Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off?  
Liked 129 Times in 76 Posts
Default MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off?

I'm about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a 15-22 and have been kicking around which model I want. After handling the MOE version yesterday, I realized the MOE version seems like a hard justification for the price tag. There is no weight savings with the stock, the grip is all about personal preference (I don't care for it one bit...maybe if it had a better feel but it's just hard plastic), and the MBUS offer no better sight picture than the standard sights on the regular version.

I built my own AR and spared no expense. I have the exact Mapgul stock found on the MOE 15-22 and MBUS on my AR, so it's nothing against Magpul. I love their products. I just see no real advantage to spending the extra money on the MOE version. Maybe if there were weight savings or the grip was substantially better, the price tag would become justified. The only real nod I can give the MOE version is the single-point snap-in on the lower.

Anyone wish they would have saved the money on the MOE version and just bought a set of MBUS for $40? Or, conversely, wish they would have spent the extra money for the MOE instead of the standard? I can purchase the standard version for $366 shipped with the threaded barrel.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off? MOE 15-22 a Rip-Off?  
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts

I bought the MOE version and had buyers remorse for a bit. But then I went online and priced all the Magpul stuff individually, and I more than made out. I like the Magpul gear, but if I ever changed my mind I could sell the stuff and actually make some money towards something else.

That being said, when I bought mine, it was about an $80 between the cheapest MOE price and the cheapest standard 15-22 price. YMMV
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

I recently purchased a MOE version. I made an informed choice.

True, the buttstock does wobble a bit and sometimes that wobble makes some noise. This does not bother me in the least. The relatively thin rubber pad on the buttstock does provide a better purchase on my shoulder, and I like that a lot. It does not really provide any recoil absorbing assistance, but this is a .22 so that is a complete non-issue for me.

The pistol grip is a perfect fit for my hands. I have tried the rubberized grips from MagPul and a variety of other manufacturers, the MOE works very well for me.

The MBUS sights flip up when needed and stay flat when not. The other sights used on the standard version stay up all the time. A red dot on a riser with a lower third co-witness would be fine with sights that stay up, but it is even better with the sights folded down. The MBUS sights are also lighter.

The single point sling attachment is a nice touch, but there are alternatives for putting aftermarket attachment points on the "buffer tube" that provide a similar functionality.

For me the MOE made complete sense, and for the slight added price, provide me with considerable added comfort and features. It sounds like that for YOU the cost to benefit ratio falls on the other side of center. If you don't think the MOE is worth the price then just get the standard version and save your money.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM

I also share your views on the Magpul grip. It's ok, not any better in my opinion than the standard grip. But again, if I have to sell it, I'll make out ok.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm glad I spent the extra money on the MOE version. I like the flip up sights (mirrors my AR with Red Dot) and the other Magpul furniture. Also glad I have the QD sling mount. For me it was worth the money.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Not sure why you would even look for "weight savings" on a 15-22. If your AR-15 has Magpul furniture, then the MOE makes sense as it has the same feel, other than weight, as your AR and can make for a good trainer.

If you want all the Magpul goodies, then it is cheaper to buy the MOE version, usually.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

To me, one should only buy a MOE if they want better than standard... but not the best. The Magpul furniture offered on the MOE version is not their top of the line stuff. They have much better grips & stocks. If one wants really nice stuff on the 15-22, I always suggest buying the standard, threaded version, then upgrading with the better accessories.

That is what I did.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the extremely quick and insightful responses! I'm not looking for weight savings on the 15-22. I don't think it could possibly be any lighter. I guess weight saving was the only real justification I could see for the upgrade to the MOE stock. Otherwise, on a .22, it seems like the add-on is just for the "tacticool" effect.

I already have a spare set of MBUS in a box and waiting for a rail to be mounted to, so I personally have zero expense in adding those. Even if I didn't, I'm finding them for $40. I have a magnified optic on my AR, so the RDS I will be betting for my 15-22 doesn't have to match up. I prefer co-witnessing and will be using the MBUS for that purpose.

Let's do that math:
Standard Threaded barrel 15-22: $368 SHIPPED
Cheapest MOE 15-22 out there: $450 SHIPPED (I'm surprised at how the prices have dropped...maybe because of the ammo situation)

Add $40 for MBUS and we're at $408. Don't add them and we have an $82 difference. There's no arguing the extras are a better deal when purchased as a bundle already on the weapon, but are they really worth the extra money? Especially when you start to consider that for just $150 more than the MOE version, you can purchase a true AR. The value is dependant on the person, but I appreciate the responses.

I'm an all-out kind of guy. I spared no expense in building my AR and spent about $2,000 when it was all said and done. I usually prefer the top version of anything, but the margin closed greatly once handling the MOE. Your continued thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Decipher; 02-12-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Also, optics. If you're looking to put a red dot or scope on, the MBUS sights make a lot of sense. If you're never planning on going that route, the standard sights are probably a better option.

The MBUS sights are nice, but a bit of a pain to adjust as windage is on the rear sight and elevation is on the front sight. Plus, you have to have to have that special tool to adjust the elevation. Not too convenient.

I wouldn't want to use the MBUS sights full time.

Last edited by Kevin8503; 02-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts

I have the MOE, and while I do like it, I also will probably end up changing some/all of the pieces as time goes on.

My reasoning was that the 15-22 was my test to see if I liked the AR philosophy of design without spending twice the price on a 5.56 or 7.62 and I felt obligated to give it the fairest shot possible, thus getting the "best" off the shelf version made sense. I wanted the option to shoot stingers and the like, so I passed on the PC version.

If you already know ARs, I would say that the MOE is likely not for you, unless you have no intention of modding it.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
To me, one should only buy a MOE if they want better than standard... but not the best. The Magpul furniture offered on the MOE version is not their top of the line stuff. They have much better grips & stocks. If one wants really nice stuff on the 15-22, I always suggest buying the standard, threaded version, then upgrading with the better accessories.

That is what I did.
In fewer words, this is exactly what I was thinking and what I was truly inquiring about. It seems like you get middle-of-the-road "upgrades" which don't offer any real advantages. The ONLY thing I value on the MOE is that QD point for sling attachment. The rest could be better, or so it seems.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

I crunched numbers when I bought mine (and saved them because I'm a nerd like that). Here were the numbers I came up with (circa October 2013):

MOE Stock (on Amazon): $60
MBUS Rear Sight (on Amazon): $50
MBUS Front Sight (on Amazon): $40
MOE Grip (on Midway): $20
Total Value: $170

So even if I only sold them all for half of retail, I'd still more than break even. For me it was worth it.

In the end, I like the Magpul stuff. The only thing I really would consider changing is maybe the grip. I like the Magpul stuff so much that I just bought some of the XTM Enhanced Rail Covers too.

And I'd be lying if I said the Magpul name didn't have some influence. I'm (relatively) new to the rifle game, and Magpul is a trusted name in rifle accessories. There is so much junk out there; it's hard to wade through. At least with the Magpul swag, I knew I would be getting a solid product, and if I didn't like it I could turn around and sell it for a profit.

But every situation is different. In this case, I think it's pretty clear that the MOE version probably isn't the right choice for Decipher. That being said, I'm excited to see how he pimps out his 15-22!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8503 View Post
I crunched numbers when I bought mine (and saved them because I'm a nerd like that). Here were the numbers I came up with (circa October 2013):

MOE Stock (on Amazon): $60
MBUS Rear Sight (on Amazon): $50
MBUS Front Sight (on Amazon): $40
MOE Grip (on Midway): $20
Total Value: $170

So even if I only sold them all for half of retail, I'd still more than break even. For me it was worth it.

In the end, I like the Magpul stuff. The only thing I really would consider changing is maybe the grip. I like the Magpul stuff so much that I just bought some of the XTM Enhanced Rail Covers too.

And I'd be lying if I said the Magpul name didn't have some influence. I'm (relatively) new to the rifle game, and Magpul is a trusted name in rifle accessories. There is so much junk out there; it's hard to wade through. At least with the Magpul swag, I knew I would be getting a solid product, and if I didn't like it I could turn around and sell it for a profit.

But every situation is different. In this case, I think it's pretty clear that the MOE version probably isn't the right choice for Decipher. That being said, I'm excited to see how he pimps out his 15-22!
Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Thanks also for sharing your numbers. Everyone has been super helpful. I understand this could be a little like arguing which optic is better. It's all about the shooter and there isn't a right or wrong answer. If I was new to the game, the MOE version is impossible to beat for the accessories. You're getting them at only about 25% above cost, so it's a great deal. I, however, think the form is over the function in this case, but I don't fault anyone for taking the leap.

Magpul is extremely trusted in the AR game and you were right for having faith in them. Their P-Mag is the only mag I trust for my AR. I thought the Magpul brand and upgrades would mean more but, once I actually handled the rifle, I was very disappointed. It's not about the quality, but what you're getting and what it means on the 15-22. It would be kind of like adding a buffer tube to the 22. There is no need for it and no advantage, other than to say you have it. Know what I mean? Anyone else?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts

I was about to buy the standard 15-22 till he handed me the MOE. It felt and looked better to me, so I spent the extra $90+ for it. At the time, they were all very scarce around here. I haven't regretted it. The electrical tape fix for the stock has it solid as could be. I traded the MBUS front sight for the standard front because I liked its looks better. The stock also looks so much better than the standard one. I'm happy. Too often I've bought cheap and later regretted it. Not this time.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Thanks also for sharing your numbers. Everyone has been super helpful. I understand this could be a little like arguing which optic is better. It's all about the shooter and there isn't a right or wrong answer. If I was new to the game, the MOE version is impossible to beat for the accessories. You're getting them at only about 25% above cost, so it's a great deal. I, however, think the form is over the function in this case, but I don't fault anyone for taking the leap.

Magpul is extremely trusted in the AR game and you were right for having faith in them. Their P-Mag is the only mag I trust for my AR. I thought the Magpul brand and upgrades would mean more but, once I actually handled the rifle, I was very disappointed. It's not about the quality, but what you're getting and what it means on the 15-22. It would be kind of like adding a buffer tube to the 22. There is no need for it and no advantage, other than to say you have it. Know what I mean? Anyone else?

I think you hit the nail on the head in that at the end of the day it's a .22LR.

That being said Black Rifle Disease clouds judgement sometimes
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Harrym hit it. I always buy top tier so I don't regret it later. This is the ONE case that has me reconsidering. I certainly don't claim to be the end-all, be-all with rifles. I have, however, researched things to death and learned a lot building my own AR. So, without rambling in excess or beating a dead horse, my personal take is this for NEW 15-22 buyers:

If you like the looks of the MOE, get it. That's about all it's good for. At the price S&W wants for it, you're darn close to flirting with purchasing a true .223/5.56 AR. Allow that to guide your decision. It's not to say it isn't worth the price as it's far better quality than the Mossberg offering. if you have no plans to upgrade those features on the MOE, you're set.

If you want all of the functionality of the 15-22, including identical weight and a better grip (my opinion), don't be afraid to "settle" on the standard threaded barrel. You're really not missing out on a thing and MBUS can be found for cheap. That's the one thing I'd transfer to the standard version.

Upgrades come along the way no matter what, as Kevin stated. The BRD is vicious and there is no cure. That's what makes the AR platform so addictive and popular. You can do ANYTHING to your weapon and no two are alike.

Thanks again for all the thoughts. I encourage more discussion on the matter. I love hearing where people come from and by and large, it sounds like pretty much everyone got exactly what they wanted. No real regrets so far either way.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Liked 468 Times in 209 Posts

"Ripoff" is a loaded term, and implies that Smith & Wesson is intentionally trying to gouge their customers. This is not accurate.

The 811034 SKU is not a ripoff. It is an option that Smith & Wesson offers to those who want to save some money on Magpul accessories they would have purchased anyway for their rifle.
If this SKU were not available, then to replicate it you'd need to buy the 811033 SKU and then add:
Magpul MBUS Rear sight - $55.00
Magpul MBUS Front sight - $38.00
Magpul MOE stock - $57.00
Magpul MOE pistol grip - $21.00

This is a total of $171.00 in additional parts.
The MSRP price difference between the 811034 and 811033 SKUs is $90.00, saving you $81.00. This is a great deal and you should absolutely purchase the 811034 SKU...

...only if you want the Magpul MOE gear.

If you don't, then it would be silly to buy that SKU. Fortunately, Smith & Wesson offers other SKUs to meet your needs.

Personally, I like the feel of the MOE grip better than the A2 grip. I also like the stock better than the standard M4 stock. The MBUS I ended up moving to my BCM 5.56, so that saved me money there too.

It's not a "ripoff".

Last edited by CrazyFingers; 02-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Especially when you start to consider that for just $150 more than the MOE version, you can purchase a true AR. The value is dependant on the person, but I appreciate the responses.
I think most purchase a 15-22 for other reasons than it is cheaper than an AR. The value I get from my 15-22, as opposed to my AR follows.

1) Ammo is much cheaper. My preferred ammo for my AR costs me .75. For the 15-22, I can get it for around .10.

2) My 15-22 is suppressed & is so quiet that I can shoot on my own property without disturbing the horses & dogs. This is a huge factor in allowing me to shoot a bunch... as opposed to loading up & shooting elsewhere. Only way to shoot an AR that quiet would be to go the route of .300 Blackout subsonic with suppressor, however that ammo is expensive & very hard to get.

For all the additions I have for my 15-22, I could easily have purchased another AR, however that would have gained me nothing... except for having another AR. The 15-22 gives me so much more... especially if your gun is used a lot & not a closet queen.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM

I wasn't implying it was a "rip-off" as in an intentional gouging of the price. Your interpretation of that is just as loaded as the term itself. I do feel, however, that it's a bit of a rip-off in the sense that there is no clear advantage to the items over the original form. Is it a good deal? Oh yeah! I've already acknowledged that, repeatedly. But, for the new buyer who doesn't know any better, they are buying "upgrades" that really aren't upgrades on this platform at all. Therefore, the accessories are a "rip-off" to those who think they're getting a performance advantage over the original offering. In that case, it doesn't matter if it's 25% of the original cost or not. It's smart marketing and Magpul is selling items for a weapon they may not have otherwise sold to the 22 platform. In a way, it's a bit like preying on the uninformed or those who are new to the platform and don't know any better. That's not to say all buyers fall into this category, but I am willing to bet a lot of buyers are new to ARs all together and therefore buy into the MOE "performance" allure.

If it's for looks, as stated, then there's no rip-off at all. It's one heck of a deal!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
"Ripoff" is a loaded term, and implies that Smith & Wesson is intentionally trying to gouge their customers. This far from accurate.

The 811034 SKU is not a ripoff. It is an option that Smith & Wesson offers to those who want to save some money on Magpul accessories they would have purchased anyway for their rifle.
If this SKU were not available, then to replicate it you'd need to buy the 811033 SKU and then add:
Magpul MBUS Rear sight - $55.00
Magpul MBUS Front sight - $38.00
Magpul MOE stock - $57.00
Magpul MOE pistol grip - $21.00

This is a total of $171.00 in additional parts.
The MSRP price difference between the 811034 and 811033 SKUs is $90.00, saving you $81.00. This is a great deal and you should absolutely purchase the 811034 SKU...

...only if you want the Magpul MOE gear.

If you don't, then it would be silly to buy that SKU. Fortunately, Smith & Wesson offers other SKUs to meet your needs.

Personally, I like the feel of the MOE grip better than the A2 grip. I also like the stock better than the standard M4 stock. The MBUS I ended up moving to my BCM 5.56, so that saved me money there too.

It's not a "ripoff".
I 100% agree... not a ripoff. I went the route of buying the base 15-22 and purchased all of the Magpul furniture for it and it definitely cost me.

In my case it was not wanting to wait for the MOE version to come in. I went a little further though, getting the Magpul ambi-safety, the KNS anti-walk pins, The MI Clamp-on SPS attachment, Magpul extended stock pad, Plinker Tactical Charging Handle, Tacticool22 handguard adaptor, 11.8" handguard, Blah blah blah...

Get as much as you can on the initial purchase for a cheap as you can. There's no cure for BRD... but watch out!! The government IS currently working on a vaccine!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
I think most purchase a 15-22 for other reasons than it is cheaper than an AR. The value I get from my 15-22, as opposed to my AR follows.

1) Ammo is much cheaper. My preferred ammo for my AR costs me .75. For the 15-22, I can get it for around .10.

2) My 15-22 is suppressed & is so quiet that I can shoot on my own property without disturbing the horses & dogs. This is a huge factor in allowing me to shoot a bunch... as opposed to loading up & shooting elsewhere. Only way to shoot an AR that quiet would be to go the route of .300 Blackout subsonic with suppressor, however that ammo is expensive & very hard to get.

For all the additions I have for my 15-22, I could easily have purchased another AR, however that would have gained me nothing... except for having another AR. The 15-22 gives me so much more... especially if your gun is used a lot & not a closet queen.
That's much of the same reason I'm now getting a 22. My ammo runs a little cheaper, but at approximately 50 cents a round, the wallet starts to feel it. There's no doubt that shooters fall into different categories for different reasons. Like I stated before, there really is no right or wrong response here. To each their own.

And, for the record...the MOE version does look dirty!

Last edited by Decipher; 02-12-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned
Liked 131 Times in 77 Posts

I bought mine because my ARs were built with MOE lower build kits and sets of MBUS. I wanted the 15-22 to be as close as I could, which is why the buffer tube is full of pennies and nickels and the grip has some lead shot in a baggie.

I don't like fixed front sights, which is another reason I bought the MOE. My 15-22 has the same Vortex SPARC as my ARs.

No regrets.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM

That's a pretty smart way to add some weight. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts

I think I paid about $50 more ($550+tax) for the FDE MOE than a regular 15-22 locally last spring/early summer (flash hider/25 round). Made sense to me at the time. Don't forget that you also get 3 rail covers (at least on the FDE) and the single point sling attachment point built into the lower.

Also, if somebody has link to a reliable source to get genuine MBUS for $40 a set I'm ready to order a set for my AR-15!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Liked 468 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
But, for the new buyer who doesn't know any better, they are buying "upgrades" that really aren't upgrades on this platform at all. Therefore, the accessories are a "rip-off" to those who think they're getting a performance advantage over the original offering.
Actually, there are several specific advantages to the MOE gear that are, in fact, genuine upgrades to the base rifle. Whether those upgrades are worth it to you is your decision and requires the buyer to do his homework. Someone who purchases a firearm without understanding exactly what they're getting and why gets no sympathy from me.

The MOE grip does not have the A2 finger bump, which some people (myself included) cannot stand. It has texturing on the grip which can improve weapon control. Most importantly, it has integrated storage in the grip which the standard A2 grip does not have.

The MOE buttstock shields the release lever to reduce the chance of unintended activation and snagging, has several additional sling slots, and does include a rubber butt pad.

The Magpul MBUS are flip up sights which can be stowed when not needed. This provides a cleaner sight picture for unmagnified optics, which is relevant to some users.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM

Great responses. It's much appreciated! I didn't realize the FDE gets the rail covers. I don't think the black one does, but that gives it a bump in my mind.

Charles, it appears the set I saw earlier are the airsoft version. I have a friend who got duped into buying these thinking they were for the AR. Truth be told, they are insanely comparable to my genuine AR MBUS and I would personally have no issue running them on my 15-22. The only way to truly tell the difference is mine use a flat-head screw, and his use a torx screw. They are stout and still very well constructed. Unless you're running them on an AR where the gas tube gets super heated, in turn transferring to the rail, the non-AR MBUS will perform just fine. To the untrained eye, they pass as the standard MBUS. You can find them on Amazon for $20.

Last edited by Decipher; 02-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Liked 245 Times in 154 Posts

I'm on the side of the 15-22 MOE is not for me. I like magpul accessories, but not particularly the ones the MOE comes with. I much, much prefer the MOE+ grip to the MOE grip. I prefer the CTR stock to the MOE stock as well.

If the MOE stuff it comes with are what you would put on anyway, or you are the type that isn't going to buy any aftermarket parts, the the MOE version is a good buy. Otherwise, it seems a better route to buy a standard version with threaded barrel and put the parts YOU want on it.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,129 Posts

When I bought mine there wasn't a great price difference. That didn't matter to me as my AR's are Moe versions, and I wanted one to match as close as I could get. Only thing for me would have been it having a MOE handguard, which I can add when I get around to it. Am I sorry I paid the extra no. Would I do it again, as soon as I talk myself into buying another I will. For some the MOE also has a QD attachment on the receiver, which you can also add if you want to drill the receiver, which they like. If you decide to sell the MOE parts and replace with cheaper or what every you want, you will get your money back for genuine MOE parts. Black MOE doesn't come with the rail covers.

Everyone has an opinion I keep mine to myself and let others make their own decision unless asked. Sell your parts your not happy with and get some money back and enjoy the rifle for what it is. Worst thing a person can have is buyers remorse, didn't you notice these items before you bought.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

I could have saved myself a lot of money if had purchased an MOE. Instead, I purchased the parts individually. Cost a lot more that way but I purchased mine a week or so after Sandy Hook during the height of the AR ban panic. Would I do it over again? Yep.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I wouldn't say the MOE is a rip-off, but the base threaded version is such a good deal.

I've never seen the prices go so low. I got my 15-22 when I first started shooting in 2012 for 425 shipped. This was about low to average back then, it's amazing seeing it so cheap now. Maybe they can't drop the MOE version per their Magpul contract or something.

I would get the base threaded version, and add whatever parts wanted.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM

^I think that's where I'm at. The MOE is great if those parts are all you want. I don't know why, but I'd feel better about the FDE version if I got the handguards too. I guess they set it over the edge for me, crazy as it sounds. At only an $80 price difference, it's not bad but if those parts are irrelevant, that $80 will just about cover a nice quality red dot scope. Just sayin...

Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Heh, would you really be interested in the 15-22 being any lighter than they already are? Funny, because I liked the lightness of mine, but then I installed an 8-inch barrel shroud and a heavy light, which made the gun front heavy. So I rebalanced it by adding weight to the hollow buffer tube. Now the gun is significantly heavier than stock, and I actually prefer it this way. The heft makes it feel more substantial, and I assume better for training alongside an AR-15.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWA View Post
Also, if somebody has link to a reliable source to get genuine MBUS for $40 a set I'm ready to order a set for my AR-15!
Agreed! I'm in for several sets of MBUS at $40 a set. If they're REAL of course. I thought the same thing after reading the OP.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Banned
Liked 131 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
That's a pretty smart way to add some weight. Thanks for sharing!
For me, it was a case of wanting to add a little weight for cheap. I don't fish, so I don't have piles of old lead weights laying around. Looked at local Bass Pro & Walmart for fishing weights, and it was ~$10 to get a big pack. Read of people using steel rod, but that was something else I'd have to buy. Had an ah-ha moment and wondered if coins would fit. Dimes are too light and rattle to much. A penny will drop all the way in and sit flush. I piled pennies in until the diameter was big enough for a nickel to sit flush (tube ID is not equal all the way...it continuously narrows from the back to the front). Continued with nickels until I got closed enough to the end I could press a cork in tight enough that they don't rattle. The MOE stock makes more noise than the coins do. Probably less than $1 in coins.

Of course, it's all going to waste when my F1 is approved and the barrel gets cut down to 4.5".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWA View Post
Not $40...but I've bought about 10 sets in the last year and never paid more than $75. Deals are out there.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 AM
Liked 258 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Charles, it appears the set I saw earlier are the airsoft version. I have a friend who got duped into buying these thinking they were for the AR. Truth be told, they are insanely comparable to my genuine AR MBUS and I would personally have no issue running them on my 15-22. The only way to truly tell the difference is mine use a flat-head screw, and his use a torx screw. They are stout and still very well constructed. Unless you're running them on an AR where the gas tube gets super heated, in turn transferring to the rail, the non-AR MBUS will perform just fine. To the untrained eye, they pass as the standard MBUS. You can find them on Amazon for $20.
I bought a set of the PTS for my 15-22 - while they look similar, the didn't function that well for me. They would not lay flat on the rail when folded down, which annoyed me enough to send them back. I just upgraded my standard mbus to pro's on the OR, so I am going to move the standard mbus over to the 22. Overkill, sure, but they lie flat .

Interestingly, the PTS's I bought used phillips, not torx. I know there has been some discussion about fake Magpul items on Amazon, as people expected strait screw heads (ie the standard model) and got torx, which was the tipoff that they were fake/PTS, I guess. Or maybe the phillips are fake, who knows. Magpul doesn't even make the PTS line anymore so I'd be leery of any PTS branded items now anyway.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:01 AM
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
For me, it was a case of wanting to add a little weight for cheap. I don't fish, so I don't have piles of old lead weights laying around. Looked at local Bass Pro & Walmart for fishing weights, and it was ~$10 to get a big pack. Read of people using steel rod, but that was something else I'd have to buy. Had an ah-ha moment and wondered if coins would fit. Dimes are too light and rattle to much. A penny will drop all the way in and sit flush. I piled pennies in until the diameter was big enough for a nickel to sit flush (tube ID is not equal all the way...it continuously narrows from the back to the front). Continued with nickels until I got closed enough to the end I could press a cork in tight enough that they don't rattle. The MOE stock makes more noise than the coins do. Probably less than $1 in coins.

Of course, it's all going to waste when my F1 is approved and the barrel gets cut down to 4.5".

Not $40...but I've bought about 10 sets in the last year and never paid more than $75. Deals are out there.
HA! I used a tube of rolled up nickels with some stuffing in front and behind it to add weight in the buffer tube to compensate for a heavy barrel shroud and light up front. Worked perfect. Nickels were just the right size and now I can say that I put some real money into my gun
Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 AM
Liked 245 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
I bought a set of the PTS for my 15-22 - while they look similar, the didn't function that well for me. They would not lay flat on the rail when folded down, which annoyed me enough to send them back. I just upgraded my standard mbus to pro's on the OR, so I am going to move the standard mbus over to the 22. Overkill, sure, but they lie flat .

Interestingly, the PTS's I bought used phillips, not torx. I know there has been some discussion about fake Magpul items on Amazon, as people expected strait screw heads (ie the standard model) and got torx, which was the tipoff that they were fake/PTS, I guess. Or maybe the phillips are fake, who knows. Magpul doesn't even make the PTS line anymore so I'd be leery of any PTS branded items now anyway.
Yeah, I hada bad experience trying to get PTS items for my 15-22 recently as well. The ones I got for ~$20 were decidedly fake. PTS is supposed to be near the quality of magpul USA, but what I got was so soft the sights crushed when tightening the mount screw (under normal torque).
While I really wanted a light weight cheap set of polymer folding sights, couldn't find any worth having (and not wanting to pay the asking price for magpul MBUS for my .22lr) and settled on some knock off YHM folding sights, metal. The rear one doesn't quite sit flush when folded, but it's close and the front sight is perfect.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post

Interesting. I had my friend send me pics and I can see that mine do sit slightly more flush than his, but it's marginal. The screw vs torx thing is interesting. Maybe they've gotten worse, but the quality was extremely comparable when we had them side by side. Like I said, I do see a difference in how flat they lay now, but it's close. Functionality wise, we have fired each other's rifles and didn't detect any difference. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Magpul is definitely a respected brand in the AR community. But not the best, which would cost you way more. While the Pmag is pretty much the standard it does have its drawbacks which is the main reason most 3-gunners have switched from the Pmag to the Lancer L5 Warfighter mags. Magpul tells you that little cap is a dust cover when in reality it is designed to keep the mag lips at the top from spreading out when you leave magazines loaded all the time. Try leaving it off for a couple of weeks and see that your mags will jam in the AR and be hard to get out. the Lancers have metal lips at the top so they don't need that plus they are available fully transparent so you can see how many rounds are in them, not just a window that some of the Pmag models have. I never had an issue with my Pmags when I used them for 3-gun but I meticulously made sure the caps were on when they were loaded. I switched to the Lancer Warfighters last year, except for my 48 rd extended Pmag which I kept. I also have a couple of the new 40 rd Pmags just to try out.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinney47 View Post
Yeah, I hada bad experience trying to get PTS items for my 15-22 recently as well. The ones I got for ~$20 were decidedly fake. PTS is supposed to be near the quality of magpul USA, but what I got was so soft the sights crushed when tightening the mount screw (under normal torque).
Just remember you have Magpul, Magpul PTS, and Chinese fakes

From James CHU at Magpul PTS.

Thanks for contacting tech support.

PTS products will normally carry the PTS logo or PTS markings directly on the product. It is uncommon for counterfeit items to carry the PTS logo directly on the product, also counterfeit items will be made from an inferior quality material to PTS, their form will not match genuine PTS products, and you can also expect to see production marks such as excessive flash etc amongst other details.

Please contact Magpul for counterfeit identification of Magpul products.

Thanks,

James
Old 02-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts
Smile

On the original point, I must say I love the way you guys moan and whine about price difference. I purchased the MOE version in UK. I paid £750 sterling for it. £30 more than for standard. Not sure how that converts to Dollars US but am sure it's hell of a lot more than you guys are paying. As for the Magpul add ons. Butt stock in UK £70. Etc etc. So when I consider the "extras" included with MOE for me was a no brainer. As for other add ons. I can't even get Magpul here if it's not PTS due to import rules. I wish I had the choice and options you guys have but sadly I do not. The platform itself I think is fantastic for a 22. Only point I would like to add is that what you guys take as granted for us over this side the pond is an absolute nightmare with rules and regs. And as a result the ADDED cost attached in some cases is down right frightening. Love the system. Loathe the way that UK shooters constantly get ripped. That said. Keep turning bullets to brass.

£750 sterling works out to $1250 US when I looked at conversion. Mags are £35 each Magpul extras on MOE work out to £200 on prices found for UK Magpul supplier (not PTS parts).

Last edited by Rob1; 02-23-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: info update
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM

The hardest part for me to grasp is the fact that the extra bump in price for the MOE puts it so close to the .223 territory. I know the reason people choose 22 lr and they are the same reasons I'm looking right now. The problem for me is that, at the end of the day, this is JUST a 22 lr. As it is, the 15-22 is substantially more than the Mossberg contender. While no one can argue S&W is way nicer than the Mossberg, the price of the 715T is on par with what I would expect to pay for a 22. So, add the extra cost of the MOE version on top of an already expensive plinker, and you have a very expensive range toy.

Then, consider the fact that the MOE version is pure aesthetics as no one can truly argue a performance advantage over stock, and it becomes even harder to justify. I know people prefer the Magpul items. I sure do, but more so on my AR where the weight savings and upgrades actually DO have a bearing on performance. I am not passing judgement nor do I fault anyone for buying the MOE version. It is truly one heck of a deal, if aesthetic mean that much to you. I personally will save the extra money, use it towards an optic, and still shoot as good as you (or better with my optic).

Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM
US Veteran
Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
The hardest part for me to grasp is the fact that the extra bump in price for the MOE puts it so close to the .223 territory. I know the reason people choose 22 lr and they are the same reasons I'm looking right now. The problem for me is that, at the end of the day, this is JUST a 22 lr.
I get this... I really do. When my son turned 11, I bought the 15-22 for his birthday. It was difficult to lay down over $400 for that .22lr, when a perfectly good Ruger 10/22 is on the shelf right next to it for less than half the price!

But here was the deal for me... I already had a 10/22 at home, and the boy was not interested in it. When he opened up that 15-22 and saw that he had an "AR 15", he became excited about the idea of going to the range and shooting. We have since added a slightly used Magpul stock and Magpul BUS to his rifle, again all for looks. It lets him make it "his own", even though there are probably a million out there that look just like it.

Think of it like a custom car. It is added flair that makes it look fast, even when sitting still.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 PM

^ That's great and you have added valuable father-son time money can't buy. Way to go!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
I get this... I really do. When my son turned 11, I bought the 15-22 for his birthday. It was difficult to lay down over $400 for that .22lr, when a perfectly good Ruger 10/22 is on the shelf right next to it for less than half the price!

But here was the deal for me... I already had a 10/22 at home, and the boy was not interested in it. When he opened up that 15-22 and saw that he had an "AR 15", he became excited about the idea of going to the range and shooting. We have since added a slightly used Magpul stock and Magpul BUS to his rifle, again all for looks. It lets him make it "his own", even though there are probably a million out there that look just like it.

Think of it like a custom car. It is added flair that makes it look fast, even when sitting still.

I originally bought the 15-22 for myself to learn the platform and to eventually teach my boys (14, 10, 8). We all love it so much. I have moved to owning an MP15 MOE and have let my boys customize the 15-22. TRS-25, CMC Trigger, Zombje Hunter Mag Release and Charging Handle. They enjoy it, and now learning to clean it.

Bonding time is priceless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Liked 258 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a 15-22 and have been kicking around which model I want. After handling the MOE version yesterday, I realized the MOE version seems like a hard justification for the price tag... <snipped>
Maybe it's just me, but the Subject of this posts bugs me. Maybe "15-22 MOE cost justifiable?" or something like that.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM

The subject isn't for the faint of heart! :beer:

Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts

I bought both. A Moe for my son. Which I paid the same for as my sport but when he gets excited and blasts a few off he generally won't dump a mag but he is a kid it costs very little in comparison to when he does the same with my sport. Also bought the standard in muddy girl pink camo for the better half. She just doesn't care for the full size which I do t understand she will shoot her 20ga all day but whatever and I paid a premium for the pink paint also. Do I regret either purchase not one bit. We go out as a family and we shoot and have a lot of fun. Honestly they generally do most ofthe shooting but they are getting very good and safety levels have went way up iI'm so happy with the fun they are having I'd pay double what I did and leave my guns at the store.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased the Moe 15-22 a couple days ago. The price I paid was $419.99 plus tax and I am well pleased with the purchase. Can't wait till the weather warms up so I can sight her in and do some shooting. Am planning on putting a red dot on at a later date. Love the looks and feel of the 15-22.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Where did you find that price?!? That's by far the lowest price I've ever seen for the MOE.