Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question!  
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Cool Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question!

Ok, so first I just wanna say I know there's a ton of crayola color fill posts, and I've just been trawling through them, but am still left wondering..

I just got a 15-22 and want to do the color fill, but I live in Cali, and almost exclusively shoot outside in the full summer sun with temps in the 90's regularly! I just wanted to ask if anyone has had issues with the wax melting out, or if anyone lives and shoots in similar conditions and hasn't had any issues!

My bro has a Mosin Nagant which we shoot, and after an hour or so of on and off shooting and laying in the sun, it's usually too hot to even pick up! (Obviously I understand it's a larger caliber..blahblahblah.. But even the synthetic stock on it heats up to where it's untouchable!).

I just wanted to check before I go all toddler crazy with a pack of crayons, and then get out to shoot only to have multi-colored wax dripping from my lower! I don't want to try paint because of some of the mentioned clouding, and with it being more difficult to remove!

Also a side note, I just got a Hoppes cleaning kit, and was wondering if the Hoppes no.9 solvent is polymer safe? I found one thread about it and one person said it 'should' be safe.. Just wanted to double check!

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by ditrina; 06-30-2014 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question! Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question!  
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

I ummed and ahhhhed about colour fill for a while before doing mine. Then opted for humbrol model paint and small brush. Wiped off excess with brush cleaner. Came good. No smears or weakening. And didn't have to use nail polish remover either. (Didn't like that idea).
Old 06-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

I used a product called "Lacquer Stik". It is made as an engraving fill in product, and specifically mentions guns as a product it is designed to be used on. During the application process the manufacturer suggests that you use Mineral Oil. Mineral Oil is a food grade product used as a laxative, and extremely mild solvent. This is not "Mineral Spirits", an extremely different product.

Application was easy and once it has a chance to set it seems permanent. The heat you describe should be no problem. It works well on a surface that is smooth, and less well on a surface that has a "matte" or very slightly rough texture. It tends to get in the tiny imperfections on these rougher surfaces, and the method to remove the unwanted material also tends to remove the wanted color fill.

I used a combination of White and Red. In the logo the "M" and "P" are white, the "&" and "15-22" are red. It is available from Brownells, and probably other online sources.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Liked 78 Times in 45 Posts

Yup, I used Crayola's finest, and it has stayed looking great (IMO) for well over 2 years, without any touch ups! I think I watched a video, or something, and just went for it. As far as Hoppe's, I haven't used it on my 15-22. I use CLP by Breakfree, and it seems to keep functioning fine.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Liked 92 Times in 57 Posts

The crayon will start to get soft at 105 deg F
Melting point is 120 to 140 deg F

Mine has been in place for years. Hot cars, outside shooting ect. Still there and easy to remove if needed.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

I finally did it today...tacticrayola. The Mrs was wondering why I was rooting around my 18 month olds toy box for so long. Then the obligatory frowning hahaha.
Only did the S&W logos on the lower and mags. White on the lower, white on one of the 25rd mags, silver on another 25rd and orange on my 10rd mag. Not going to reach anything like Cali temps here in the UK but it looks great and knowing its not permanent and will only take minimal work to take it back to black, is nice to know. Just do it, it looks great. All I did was crayon and rub off the excess with kitchen roll. Keep a pin handy in case any wax goes astray. Simple and very very effective
Old 06-30-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it, and I guess if it starts to melt, at least I can remove it! To the toddlers toy box!!

Strange to hear of so many 15-22 owners in the UK! I'm English too and have lived out in Cali for 5 years. I never realized that you could own things like that back home. Want really sucks is that I'm restricted in Cali to 10rd mags and you guys aren't!? What's up with that?! Hahaha. Anywho.. Off to my coloring! Thanks again guys!
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Ok I did it! Here are the results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.6 KB, 197 views)
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Sorry! don't know how to post multiple pics in one reply!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.9 KB, 150 views)
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Liked 439 Times in 233 Posts

Congrats, it came out great! What did you use to clean off the excess?
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM

Thanks, it was suuuuuper easy! I used Hoppes no.9 solvent, and it wiped right off no trouble! I did test a small area with the solvent first just to make sure it was safe.. It totally was! I started out using crayola, but they seemed to firm and wouldn't get in the grooves enough, so I resorted to some disney fairy princess crayons and they worked beautifully! Haha!

Then just rubbed it in to all the grooves, wiped off the excess with no.9 and a rag, and then just lightly heated it with a hair dryer until the wax looked shiny and let it dry! I must say though.. Not sure how it'll do in the heat.. It's 101 outside right now! I'll definitely come back and post results after I take it out next.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Oh, I also used a plastic bristled gun cleaning brush to get it out of the grooves I didn't want it in! I can see how easy it would be to remove and redo it too! Great fun, I recommend it to anyone who has one!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 PM

One more drool fodder..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (121.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Looks great! Here is my effort...

Tacticrayola Summer Sun Question!-image-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.2 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by dos0711; 07-09-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:15 PM

Ok so a little update. I took it out yesterday and shot about 150 rounds. It was full sun, 90plus degrees outside, and so far the crayon is holding up! Some minor scuffs of the mag logo, which I expected as the gaps are bigger and it's constantly being maneuvered (still only have one 10rd long mag )

All in all, a great day and nice test of the crayola! I'm thinking had I been out all day long I may have had more issues, but again.. If it melts or chips.. I can just redo it!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts

Did it to mine, and ran the lower under scalding hot water (just to test it) with no melting issues at all. I used a white "Roseart" crayon (seen them on Amazon) but I can't speak for the melting point of different brands. I kept mine all white as I wanted something a little more factory looking. It turned out perfectly. I wiped mine with mineral spirits. That works very well and is not greasy. When I was done I hit it with the hair dryer to settle it in. I believe that makes a really big difference in the durability. I wouldn't use a heat gun however, since you could overheat the polymer and warp it.

Last edited by johncal; 07-13-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Yea I used the hair dryer method too! Love your rifle by the way! Just came across it in the picture thread. Love what you've done with the stock! I'm seriously considering drilling some holes out of mine too! I'm not a fan of the look of standard stock, and am considering a saddle for it just to make it look different, so maybe after I get one and install it, I'll see where that hangs and drill out from there. Those holes make it look like a totally different stock, love it.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Get one of these:

They don't leave any burrs, drill perfectly round and you don't need a drill press to do a good job.

I used 13/16" - 9/16" - 3/8" holes.

I originally was just going to drill the large hole as I hang the m&p in my Bedroom closet where it's there's if I were to need it quickly. (I keep a 10 rd mag with Stingers close but not visible) but once I drilled the hole I decided to drill more just to make it look better. It's a real cheap way to get a better look.

BTW, Always best to keep the gun unloaded in case someone were to beat you to it.

As far as the saddle goes, I don't personally use one because I have a low profile sight and magnifier. If I put a saddle on mine I wouldn't be able to get my eye lined up right. I like the low optics profile I have because there's less compensation (parallax error) for different distances. if I had a taller sight then it would make more sense just to get my face lined up correctly. I guess it all depends on how high your optics are mounted.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by johncal; 07-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks man! Some awesome advice there.

I've got all kinds of drill bits, plus a dremel to finish the job if I need to, but I'll definitely look out for 'one of those'!

Sounds like you have a sweet spot for your rifle and mags. As far as mine, I have a 3 yo daughter, as well as 10 and 14 yo step kids, plus I watch my nephews (4 & 5) from time to time, so leaving a loaded mag anywhere other than under lock and key is out of the question. Just to be extra safe my ammo is locked up, and my rifle is also locked up! Can't wait for when the little ones are old enough, and responsible enough that I can not worry about that kinda stuff though! Can't come too soon!

I live in a nice area too so never much fear of needing a rifle in a hurry, but I definitely would like to have that option at some time in the future!

As far as the saddle goes, I'm mostly after it for looks, however I am having to mount my scope higher so I can set it further back on the rifle without it interfering with operation of the charging handle, so it will probably turn out to be pretty handy! As it is my rifle is still mostly stock other than scope and crayola. But I have only had it for a few weeks, and the local gun shows aren't until the end of the year so it's still in progress!

Anyway I could trouble you for a closer picture of the stock to see the holes better? I love how simple that is to do, and yet I've not seen another like it in all of my vast image searching! Haha

Also, why did you add the butt pad? For looks or just for shoulder comfort? Certainly isn't for recoil I'm assuming, unless you're built like a pixie?! Hahaha. My BB gun actually has more recoil than my 15-22!

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Here's the pic:

The reason I got the Butt Pad was that the original stock felt too hard and slippery for my liking. Although this Butt pad is a hard rubber, it still feel a lot better on the shoulder especially if you're just wearing a tee shirt. It also grips to the fabric a lot better. I also do like that it makes the stock look better and it's a little more custom.

It was very inexpensive, first rate quality, and fits absolutely perfectly. Link below:

Amazon.com : Tapco Intrafuse T6 Rubber Butt Pad : Gun Stock Accessories : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wJun0woQL.@@AMEPARAM@@31wJun0woQL

BTW, If your Stock feels a little loose and jiggly, you can cut a nice piece of black electrical tape about 3-4" long and put one piece neatly along the top of the tube. If you do it right, you won't even know it's there but it will take the loose ****** feeling out of it and it will still move fine.

Last edited by johncal; 07-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM

I've heard about padding the buffer tube to make the stock tighter, and I'll look into that once I've had the rifle for a bit. Still getting the feel for it and breaking it in, so we'll see where I go with it!

Thanks for the pic btw! Awesome mod.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

If you really want to improve the stock, replace the OEM butt stock with a MagPul CTR stock and MagPul's 0.70 butt plate.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 PM

On the topic of stocks, I wasn't gonna change the stock (just add the saddle as I said), but I have just changed my mind! I recently saw the brand spanking new hogue stock.. And fell in love!

Look at this picture and tell me it's not a thing of beauty! Slightly cheaper than the magpul one from what I can see too.. Plus an extra sling point from what I can tell.. Not that that sold me.. Pure looks! Hahaha Also made me reconsider keeping my gun accessories all black because damn does that stock look good in OD!

So now, my rifle shall be black with OD highlights!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.7 KB, 49 views)