its on high scope mounts, im going to make a barrel tool check the barrel is not loose. im going free float the barrel also. and got a good scope on order so no excuses. il let you guys know the results. surley this gun is more accurate than this even though its not really a precise target shooter
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

OK, This may sound stupid, but being that this is the world wide web, I have to ask this question: Are you, by any chance the Steve Lee who sings "I Like Guns"?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead eye 22 View Post
OK, This may sound stupid, but being that this is the world wide web, I have to ask this question: Are you, by any chance the Steve Lee who sings "I Like Guns"?
haha no mate but ive been asked that before
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Just did some testing last weekend. Made sure I was sighted in at 50 yds. Then shot some steel targets at about 50 and 80 yds. I use a NcStarscope with the P4 reticle. I first shot with my supporting hand holding the quad rail. Then I shot using the mag. As a support. I found that the gun shot lower when supported by the mag. I had to shoot using the 2nd tic mark below the cross hairs to hit the target at 80 yds. and I had to use the 1st tic mark down at the 50 yd. Target.
This is pretty much what I expected. Even with a full one piece stock you must rest the gun supported at the same place on the stock to acheave consistant results. This is especially true, however, when shooting any gun with a two piece stock (ie. The 15-22). Always shoot with the front of the gun supported from the same spot on the stock. It will go a long way to tighten up groups.
By the by, I shot a 3 shot group of 3/4 inch at 50 yds ( 36 gr. WW hp), and a 7/16 inch 5 shot group at 50 yds. Using federal Lightning 40 gr. Rn. Lead.


en
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

On that 5 shot group, I mention to say 15/16 inch group ( typo).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

its more of a shooter thing the gun is very accurate i thought, i should fed bulk all day long and get close groups if your off by inches its you, with a scope and a bench u can blow out center targets all day at 50 yards, 100 yards there is a little drop but still accurate
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 AM
SWCA Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: PA.
Posts: 525
Likes: 3
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Bipods and accuracy don't normally go together.
Try sand bags
__________________
PC semiauto collector

Last edited by Grinder; 05-14-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Bipods and accuracy don't normally go together.
Try sand bags
+1

I fired my 15-22 almost exclusively using a bipod the first couple of months I owned it. I was a little disappointed in the accuracy until I started trying various ammo brands, velocities, etc. Eventually I got sick of using the bipod and took it off and started to fire sandbag supported. I noticed an immediate improvement in consistency and group tightness.

Here's my theory...

With a bipod rigidly connected to the bottom rail of the handguard, adjusting the sight picture by simply moving the rifle was torquing the handguard left/right by varying amounts. Since the bipod feet were remaining stationary, the movement of the rear of the rifle was putting inconsistent stress on the handguard and in turn on the barrel.

At 50 & 100 yards, even a slight movement will be noticeable.

Using sandbags or another support will still place a small amount of upward torque on your barrel, but it will at least be consistent. Adjusting the sight picture by moving the rear of the rifle will no longer torque the handguard left/right because it won't be connected to anything and should be resting in your palm with an almost nonexistent grip.

That's my 2 cents...

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Argonnakid's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 443
Likes: 78
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Default

That is an interesting theory, but I think that it would not have that much pressure on the barrel as to effect the shot groups. And here is my reasoning, the 15-22 is pretty much a free floating barreled firearm. For example, you could remove and cut down the hand guard all the way to the last hole toward the recevier and then reinstall the appox. 1 in of hand guard. You have a fully free floated barrel. The hand guard has no direct affect on the barrel.

Not to say your style of shooting is doesn't work. Each one of us is our own person,
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonnakid View Post
That is an interesting theory, but I think that it would not have that much pressure on the barrel as to effect the shot groups. And here is my reasoning, the 15-22 is pretty much a free floating barreled firearm. For example, you could remove and cut down the hand guard all the way to the last hole toward the recevier and then reinstall the appox. 1 in of hand guard. You have a fully free floated barrel. The hand guard has no direct affect on the barrel.

Not to say your style of shooting is doesn't work. Each one of us is our own person,
Unmodified, the handguard endcap touches the barrel and in effect is not free floated. The 15-22 is free floating if you remove or modify the handguard endcap(by enlarging the barrel hole so it has 360 deg clearance around the barrel). The torque effect and benefit of removing the endcap has been discussed and debated pretty heavily here on the forum in the past.

I think the 15-22 is more affected by handguard flex due to its polymer construction and smaller barrel diameter. An actual AR is rigid enough to be used in combination with a poncho to make a field expedient stretcher capable of supporting a grown man's weight, and survives without damage. I don't think a 15-22 would hold up to this. You would likely never see this torque affect on an actual aluminum AR platform. I don't think the polymer receiver, polymer handguard, and barrel attachment method are rigid enough to be free of flex...and it does not take much to affect a round at 50 & 100yds.

That being said I can achieve sub 1" groups at 100 yards off a bag with the 15-22, and cannot off a bipod. I'm not certain it has anything to do with flexing, but I like my theory just the same
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Argonnakid's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 443
Likes: 78
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Default

I don't think the polymer receiver, polymer handguard, and barrel attachment method are rigid enough to be free of flex...and it does not take much to affect a round at 50 & 100yds.
..................totally agree with you on that statement,,,,
That being said I can achieve sub 1" groups at 100 yards off a bag with the 15-22, and cannot off a bipod. I'm not certain it has anything to do with flexing, but I like my theory just the same
................that's pretty decent shooting, are you using just any ammo, mid-grade(cci), or match, ?
do you use a any type of rest with your sandbag?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I know that true snipers make sure that when useing a bipod, it is resting on a soft surface.

Rick Jamason, past shooting editor for Shooting Times mag. states that when bench shooting a rifle, ALWAYS rest the stock in the same place otherwise the point of impact will varry.

Now, how many shots were in those sub moa 100 yd. Groups, and what ammo do you use to acheave them? I have always felt that, as a hunter, 10 and even 5 shot groups are somewhat meaningless. Unless you are shooting prairie dogs you will never get that many shots in succession. I feel a 3 shot group from a cold barrel is the best indicator of what you can expect in the field - at least where hunting is concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonnakid View Post
I don't think the polymer receiver, polymer handguard, and barrel attachment method are rigid enough to be free of flex...and it does not take much to affect a round at 50 & 100yds.
..................totally agree with you on that statement,,,,
That being said I can achieve sub 1" groups at 100 yards off a bag with the 15-22, and cannot off a bipod. I'm not certain it has anything to do with flexing, but I like my theory just the same
................that's pretty decent shooting, are you using just any ammo, mid-grade(cci), or match, ?
do you use a any type of rest with your sandbag?
CCI Mini-Mags, sandbags only under handguard, no butt-stock rest. However, I am using a CMC 3.5# trigger. I could not shoot groups that tight with the stock trigger.

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-14-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead eye 22 View Post
I know that true snipers make sure that when useing a bipod, it is resting on a soft surface.

Rick Jamason, past shooting editor for Shooting Times mag. states that when bench shooting a rifle, ALWAYS rest the stock in the same place otherwise the point of impact will varry.

Now, how many shots were in those sub moa 100 yd. Groups, and what ammo do you use to acheave them? I have always felt that, as a hunter, 10 and even 5 shot groups are somewhat meaningless. Unless you are shooting prairie dogs you will never get that many shots in succession. I feel a 3 shot group from a cold barrel is the best indicator of what you can expect in the field - at least where hunting is concerned.
@ 100yds, 3 round group. CCI Mini-Mags. As far as an indicator of what I could expect hunting...don't really know because I obviously wouldn't shoot off a bag while hunting.

I've recently discovered CCI Standard Velocity & Remington Subsonic. At 50yds, the performance is outstanding ~ 3/4" groups are possible.

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 05-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking

Ok, let me clairfy one point. I am not in any way implying that I can shoot as accurately in a hunting situation as I can from the bench. I mearly ment that the first 3 shots from a cold barrel gives me a realistic idea of what the rifle is capable of when I come upon game- ie the barrel will be cold and at most I may get 3 shots before the critter is gone. All else being equal, a 1 moa rifle gives me a better chance of hitting, say, a squirrel, than a 2 moa rifle. I, of course, would have to do my part in shooting as accurately as I can under field condictions.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 AM
CPTBeaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 324
Likes: 1
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead eye 22 View Post
I mearly ment that the first 3 shots from a cold barrel gives me a realistic idea of what the rifle is capable of when I come upon game- ie the barrel will be cold and at most I may get 3 shots before the critter is gone. All else being equal, a 1 moa rifle gives me a better chance of hitting, say, a squirrel, than a 2 moa rifle. I, of course, would have to do my part in shooting as accurately as I can under field condictions.
Completely agree.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Argonnakid's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 443
Likes: 78
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Default

will agree with that statement too, firm believer in a first shot clean kill when in a hunting situation
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 20
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee24 View Post
when zero from 10 yards we made it an inch high to allow the 1" drop from 50 yards. we then tried to zero from 30 yards and 50 yards nothing worked. went through about 100 rounds just trying.
my guess is the scope is junk, im going to try again with a better scope and hope theres a big improvement.

should the 15-22 be able to hit a soda can from 100 yards ?? is this something its well capable of on a regular basis or have i over estimated what this gun can do. thing is my primary use for it is hunting and when i bought it i thought that was something it was well capable of
That's not gonna work. If your scope is 2 3/4 inches above the barrel and you sight in at 10 yards, you will be about 8 inches high at 50, and 12 and climbing at 100.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bullseye, handguard, performance center, polymer, remington, rimfire, scope, sig arms, smith-wessonforum.com, subsonic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Thread, 15-22 Performance Center in Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns; can a Performance Center models barrel be fitted to a standard 15-22. i need the gun to be more accurate ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance Center 500 RedRocket10 GUNS - For Sale or Trade 0 10-10-2009 02:23 AM
FS: Performance Center 66-6 SIGWolf GUNS - For Sale or Trade 4 08-02-2009 11:10 PM
627-5 PERFORMANCE CENTER N1TKS S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 1 01-23-2009 02:10 PM
627 8rd performance center - double action performance 7-of-9 S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 4 12-01-2008 04:52 PM
S&W performance center biggs357 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 2 11-13-2008 05:24 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)