Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck.  
Liked 91 Times in 27 Posts
Angry Fixed stocks suck.

Can't stand not being able to move my stock. would like to move it in just one click closer to get better eye relief on the scope. already drilled back side to push out pin but did not move yet. Is anybody really guna notice this. Can't wait to hear what other members have to say about this. Are the stock police surrounding my house as we speak. I can't stand this stupid compliant, NJ really sucks with their gun laws. Guess I should be lucky to own. Took 8 months to get id card.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 PM
US Veteran
Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck.  
Liked 12,771 Times in 5,690 Posts

You can't move the scope back any ??

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM

I have a nc star mark3 tac. scope all the way back on a 1 inch riser .can't move back any further no more slots in rail, I'm as close to charge handle as I can get. not a very long scope at rear.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck. Fixed stocks suck.  
Liked 1,270 Times in 693 Posts

The "stock" police prob do not know what is or is not legal, that is why they can arrest you and check later. I used to live in Elberon, nj, I moved, because my stock will shorten or lengthen, I do not need an ID card, I have a CCW, and I can walk out my back door shoot, hunt and my neighbors will not be calling me, or the police, though they may visit to check out a new toy. I moved because my stock would NOT be compliant with BS nj law. Be Safe,
Old 03-31-2014, 02:35 AM
Liked 245 Times in 154 Posts

The question you should be asking.... Is it worth it? If caught, your card will probably be revoked, and you won't be able to own any guns. You should abide the laws of the community you reside in. If they are intolerable, try to change them or move.

For your immediate problem: since the rifle can't be [legally] changed, the thing you can change is the scope. Find yourself a long eye relief scope, or in the least a scope with long enough eye relief it will work with your stock. Alternately, and I don't know the intended use you have for your gun or the distances you will be shooting, you could go with a red dot sight with infinite eye relief if iron sights simply won't do.

good luck, and I'm sorry your states gun laws suck.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 AM
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Can you not knock the pin out, adjust stock then drill new hole and pin to be compliant?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 AM
Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts

Show us a pic of your setup
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I was able to remove my pin and move the stock to the position i felt comfortable with then I reinstalled the pin. You must install the pin or jail time and $10,000.00 fine if caught in NJ! Just redrill a new hole in buffer tube and your good to go. I work with the NJ State Police and as long as the stock is pinned your okay.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
Liked 439 Times in 233 Posts

It's not worth not following the law. While the chances of you getting caught may be slim, there's still a chance, and all you'll do is hurt yourself, and the gun community if you get caught.

It's very easy to move the stock and re-pin it so I encourage you to do so.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

You couldn't just loosen the scope rings a little and slide the scope a little further back?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Liked 147 Times in 76 Posts

go to harbor freight and get a 120 Piece Roll Pin kit(120 Piece Roll Pin Storehouse). Its a small kit for $4.99 and come with many sizes. then come home, and drill a small hole where i marked it for you with red dots(image below). DONE [for added inconvenience, get yourself the pin-punch set: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...et-93424.html]

put your stock on the rifle. drill the hole right through and it will make a hole in both, the stock & buffer equally. then drive the pin through. you can use any of the lower elongated cut-outs on the butt-stock. i just randomly picked that spot for a red dot
Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
You couldn't just loosen the scope rings a little and slide the scope a little further back?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
yeah no scope rings on this scope.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Liked 4,105 Times in 1,168 Posts

'Sup ban state buddy. Thankfully the horrid new laws in CT allow me to add a collapsible stock to my evil rifle, but there's things that can be fun even fixed! Rock a shorter A1 stock and let your retro-ness flow

Old 03-31-2014, 06:00 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,384 Times in 537 Posts

Lovin' that duct-tape n' baling-wire shotty mod, sir!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Liked 4,105 Times in 1,168 Posts

How dare you, it's gorilla tape!

That makes it safe right?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

As I understand it these laws ban collapsible stocks, they do NOT ban adjusting the Length Of Pull to fit a shooter. So, you should be able to shorten your stock as long as the stock is fully fixed afterwards.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Many of us in CT have replaced the pin with the set screw. When the screw is in it is a fixed stock. CT Compliant Stock Removal?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
Many of us in CT have replaced the pin with the set screw. When the screw is in it is a fixed stock. CT Compliant Stock Removal?
I won a 15-22 in a raffle the other night. When I got home I noticed it had an adjustable stock but fixed with a roll pin.
Since an adjustable stock is legal where I live (Iowa), can I just pull the roll pin out and be good?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lheins View Post
I won a 15-22 in a raffle the other night. When I got home I noticed it had an adjustable stock but fixed with a roll pin.
Since an adjustable stock is legal where I live (Iowa), can I just pull the roll pin out and be good?

Thanks
Yep. Just pull it.

And to the original poster, pull the pin, move the stock, then drill a hole through the buffer tube in the new position and repin. Easy.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Liked 6,257 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: Op. Never had a problem w/ a fixed stock. However, of late I have gotten to where I bristle at the idea of self-assumptive pontificants telling me what I can/cannot do or what I may/may not have. So, when I bought a 15-22, I bought one w/ the adjustable stock and the flash hider. Thankfully I live in a state where this is perfectly legal. Once upon a time I lived under a regime which restricted the capacity of firearm magazines. It is not to much to say that I hated that restriction. It is not to much to say that I celebrated when that restriction was eliminated. But, while it was in force, I did not and would not fail to comply with that extremely onerous law. The consequences of being caught and convicted would have been horrific to myself and my family. You live in a state where the current regime has outlawed your possession/use of a adjustable stock on your 15-22. You have to decide if disobeying the current law of that regime is worth your gain in utility of your rifle and the cost to yourself and your family. JMHO... it just isn't worth it! Forget about it. Don't obsess over it. Swap scopes and move on. One day you may be able to move elsewhere, somewhere where other people's unfounded fears are not used as a weapon by elected officials to restrict the Constitutional rights of citizens. But, until you can move or until the law changes, comply with the law. The consequences simply are not in any way worth any supposed gain that might be realized.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

Take your rifle into a Free State and adjust the stock.
A special I.D. to buy firearms and ammo in some places???
I bet you have to pay sales tax too.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool22 View Post
such a great state, the gangsters and criminal get to in joy their guns more.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool22 View Post
That is the situation here in connecticut.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

And I thought the gun laws here (UK) were tight. we can have adjustable stocks, flash hiders, moderators (if on our license) but we are told how much ammo we can have at any one time. I can have 600x .22, 170x 357 (or 38) 170x 303 and 300x 12g slug. (because they're the other calibre rifles on my license) if I get caught with more that is classed as having un-licensed ammo and I could be looking at 5 years inside.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Liked 245 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco77w View Post
And I thought the gun laws here (UK) were tight. we can have adjustable stocks, flash hiders, moderators (if on our license) but we are told how much ammo we can have at any one time. I can have 600x .22, 170x 357 (or 38) 170x 303 and 300x 12g slug. (because they're the other calibre rifles on my license) if I get caught with more that is classed as having un-licensed ammo and I could be looking at 5 years inside.
I hope you realize it's not like that everywhere in the US. In Utah, for example, none of those silly restrictions apply. No limits on ammo. Don't need a license to own a gun. Flash hiders, adjustable stocks, etc are all fine. Here is something that will blow your mind

Utah Gun Exchange ? Guns. Gear. Community.

It's a website for regular people like me to buy, sell or trade firearms locally. I've met people in the parking lot of a wal-mart or a gas station to buy/sell/trade firearms/ammo/mags/whatever. As long as you are both from Utah and able to own a firearm (not insane or a criminal), it's legal No paperwork necessary, even. (if from out of state and buying a complete firearm can ship to FFL). One time when meeting up for a sale on an ad I had posted for a couple .22lr pistols I asked the fellow for I.D. and he was the xxxx County Sheriff, buying them for grand-kids. I think every state should have such a website. But alas, in some parts of the country you can't even have an adjustable stock

Last edited by Vinney47; 04-07-2014 at 02:37 AM.