Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Cancelled backorders for Federal 22LR on MidwayUSA

Just an FYI -

I've had a backorder placed with MidwayUSA for the Federal Champion 22LR ammunition since Dec 2012. I got an email yesterday from Midway indicating they were cancelling my back order.

I followed up with a chat session to find out why it was cancelled and the agent indicated Federal had informed them "they were not going to be able to deliver the ammunition", and so Midway cancelled all their back orders for it.

I know 22LR is still hard to find, but this seems like more bad news if true. It's hard to believe Federal isn't even going to TRY to deliver any of it in the foreseeable future.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked 4,945 Times in 2,936 Posts
Default Something is wrong.....

Something is wrong in world of .22 ammo. Other ammo is getting back in stock and now a major factory says they can't deliver product.

One theory: Are manufacturers are creating shortages like in the past has happened with gasoline, sugar, toilette paper. There was a buzz term when I was working about 'value-added' products. Turning the same product from a commodity item into a specialty item.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Liked 903 Times in 455 Posts

I would think that "not going to be able to deliver" means something more along the lines of unable to provide the quantity requested in the allotted time rather than sorry no idea when or if we will have any.

Can't even guess whether it is just their standard policy - or an executive decision based on prevailing conditions - but imagine you are the manufacturer and you accept backorders for a given product and over a period of time the rate at which those backorders stack up grows at a rate that exceeds your capacity to produce the item. It makes sense to cut off pre-orders or back-orders until your production catches up.
For me I would think that maybe 6 months would be the longest I would ant an item to be on backorder - sure would not want to be surprised a year or two after I placed an order with a charge on my credit card for an order that I had forgotten that I had even ordered it.
While I would not say that I expect to see an end to the demand any time soon - perhaps this will recalibrate the demand. In other words if everyone buying wants 10,000 rounds now - but cannot put that much on order - and backs off to 2,000 rounds - then the factories catch up and you can place your order for 2,000 rounds every few months with only occasional slips to back order status.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Liked 291 Times in 126 Posts

Price change, were they required to sell at old prices? Why sells 100K rounds at last years prices when todays prices have gone up.

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Liked 99 Times in 61 Posts

If it's a price increase, I'd like to see them honor the backorder itself, but advise the customer of the price increase. Give the customer the option to get the item at the increased price. Better than dumping orders. But then, there are those folks that would complain that they already had a commitment at the earlier price. Whatcha gonna do . . . .?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Liked 194 Times in 88 Posts

I wasn't 100% convinced there was a conspiracy until I read the big article in American Rifleman trying to explain it.
The "shortage" has been going on way too much for way too long.

Magazines are paid for by advertisers and in this case advertisers include Ammunition and parent/related companies.
The Rifleman ran that article because that's what their advertisers wanted.

The NRA is the parent company behind the Rifleman and also receives support from the ammunition parent/related companies.

Why are they trying so hard to convince us this is normal given the circumstances ? It in not normal, even given the current political situation.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Liked 740 Times in 268 Posts

They are taking orders for Remington 22lr as a back order.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Liked 2,485 Times in 1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint243 View Post
I wasn't 100% convinced there was a conspiracy until I read the big article in American Rifleman trying to explain it.
The "shortage" has been going on way too much for way too long.

Magazines are paid for by advertisers and in this case advertisers include Ammunition and parent/related companies.
The Rifleman ran that article because that's what their advertisers wanted.

The NRA is the parent company behind the Rifleman and also receives support from the ammunition parent/related companies.

Why are they trying so hard to convince us this is normal given the circumstances ? It in not normal, even given the current political situation.
+1 one on what he said and that is this has gone way to long to be normal.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,569 Times in 964 Posts

Or could it be that they feel, why sell ammunition that should sell for .04 a round when they could sell ammunition that sells for .20 a round or more. I saw the youtube video on making .22 ammunition and it looked more labor intense then center fire ammunition which was fully automated. Am I right I don't know only the manufactures know for sure and I'm wrong a lot of times. It just seems like if they are working 24/7 then there should be .22 showing up. The hoarders and hucksters can't be buying it all especially with limits on the amount you can purchase. I've seen it trickle into some stores and some not getting any, but centerfire is showing up in larger quantities now, but a lot of import ammunition is showing up and over priced ammo is staying on the shelf.

I didn't get to read the American Rifleman article I think the mail person has my copy reading it as with my copies of H.O.G. and Enthusiast magazines as well but she is cute so I don't complain.

OH NO a conspiracy theory get out the tin foil hats look out for the zombies, the government is stock pilling it to deal with public unrest. Some say .22 is the best survival round so load up the bunkers.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked 1,432 Times in 655 Posts

I used to buy bricks upon occasion prior to the shortage. I would use those $12-14.00 bricks as gifts or stocking stuffers for my son and older Grandson.

Growing up a full box of 22 LR in our house was a luxury. Some days my brother and I would have to share the last bullet. I would also buy some bricks so I would never pull a Barney and be down to one bullet.

I reload and keep way ahead there for the center fire and can for the shotgun but when I shot trap and skeet I loaded up on some cases. I bought a 25-06 and Cabelas had some Ugo 25-06 for $10.00 a box, I bought 10.

When I retired and we packed up the basement I found lots of bricks. One was russian. I paid 8 something for it just before the bubble burst.

I'v read they set up and do certain ammo type manufacturing runs. Looks like they need to move the bosses and big brass out to a mobile home and use that space to make 22 LR.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Liked 445 Times in 133 Posts

we have all your .22 ammo here in England

Keith
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Liked 5,772 Times in 2,147 Posts

The reason .22lr is in short supply is because of your rifle, the 1522, and an endless list of other .22 "black rifles" that simply didn't exist just a few years ago. And now look at the huge number of new .22 centerfire handgun replicas being produced. None of this existed a few years ago. As well, bad economic times drive folks to shooting more rimfire. I shoot more .22 than most folks and I can tell you that cheap bulk ammo was getting more and more difficult to find well before the panic. The panic simply pushed things over the edge or rim as it were.

Along with the explosion in new .22 guns has come an explosion in rimfire suppressor sales. Supressors, which used to be a rare animal, are now quite common to see at the club. Rimfire gun manufactures are putting out all sorts of guns with threaded barrels that they never had done before.

Gentlemen, this ain't your daddy's 10-22 and Marlin 60 rimfire world anymore. Y'all are dangling 25rd mags from your rifles and blowing through bricks of ammo in a shooting session.... and there is a ton more of ya than ever before.

As far as Midway canceling backorders... don't know. But it has been widely publicized on the Net that Midway was taking backorders on .22 ammo. I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of shooters stampeded to get their orders placed before it became clear there was just no way fulfilling.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-07-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tadeus67

Is almost the same here in Mexico. You cant find AGUILA ammo, but Remington, Federal and Winchester are in stock at the army gunshop were we civilians can buy ammo. Some independent ammo deposits have AGUILA but not in great quantities.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor127 View Post

Keith
Don't make us come get them.....
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Liked 2,860 Times in 1,600 Posts

Quit buying up every 22 as soon as they hit the shelves and there will be no shortage. My LGS posts 22lr delivery and it's sold out in minutes. They post 9mm and 1 or 2 boxes are sold.

It's a vicious self fulfilling proficy. You guys (everyone into 22lr) crys shortage and when ammo shows up you buy if all instantly, thus creating the shortage over again. If people continued to buy 9 and other calibers like that we would still have a shortage of everything

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
Quit buying up every 22 as soon as they hit the shelves and there will be no shortage. My LGS posts 22lr delivery and it's sold out in minutes. They post 9mm and 1 or 2 boxes are sold.

It's a vicious self fulfilling proficy. You guys (everyone into 22lr) crys shortage and when ammo shows up you buy if all instantly, thus creating the shortage over again. If people continued to buy 9 and other calibers like that we would still have a shortage of everything

Only once or twice since the bubble burst have I ever seen any 22 on the shelf. A LGS had a few but one box only, I declined their generous offer of 9.99 and once bought 3 of the 100 round Win Super Speed at Wally world a year or so ago at non gouging prices. I personally have not seen any since. And 9mm has been non existent every where I've looked.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:09 PM

All my LGS are stocked with 9, 40, 45....etc...etc. Selection is small but quantity is there. Just an example of one LGS

Both of these examples are a few weeks old. I think the 22lr is about 4 weeks ago and the 9mm is a 2-3 weeks ago

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389125243887.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	137946   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389125273585.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	137947  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,080 Times in 1,746 Posts

I'm seeing more .22's around of late... I bought two 555's for less than retail last week. There were 8 more that I left behind.

Ammo has always been available on the local, statewide buy/sell boards, but due to the scalpers that live there, it's as much as 300% of retail. However, in a recent, encouraging development, prices there have declined dramatically. Looks like "panic selling" as these guys have their rent money tied up and they are about to get a lesson in capitalisim.

Choke! Choke!
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I agree with Arik and Chattanooga Phil. We are the main reason for the "shortage" in .22lr lasting this long. I'm just as guilty as anyone. I've bought an M&P 15-22 and a Colt-Walther 1911 .22 in the past year and shot over 6000 rds through them so far. And... because of this I am sitting on 20,000 rds because I have to be my own reliable supplier.

However, I don't know why the Federal Champion-Midway deal fell through after a year. If the OP is referring to the 525 bulk this is espesially odd since Cabelas and Gander Mountain have been getting this in lately more regularly than before. Even my local Walmart had some of this this week and they usually have the 550 bulk especially made for them.

It will be interesting if a further reply from Midway is forthcoming. I have some backorders from them myself.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor127 View Post

Keith
And we have all your SMLE 303's. Wanna trade?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

To clarify - yes, my order was for the 525 round boxes (Federal Champion Ammo 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point).

I was a bit annoyed at them for cancelling the order. I mean, if Federal really told them sorry we can't give you any for a really long time - then OK, they can't help that. But the fact that it does periodically show up in other places tells me that is unlikely. Sadly it seems more likely that this is price-related.

I believe they stopped accepting backorders shortly after I got mine in (I can only imagine how many backorders they actually had). The part that annoys me is a backorder is essentially an agreement to honor a price once the item is back in stock - and now they've gone back on that.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to bash them. I like Midway and just put another order through with them, but it seems wrong to just go cancel back orders they previously agreed to.

I haven't actually bought any 22LR since last January. That was 2100 rounds. I'm still living off of that, so I don't go shoot the 15-22 all that often now. It also helps that no range I know allows rapid fire, so I don't go through all that much ammo in a given trip )
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Liked 1,278 Times in 596 Posts

Thats weird because I bought a box of Federal 525 at wally world earlier along with a few 100rd sleeves of CCI.

How can they cancel orders to midway, yet still be able to send orders out to wally world.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,348 Times in 527 Posts

It might even be a bookkeeping thing having to do with inventory levels and backlog. There are some twitchy tax rules involving inventory carried on the books across an accounting year, and maybe there are tax impacts for longstanding back orders too?

Don't know. Not an accountant.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Liked 3,892 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaGrunny View Post
It might even be a bookkeeping thing having to do with inventory levels and backlog. There are some twitchy tax rules involving inventory carried on the books across an accounting year, and maybe there are tax impacts for longstanding back orders too?

Don't know. Not an accountant.
Very interesting theory. Maybe back orders are carried on the books as receivables.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM

Liked 5,772 Times in 2,147 Posts

During the Great AR15 Panic of 2012-13, Midway honored prices on backordered mags while other Net retailers were quadrupling prices. Never known Midway to play games.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Liked 1,094 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post

Along with the explosion in new .22 guns has come an explosion in rimfire suppressor sales. Supressors, which used to be a rare animal, are now quite common to see at the club. Rimfire gun manufactures are putting out all sorts of guns with threaded barrels that they never had done before.

Gentlemen, this ain't your daddy's 10-22 and Marlin 60 rimfire world anymore. Y'all are dangling 25rd mags from your rifles and blowing through bricks of ammo in a shooting session.... and there is a ton more of ya than ever before.
Man, you sure have described me. Since buying the 15-22, I shoot much more than when I just shot the AR. The addition of the suppressor for the 22s increased my shooting even more as now I can shoot on my own property. Every time I shoot now, I empty 12 25 round mags plus a 50 round drum... at a minimum. Not unusual for me to shoot twice a week.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaul View Post
They are taking orders for Remington 22lr as a back order.
In December I put a Remington Bucket of Bullets .22 on backorder with a "promise" of January. Last time I looked the promise is for mid-June.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Default Federal 22lr

Haven't seen any 22lr ammo on the shelves here in over a year! Not once...not even at my local LGS. I was in Bass Pro Shops yesterday, and asked them if they got any 22...the guy directed me to the American Rifleman article, and said "There's your answer..." He said they never knew what they would be receiving on each truck, they just had to wait and see...said the last truck had one(1) box of 22lr....
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Liked 113 Times in 70 Posts

Can the Chinese import ammo in to the US ? Once that starts we'll all be in a deep hole ! Of course it could all be going to the South China Sea too.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatboatWilly View Post
Can the Chinese import ammo in to the US ? Once that starts we'll all be in a deep hole ! Of course it could all be going to the South China Sea too.
No.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by model70hunter View Post
And we have all your SMLE 303's. Wanna trade?
No no no. I like my 303's thank you very much!!! You guys there can keep the 22s

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they got more than a years+ Federals production of backorders and realized they just couldn't fulfill them all within an acceptable amount of time. Rather than deal with angry customers all year they just dropped them all and figure deal with it all at once.

Some items have been shipping as I got my 2000 rounds of M22 in early December when I was suppose to get it in May. I figure if I had placed that order a few days later and I'd still be waiting on it.

I do agree that we are our worst enemy when it comes to this shortage. I've only been a firearms owner since November 2012, and 15-22 owner since last april, so I have pretty much have only known this "get it while you can" ammo environment. I have had good luck with the 22 ammo thread and using the Walmart app, but if you are not plugged in and looking 2-3 times a day you are going to miss out.

Just keep your eye on the ammo thread maybe those of us that did well before can make a point to post more to that thread even though I don't 'need' it to help pay it forward.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 PM

Liked 79 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
During the Great AR15 Panic of 2012-13, Midway honored prices on backordered mags while other Net retailers were quadrupling prices. Never known Midway to play games.
+1+1+1+1+1+1 sorry, my message was to freakin short I guess................geeeesh
Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 AM

Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts

I was in Bass Pro for the 25th time. I always ask it they have any .22lr. The answer is always, no. I ask at Dick's Sporting Good, Academy Sports, Walmart, etc. It's always the same answer, No. Sold Out. Bass Pro told me they get some in on every truck. Tuesday, Thursday Saturday (maybe) at 9:00, He said the same guys are in line everyday and buy everything they have within minutes. Hoarders are causing this. I tend to believe American Rifleman (NRA) they are hard core against Obama, if he was to blame they would scream it.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,348 Times in 527 Posts

You'd think that well over a year of apparently bottomless demand would have prompted SOME manufacturer to tool up for added volume. Or for a new competitor to enter the fray & snap up some low-hanging fruit.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

When Midway cancelled my backorder they said that they cancel backorders after 365 days.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray cat View Post
When Midway cancelled my backorder they said that they cancel backorders after 365 days.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
Correct. They recently updated their backorder policy - you can check it out online. It clearly (and unfortunately) states that they cancel the backorder after 365 days.

What is your Backorder Policy?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Liked 415 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8503 View Post
Correct. They recently updated their backorder policy - you can check it out online. It clearly (and unfortunately) states that they cancel the backorder after 365 days.

What is your Backorder Policy?
So my back order created in 12/2013 that just got bumped to 10/29/2014 is dancing within days of being dropped entirely?? But they are still taking back orders? So if someone back orders in June and my BO gets bumped to 12/2014 it will be dropped but the the person who BO'D in June gets to stay on the List????? You notice how irritating BO's are, I wonder if the initials are just a coincidence or part of the plan. Time to make a new foil hat, it got above zero today, things are looking up. Be Safe,
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermd View Post
So my back order created in 12/2013 that just got bumped to 10/29/2014 is dancing within days of being dropped entirely?? But they are still taking back orders? So if someone back orders in June and my BO gets bumped to 12/2014 it will be dropped but the the person who BO'D in June gets to stay on the List????? You notice how irritating BO's are, I wonder if the initials are just a coincidence or part of the plan. Time to make a new foil hat, it got above zero today, things are looking up. Be Safe,
You got me, brother...

I only know because I got an email from them this afternoon about some Remington Bucket O' Bullets I have on backorder with them. I placed the backorder in November, and it originally had a arrival date of 12/31/2013. They just emailed me to tell me it's been pushed to June.

I saw at the bottom of the email a little blurb about backorder policy changing and clicked on it. That's when I saw the 365 day stipulation. I have no idea how long that's been going on for. It could have been that way for awhile for all I know. I'm really hoping my backorder ships before June at this point
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8503 View Post
You got me, brother...

I only know because I got an email from them this afternoon about some Remington Bucket O' Bullets I have on backorder with them. I placed the backorder in November, and it originally had a arrival date of 12/31/2013. They just emailed me to tell me it's been pushed to June.

I saw at the bottom of the email a little blurb about backorder policy changing and clicked on it. That's when I saw the 365 day stipulation. I have no idea how long that's been going on for. It could have been that way for awhile for all I know. I'm really hoping my backorder ships before June at this point
It's kind of weird that we're all getting emails about backorders being pushed at the same time. Maybe there's something bigger going on?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM

Liked 415 Times in 270 Posts

Kevin8503- 2-3 days ago I checked my back order only to find it had been bumped. I checked their BO policy, nothing about 365 days. Read another post on here and someone said the policy was NOT on line. Today I received the email with update about the bump, checked their BO policy and SURPRISE there was the 365 disclaimer. So it may have been their policy but it has only been online in the last 2-3 days. Be Safe,
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned

Liked 106 Times in 44 Posts

I was happy to cancel my backorder with Midway, I did it today. Mine was for a case of American Eagle 22lr which never showed up. Midway gouges their customers with exorbitant shipping costs, and their estimates of "in stock" are piss poor. I will NEVER DO BUSINESS with Midway again....

As to the ammo shortage, I dont believe in any conspiracy theories. Read the article that was previously mentioned in last month's American Rifleman... Are we the problem?? Quite likely. The shooting sport has grown immensely in the past 5-10 years.. Have I bought every round of 22lr I have seen available in the past year, at the highest quantities available? Yes I have... I'm sure you guys have too.

Last edited by 68lemans462; 01-08-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

When I placed a back order for some 22 last January the merchant told me that they could only hold credit card purchases for one year; even though I wasn't billed for it when the order was placed. The cancellation of your order might fall inline with this rule.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I can buy all the 22lr I need. And it's normal price. Maybe we stole it all

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 AM

I'd cancel my backorder, but even with the ridiculous shipping the Bucket O' Bullets will come to $77; or $0.055 cents a round. That's still really hard to beat these days. Compared to some of the stuff posted on the In-Stock Ammo thread here, it's worth it to let the backorder ride out and see what happens.

Now if they try and jack up the price, I'll be on that website like a man on a mission.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

At least you don't live in NY. The canceled mine and I can never order online again after the 15th.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midias View Post
At least you don't live in NY. The canceled mine and I can never order online again after the 15th.
Ok you win. That flat out stinks.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Liked 79 Times in 40 Posts

got this from Sportsman guide this morning Blazer Value pak
discontinued?????
Dear Valued Customer,

You asked us to notify you when this item became available for purchase:

# 212184-000-000 - 525 RDS. .22 LR 40 GR LRN

Unfortunately we have been informed that this item will not be available for purchase since it has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 8,140 Times in 3,413 Posts

The CMP has notified it's customers that there is a 2 year backorder on 22LR ammo, from what they've been told. They're, like everyone else, trying to get ammo from whomever they can.
This is going to be a long haul folks.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabadam View Post
I know 22LR is still hard to find, but this seems like more bad news if true. It's hard to believe Federal isn't even going to TRY to deliver any of it in the foreseeable future.
The issue is that Federal is no longer manufacturing those rounds in that packaging. This makes it a different item, one that Midway must now order new and that we (I got cancelled too) must order from Midway when they get it straightened out.

Most manufacturers run .22 LR in one shot a year. Some are now running .22 LR production lines year-round but, until the last year or two, there has never been the demand for that volume. To run a line continuously means something else doesn't get run or the plant has to invest more space, time, people and tooling to set up a new line. Even that's happening, it just doesn't happen over a weekend.

I've got several .22 LR orders going on a year past original delivery dates. But I still keep ordering...

Jeff