Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Charging handle Charging handle Charging handle Charging handle Charging handle  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Charging handle

New here just got a 15-22. Have read a bunch on charging handles seems the Plinker gets a lot of talk. The sloppyness of the Plinker worries me a little. Anything out there new? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Liked 263 Times in 143 Posts

Welcome to the forum! There is a much better option than the Plinker. here it is Charging Handle

NDZ makes a very nice handle, you can get it blank with no lazer engraving or you can get one with whatever engraving choices they have. The fit and finish is very close to the OEM handle only its aluminum.
I've owned both and I love the NDZ one. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I was just really blown away by the quality and price.

The only plus to the Plinker for me was the latch. Their latch is really good. Being a lefty, I ended up switching the latch off the plinker and putting it on the NDZ.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool,Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

I like my PT charging handle. The anodizing looks cheap, but for a left handed shooter it's a must have IMO.

If you're right handed or want your favorite Power Ranger engraved on it, get the NDZ CH. Then again, if you don't need the ambi feature the factory charging handle works great.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
US Veteran
Liked 959 Times in 516 Posts

+1 on the NDZ charging handle. Hell, ANYTHING from NDZ is quality made and they back up their products. I don't work for them either, they just get my money. :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
If you're right handed or want your favorite Power Ranger engraved on it, get the NDZ CH. Then again, if you don't need the ambi feature the factory charging handle works great.
Haha! They do have a blank one you know. Besides, I'll take my favorite Power Ranger over the piss poor machining marks and sharp edges that come free of charge with the Plinker.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Another vote for the NDZ. The quality of the PT was a real disappointment. I bought it for the ambi-latch, but eventually sold the PI handle for $10 and put its latch on an NDZ handle. Great Combination!

To bad PT's not smart enough to sell their latch separately!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
Another vote for the NDZ. The quality of the PT was a real disappointment. I bought it for the ambi-latch, but eventually sold the PI handle for $10 and put its latch on an NDZ handle. Great Combination!

To bad PT's not smart enough to sell their latch separately!
Maybe they are too smart to sell it separately. If you want one you have to get it as a package. Marketing *******s!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Here are some pictures of the two side by side. As I mentioned above, I took the ambi latch off of the Plinker charging handle and put it on the NDZ. It is very easy to see the difference in quality and finish, zombie response team engraving aside, the NDZ handle is IMHO, better. By the way, the only reason I got the zombie response team engraving was because the handle was going for a steal on ebay and no, I don't mind it actually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (126.5 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0276.jpg (102.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0277.jpg (116.8 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by PainterlyShotgroup; 12-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
Maybe they are too smart to sell it separately. If you want one you have to get it as a package. Marketing *******s!
So very true. The PT handle looks good in photos, but when you actually get your hands on it, the quality - or rather lack of it - is apparent. Side by side with the NDZ ... NO comparison at all.

I'm sorry I didn't close-up photos of the PT before I sold it.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterlyShotgroup View Post
Here are some pictures of the two side by side. As I mentioned above, I took the ambi latch off of the Plinker charging handle and put it on the NDZ. It is very easy to see the difference in quality and finish, zombie response team engraving aside, the NDZ handle is IMHO, better. By the way, the only reason I got the zombie response team engraving was because the handle was going for a steal on ebay and no, I don't mind it actually.
That's exactly what mine looked like.

Based on the handle, and my experience with their 35-round magazine, I have no respect for Plinker Tactical's design teams or their quality control.

BTW, they sent me a second magazine, saying my first one must be a fluke. Hopefully I'll get to the range this week to find out.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
BTW, they sent me a second magazine, saying my first one must be a fluke. Hopefully I'll get to the range this week to find out.
Good luck with that....
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that....
I was told that, out of the hundreds they have sold, I was the only one to have a problem.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the two side by side.
Those photos say it all. Looks like someone was learning the CNC machine that day

I have an upgraded extended charging latch coming as I find those more immediately useful of an upgrade on all my AR platforms than the charging handle, but the NDZ is on my "maybe" list given I was a bit surprised when I first realized how anemic the charging handle on the 15-22 was.

Last edited by Locked-N-Loaded; 12-10-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Liked 364 Times in 184 Posts

WOW, how the **** do they think that is acceptable!?
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked-N-Loaded View Post
Those photos say it all. Looks like someone was learning the CNC machine that day
Yeah, and Quality Control either came in hung over, or called in sick...
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I was told that, out of the hundreds they have sold, I was the only one to have a problem.
The problem is clearly not their magazine Major, it's your rifle

I'd say, tell them you are trying out a new mag speed loader, set the PT mag as a target and see how fast you can "load" it with bullets, from the muzzle end of your 15-22 of course.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I have an upgraded extended charging latch coming as I find those more immediately useful of an upgrade on all my AR platforms than the charging handle, but the NDZ is on my "maybe" list given I was a bit surprised when I first realized how anemic the charging handle on the 15-22 was.
The NDZ latch is a nice upgrade, even on the factory handle. Takes about two minutes to change. My nine-year old grandson really doesn't need the AL handle, so I just replaced his latch. The 16-year old gets both a new handle and a new latch.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The NDZ latch is a nice upgrade, even on the factory handle. Takes about two minutes to change. My nine-year old grandson really doesn't need the AL handle, so I just replaced his latch. The 16-year old gets both a new handle and a new latch.
You'll have to do a ranger report when you take them out to try their new rifles! I bet you can't wait to see the look in their eyes when they unwrap them...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I have a upgraded extended latches on all my other AR's, I think that is such a worthy upgrade, in this case I decided I liked the design of the belt_fed model (seen elsewhere here) so I went for that. Just so happens, got an email from him 10 minutes that says it is en route, so that is good news

Anyway, I want to run the handle on this for a bit and see how it feels and stands up. It feels anemic on first blush, and in a few weeks I will get some good outdoor time with it in the mountains of CO so I plan to put my new rifle and all of the new mods and updates through it's paces then. If I determine then that the handle is weak, the NDZ - all black with no engraving - is the natural choice.

Last edited by Locked-N-Loaded; 12-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I have a upgraded extended latches on all my other AR's, I think that is such a worthy upgrade, in this case I decided I liked the design of the belt_fed model (seen elsewhere here) so I went for that. Just so happens, got an email from him 10 minutes that says it is en route, so that is good news

Anyway, I want to run the handle on this for a bit and see how it feels and stands up. It feels anemic on first blush, and in a few weeks I will get some good outdoor time with it in the mountains of CO so I plan to put my new rifle and all of the new mods and updates through it's paces then.
Belt-Fed's latch is a SOLID product. I have one as well. You won't be disappointed. However, I'm almost positive it will not fit either the Plinker or the NDZ handle.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Default Charging Handle

NDZ, make a great handle, one on the way
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

I agree that the NDZ looks a lot better. My point was that for a lefty, the PT is a better option. Unless you want to buy both, swap parts, and sell the rest, there aren't any other options. The complaints we all have with it don't change the way it functions.

If I was a right handed shooter, I would definitely buy the NDZ over the PT if I had issues with the stock polymer handle.

It's too bad NDZ doesn't offer an ambi latch. That would be a better feature than engraving IMO.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
I agree that the NDZ looks a lot better. My point was that for a lefty, the PT is a better option. Unless you want to buy both, swap parts, and sell the rest, there aren't any other options. The complaints we all have with it don't change the way it functions.

If I was a right handed shooter, I would definitely buy the NDZ over the PT if I had issues with the stock polymer handle.

It's too bad NDZ doesn't offer an ambi latch. That would be a better feature than engraving IMO.
I know what you are saying and I agree with you.

It is unfortunate that NDZ doesn't have an ambi latch. Seems like a no brainer to have one.

In any case, The PT handle cost me $65 dollars, but at least I got the latch out of it. Fortunately, I was able to make it fit the NDZ. I know I could have tried to get my money back, but I had honestly tried to not let the machining bother me. But over time, the charging handle just irked me. It wouldn't hold, letting the bolt come out if I undid the rear take down pin, it was overly loose, sharp edged, different color, and yes, looked like it was made on a Monday morning by a new employee.

The NDZ cost half of what I paid for the PT and it is way better quality.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You'll have to do a ranger report when you take them out to try their new rifles! I bet you can't wait to see the look in their eyes when they unwrap them...
Yup. It's going to be a shooting Christmas!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I

It is unfortunate that NDZ doesn't have an ambi latch. Seems like a no brainer to have one.
I agree, but it will be a wait and see. Didn't get any real vibes from the fellows when I was showing them the PT.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Belt-Fed's latch is a SOLID product. I have one as well. You won't be disappointed. However, I'm almost positive it will not fit either the Plinker or the NDZ handle.
Wow... interesting. Why is that, on the NDZ that is?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Wow... interesting. Why is that, on the NDZ that is?
If I remember correctly, it was a very tight fit. Too tight, in fact, to allow the spring to influence the latch. I didn't get far enough to see if the hook of the latch would line up. But Belt-Fed did not design his latch to work with after market aluminum handles, he designed it to be a replacement for the stock latch on the stock handle. This he achieved absolutely.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

I will take your word for it then since you own both and clearly tried it. Thanks for the info.

Does seem kind of odd though... NDZ does not give you a latch, you reuse your own stock OEM latch. Belt_fed replaces the stock latch to fit into the OEM stock handle. So if NDZ requires you to use the stock latch, which Belt_fed mimics to fit into the stock handle, how can they not play nice together? Plus, NDZ says you can use your stock latch or get one of their latches... which if you get one of their latches it must fit into an OEM handle. So if their after market latch can be used on a stock handle, and Belt_fed makes a latch that can be used on a stock handle, they should play together. very odd.

Last edited by Locked-N-Loaded; 12-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM

I agree, they should play well together, although I have NO experience with belt-fed's latch. With the NDZ, you have a choice - your original latch or theirs. The S&W latch fits both the PT and the NDZ, though why one should want to I can't fathom.

The PT latch takes a little massaging to make it work with the NDZ - a very slight bend outwards on the hook and on the right side of the latch.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM

yeah, if you can take the stock latch and put it into a NDZ then logically the Belt_fed stock latch replacement latch should fit in the NDZ as well. At least, logically speaking

Oh well, the Belt_fed latch is on the way so I am pretty pumped about that as I really like the latch design; minimalist material achieving the stance of an extended latch. If the NDZ seems like a way to go, I will get that as well and see with a few jewelers tools - if needed - I can mate them I have pulled tougher mods off

For those interested who have not seen the latch I speak off....

Last edited by Locked-N-Loaded; 12-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
yeah, if you can take the stock latch and put it into a NDZ then logically the Belt_fed stock latch replacement latch should fit in the NDZ as well. At least, logically speaking

Oh well, the Belt_fed latch is on the way so I am pretty pumped about that as I really like the latch design; minimalist material achieving the stance of an extended latch. If the NDZ seems like a way to go, I will get that as well and see with a few jewelers tools - if needed - I can mate them I have pulled tougher mods off

For those interested who have not seen the latch I speak off....

So I disassembled my charging handle and re-tried it, just to be sure. It has been a while since I made the switch. Long story, it doesn't work. Logically, yes it should, I agree with you. However, it doesn't. The latch is both too tight on the NDZ, not so much on the Plinker, but the Plinker still won't work because the holes don't line up exactly. As for the NDZ, it was too tight a fit for me to even get to see if the holes line up. Here is a photo showing you the difference between the stock latch, Belt-Fed's and the Plinker latch. the difference I circled in red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0278.jpg (105.1 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by PainterlyShotgroup; 12-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Easy easy.. I believed you. I was just pontificating out loud - and made a few caveat clarifications as such - that it should logically. Not calling you out for being wrong, just trying to communally figure it out and understand how it could possibly be as you claimed it and proved it. Thanks for the photos, super helpful.

Clearly, the only real things that matter are (1) thickness of metal (2) the location of the hole in space (3) the location of the latch hook in space. The rest of the design, no matter. If those 3 things mimic the stock latch, it should be GTG. So, it just proves some variance on the smallest levels, but yet each still works as the tolerances clearly can take some tiny fudging.

BTW.. the Plinker one is of no interest to me, only the NDZ.

PS - when I get mine, I will photo next to the stock & post up and see if design or tolerances have changed any in the Belt_fed.

Last edited by Locked-N-Loaded; 12-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Easy easy.. I believed you. I was just pontificating out loud - and made a few caveat clarifications as such - that it should logically. Not calling you out for being wrong, just trying to communally figure it out and understand how it could possibly be as you claimed it and proved it. Thanks for the photos, super helpful.

BTW.. the Plinker one is of no interest to me, only the NDZ.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to express that I was mad. I'll edit my post.
It makes perfect sense that they should all be interchangeable, but they aren't. Aside from that extra thickness in the wall of the latch I circled, the Belt-Fed latch is so very minutely thicker overall. I think the OEM handle allows for this, while the NDZ has tighter tolerances.

Yes, please do. It would be interesting to see if he changed anything with them or not. I may have just received a thicker one. I think either way, you will not regret buying his latch. If you do end up getting the NDZ, there are other latches that will fit, and your Belt-Fed latch may just end up working as well.

Last edited by PainterlyShotgroup; 12-10-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM

I stand (sit?) corrected.

It looks like Belt-fed didn't pay sufficient attention to the location of the pivot pin's hole.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

When I started making my latches there was not a single aftermarket company that made anything for these guns that I was aware of. Just a few of us hobbie guys willing to make extra of the custom parts we were running on our personal guns. So I made them to fit the factory handle. These new handles ive not seen in person but if the hole wont line up then they are not putting the same amount of clearance in between the pin and the bottom of the latch slot. Not saying its wrong just saying different spec. Which could be easily fixed on my latch with a file i left meat in this location to add strength. My latches also are cut from blancher ground stock that was just thick enough to fit snug in the factory handle so it wouldnt flop around. If i had to guess the aftermarket handles are cut with an 1/8" endmill and between my tolerances running tight and tool wear or flex on their part they wont mate. But if i have a customer wanting one mated id be happy to do so.. its a minor mod.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM

Yep... "a minor mod" - totally agreed.

Glad to see you piped in thanks for the PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

Ya i apologize for the "no response" in such a long time but the forum auto logged me out so i wasnt getting PMs and ive been crazy busy with a mil demo ive got coming up.. so I havent check in here in a few months. Sorry..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM

Welcome Back!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Default Charging Handle

Here is my new Charging handle from NDZ performance.com

S&W MP 15-22 2012 008CH1.jpg

S&W MP 15-22 2012 CH2.jpg
Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
US Veteran
Liked 959 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspan View Post
Here is my new Charging handle from NDZ performance.com

Attachment 94333

Attachment 94334
Nice! Mine's Superman and Zombie Hunter.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Excellent Choice!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
US Veteran
Liked 116 Times in 68 Posts

i was undecided, but this thread made picking one easy. i ordered the NDZ with no graphic.

i ordered it on Tuesday and it just arrived on the island today. i should have it in my mailbox and on my rifle by tomorrow. that was pretty fast shipping considering it came from Connecticut.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound wave View Post
i was undecided, but this thread made picking one easy. i ordered the NDZ with no graphic.

i ordered it on Tuesday and it just arrived on the island today. i should have it in my mailbox and on my rifle by tomorrow. that was pretty fast shipping considering it came from Connecticut.
The guys give good and fast service.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Default 15-22p compatible

do these work with the pistol version?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma1 View Post
do these work with the pistol version?
They should, but drop NDZ a note and ask, to be sure.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So is SimpleWeaponSolutions going to be selling an ambi catch I can put on my son's rifle in the near future?
I want that plus his brass deflector, and I really don't want to buy the PT version.
If the Rainier one was available for a 15-22, that would be nice, but anything functional and well made will be fine by me.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

Check these out;
Bolt Parts : Tacticool22, Tactical .22 Rifle Parts and Accessories
You will not find better ones anywhere. They are designed, tested and machined in Oregon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1239.jpg (120.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1240.jpg (122.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1241.jpg (116.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1242.jpg (104.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1238.jpg (111.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

tacticool gots the best ones on the market. Fast shipping and low prices. Boom done!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Damn tacticool I want that blue one... I already got the black. Damn will need to speak with the lady and why I need two handles. LoL.