Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job.  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Spring/firing pin job.

Can anyone share a link or information on how to do this myself? Or should this be done by a gunsmith? I dropped a Timney trigger and KNS pins, and now I am having a lot of light strikes with failure to fires.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job. Spring/firing pin job.  
Liked 243 Times in 132 Posts

I'm not really sure what procedure you are asking for instruction on. Please clarify that for us.

I can't comment on the Timney trigger, but I know there are people on here that have them and do not report issues. Have you tried your new trigger with some different ammo brands? What worked with the stock FCG may not be the most reliable with a new lighter trigger.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee_Booter View Post
Can anyone share a link or information on how to do this myself? Or should this be done by a gunsmith? I dropped a Timney trigger and KNS pins, and now I am having a lot of light strikes with failure to fires.

Thanks in advance.
It is very unlikely that you need to monkey with the firing pin and spring. If you put the stock FCG back in and the problem goes away, the problem is more likely the hammer spring in the Timney.

Also, make sure the firing pin channel in the bolt isn't gunked up with excess lube. In reality, there should be no lube in the channel at all, except maybe some dry graphite. Certainly nothing wet.

Last edited by Majorlk; 02-19-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I'll try cleaning again and see what happens.

What I'm dealing with is ...

I bought a slide fire and did the above mentioned modifications. Someone before mentioned trimming 3 coils off spring. Just looking for more information on that mod.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee_Booter View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll try cleaning again and see what happens.

What I'm dealing with is ...

I bought a slide fire and did the above mentioned modifications. Someone before mentioned trimming 3 coils off spring. Just looking for more information on that mod.
Don't have any experience with the SlideFire.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

Search the site, it's all on here and repeated often in various threads.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts
Default Spring/firing pin job.

I have that exact setup and mine works flawlessly. I never cut any coils at all, so I'm guessing that'd be the first place to look. If your LGS doesn't have one, I don't know where you'd find that spring, hardware store maybe. I guess it would be helpful to know which spring you cut. But if nothing else, if the hardware store carries them, take yours in and find a couple different ones at the same size circumference but a few coils longer.