Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight?  
Liked 258 Times in 171 Posts
Default Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight?

So, for converting the 15-22 to a Delta Nut config - using standard A2 handguards, font post sight, etc...

What screw is suggested to attache the front handguard cap to the sight? Allen screw? Self tapping screw? Any particular size? I figure several have already done this and know, instead of me carrying the barrel into my local hardware store .

The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight? Handguard conversion - securing front handguard cap to sight?  
Liked 145 Times in 88 Posts

Look at this thread starting with post 14. I used a 1/4-20 x 3/8" socket head cap screw when I did my conversion 3 years ago New handguard?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts

I dont remember the exact size I used, but what I did was find a brass screw that was about the same diameter as the gas port hole at lowes, then matched it to a tap from my tap and die set and then tapped the hole.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM

Thanks guys, heading to the hardware store tomorrow after work. I got it all together in mock up mode, just need the last screw to be done...

Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Liked 145 Times in 88 Posts

I didn't bother with a tap. If you have a Dremel, slot down the length of the screw with a cutoff wheel. If you have the tap, super.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

Just take the front sight into the store. Find a socket head cap screw that fits, like a 10-24 SHCS. It will pound into the gas tube hole with a little force.
You can tap the front sight if you want, then use some JB weld to keep it in place.
The head of the SHCS fits the 2 piece hand guards just right.
Be sure to put the hand guard end cap in place with the cup shape facing the corect way before you pound the screw in place.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:13 PM
US Veteran
Liked 116 Times in 68 Posts

78staff, you probably won't see this post before you head out to the hardware store, but I tapped the hole and then used an M5 -0.8 screw. Here is a shortened quote of my post a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound wave View Post
... have you read this thread? Carbine Conversion Finally Done!

tlm and others helped me a lot in that thread.

I used a 5mm - 0.8 tap and made threads up to the gas tube retaining pin hole or about 1" in the sight. I then used a M5-0.8 screw (about 1/2" long or more is all you really need.) just enough to secure the end cap to the gas block a2 sight.

so this is the front post already attached to the handguard cap.

The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
Thanks guys, heading to the hardware store tomorrow after work. I got it all together in mock up mode, just need the last screw to be done...

Finally got by the hardware store and picked up a few pieces. The 1/4 x 20 was just slightly too large, so used 10-24 instead which worked great. Thanks all for the help...