Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default Best Sight & Mount with 15-22 MOE

I've decided to get an M&P 15-22 and have narrowed it down to the MOE version, due to the included folding Magpul MBUS sights and Magpul stock and grip. Looks great, and I hear it shoots just as well. The reason I wanted the folding sights is to leave them in place when mounting a scope.

I will be shooting mostly at 25 and 100 yards, mostly targets, with some golf balls and other reactive targets. My eyes are getting old, and I'd like to see the target holes at 100 yards through my rifle scope, so I think I need more than a 3-9 scope. Focusing to 25 yards is also important to me. Due to all that, I feel I need a scope with adjustable parallax correction down to at least 25 yards. That eliminates Nikon scopes (Buckmasters only goes down to 50 yards), unfortunately. I also want to be able to quick-mount the scope, without removing the MBUS sights, and hopefully not have to re-zero the scope.

Scopes I've found that spec-wise would do the job are the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 Tactical and the Leapers UTG SWAT 3-12x44 Compact. The UTG is much shorter and a bit smaller in diameter, so might fit better, space-wise.

I'm looking at the NCStar AR15 Cantilever Quick Release 30 mm Scope Mount MARCQ. It LOOKS like it will provide a bit of clearance between the folded MBUS rear sight and the bottom of the scope. I need to get some actual dimensions to check, as while Magpul states the sights are 0.51" above the rail folded, they appear a bit higher on photos I've seen.

Okay, after all that, and since this is my first rifle (lots of pistols, but first rifle) and first scope/mount, does this sound good? Can you suggest a better combination?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 229
Likes: 3
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
I've decided to get an M&P 15-22 and have narrowed it down to the MOE version, due to the included folding Magpul MBUS sights and Magpul stock and grip. Looks great, and I hear it shoots just as well. The reason I wanted the folding sights is to leave them in place when mounting a scope.

I will be shooting mostly at 25 and 100 yards, mostly targets, with some golf balls and other reactive targets. My eyes are getting old, and I'd like to see the target holes at 100 yards through my rifle scope, so I think I need more than a 3-9 scope. Focusing to 25 yards is also important to me. Due to all that, I feel I need a scope with adjustable parallax correction down to at least 25 yards. That eliminates Nikon scopes (Buckmasters only goes down to 50 yards), unfortunately. I also want to be able to quick-mount the scope, without removing the MBUS sights, and hopefully not have to re-zero the scope.

Scopes I've found that spec-wise would do the job are the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 Tactical and the Leapers UTG SWAT 3-12x44 Compact. The UTG is much shorter and a bit smaller in diameter, so might fit better, space-wise.

I'm looking at the NCStar AR15 Cantilever Quick Release 30 mm Scope Mount MARCQ. It LOOKS like it will provide a bit of clearance between the folded MBUS rear sight and the bottom of the scope. I need to get some actual dimensions to check, as while Magpul states the sights are 0.51" above the rail folded, they appear a bit higher on photos I've seen.

Okay, after all that, and since this is my first rifle (lots of pistols, but first rifle) and first scope/mount, does this sound good? Can you suggest a better combination?
You might look at the BSA Sweet 22 scope. I have one in 3-9x but I know they make one in 6-18 which should be plently. They have adjustable paralx down to 15 yds. I have a .22 and a .223. I'd recommend a mount like the Burris PEPR mount. You won't have to re-zero the scope if removing it when using a one piece mount like that. BSA generally gets a bad rap but I've been very pleased with mine. Also they have BDC turrets for 3 different grn bullets. It's a nice little feature.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "MOE" please? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleypadfl View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "MOE" please? Thanks.
It's the model number of the 15-22 (see S&W M&P 15-22 MOE) and stands for Magpul Original Equipment, because this particular design has the Magpul stock, grip and MBUS folding sights. It's made in both black and black/FDE (Flat Dark Earth) combo, but I'm leaning toward the black.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 890
Likes: 40
Liked 302 Times in 227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
I've decided to get an M&P 15-22 and have narrowed it down to the MOE version, due to the included folding Magpul MBUS sights and Magpul stock and grip. Looks great, and I hear it shoots just as well. The reason I wanted the folding sights is to leave them in place when mounting a scope.

I will be shooting mostly at 25 and 100 yards, mostly targets, with some golf balls and other reactive targets. My eyes are getting old, and I'd like to see the target holes at 100 yards through my rifle scope, so I think I need more than a 3-9 scope. Focusing to 25 yards is also important to me. Due to all that, I feel I need a scope with adjustable parallax correction down to at least 25 yards. That eliminates Nikon scopes (Buckmasters only goes down to 50 yards), unfortunately. I also want to be able to quick-mount the scope, without removing the MBUS sights, and hopefully not have to re-zero the scope.

Scopes I've found that spec-wise would do the job are the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 Tactical and the Leapers UTG SWAT 3-12x44 Compact. The UTG is much shorter and a bit smaller in diameter, so might fit better, space-wise.

I'm looking at the NCStar AR15 Cantilever Quick Release 30 mm Scope Mount MARCQ. It LOOKS like it will provide a bit of clearance between the folded MBUS rear sight and the bottom of the scope. I need to get some actual dimensions to check, as while Magpul states the sights are 0.51" above the rail folded, they appear a bit higher on photos I've seen.

Okay, after all that, and since this is my first rifle (lots of pistols, but first rifle) and first scope/mount, does this sound good? Can you suggest a better combination?
I also recommend the BSA Sweet 22. It was the first scope I bought to use with the first .22 rifle I bought in years.
A better and more expensive BSA scope is the Tactical Mil-Mil 4-14x44 SF FFR scope made exclusively for MidwayUSA. The sale price on it is $250 and it approches the performance of scopes costing up to $1000. 30mm tube, First Focal Plane reticle, side parallax adjustment down to 15 yards and up to 250, MRAD etched reticle, 1/10 mil adjustments, resetable to zero turrets, etc.
I also have a few of the NcSTAR QR mounts and so far I like them. They seem to hold POA when taken off and back on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Central IL
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I have the MOE and am not impressed with the Magpul sights....my Troys seem to be much better. If you don't need the quick disconnect mount on the receiver(I wanted that ) you might be better off with a normal model and add the sights of your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
DesertFox's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: TBD
Posts: 562
Likes: 78
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
A better and more expensive BSA scope is the Tactical Mil-Mil 4-14x44 SF FFR scope made exclusively for MidwayUSA. The sale price on it is $250 and it approches the performance of scopes costing up to $1000. 30mm tube, First Focal Plane reticle, side parallax adjustment down to 15 yards and up to 250, MRAD etched reticle, 1/10 mil adjustments, resetable to zero turrets, etc.
I also have a few of the NcSTAR QR mounts and so far I like them. They seem to hold POA when taken off and back on.
$118.94 will get you into this one which is the unit on hand here. Love this scope. No batteries or IR. FFP is sweet. Worth every penny. I've seen a similar model out there that does have an IR for a bit more money. These scopes all come out of the same plants with components for production runs specified by each maker (i.e. BSA, Falcon Menace, Famous Maker, FM Optics, Nikon, Bushnell, Osprey and even some larger Euro makers). While this is WAY more scope than necessary for a 22LR, it is in the price range of many far lesser scopes.

FFP is cool - many folks haven't seen it. The mil-dots at 4x are nearly impossible to see and they are the size of baseballs at 14x. Easy to apply dope to the scope and use holdover techniques. Wow... That really rolls off the tongue...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialTone301 View Post
I have the MOE and am not impressed with the Magpul sights....my Troys seem to be much better. If you don't need the quick disconnect mount on the receiver(I wanted that ) you might be better off with a normal model and add the sights of your choice.
What didn't you like about the Magpul sights? My eyes aren't that great, and I doubt they'd be my limiting factor. I'd still want fold-down sights so that I wouldn't have to remove them when mounting the scope using a QD mount.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 138
Likes: 14
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Check out Primary Arms. They have a line of really good budget minded optics.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
FFP is cool - many folks haven't seen it.
Not only that: SOME people (me) don't even know what it stands for or what it is. :-(
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 229
Likes: 3
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Nikon also has some nice .22 specific scopes out there for not too much money. If I where you I'd stick with a scope made for .22lr but that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xICEMANx View Post
Nikon also has some nice .22 specific scopes out there for not too much money. If I where you I'd stick with a scope made for .22lr but that's just me.
I had intended to get a Nikon originally; but I think I need parallax correction (shooting at 25 to 100 yards), and no Nikon scope has parallax correction below 50 yards (that I can find).

People may be able to tell me just how important parallax correction is when shooting at 25 yds (or a bit less) and 100 yds, when a scope is adjusted for 50 yards.

As to the .22 only, I don't disagree, but really would like higher power than 3-9.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Central IL
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

For some reason I have more trouble picking up the Magpul's as I quickly deploy the rifle from a low ready position. I don't notice the problem with my AR and Troy sights. Not really sure why.....I guess I should try to figure it out at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM
roadkill45's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 573
Likes: 2
Liked 194 Times in 139 Posts
Default

i run FFP's on a couple of my hunting rifles. the new Weavers' are great and i have a Schmidt and Bender Short dot 1.1-4x24 in a LaRue QD on a .308 M24'gery. the joys of First Focal Plane shooting have really not caught on here in the states as it is considered a 'European' scope. tell ya what, once you use one you will never go back after you get used to it. no more hold over, everything in same plane, the weaver 1-5x24 in a PEPER. I really prefer to use the MPBR when i hunt (maximum point blank range) so that i know that when i put that dot behind the shoulder of whatever, that is where it is going to hit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I'd at least look at the CenterPoint 4x14 40AO. Its backed by Crossman AR Co. and sold among other places by Walley World with rings.....I have one and it really works very well for $69.00....You would need higher rings however to clear the fold down rear irons....you can see .22 holes at 100yds with it, even with old post medicare eyes....the glass clarity is almost as good as my 4x14 SA,Nikon.... and the return to zero can be felt, and works properly......it's a little long and a little heavy for the 15-22 platform, but depends on what you want/need.....best regards Plum
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 50
Likes: 2
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialTone301 View Post
For some reason I have more trouble picking up the Magpul's as I quickly deploy the rifle from a low ready position. I don't notice the problem with my AR and Troy sights. Not really sure why.....I guess I should try to figure it out at some point.
I also have TROY on my .223 and MAGPUL on the rimfire I do like the troys better but your talking way more $$$ and quality of product. I agree I like my TROY also just couldnt justify them on the new rifle so I ordered the MOE 15-22 $535.00 delivered was goodenuf for me will have to keep on shootin the wifes pink 15-22 until it gets here lol.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
roadkill45's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 573
Likes: 2
Liked 194 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Vortex Strikefire Bright Red Dot..around $149 with a PA 3x magnifier in FTS mount and you are golden out to wherever, well past .22 range. pretty cheap set up, i have one on a dedicated upper .22 conversion and it is heck on ground squirrels at 75 yards! really never miss unless they dart down a hole right when i fire! now that we can hunt suppressed in Arizona that won't be an issue anymore!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill45 View Post
Vortex Strikefire Bright Red Dot..around $149 with a PA 3x magnifier in FTS mount and you are golden out to wherever, well past .22 range. pretty cheap set up, i have one on a dedicated upper .22 conversion and it is heck on ground squirrels at 75 yards! really never miss unless they dart down a hole right when i fire! now that we can hunt suppressed in Arizona that won't be an issue anymore!
Thanks, but I'm really looking for an optical scope 12x or higher, not a red dot. I don't seem to be able to use a red dot, and want to be able to see my bullet holes at 100 yards without using the spotting scope.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 672
Likes: 3
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Okay, the local store just lowered the price of the 15-22 MOE today, so I went and picked one up. Also, just ordered the BSA Tactical 4-14x44 Mil-Mil scope from Midway, along with Butler Creek hinged covers. Looks like the scope will clear the sights, and I'll probably go with the Burris AR-PEPR Scope Mount, just because it looks good and has dual clamps.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. This is going to be fun!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
223, 22lr, model 24, rimfire, scope, smith & wesson, smith and wesson, tactical

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Thread, Best Sight & Mount with 15-22 MOE in Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns; I've decided to get an M&P 15-22 and have narrowed it down to the MOE version, due to the included ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DOCTOR SIGHT MOUNT JAXX S&W-Smithing 2 02-18-2012 08:40 PM
Front Sight Mount smoothy Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 7 12-08-2010 08:46 PM
red-dot sight mount for a model 28 stevenorlando S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 4 03-31-2010 11:57 PM
Sight Mount Bill T. WANTED to Buy 0 10-26-2009 10:45 PM
Need a sight mount screw for a 66-4 SIGWolf S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 4 10-18-2008 07:38 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)