Smith & Wesson Forum

Smith & Wesson Forum (https://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php)
-   Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (https://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/)
-   -   New grip recommendations (https://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/386174-new-grip-recommendations.html)

GhostMutt 07-19-2014 05:55 PM

New grip recommendations

Hey there,

Just a quick one for advice on replacement grip. The stock grip is a little too narrow and I would like a few recommendations regarding new grips that are a little wider and more ergonomically friendly. What do you guys prefer?

AR-Getsome 07-19-2014 06:37 PM

Magpul. Of course...everyone has their favorite. Magpul....I put hat $H&t on everything. (humor from a commercial) Hope y'all get that one :)

GhostMutt 07-19-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR-Getsome (Post 138010119)
Magpul. Of course...everyone has their favorite. Magpul....I put hat $H&t on everything. (humor from a commercial) Hope y'all get that one :)

Oh yeah.....I like it a lot.
Genuine Magpul PTS MOE Pistol Grip GBB Version ACU | eBay

AR-Getsome 07-19-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138010148)

WOW! High dollar for that. Nice color. I don't think the PTS fits the 15-22 or real AR platform. I think the PTS is made for airsoft guns. I could be wrong, but looking at the photo to the link there is a brass screw on the bottom.

GhostMutt 07-19-2014 07:06 PM

Haha ARgetsome,
The UK...high dollar for everything gun related...naughty naughty gun owners must be made to pay for their fun... :(

Shame that wont fit, I really like the digital camo effect, but although I like the FDE and ACU, I still think the rifle looks better all black, maybe some magpul rail covers will change my mind :)

Hereford 07-19-2014 07:27 PM

Hey GM - try this one?

http://www.lannertactical.com/tactic...-in-Black.html

Might have to wait but drop them a line (quickest way to get in touch)

AR-Getsome 07-19-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138010185)
Haha ARgetsome,
The UK...high dollar for everything gun related...naughty naughty gun owners must be made to pay for their fun... :(

Shame that wont fit, I really like the digital camo effect, but although I like the FDE and ACU, I still think the rifle looks better all black, maybe some magpul rail covers will change my mind :)

I'm not 100% sure it wont fit. I do not use PTS products. Maybe someone here can help out on the PTS fitting or not. My rifle has Magpul Foilage, I also changed my MOE 15-22 FDE to Foilage to match.

Jeffro57 07-19-2014 07:47 PM

I like my Hogue. YMMV

JJEH 07-19-2014 07:59 PM

I like Ergo Suregrip

Brett248Vista 07-20-2014 02:15 AM

Hogue's on everything I own.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...9/IMG_1631.jpg

Rob1 07-20-2014 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I changed the MOE grip in FDE from Magpul to this one, contoured and moulded. Its the ATI Scorpion. VERY comfortable.

trebor127 07-20-2014 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1 (Post 138010886)
I changed the MOE grip in FDE from Magpul to this one, contoured and moulded. Its the ATI Scorpion. VERY comfortable.

Rob :) is there any gap between the grip and backstrap and how is the desert tan colour against magpul's FDE

keith

GhostMutt 07-20-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1 (Post 138010886)

That does look very comfy, is it a bit wider than the stock grip, I find I have to contort my wrist a little to get my pad and not the joint on the trigger face, so I'm look for one a little wider, not much just a little. I presume it comes in all black and where if anywhere in the UK can I source this?

like the finger contours as well
:)

Rob1 07-20-2014 07:21 AM

Hi Guys,
To answer the questions, MidwayUK was £32 plus shipping and tax and everything else. Came in at £52. I know that is a bit pricey but it is designed for shock absorbing from full size AR not the subtle rock of a 15-22.
Colour match is near on exact as you could get from a none Magpul product.

It is a bit wider than a Magpul grip and a slightly different angle down as well. It comes in Black and has virtually no space between the fitting point and the back strap.

The only problem I found was that you need to product search Midway USA then paste the item name in to MidwayUK otherwise it doesn't show up in the UK search results.

Oh and it takes a real long time to arrive!!!!! :D

Hope this helps answer the questions raised.

Rob

GhostMutt 07-20-2014 07:22 AM

To all UK 15-22 owners :)

Hi guys,

Just found this website, looks like they are new but I like the sound of everything here, quad rail freedom, barrel cut (what is the legal shortest length?), shrouds, triggers, polishing and replacements, any of you guy heard of them and their reputation? maybe these guys can source stuff from across the pond :)

Smith & Wesson ?? ACP Shooting

micocyco 07-20-2014 07:53 AM

Still waiting to run across an old bike inner tube, just cut to fit & slip it on. held a small pistol with it & it seemed to work good.
: -)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

dtjacob 07-20-2014 09:26 AM

Hogue on my M&P 15-22 and my AR 15............

SimpleWeaponSolutions 07-20-2014 09:53 AM

Take a look at this article. It is a couple of years old but still has a lot of the popular grips listed.

21 AR Grips compared | Military Times GearScout

I was using the UCWRG Grip 23 until BCM came out with the Mod 2, which I like a lot.

SimpleWeaponSolutions 07-20-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micocyco (Post 138010971)
Still waiting to run across an old bike inner tube, just cut to fit & slip it on. held a small pistol with it & it seemed to work good.
: -)

Walmart sells innertubes for only a couple of bucks. I wrap all of my grips rifle/pistol with tennis racket grip tape or use rubber Talon Grips.

TheMaineEvent 07-20-2014 10:58 AM

Magpul grips are the one item they sell that I don't care for. They don't fit my hand well and aren't all that comfortable. I've found the ATI Scorpion grip not only looks better, but it's a LOT more comfortable than Magpul.

Smithpride 07-20-2014 11:03 AM

I run an ergo by falcon industries on my regular big boy AR. The 15-22 is the moe, but I like it just fine.

tomcatt51 07-20-2014 11:29 AM

Another vote for the more vertical Bravo Company grip.

ScopeEye 07-20-2014 12:15 PM

Hogue is Best...

micocyco 07-20-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleWeaponSolutions (Post 138011100)
Walmart sells innertubes for only a couple of bucks. I wrap all of my grips rifle/pistol with tennis racket grip tape or use rubber Talon Grips.

I was half joking but you know nothing beats free. I looked the tubes at my WM tubes are $5 I also looked at Hogue on amazon they are not bad & if I take the $5 off I would have wasted on the tube :) truth is I don't really have a problem with the stock grip for the kind of tree rat & can plinking I do.

Vividia 07-20-2014 01:34 PM

I have long been a fan of the Hogues on my AR builds. I like the sculpted finger area, and they are very comfortable when you have to hold it one-handed during mag changes, even on the heavier barrel builds.

On the most recent one (300 BLK) I put on the Ergo grips. It is a tad thicker than the Hogue, and the finger grooves are less pronounced. It has the backstrap extension, which is designed to keep your hand lower on the grip rather than higher like on a handgun. It does the job, and I will likely leave it on there, but I still prefer the Hogues at this point. I will give it some time.

The important thing is what grip fits your hand best. I am a woman so my hands are smaller than the average guy's, but in general I don't like grips that are too small.

YMMV

Plymagrad 07-20-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138010943)
Hi guys,

Just found this website, looks like they are new but I like the sound of everything here, quad rail freedom, barrel cut (what is the legal shortest length?), shrouds, triggers, polishing and replacements, any of you guy heard of them and their reputation? maybe these guys can source stuff from across the pond :)

Hi GhostMutt, I am the co-owner of ACP Shooting I wont go into too much on the forum as I think its probably against the forum rules, but please by all means give us a call or email with everything you are after for your 15-22, we are happy to help. We also deal with a few companies in the states so we could possibly help with finding some hard to track parts :D

GhostMutt 07-20-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plymagrad (Post 138011608)
Hi GhostMutt, I am the co-owner of ACP Shooting I wont go into too much on the forum as I think its probably against the forum rules, but please by all means give us a call or email with everything you are after for your 15-22, we are happy to help. We also deal with a few companies in the states so we could possibly help with finding some hard to track parts :D

I got a feeling my wife isn't going to like you guys :D haha, I will get in touch shortly to ask a few things, just quotes and prices and advice and the like, I liked your FB page which I saw recently.
Ben

Hereford 07-20-2014 05:10 PM

I'll be in touch too - finally somewhere close enough to drive to!

GhostMutt 07-20-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleWeaponSolutions (Post 138011098)
Take a look at this article. It is a couple of years old but still has a lot of the popular grips listed.

21 AR Grips compared | Military Times GearScout

I was using the UCWRG Grip 23 until BCM came out with the Mod 2, which I like a lot.

Perfect......many thanks...I can see the exact width...great stuff

Rob1 07-21-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138010943)
Hi guys,

Brilliant !
Not heard of these guys before but will check them out.

Shame I already got most all the extras I was looking for already sourced.

Maybe I will have to get another one so I can mod it out with local parts! :D

Rob

timeighty5 07-21-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett248Vista (Post 138010855)

I agree with Hogue. Insanely comfortable.

Soft OverMolded Rubber : Hogue Inc.

Hereford 07-21-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1 (Post 138012627)
Brilliant !
Not heard of these guys before but will check them out.

Shame I already got most all the extras I was looking for already sourced.

Maybe I will have to get another one so I can mod it out with local parts! :D

Rob

I know! Am contemplating a black MOE to complement my FDE - I'm running out out of picatinny to hang the bling from!!!

FDE ACOG update - am awaiting (best) price and delivery from my dealer - I'll know I've gone full blown if I get one of those!!! :eek:

GhostMutt 07-21-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hereford (Post 138013002)
I know! Am contemplating a black MOE to complement my FDE - I'm running out out of picatinny to hang the bling from!!!

FDE ACOG update - am awaiting (best) price and delivery from my dealer - I'll know I've gone full blown if I get one of those!!! :eek:

I am trying to leave some space to hang my coffee machine :p

Hereford 07-21-2014 01:24 PM

Have tactical flask and also discovered that aside from being able to fit 3 spare .223 rounds in my MOE grip, you can actually substitute the rounds for 3 chocolate fingers! (Those are biscuits, by the way, for our colonial friends!).

Locked-N-Loaded 07-21-2014 03:07 PM

CAA UPG-16 is what I use on all my AR platforms.

GhostMutt 07-21-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hereford (Post 138013149)
Have tactical flask and also discovered that aside from being able to fit 3 spare .223 rounds in my MOE grip, you can actually substitute the rounds for 3 chocolate fingers! (Those are biscuits, by the way, for our colonial friends!).

Ha Ha....I see your tactical flask and tactical treat trove and raise you this.....scroll down and watch the vid :) I'm still laughing, of course I now want one, with AFG as the handle :cool:
Ultimate Tactical Beverage Deployment Device: The Battle Mug : Discovery News

photoracer 07-21-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138010041)
Hey there,

Just a quick one for advice on replacement grip. The stock grip is a little too narrow and I would like a few recommendations regarding new grips that are a little wider and more ergonomically friendly. What do you guys prefer?

The concensus of most serious AR shooters is that Ergo makes the best grips. They also come in an overmolded thicker version for people with big hands. The best thing people say about the Ergos is you don't even feel them. Your hand never gets tired or pinched or sore and the grip never gets slippery, or sticky or anything. I own others like Magpuls and Hogues but those only get used when I am building another rifle and I don't have another Ergo to put on it.

Brett248Vista 07-22-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoracer (Post 138013821)
The concensus of most serious AR shooters is that Ergo makes the best grips. They also come in an overmolded thicker version for people with big hands. The best thing people say about the Ergos is you don't even feel them. Your hand never gets tired or pinched or sore and the grip never gets slippery, or sticky or anything. I own others like Magpuls and Hogues but those only get used when I am building another rifle and I don't have another Ergo to put on it.

Suddenly I find myself at a crossroads. I am obviously not a
serious shooter. Now I have to go and regrip all the AR's and
the hand guns and....

:rolleyes: :D

tomcatt51 07-22-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett248Vista (Post 138014333)
Suddenly I find myself at a crossroads. I am obviously not a serious shooter. :rolleyes:

Same here. Guess I should reconsider driving 5 or 6 hrs and spending nites in lousy motel rooms to shoot the next days' match.

OR I could get Ergo grips and be one of the "most serious"...

timeighty5 07-22-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatt51 (Post 138014692)
Same here. Guess I should reconsider driving 5 or 6 hrs and spending nites in lousy motel rooms to shoot the next days' match.

OR I could get Ergo grips and be one of the "most serious"...

I see what you did there... :D

Kayback 07-22-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138010185)
Haha ARgetsome,

The GBB grips will work just fine on your 15-22. You MAY need to make the safety and rear take down pin retaining detents in the grip. My "416" grip needed that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...95_800x533.jpg

A small 1.5mm or 2mm drill will do it with no issues. The grip MAY need to use a washer to mount properly with the original screw. Make sure it is a GBB one as the AEG ones are thicker and set up differently inside.

This being said, be careful of the MAID system on the 15-22, the rear retaining spring isn't long enough to match the MAID grip. The beavertail in the back of the MAID curves differently to the curve of the 15-22 and there will be a small gap between the two.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...45_800x533.jpg

PTS is still VERY good gear, especially for a 15-22. For center fire calibers I'd avoid it, but a rimfire? Rock on. Airsoft guns aren't treated with kid gloves.

My 15-22 currently has a CAA modular grip, a PTS CRT stock and either a PTS AFG or cut down PTS VFG on it.

KBK

wbear 07-22-2014 08:30 PM

Ergo's are nice grips though. At first try they feel thin compared to others but not while actually shooting.

If you don't have to have rubber and are not a "chicken wing" shooter try BCM Gunfighter mod 1 or mod 3 (thicker at the top).

GhostMutt 07-23-2014 04:30 AM

I must admit, stationary offhand precision shooting I still employ the extended elbow or chicken wing style, I was at the range on Monday night and tried the more modern QCB hold with the elbow 'out of harms ways', stance, and I think because of the way my body and the rifle work, that the grip angle on either stance really does not effect myself that much, so I think I'm looking for a slightly wider grip that is more comfortable than the stock, to simply extend my hold on the grip to make it easier for my guitar playing fingers to 'pad' and not 'joint' the trigger.

wbear 07-23-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138016141)
I must admit, stationary offhand precision shooting I still employ the extended elbow or chicken wing style, I was at the range on Monday night and tried the more modern QCB hold with the elbow 'out of harms ways', stance, and I think because of the way my body and the rifle work, that the grip angle on either stance really does not effect myself that much, so I think I'm looking for a slightly wider grip that is more comfortable than the stock, to simply extend my hold on the grip to make it easier for my guitar playing fingers to 'pad' and not 'joint' the trigger.

Sounds like the BCM Gunfighter would be perfect for you. Has the beaver tail to give the extended trigger pull and is wider than stock. You get the trigger guard gap tab, a great non slip grip surface and the nicest storage compartment door I've seen.

The quality and construction of these grips are second to none including magpul. I am using them on all my AR's now.

I started out with the mod 3 cause it was $8 cheaper to try. Then went with the mod 1 to see if I liked the slightly thinner top section. Get both and sell the other to one of your buddy's across the pond.

Check out the videos on the web site. It gives an excellent comparison and will answer all your questions.

BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Pistol Grip for AR-15, M16, M4

trebor127 07-26-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostMutt (Post 138013044)
I am trying to leave some space to hang my coffee machine :p

HaHa i think i have already run out of space on my rail for mine;)

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC_0144.jpg

keith

Rob1 07-27-2014 02:54 AM

WOW!

Makes me wish I had called in for a coffee. :D

Rob

karrrhu3 07-27-2014 04:55 PM

I got MIAD for 15 and 15-22. Fits my hand with the largest insert.

trebor127 07-27-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1 (Post 138023044)
WOW!

Makes me wish I had called in for a coffee. :D

Rob

Rob :) and on par with starbucks;)

keith

trebor127 07-27-2014 06:53 PM

i also have the MIAD grip,but i dont like the gap the beavertail

leaves to the receiver:(

keith

Rob1 07-28-2014 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor127 (Post 138024200)
Rob :) and on par with starbucks;)

keith

Bah!!!!! Next week when I'm up in Sheffield might have to just keep going and take up that pre offered cup o Joe. :D. With sprinkles ??? Hahaha

Mark