Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations?  
Liked 249 Times in 131 Posts
Default Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations?

Hello guys. I have had my M&P 15-22 over a month now and I am loving this gun. I have the MagPul BUS but I want to add a red dot. I have a cheap ($25) Tasco that was on my 10/22 but I added a bull barrel for better accuracy and I switched the 10/22 back to a scope. I bought the riser and mounted my Tasco which has worked flawlessly but man does it look cheap. No offense if you have one they work great on a 22 but they look cheap IMO. I am looking for a low price decent red dot for my 15-22. I shoot a rimfire challenge with it so a red dot helps a lot. I have looked at several under $75 some look good but I have no idea if they are any good. I have read the reviews of some of the cheaper ones on Midway and Amazon and most are mixed. I trust the opinion of the people on this forum and I wonder what some of you have used for a low priced red dot that doesn't look cheap. I am okay with holographic sights also. I know I'm cheap but I will not spend a lot of money for a red dot on a 22. On a regular AR15 I will spend more. Some of the guys I shoot with have eotech's on their 15-22's. I just can't spend that much for optics on a 22. Thanks for the help.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations?  
Liked 53 Times in 14 Posts

Spend an extra 20 and get a primary arms most can be had for $100 or less
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bought a Centerpoint for mine last week, $50 at walmart. if u want to use back up sights u will need a riser. Has both red and green dots and 4 different reticles. Model #72602. Been a little too cool up here to get it dialed in, but got pretty close after 10 rounds

Last edited by ldvose; 02-28-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
US Veteran
Liked 959 Times in 516 Posts

TruGlo red/green. $65 if I remember correctly.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Liked 54 Times in 46 Posts

the bushnell TRS-25 is nice and has great reviews.i have one and love it and they cost around $100 anywhere they are sold.if you want to co witness with the stock sights then get a UTG .83" riser and it lines up perfectly.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Liked 603 Times in 250 Posts

I can highly recommend both the Primary Arms MD07 and the Bushnell TRS-25.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

UTG DS3840 4-Inch ITA Red/Green Dot Sight with 2 QD Mounts and Flip-open Lens Caps

NCStar Zombie Stryke 4x32 Compact Rifle Scope w/ Free S&H

Both these have been very good so far. UTG was 47.00shipped
NC Star was 74.00 shipped
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I have the utg me mentioned in the previous post and for $45 you can't beat it. Nice quality and holds zero like a champ.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

The 2 most reliable and affordable are

Bushnell TRS-25
&
Primary Arms Red Dot
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Spend an extra 20 and get a primary arms most can be had for $100 or less
This

I have the 30MM Primary Arms red dot and its a nice sight. $69 plus shipping.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Liked 130 Times in 74 Posts
Default Re: Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations?

SightMark, great sights, good prices. I posted some pics of mine, I prefer green dots though, so I got one. Sportsman's Guide has mine for 99.

Blasted from my Samsung Galaxy SIII (CM10.1 Masta Mix).
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't see spending $100-150+ on a red dot for a .22 that's used primarily for plinking.

I wanted a reflex (open) style vs scope style for more peripheral vision, which ruled out a lot of options (I'm still not sure if that was the correct route).

Anyway., I chose the Mueller Quick Shot and got it for $95 shipped with a free tshirt and decal from joeboboutfitters.com
Mueller Quick Shot? 1×22×33 (Black) - Mueller Optics

I couldn't find any negative (or positive for that matter) reviews on the various forums and such, but I went for it anyway.
Apparently, Mueller is more known in the Turkey hunting world. I figured if it could handle a turkey gun it could handle my .22 .

All that said, I can't compare it to other red dots because it's my first. But other than reflection in certain light situations it's spot on and I love it. I'm hoping reflection/glare is an open sight problem regardless of brand, but I may be wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opplanet-mueller-optics-1x22x33-quickshot-reddot-scope-black.jpg (10.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0979-1-1.jpg (46.9 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0984-1.jpg (52.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1015.jpg (39.8 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by grb; 03-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Liked 205 Times in 93 Posts

Get a Bushnell TRS-25 on a .83 riser for absolute co-witness with your sights. . Got my TRS from Botach for 79 bucks and free shipping.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just picked up the Primary Arms PA30CR for $82 shipped including a cantilever mount. I've only used it once but the sight seems well made and works great. The shipping was really fast. I ordered it on Friday and got it Monday priority mail. PA has a great reputation for customer service. I would definitely recommend this sight.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...t_p/pa30cr.htm
Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts

The primary arms red dot is by far the best value for the money. I run one on my 15-22, an my 5.56 AR and both have performed flawlessly through several thousand rounds.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropora View Post
the bushnell TRS-25 is nice and has great reviews.i have one and love it and they cost around $100 anywhere they are sold.if you want to co witness with the stock sights then get a UTG .83" riser and it lines up perfectly.
That's my setup ASWELL, Cant go wrong with the quality, and it looks sweet. I scored the first one for 50 bucks and just got another for70.To run on my Colt 6900 LE AR15. Look around u can find deals...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W1006 View Post
Hello guys. I have had my M&P 15-22 over a month now and I am loving this gun. I have the MagPul BUS but I want to add a red dot. I have a cheap ($25) Tasco that was on my 10/22 but I added a bull barrel for better accuracy and I switched the 10/22 back to a scope. I bought the riser and mounted my Tasco which has worked flawlessly but man does it look cheap. No offense if you have one they work great on a 22 but they look cheap IMO. I am looking for a low price decent red dot for my 15-22. I shoot a rimfire challenge with it so a red dot helps a lot. I have looked at several under $75 some look good but I have no idea if they are any good. I have read the reviews of some of the cheaper ones on Midway and Amazon and most are mixed. I trust the opinion of the people on this forum and I wonder what some of you have used for a low priced red dot that doesn't look cheap. I am okay with holographic sights also. I know I'm cheap but I will not spend a lot of money for a red dot on a 22. On a regular AR15 I will spend more. Some of the guys I shoot with have eotech's on their 15-22's. I just can't spend that much for optics on a 22. Thanks for the help.
Try the TruGlo Dual Color reflex sight. I have used one in both the 2011 and 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championships to finish in the top 25 using either a 15-22 or a 22 AR conversion. About $65 at Dicks or cheaper on line. Another I have been using lately that may be on my rifle for the 2013 event is the Pentax HS20 ($55). You can mount them flat on the rail without a riser and get much reduced bore axis offset over a mil-spec red dot on a co-witness riser mount. The top guys in RR usually mount a red dot right on top of the rail with no riser.

Last edited by photoracer; 03-01-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I just put a TRS-25 on my Mark III and really like it. I put the Bushnell Tatical Elite 1 x 32 on my 15-22. The TRS-25 can be found for $80 and the Tatical for about $140
Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 AM
US Veteran
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

i got a truglo 2x red dot looks good and i wanted something with a little magnification dot is super bright adjust from 1 to 10 brightness cost 100.00 at cabelas.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Liked 81 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSTYX View Post
Get a Bushnell TRS-25 on a .83 riser for absolute co-witness with your sights. . Got my TRS from Botach for 79 bucks and free shipping.
This, you can't beat it for the money. Batteries last forever, which is something you will find lacking in the cheapies. A guy on here has a post going, he's had his on for about 5 months and dot still going strong.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations? Cheap decent quality red dot recommendations?  
Liked 68 Times in 25 Posts

Took a Tasco ProPoint off my Desert Eagle, put it on my wife's 15-22. Works great. Grabbed another ProPoint at a gun show last evening for $25. They work well.
Picked up a Mepro 21 for her Colt AR-15 and it's beautiful but you probably don't want to head to that price range.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Liked 249 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
Try the TruGlo Dual Color reflex sight. I have used one in both the 2011 and 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championships to finish in the top 25 using either a 15-22 or a 22 AR conversion. About $65 at Dicks or cheaper on line. Another I have been using lately that may be on my rifle for the 2013 event is the Pentax HS20 ($55). You can mount them flat on the rail without a riser and get much reduced bore axis offset over a mil-spec red dot on a co-witness riser mount. The top guys in RR usually mount a red dot right on top of the rail with no riser.
I was talking to a coworker about he had a Truglo dual color he took off his AR. He said he didn't need it and sold it to me for $20. No complaints it mounted with no riser needed and it looks good. I will head to the range soon and give it a test. So far I am hapyy with it.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I got a trs 25 for my 15-22. Used it the first time today and I don't like it that much. I got it because it's so light.

My son has a gsg5 and I put a ncstar with laser on his and I like it much better. It was also about 20 bucks cheaper than the bushnell.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

Bushnell has a 20% rebate now on the TRS-25 and a few other models.

PDF of the rebate here.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just ordered a primary arms and got a mount for 69.99. Have seen a lot of good reviews for it on here. Once I get it and take it to the range I'll let everyone know what I think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I have decided to get the Primary Arms MD-07 or MD-08. Any preferences between the two?

Also which riser will I need for lower 1/3 co-witness? I have the Magpul MOE sights.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Liked 38 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogg View Post
UTG DS3840 4-Inch ITA Red/Green Dot Sight with 2 QD Mounts and Flip-open Lens Caps

..snip...

Both these have been very good so far. UTG was 47.00shipped
NC Star was 74.00 shipped
The winner right here. UTG.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Liked 217 Times in 103 Posts

Being both frugal (I really mean CHEAP!!!) and curious about what technology had brought since I last used an AR-type rifle (M16A1, 1968-1971 S.E.Asian War Games); I got myself a 15-22 instead of a centerfire version. The iron sights included where just about what I remembered from back in the day (though my eyes weren't) so I started buying some inexpensive optics. The whole point was to avoid tying a bunch of money up in glass for what was really just a fancy plinker (I think you can relate) so I looked for decent stuff that didn't cost the earth. First, I got a Pentax Gameseeker reflex from Sportsman's Guide that was a little hard to zero but did a heck of a job when it was dialed in. Then I picked up a pair of BSA 'scopes; one a 1-power, 3MOA red/blue/green-dot that was far easier to adjust and keeps it's zero quite well. The second was also a BSA, this a 3-12X40 that also fits on a riser for operating rod clearance. All of these have been more than accurate for my needs and have cost less than $100 combined (riser included). Would I take them hunting Hajiis in Afghanistan? No, but that ain't my job and a 15-22 wasn't made for that either. This stuff does an adequate job of satisfying my curiosity and putting bullets where I want them. If that's good enough for you, then look on the lower end of the price dial.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
Being both frugal (I really mean CHEAP!!!) and curious about what technology had brought since I last used an AR-type rifle (M16A1, 1968-1971 S.E.Asian War Games); I got myself a 15-22 instead of a centerfire version.
Frugal as it may be, if you really want to see how AR tech has changed, check out the newer centerfires. Piston driven, etc... They run MUCH cleaner than the M16A1's and A2's.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally got my red dot. Primary arms pa30cr. So far so good

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1362805062612.jpg (159.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1362805087353.jpg (32.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

I just purchased the BSA Huntsman (red/blue/green) from Academy Sports... They had sent me a gift card in the mail that all but paid for about $10 of it including tax.

I was able to check it out in the store and the "dot" seemed solid. By the time I got home, the dot was already starting to turn into a star. Needless to say, I'm taking it back and getting money back and buying the Bushnell TRS - 25.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Another vote for the TRS-25. Great little red dot!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

+1 for trs 25

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

I would not go with the TruGlo, I put one on a Ruger MK 3 and after 100 rds already having issues. The Bushnell seems to be better quality and a bit smaller as well. I guess you get what you pay for after all.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma1 View Post
I would not go with the TruGlo, I put one on a Ruger MK 3 and after 100 rds already having issues. The Bushnell seems to be better quality and a bit smaller as well. I guess you get what you pay for after all.
I've got over 3000 rds downrange with my 15-22 and a $65 TruGlo red/green on mine. No problems at all, solid zero from day 1. Some low cost things can be good quality.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Another thumbs up to the TRS 25 with the UCG mid-size riser.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb View Post
I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't see spending $100-150+ on a red dot for a .22 that's used primarily for plinking.

I wanted a reflex (open) style vs scope style for more peripheral vision, which ruled out a lot of options (I'm still not sure if that was the correct route).

Anyway., I chose the Mueller Quick Shot and got it for $95 shipped with a free tshirt and decal from joeboboutfitters.com
Mueller Quick Shot? 1×22×33 (Black) - Mueller Optics

I couldn't find any negative (or positive for that matter) reviews on the various forums and such, but I went for it anyway.
Apparently, Mueller is more known in the Turkey hunting world. I figured if it could handle a turkey gun it could handle my .22 .

All that said, I can't compare it to other red dots because it's my first. But other than reflection in certain light situations it's spot on and I love it. I'm hoping reflection/glare is an open sight problem regardless of brand, but I may be wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.
I'm in the same boat as you were as I am not trying to spend more on optics then what the rifle costs. I also at first was thinking of getting an open type reflex like yours but after a little research I found out about the reflection/sunlight issue. Seems as though this is remedied with the "hooded" versions. I was going to go with a truglo model but it looks way too bulky. This may sound stupid but I use to play COD like crazy and hated the small (to me) tubed red dots that you could put on guns. I never liked them as they gave me a small field of view through it. I always played with open reflex sights on all my guns. Yeah I know, it's not the same with the real thing.

So I found this one from Vector optics that I like because the hood is somewhat thin and is also open on the sides, so it gives you the benefit of both an open and hooded reflex and it's not as bulky as the tru glo. Only thing is that I can't find any reviews, good or bad about it. So i'm going to take a chance and try it out. I REALLY like the way it looks and the fact that it has a quick release latch. When I eventually get my long range scope I'll likely get it with quick release latches so I can switch between the two easily.
Vector Optics Ratchet 1x23x34 Multi Reticle Red Green Dot Sight with Quick Mount | eBay

Last edited by QuiQNeZZ; 03-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyezahn View Post
I've got over 3000 rds downrange with my 15-22 and a $65 TruGlo red/green on mine. No problems at all, solid zero from day 1. Some low cost things can be good quality.
Another vote for the TruGlo. I think I paid less than $60 on Amazon and I finally dialed it in a couple of days ago and I was shooting 3 inch groups at 60 yards. I figure thats not too bad for 60 yards and no magnification. And it held zero after 200 rounds or so.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default Sightmark(sm14000)

I went with the sightmark ultra shot digital switch with qd. I got it for 99 shipped off amazon. I had it zeroed in in 5 rounds, since then I have put about 1000 rounds through my rifle and its held zero perfectly!! I really love this sight! It has no glare with the bright Arizona sun at any angles and a nice, crisp view! It has 4 reticles and has no parallax. It also has a red ar coating and the quick release is really nice. It does an absolute co-witness with my mbus. I would recommend this to any one, looks good on the 15-22 as well!!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropora View Post
I have the same setup on one of my AR-15's, very happy with it. It is very accurate. For about 100 bucks you can get the riser and red dot. Couldn't be happier and it's NutnFancy approved too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLOd1jHz8E
Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Liked 65 Times in 37 Posts

trs-25 is $90 at brownells and there is a 20% mail in rebate.

TROPHY TRS-25 RED DOT SIGHT | Brownells
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hehe, you guys are making me feel bad... I got a $30 one..
Amazon.com: Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical 4 Reticle Red Dot Open Reflex Sight with Weaver-Picatinny Rail Mount: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KZczarcrL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KZczarcrL

Works great and has good reviews....
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Liked 289 Times in 111 Posts

Redfield has a new red dot sight coming out some time next month called the Counter Strike. It's not exactly cheap at a MSRP of $179, but then it's not too expensive and it's got a lot of neat features. It has a 1 x 30MM red or a green dot (your choice) on top, with a built in red laser sight mounted below it, and it mounts right on a Picatinny rail. So you've got the best of both worlds with both a red/green dot and a laser sight. Battery life is said to be up to 5000 hours on the low setting. Looks interesting.