Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Anyone shooting SK Magazine .22?

Went to my first Appleseed event this weekend with my 15-22. Earlier this summer I managed to buy a case of the SK Magazine ammunition. Since it was the only ammo I had with 500 rounds available, I took a can to the shoot.

I discovered this ammunition has a film of grease covered the entire cartridge. No way to do anything about it at the range, so I shot it.

The good news is that my 15-22 ran through 400+ rounds of the stuff over two days without a single failure of any kind. Accuracy of the round seemed excellent when the rifleman managed to do his part correctly.

The bad news came when I opened up the rifle last night to clean it, expecting my usual five minutes with a brush and rag on the bolt and receiver along with a bore snake pass. Wrong, Alan! The faces of the bolt and the breech were pretty much covered with greasy gunk, with plenty more of the stuff coating the interior front of the receiver, the extractor, front of the bolt rails. Less of it down in the guts of the fire control group, but that is a relative statement, still quite a mess.

I am actually surprised/impressed that I ran through the second day without any malfunctions. I've never seen anything like this with the 15-22 before, usually I've got some dispersed soot with a little grit to brush out.

In the limited time I had last night, even working on the receiver with a solvent-soaked brush, I don't have all the gunk out. The stuff pushed into the recesses between the barrel extension(?) and the receiver is challenging ... If compressed air doesn't help, I may be trying out my new barrel wrench .

Since I have another 4500 rounds of this ammunition, I'm in search of advice. If anyone else shoots it, do you clean the grease off before shooting? If so, by hand (ugh), or could I tumble these with some solvent-dampened media?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

Wow, 400 rds and no failures and good accuracy. I'd take that any day. SK is very good ammo, you are lucky to have it...After that much shooting, I'd rather have the greasy problem then the hard cooked on fouling I usually get! Try the Hornady product degreaser and dry lube spray for a faster clean up. You really don't have any problem!!!..........Plum
Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,328 Times in 521 Posts

I recall the admonishment in weapons training class in the Corps not to use any greased rounds in the M16 as it could lead to unsafe chamber pressures, since the round 'seals' more tightly in the breach.

.22lr pressures are pretty low in comparison to the 5.56, so whether or not this would be an issue, I don't know. With a blowback action, it might even help cycling to have more pressure and a bit of lube on the casing.

The Aguila ammo I bought has a sort of waxy-feeling lube on the nose of the rounds, but it didn't seem to cause any cleaning or cycling issues.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked 4,159 Times in 1,931 Posts

It's weird stuff alright,but it groups well and functions properly.I've never seen 22 ammo lubed this way before.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaGrunny View Post
I recall the admonishment in weapons training class in the Corps not to use any greased rounds in the M16 as it could lead to unsafe chamber pressures ...
A long time back (and before a shoulder injury) when I was trying to take up service rifle shooting, I believe I was told the same thing at a Garand clinic with respect to the M1 and M1A.

Quote:
The Aguila ammo I bought has a sort of waxy-feeling lube on the nose of the rounds, ...
After seeing all the glop in rifle's action, I did look at my other .22LR inventory. The Federal, Winchester, CCI, and Aguila all seem to have a wax-like lube on the bullet, but only the SK has a layer of grease covering the entire round. None of the other brands have caused this kind of build-up in the 15-22; but I didn't have enough of any other brand to shoot the Appleseed event even if I had known the downside to churning through a lot of the SK beforehand.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Liked 3,876 Times in 2,051 Posts

The reason for keeping grease and oil off of center-fire cases is that is causes the case to set back harder against the bolt face, increasing the pressure on the locking lugs. This is even more important in semi-auto and lever action firearms than bolt actions.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked 59 Times in 30 Posts

I have a case of this also. I have not fired it yet but it gets good reviews.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have about 1000 rounds of this stuff too. Seemed to make a mess on the fingers too, but shot great out of the MP and my kids 10/22s. I am tempted to "clean off" the ammo with a rag and maybe solution of some kind before shooting the rest. Maybe just put it in an ammo can or something.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemustang View Post
... Seemed to make a mess on the fingers too, ...
Yes it did. During prep periods at the Appleseed event, I was usually the last person getting to the line to sling up, establish position, etc., since I had to degrease my fingers after loading magazines.
Quote:
I am tempted to "clean off" the ammo with a rag and maybe solution of some kind before shooting the rest. ...
I also plan to do something to the ammunition before shooting more. I am debating putting a few tablespoons of mineral spirits into my case cleaning media and giving some a ride in the tumbler, but that is going to clean the grease off the bullet also.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked 3,876 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemustang View Post
I have about 1000 rounds of this stuff too. Seemed to make a mess on the fingers too, but shot great out of the MP and my kids 10/22s. I am tempted to "clean off" the ammo with a rag and maybe solution of some kind before shooting the rest. Maybe just put it in an ammo can or something.
Do not put rimfire ammo in a container to soak. The seal of the bullet into the case is non-existant and liquids will penetrate the joint. Center-fire, on the other hand, has an essentially sealed joint between the bullet and case and between the primer and primer pocket, even with no sealant applied.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Liked 332 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
Do not put rimfire ammo in a container to soak. The seal of the bullet into the case is non-existant and liquids will penetrate the joint. Center-fire, on the other hand, has an essentially sealed joint between the bullet and case and between the primer and primer pocket, even with no sealant applied.
X2, Just don't do it. You'll have a bunch of worthless 22 after the powder gets soaked vs just having to spend more time cleaning.

Also expanding on the reason against lubed ammo and increase bolt thrust, since the 15-22 is not a locked breech but just a straight blow back its not really an issue. With a locked breech the increase thrust loads hammer the locking lugs, 15-22 = no locking lugs to hammer.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just mean maybe spray some citrus cleaner on an old tshirt then dump some of the rounds in the tshirt and roll them around a bit in my hands to get at least a majority of the grease off. I wasnt considering filling a coffee can with degreaser :-)
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts

I posted about this a few months ago, just take and pour some out on a towel and fold the towel over it and roll the ammo. You don't want to remove all the lube, just the excess. That towel will turn black.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:46 PM

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts

Leave it on but keep some wipes nearby for your hands! All SK and Wolf .22 lr have this oil/grease on it. It is affectionately known by those of us that use it, as "wolf snot."